REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #26
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,949 Times in 585 Posts
I didn't test drive mine before buying.
Advertisement
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The test drive I took the X on was so lame that it wouldn't have mattered whether I test drove it or not. Bought it anyways.

Now you have to ask yourself... are you going to track the STI? If the answer is no, why do you need 300HP! Speeding will pwn you!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
If you are just a young guy wearing casually, and just go in for a test drive, the first thing that comes to their head is that this guy is just gonna take a joy ride.
I see your point, and it's only fair to expect salesmen to not cater to the young punks who just want to test drive for the hell of it.
But I am serious about buying a car and I made my intentions clear from the start.
I don't feel that I should have to impress anyone, by wearing a suit or any other means, just to receive an opportunity to test drive a car.
To dismiss a potential client purely based on what they're wearing is quite narrow-minded in my opinion.
LanEvoMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #29
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
^
I was at Richmond Subaru like a month ago with a friend who was looking to buy an Impreza. The salesman said we needed to put down a $1000 deposit before even going near the damn thing. He's 30, if that counts for anything. It all comes down to the salesman.

If you honestly want to test drive the car, your best bet is to talk to a manager and tell them that you'll put down a good deposit on the car. Refundable of course, and go from there. You'll get nothing and just waste your time talking to a regular salesman.

Funny thing though. My friend was refused a test drive for the WRX, but we went to the Lexus dealership and he got to drive the GS 350 no questions asked. Checked out a G37 at Infiniti, and got nothing.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #30
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Hmm interesting when I went to Subaru Dealer about 6 months ago in richmond they had over 8 STi hatches in the lot, when my dad asked to test drive the 265hp hatch no questions asked at both richmond and don docksteader. So yeah I guess i have to agree with what some have said about dealer thinks of you
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #31

^ 265hp hatch is not a STI, it's a regular wrx. STI's have 305hp.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
^
I was at Richmond Subaru like a month ago with a friend who was looking to buy an Impreza. The salesman said we needed to put down a $1000 deposit before even going near the damn thing. He's 30, if that counts for anything. It all comes down to the salesman.
Weird, I test drove a 2010 WRX no problem. I'm around the same age as your friend.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #33
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

the sales asked my friend to put down 5000 to test drive a sti hatch... at the richmond subaru dealership. As for bring ur parents... same thing since he brought his parents afterwards
but when i went to look at evo X or sti... the sales didnt really know much about the car
Nismo 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #34
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Deposit shouldn't be much of an issue to allow you to test drive it. After all, dealers are required by law to refund you the deposit if you choose to back out. It is a bit of an inconvenience though but if you were serious, why would it matter whether you put down that deposit or not?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #35

I wouldn't mind if I had to put a deposit down, but the thing is I wasn't even given the option, that's the lame part.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #36
RS controls my life!

my buddy and I we test drove a sti before i bought one and we test drove for an hour at richmond subaru
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCivic View Post
my buddy and I we test drove a sti before i bought one and we test drove for an hour at richmond subaru
cool, who was your sales guy, if you don't mind me asking?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i previously purchased a wrx from Richmond Subaru, and have kept decent ties with the salesperson... I've brought a couple friends in to check out stuff, and we've gotten to take out cars for test drives with no problems, and the staff doesn't even need to come with... he just signs us out and we go do our own thing and bring it back later
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Go find a preowned 08 or 09 and test drive it
Posted via RS Mobile
ALEX1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #40
RS controls my life!

Bought from kenny but the sales that let us drive was a white girl that looked a bit crackwhoreish lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanEvoMR View Post
cool, who was your sales guy, if you don't mind me asking?
Posted via RS Mobile
Posted via RS Mobile
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #41
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
I test drove an X... they were pretty hesitant though, but they went for it.
Which dealership did you go to? Newtype?
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #42
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Weird, I test drove a 2010 WRX no problem. I'm around the same age as your friend.
I test drove an 06 WRX way back when it just came out with the facelift.
No deposit. I was clearly looking for a joyride.
Went there in my 240, in t-shirt and jeans. 18.

Refused the first time, then then same week he called me in and told me to come for a test drive.

Jamie Tieche or soemthing. White guy. I think he's at the Suzuki dealership now though.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #43
I don't get it

I got the same story last year when I was looking at the STi. I told the salesman that the guys from Mitsubishi didn't have any problems letting me drive the EVO and that I would never buy a car without a proper test drive. The salesman photocopied my driver license and handed me the keys to a brand new STi on the lot. There was a group of younger guys looking at the WRX at the same time and they were told the same story that nobody gets to test drive the WRXs and STis as I was walking by with keys to the STi parked outside. I was wearing an old t-shirt with cargo shorts too.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #44
Banned By Establishment

if the salesman genuinely thinks you're interested in buying the car, he'll let you test drive one with a deposit.
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #45
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
As much as I understand the "Exclusiveness" and "Uniqueness" of an STi, I couldn't imagine buying any car without test driving it first. Who knows, you could end up not liking the way it drives for one reason or another.

The easiest test drive I had was with a 08 Cobalt SS, the salesman just threw me the keys and said "Have fun, we're not responsible for speeding tickets"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #46
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
^i love those test drives
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #47
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
if you have a relationship with any dealership it's way easier to get them to toss you the keys for anything on the lot

one day a buddy of mine who his family bought 3 cars brand new from Langley Acura brought his TL in for service, during the 2 hour service we took out a brand new RL and RSX Type S 6 speed, basically we just walked in and grabbed the keys and booked it outa there lol

obviously different when you havent bought a vehicle from a dealership, but if your family has dealt with one before, just go back to the same one and deal with the guy who sold your family the vehicle, he'll probably be much more likely to let it go
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #48
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
I hope you're not serious with that advice. I'm not there to impress anyone; if anything, the salesmen should be there to impress me.
do u get to test drive exotics before you buy them?

but then again it also depends how desperate the dealership is hahaha

if only u get to test drive chicks before you buy em a drink
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #49
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Each subaru store only gets a couple STIs which are usually spoken for anyways. I've been in twice to the subbie dealer in North shore while my car was being serviced and both times they didnt have any stis, and all the ones on the way were already spoken for...

if you were the sales person, what woudl you rather:
A) a person who buys it over the phone 6 months early and picks it up with no questions asked.
B) A younger guy coming for a test drive who is gonna ask a million questions and possibly not even buy the car...
i was there yesterday. they have a white sti hatch in the showroom right now, and i saw a pair of 2011 wrx sedans outside (although one had some sort of ontario temp plate on it).
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #50
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
I am seriously considering getting the 2011 subaru STi, but so far I have had no luck with finding anywhere to test drive. The salesmen just say that no one test drives the STi, they just buy it. But I find it pretty difficult to buy a car that I have not even test driven.

Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

I am deciding between regular WRX and the STi. The payments on the WRX are considerably lower. Is the STi worth the extra money?
I have connections with Richmond Subaru.

If you really want to try one of their 2011 STis on their lot, PM me.

I used to have the Hatch, but now I like the 4-door now

Last edited by cococly; 10-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote