REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #51
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
What they mean by buying for status is that people who buy "BMW" for luxury status really aren't getting much luxury. For example with a car like an m3, people buy it for the car's legendary performance and they are getting that. However I won't disagree with you that underneath and extensively testing the car over the last 38 months I have to disagree with what some members have said.
The so called "BMW Status" is to have a european car. BMW has never really been about Luxury, more or less sportiness and performance. The 1 series, 3 series, X3, and M series have all been not too luxury vehicles but were meant to be a fun performance vehicle. BMW luxury is stepping into the big dogs like 5 series, 6 series, 7 seires etc. If you wanted a name because of luxury, then call upon Mercedes-Benz (except AMG models). My point of people buying even the expensive models for status is that i've seen more M6's than 645i/650i. They are all just putting around town, and not used to their potential and what they were created for (not good for M-Cars). That is what i call, buying a car for "Status".
Advertisement

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #52
Banned (ABWS)

you ppl are misunderstanding my argument.

No one said the X3 drives like a Dodge Caravan or a Neon, and it better not for ~$45k.

It obviously has decent grip in the city, decent suspension, and what not for its price tag, otherwise it will be the ultimate joke.

Just that for its price vs utility, there are wayyy better choices out there.

Like you said, a fully loaded Toyota Highlander will run about the same price. Yet, ppl still choose the $45 BMW over a $45k Toyota partly because of the influence of the brand. The toyota highlander has way more capabilities than the x3; it's bigger, better offroad, just as much grip in the snow, more loaded, higher ground clearance(?), cheaper insurance(?), etc...

I'm pretty sure some of the x3 owners were looking for a highlander sized SUV but because the x3 costed the same and it's a BMW, they chose the x3 instead.

I'm not saying you ppl are part of that group, but I'm just saying that there are some ppl like that.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #53
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I must be in the minority. I like the 1st gen X3 3.0si with a manual. It drives likes a 330i ZHP with more headroom, and they are fairly cheap to import from the states (no duties!)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #54

Ok fine here's a stock pic:

Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #55
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post

No one said the X3 drives like a Dodge Caravan or a Neon, and it better not for ~$45k.

It obviously has decent grip in the city, decent suspension, and what not for its price tag, otherwise it will be the ultimate joke.

Like you said, a fully loaded Toyota Highlander will run about the same price. Yet, ppl still choose the $45 BMW over a $45k Toyota partly because of the influence of the brand. The toyota highlander has way more capabilities than the x3; it's bigger, better offroad, just as much grip in the snow, more loaded, higher ground clearance(?), cheaper insurance(?), etc...

I'm pretty sure some of the x3 owners were looking for a highlander sized SUV but because the x3 costed the same and it's a BMW, they chose the x3 instead.

I'm not saying you ppl are part of that group, but I'm just saying that there are some ppl like that.
I think the point skylinergtr was trying to make and the same point i am making is that, during a few years of its run in canada the X3 had some crazy lease deals, that would get you an equivalent of a Rav4, not a bad car in any sense but most people looking to lease would probably choose the x3 just because there are no worries for the first 4 years anyways which works out great if you're only leasing it for 3-4 years
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #56

Quote:

You make a good point. I made a mistake by relating the X3 to a Highlander. Lets say if I compare it to more of a "brand competitor", the Lexus RX350. I have driven one, my friend has one. It does have the technology, and luxury that the BMW doesn't have (A bmw is more sporty than pipe and slippers to me), but i would still take the X3 over the RX. I am an enthusiast that enjoys the "fun to drive factor". A Highlander, or RX350 (very similar really) did not satisfy at all. Even the power was not decent. Judging from experiences here I guess the people who have actually driven/own BMW X3's can agree that they are a great car, but then some could argue that we are just being bias.

a little off-topic, but another reason why I like the X3 to say an X5 is because its actually made in europe (Austria to be exact). I've seen plenty of X5's with problems like velocity shafts and such and I would prefer my car with a european automaker name to be actually made in europe (unlike the X5).

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
1999 BMW 540i
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #57
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
You make a good point. I made a mistake by relating the X3 to a Highlander. Lets say if I compare it to more of a "brand competitor", the Lexus RX350. I have driven one, my friend has one. It does have the technology, and luxury that the BMW doesn't have (A bmw is more sporty than pipe and slippers to me), but i would still take the X3 over the RX. I am an enthusiast that enjoys the "fun to drive factor". A Highlander, or RX350 (very similar really) did not satisfy at all.
But then here's the problem I have with that argument: If you're looking for something that has sporting influence, why bother looking at a cute-ute in the first place? I've driven plenty of SUV's and the very last thing that comes to mind when I do is that it was "sporty." Utilitarian, yes. Off-road capable, yes. But sport? Never. But if you want something that's sporty and capable of carrying more than a coupe, why not look at some form of sport wagon? They're able to hold almost as much as most SUV's, and they're much better to drive.

I'll admit that I'm biased against SUV's in general; yes, I love going off-road in 'em, but for driving around town, there are far better vehicles to do so in that are much more economical and have much more cargo space, while maintaining the build quality and technology within it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #58
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
You make a good point. I made a mistake by relating the X3 to a Highlander. Lets say if I compare it to more of a "brand competitor", the Lexus RX350. I have driven one, my friend has one. It does have the technology, and luxury that the BMW doesn't have (A bmw is more sporty than pipe and slippers to me), but i would still take the X3 over the RX. I am an enthusiast that enjoys the "fun to drive factor". A Highlander, or RX350 (very similar really) did not satisfy at all. Even the power was not decent. Judging from experiences here I guess the people who have actually driven/own BMW X3's can agree that they are a great car, but then some could argue that we are just being bias.

a little off-topic, but another reason why I like the X3 to say an X5 is because its actually made in europe (Austria to be exact). I've seen plenty of X5's with problems like velocity shafts and such and I would prefer my car with a european automaker name to be actually made in europe (unlike the X5).

i'm sorry but rx350 feels like a big sofa on 4 wheels you could almost fall asleep driving it, its that boring. x3 vs. q5 vs fx35 vs. toureg would be a better comparison?

to lomac, some people need the extra space and ground clearance but can't afford or don't want to maintain 2 cars. Just because people have more needs than a sedan can handle doesn't mean that they HAVE to sacrifice the handling and the sporty feeling. You should test drive some of the newer crossovers, you might be surprise at how it handles.

Of course wagon would make the perfect sense in that circumstance but i doubt north americans can accept wagons like european can.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
But then here's the problem I have with that argument: If you're looking for something that has sporting influence, why bother looking at a cute-ute in the first place? I've driven plenty of SUV's and the very last thing that comes to mind when I do is that it was "sporty." Utilitarian, yes. Off-road capable, yes. But sport? Never. But if you want something that's sporty and capable of carrying more than a coupe, why not look at some form of sport wagon? They're able to hold almost as much as most SUV's, and they're much better to drive.

I'll admit that I'm biased against SUV's in general; yes, I love going off-road in 'em, but for driving around town, there are far better vehicles to do so in that are much more economical and have much more cargo space, while maintaining the build quality and technology within it.
The X3 classification of a vehicle is a bit of a mistery. It drives exactly like a 3 series (it's the same chassis). Its considered a SUV by some, but in reality its in the SAV (sport activity vehicle) category. It cute-ute by appearance to attract the female gender. Even though i love the car, its a girly looking car to be honest. Its perfect for any women really who doesn't want a big SUV. BMW has always had the Sporty approach and thats what makes this car so amazing in my books. It can handle anything i put it through. I've taken it through 3 feet of snow. I've taken it through inclines of gravel/sand. I've taken corners very fast. I've taken it to the 210km/hr limiter. I enjoy the drive of the x3 very much. The wagon can do most of all of it, however it lacks in ground clearance which is what the x3 gains in. This makes it better for Snow, Gravel, Sand, etc. I havent taken it to an actual offroad course, but i mean who would even take an x5 there.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
1999 BMW 540i
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #60
F**K YOUR HEAD

Ground clearance is one thing but ride height is probably more important to buyers. Better forward visibility isn't a bad thing to have. Also the car is relatively compact but offers decent space. We chose the x3 over the 3 because the 3 was shorter and the wheel well intrudes into the rear sseat a lot more. Making it very uncomfortable for seating 3 people in the back. X3 is a little flatter in the back so it feels wider. The actual dimensions are quite similar though
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
^ if a buyer is looking for better forward visibility, he buys a minivan, not SUV

SUV is for people who think bigger car = safer in car crash and for kids to play monkey swing at the back seats
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #62
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
The X3 classification of a vehicle is a bit of a mistery. It drives exactly like a 3 series (it's the same chassis). Its considered a SUV by some, but in reality its in the SAV (sport activity vehicle) category. It cute-ute by appearance to attract the female gender. Even though i love the car, its a girly looking car to be honest. Its perfect for any women really who doesn't want a big SUV. BMW has always had the Sporty approach and thats what makes this car so amazing in my books. It can handle anything i put it through. I've taken it through 3 feet of snow. I've taken it through inclines of gravel/sand. I've taken corners very fast. I've taken it to the 210km/hr limiter. I enjoy the drive of the x3 very much. The wagon can do most of all of it, however it lacks in ground clearance which is what the x3 gains in. This makes it better for Snow, Gravel, Sand, etc. I havent taken it to an actual offroad course, but i mean who would even take an x5 there.
Bingo, we have a winner.

This is what I've been trying to say..

the X3...
is like a suv, but not really a suv
is cute, but not really cute
is girly looking, but not really girly looking
is able to go through snow, but so can a corolla with winters
is able to go off roading(?), but can't really go off roading
is able to take corner fasts, but not really fast
is able to accelerate, but not superbly fast
has high ground clearance, but not really high
has space, but not a lot of space
is relatively compact, but not compact
is not in the same class as a 3 series, and not in the same class as a X5

an X3 can do almost everything, but it can't do anything well. I think this is the same point that top gear made.

If this is what you really want, then by all mean.. buy it if you got $45k.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #63
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
you didn't factor in how much more a bmw cost compare to other brands. people that can afford bmw shouldn't have any problem paying for the maintenance while people that struggle to pay for maintenance cant afford a bmw.
thats why they are fucking posers

i see it all the time, ppl that drives 3 series/ A4 etc asking for the cheapest tires or complaining $1000 dollar for a set of rims is too expensive

they should all be rolling on canadian tires steelies if they are that cheap
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #64

Austria?
I thought the X3 and Z3/Z4 were all made in South Carolina, US??

Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #65
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa77 View Post
its a nice reliable, good looking car, with good power. Get over it. People dont buy x3s just for the badge (no idiot is gonna spend 45gs on a car just for the badge), its for a family of 4 that need a little bit more room than a sedan, however not big like fullsize suvs. My dad just bought one and it handles like a dream, the straight 6 is money and its roomy and comfy as tits. It looks 100x better than the nasty ass looking GLK350 not mention its waaaaaaay more fun to drive than the bulky GLK.

ya think
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

i see it all the time, ppl that drives 3 series/ A4 etc asking for the cheapest tires or complaining $1000 dollar for a set of rims is too expensive

there's nothing with being cheap and trying to save yourself money. Personally i'm not that cheap of a guy, but hey if i can i'll try to save money on things like tires. Some of my family friends are filthy rich and they are some of the cheapest SOB's ever. The posers that annoy you are anyone with a 323i's that are happy they have a "BMW". What posers really annoy me are old men or laddies of whatever culture driving a BMW M6, or Mercedes AMG car and are driving under the speed limit.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
1999 BMW 540i
Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Austria?
I thought the X3 and Z3/Z4 were all made in South Carolina, US??
The BMW Z3, Z4, X5, and X6 are the US (South Carolina) made BMW's. The X3 has always been manufactured in Austria. There is talk about if BMW is going to manufacture the X3 in the US for the new 2011 model.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
1999 BMW 540i
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #68
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
wow so much x3 hate. Speaking from experience as my mom has one. I for one will say its a great car. The pictures posted in the beginning of the new 2011 model do look more ugly, however the new white (M package) one that was posted looks a lot better. Honestly, its not the best looking BMW. Infact, it was made for ladies. My mom is a small person, that doesn't want a big SUV so this car is just perfect for her. She is on her second X3 right now and we've never had a problem. Whenever i get a chance I'll decide to drive it because its so fun to drive. Very agile, and rev happy (7000rpm reline). Quick on its feet, brakes are solid, and handles like fucking dream. It's no different than a 3-series. It is not comparable to the X5. The X5 is a different class of a class, and infact it drives more like a truck (still a very good vehicle). From what i've seen and experienced I find the X3 a more than decent vehicle, and find it loads of fun to drive. It is especially good in the snow. I live in the hills of West Vancouver, and from the winters a few years ago with snow fall over 3 feet, it easily maneuvered anywhere. I even took it cypress for some fun. This is just my opinion.

its not that bad....

Regarding the exhaust tips on your moms X3. It looks like a dual outlet tip right? How come it looks like one hole is fake and only the other hole has actual function of letting out the smoke.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #69
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
holy crap just when you thought it couldn't get any uglier..
Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #70
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

Well, if they like the car themselves and didn't buy it to "show off" to others, it wouldn't be posing would it?
I drove a 323i for a short period before, and even though it's quite slow, it still "feels" like a BMW when you drive it. For those not looking for performance, but want the other characteristics of a BMW, why would they spend less money on a cheaper car which doesn't offer them what they want, when they can afford a BMW?
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #71
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Bingo, we have a winner.

This is what I've been trying to say..

the X3...
is like a suv, but not really a suv
is cute, but not really cute
is girly looking, but not really girly looking
is able to go through snow, but so can a corolla with winters
is able to go off roading(?), but can't really go off roading
is able to take corner fasts, but not really fast
is able to accelerate, but not superbly fast
has high ground clearance, but not really high
has space, but not a lot of space
is relatively compact, but not compact
is not in the same class as a 3 series, and not in the same class as a X5

an X3 can do almost everything, but it can't do anything well. I think this is the same point that top gear made.

If this is what you really want, then by all mean.. buy it if you got $45k.
The problem is that you are comparing all those things to cars in a different class, it's not compact compared to a yaris, it's off road ability is not comparable to a wrangler, the ground clearance isn't anything like a dodge power wagon. But that's not the point because it can just as easily be said that the yaris doesn't have the same amount of space or the wrangler doesn't feel as nimble. But when you compare the X3 to similar cars in it's class ie. GLK, RDX, Q5 it's not as incompetent as you make it sound. but the fact of the matter is the points you have made are irrelevant
Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #72
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Had the honour to drive the X3 along with its competitors half a year ago when we were shopping for a SUV.

I've driven the old X3 3.0, and it handled really well for a SUV. The engine lacked power compared to its competitors but it was very smooth revving. Its interior was by far the cheapest.. and I disliked the exterior.

The GLK had a better interior, had more "oomph" because of its 3.5L V6. The 7speed gearbox was very very smooth. Not a fan of its styling. The long hood made it hard to judge when parking. Big windows helped a lot though. Very light steering and VERY mushy pedal feel.

Q5, hands down, had the BEST exterior and interior. Felt like the rear has the least leg room though. Pretty light steering feel. This was the most expensive of the bunch though!

RDX was actually very decent. The AWD system vectors torque to the outside wheels during cornering. Probably the best AWD system out of these SUVs. The engine while sounded pretty clunky was very powerful. The steering was beautifully weighted, but could've been a bit stiffer. It's also the cheapest out of the bunch!
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #73
Banned (BBM)

yup rather choose RDX or shell out a bit more cash for Q5 than that pos
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #74
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
its obvious all the haters in here had never actually driven a X3 like it should be driven before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #75
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

what a useless thread.
IMO, buying a car is all about preference
and if having a BMW key is part of ur preference, the decision to buy one is a good choice.
some people buy it for looks, performance, brand, sport, utility, etc
dont be hating on people who buy low end bmws.

why not hate on those people who buy the authentic jdm red honda emblem for $$$ wen u can get an exact same replica for dirt cheap?
its about the feeling of having authentic. and if people want a bmw, why not?

not saying that i like the x3 though.

Last edited by simsimi1004; 07-28-2010 at 09:19 PM.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote