REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #26
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Not many here would walk down Hastings in the DTES either, so your point is moot. If some drug addict stumbled into me, I'd push them away, regardless of age, sex, or size.

If your example was some nice old lady in Kits or Kerrisdale it holds water, yet sine the majority here shudder at the thought of even walking those 3 blocks of Hastings, the comparison is apples and oranges.

Watch the entire video of her actions. She walks around 2 people before encountering the officers, then afterwards walks over to a group of people. She knew when to get out of the way, yet didn't cause she's part of the low class DTES that have no respect for the law.
Right. So if it was some older rich lady in Kits or Kerrisdale then it would be ok, but because it is some lady who has a variety of health issues it is ok. That makes a lot of sense.
Advertisement
Blue_StreakR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_StreakR View Post
Right. So if it was some older rich lady in Kits or Kerrisdale then it would be ok, but because it is some lady who has a variety of health issues and looks like a stumbling addict in an area overwhelmingly populated with addicts it is ok. That makes a lot of sense.
I added the context you left out so it makes sense.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I added the context you left out so it makes sense.
Dude you're a cunt, just like that VPD pig.

If the officers were decent people, and they joined the force to "serve and protect" the public, they should be the ones moving the fuck out of the way of an old retarded woman, not the other way around.

Instead, they think they are the shit, power tripping assholes, and everyone else is beneath them, just because they have a badge and a gun / taser.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

http://www.oln.ca/details.php?id=99

Quote:
The Beat
Airing: Saturdays at 10:00pm & Sundays at 9:00pm ET/PT

Never before have television cameras had unlimited access to the police that patrol Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, one of the most controversial neighborhoods in North America. The Beat is a ten-part docu-soap series that presents a gritty, behindthe-scenes look at the challenges faced by The Beat Enforcement Team’s Squad Three, as they tirelessly work to maintain order in a community crippled by poverty, drug addiction and mental illness.

Drawn from hundreds of hours of footage, shot night and day over six full months, The Beat captures every corner and crevasse of the Downtown Eastside’s 12 square blocks. See rooming house raids, undercover sting operations, stakeouts, petty thieves and major drug gangs being brought to justice in a neighborhood that’s home to an estimated 5,000 hardcore drug users and a population with the highest HIV infection rate in the developed world. The Beat also offers a glimpse at the officers away from their daily patrols, where the rigors of work are balanced with the pleasures of family life.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #30
racing & tech mod.

Yes there are cops who are chest-beating jerks, but I really believe it's the minority.

I have dealt with a LOT of police in the past few years, some if which are friends and/or customers, and I can honestly say they have all been decent experiences and they are all decent people.

It's only the odd 4-5 cops out of over 1000 members that attract media attention and make them all look bad.

And even then you can have a decent person make a poor decision in the heat of the moment... it doesn't make them a bad person, per se.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I don't have much respect for the police in general. They haven't caught even one suspect related to the gang shootings yet they have ad's on the radio talking about how giving out tickets for traffic violations is fighting crime.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #32
Banned (BBM)

didnt you know? tats wat they do best

traffic and VI yo

hand it out like its chinese new year already, red pockets anyone?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

VPD has apologized so many times this year already. its getting ridiculous.
Can i apologize the next time i get pulled over for speeding and get out of it?

And in this incidence, could the officer just ask that woman what was wrong instead of just shoving her to the ground?

its just f*cked up how they act on force rather than knowing the situation.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #34
Banned (BBM)

i apologized and it didnt do shit

lol
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
Dude you're a cunt, just like that VPD pig.

If the officers were decent people, and they joined the force to "serve and protect" the public, they should be the ones moving the fuck out of the way of an old retarded woman, not the other way around.

Instead, they think they are the shit, power tripping assholes, and everyone else is beneath them, just because they have a badge and a gun / taser.
Go on a ride-along and see what these officers have to deal with everyday before you criticize.

For the record, I have gone on a ride-along, and it did change my opinion of what officers had to deal with, cause I used to be ignorant and think like you do.

I don't have enough fails to give you for calling any officer a pig, that's disrespectful and shows your bias towards officers.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #36
racing & tech mod.

Not sure what to say.. From this, I do feel a little sympathy for the woman, although I have to admit, if I had someone - man or woman - stumble upon me like that in that part of town - pushing them away from me is the first thing I'd do too.

Although I gotta add again.. the guys were walking 3 abreast on a crowded street. I fucking HATE when people are sidewalk hogs.

Quote:

By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Thursday Jul. 22, 2010 9:08 PM PT
The disabled woman shown in surveillance footage being shoved to the ground by a Vancouver police officer says cops need to treat people in the Downtown Eastside with more respect.

Twenty-six-year-old Sandy suffers from cerebral palsy and walks with a pronounced limp. She has lived in Canada's poorest neighbourhood for seven years.

She was walking in front of the Lux Hotel on East Hastings Street on June 9 when she came upon three police officers, walking side-by-side. When she tried to walk between them, one of the officers pushed her to the ground.

Sandy told CTV News she did nothing to provoke the officers.

"He pushed me down because he thought I was going to grab their gun, and I told him three times I have a disability -- cerebral palsy -- and then all three of them walked away and didn't pick me up."

The entire exchange was caught on surveillance video. The officers are shown walking away while Sandy lies on the ground; after a few moments, someone else helps her up.

Sandy says she never thought she'd need to protect herself from the police.

"I get picked on all the time, but I never expect that from the officers or people that are higher power," she said. "I know they're good most of the time, but stuff like this happens. It's not right."

Sandy believes that the Vancouver Police Department needs to train its officers to treat residents of the Downtown Eastside with more respect.

"They've got to have better training. They judge the Eastside a lot because we're poor, and they take advantage of us here a lot," Sandy told CTV News.

"Do I trust the police? Ha…. I can't answer that. It comes and goes."

A statement released to media by the VPD Thursday said the officer reported the incident to his supervisor several hours after it happened. His actions, and why no one helped Sandy, are now the subject of a probe by the force's Professional Standards Section.

The officer involved has also apologized for his actions.

"Our officers are well-trained, but they do make mistakes, and when they do, we've apologized for that," Cpl. Jana McGuinness told reporters.

The officer does regular foot patrols in the Downtown Eastside and has been on the job since March of 2009. Sandy has no previous record with police.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 07-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Go on a ride-along and see what these officers have to deal with everyday before you criticize.

For the record, I have gone on a ride-along, and it did change my opinion of what officers had to deal with, cause I used to be ignorant and think like you do.

I don't have enough fails to give you for calling any officer a pig, that's disrespectful and shows your bias towards officers.
Wow what they have to deal with... It's probably not 1/10th of what cops in a major US city have to deal with. Give me a break. Cops got it easy here. Why do they join the force? Protect and serve? Yeah right. Government job, benefits, some drug dealing on the side... Can't even get fuckin fired if you fuck up. Sounds like a sweet gig!
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #38
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

take all these f@ggot, corrupt, power trippin cops

line em up against the wall, 1 between the eyes to all of em

better world for all of us
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Wow what they have to deal with... It's probably not 1/10th of what cops in a major US city have to deal with. Give me a break. Cops got it easy here. Why do they join the force? Protect and serve? Yeah right. Government job, benefits, some drug dealing on the side... Can't even get fuckin fired if you fuck up. Sounds like a sweet gig!
Trust me man, Vancouver IS a major city, and some pretty messed up shit does happen here. Alot of the times it's not reported on the news, either.

I don't mind the pushing on the ground (have to protect your gun, plus any chance of needles/knives), but the way he acted afterwards is what the officer should be embarrassed about. This however, don't think warrants all this media and any possible suspensions,etc.

Also, if cops are trained to be "too nice", and eventually you will get a case where cops are being walked over, or too lenient. We shouldn't fear cops, but we should respect them.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #40
racing & tech mod.

Everyone is so quick to pass judgement.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #41
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Why the Police is at Fault = Why we would be
(If we did the same, on the streets, at the mall, in the school hallway).

1. They walked 3 abreast.
    I doubt that's in their operational handbook, but when you do that, you are in a bullying stance. Look at all those little punk kids that think they are the cat's ass. That's how they move as a pack.
  2. Not letting somebody who's stumbling have the right of way.
    If they are on the streets everyday, you should learn to weave.
    We do it at the mall.
    Cause we'd be asses if we didn't right?
  3. Shoving.
    Do I even need to elaborate?

And as for saying, not giving them more stress?
Um, their job is to serve and protect.
Not, bully and intimidate.

They SHOULD fear for their jobs when they do something inappropriate (as defined by the public). We are their employers.
We would fear for ours if we messed up the company image at work too right?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #42
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i think majority of the vpd were picked on as kids and they joined the force just to be assholes. they need to be more respectful.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Wow what they have to deal with... It's probably not 1/10th of what cops in a major US city have to deal with. Give me a break.
No breaks, cause you've probably only seen what American officers do on TV shows.

My brother-in-law is a detective in Albuquerque and used to be a beat cop in one of the highest crime rate areas of the country. The DTES scared him while he was here.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #44
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
she is 26 ? living on the street without care do aging faster
she looks like she is in her 40s
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Why the Police is at Fault = Why we would be
(If we did the same, on the streets, at the mall, in the school hallway).

They walked 3 abreast.
I doubt that's in their operational handbook, but when you do that, you are in a bullying stance.

Um, their job is to serve and protect.
Not, bully and intimidate.
At the mall, in school, ... you are correct, it is a bullying stance.
In the DTES it is for their own protection, power in numbers.

Context is everything. Instead of comparing it to the mall or high school, how about comparing it to soldiers in a war zone. In the mall someone who bumps into you will turn and apologize. In the DTES they might pick a fight, stab you with a needle, ... so your comparisons are just stupid. Yes, a 90lb woman may turn and stab a 200 lb officer with a gun, that is the reality of the DTES addicts have mental problems and are on drugs preventing them from making good decisions.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #46
Banned (ABWS)

there was an whole page full spread in the province in the paper this morning. the woman was 100% not at fault. surprised the cops didn't tase her like they did to robert jukanski.
the coverage on this should make Jim Chu start to worry about his job because cops in vancouver are so shady not all but lots of them
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...-eastside.html

Some interesting quotes from the article:

Quote:
"I was walking home and I reached my hand up because I was trying to get through … but the tall guy pushed me down because they thought I was grabbing their gun because I touched the belt," she said.
This is an automatic no-no, especially in that area, and she knows better. Even if you remotely look like you're going for their weapons, you're going down.

Quote:
"He has no right to do that at all . … People of authority just disrespecting me like this, or anybody at all, it should be no excuse. Everybody should be treated equally."
Quote:
"The police in this neighbourhood need to be specially trained and they need to be special people," Pedersen said. "And they need to know how to deal with conflict and their own anger really well, and they also have to be educated about dealing with stereotypes and discrimination."
I thought they all wanted to be treated equal? Oh ya, they want to act different, have special privileges, yet get the same treatment as the rest of society. No way.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #48
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
It wasn't really necessary, by the time he pushed her there was no real threat of her grabbing his gun and shooting them all dead like Clint Eastwood. Yeah cops have a hard job sometimes, but they chose it so deal with it. If you were walking in the dtes and got pushed to the ground by one of them would you stand up and salute them, perhaps say thank you sir may I have another? Scared of junkies? Move out of the way. They are more likely to get stabbed with a needle blocking the whole walkway
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #49
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Since we have ridiculous posts in here talking about lining up cops and shooting them, I figure I'd add an equally ridiculous (and possibly plausible) solution.

Every month, a fleet of individuals, either privately contracted or paid public servants, who arm themselves with full automatic weapons. Their job, should they be able to stomach it and the reprecussions, is to find and kill any of the following:
-mentally-challenged people
-drug addicts
-drug dealers
-homeless people
-crab people

There. I said it. No one's going to admit it, but deep down you know that exterminating these folks would make our lives all sunshines and lollipops.

Watch. A bunch of guys are going to be like "WTF you're an asshole for saying that". No doubt the same guys who quickly label all cops power-tripping pigs who are deeply hurt by their VIs because they can't accept that their tint is illegal, their exhaust is too loud, and their ricer HIDs blind EVERYBODY.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Yes there are cops who are chest-beating jerks, but I really believe it's the minority.
Thats how humans are. There was a study where people were given positions of authority in a prison and they totally abused their powers. It was a documentary in a prison where they gathered a group of volunteers for the experiment.

The only place i've ever seen totally transparency and fairness is Japan. People over there are all equal and treat each other with respect!
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote