REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #51
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i'm still on a roll at pt roberts and have yet to be asked to pay for duty. i used to be constantly hassled by the US border side when doing a blaine pickup.
Advertisement
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,082 Times in 961 Posts
Anyone heard of Kinek? They dont have an annual fee.

Shipping to Blaine, Washington | Ship to the Border
tegra7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #53
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Anyone heard of Kinek? They dont have an annual fee.

Shipping to Blaine, Washington | Ship to the Border
the hours arent as great as hagens
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #54
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Both TSB and letter carrier raised their fees by approx 50c

Also noticed this on the TSB website
Quote:
TIRES W/RIMS $assessed by weight
So I guess average passenger car wheels/tires will be approx $7.50 each (36-50 lbs)

Either way it doesn't really make a difference for the savings that are the reason we choose to buy from the states.

I do appreciate that recycling cardboard is now free though, if you have a small car like me you might have to unpack your packages before you can fit it in.

Does anyone use point to point parcel? It's the first one IIRC when you cross the border, good if you're walking over haha
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #55
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've had similar experience with PR Canada border agents. The last 3-4 years, I have not had to pay tax or anything on stuff up to about $400. Before then though, I remember getting pulled in to pay tax on a $9.99 Ebay item, lol. It used to be so bad that anything over $50 I would ship to Blaine because the agents there almost never charge tax on the way back for under $300/person.

I've never used TLC in PR, always used TSB up til about 3 years ago when their rates increased the first time. I've been using the parcel receiving at Shell now www.prshell.com as they are open 7 days a week, and available to pickup as early as 7am. The odd time I've shipped to Blaine, I use Blaine Enterprises they have no annual fee as far as I know.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #56
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I've had similar experience with PR Canada border agents. The last 3-4 years, I have not had to pay tax or anything on stuff up to about $400. Before then though, I remember getting pulled in to pay tax on a $9.99 Ebay item, lol. It used to be so bad that anything over $50 I would ship to Blaine because the agents there almost never charge tax on the way back for under $300/person.

I've never used TLC in PR, always used TSB up til about 3 years ago when their rates increased the first time. I've been using the parcel receiving at Shell now www.prshell.com as they are open 7 days a week, and available to pickup as early as 7am. The odd time I've shipped to Blaine, I use Blaine Enterprises they have no annual fee as far as I know.
The Shell fees are cheaper too, and I'm guessing it's lower volume
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I've been shipping stuff to The Letter Carrier longer than most. I've been using them for about ten years already. I have never been asked to show ID when I pick up my packages. I've never seen them ask ID from anybody in all the times I've been there. Yeah, it became a problem when they started getting more than one customer with the same name. They have a little list of these names up on the wall by the counter now. Luckily I've never had an issue with a package not being there for me.

To me, it seems like the Canada border agents used to be a lot more strict with making people go in to pay customs. In the early 2000s, I would get called in pretty routinely, even for bringing back like $40 worth of stuff. In the last few years, they seem to waive you through a lot more often. There is no "magic number" that determines whether you get waived through or not... just depends on the border agent.
I've been using TLC for over a year now, and so far its the only one in PR that I can recommend. With the exception of the fee increases, I can't think of anything that would make me want to change. I have a friend who uses TSB, and I feel that the system that TLC uses is way better than TSB's. The older man who works there has even begun to start remembering me, so I don't get any hassles.

In regards to the whole border agent thing, I'm always paranoid that I'm going to get called in whenever I cross with goods around 500$, but with the exception of one package costing 500$ I haven't been pulled in once.

I have considered going to Blaine and using Hagens with their yearly service fee, but PR is much closer to me and easier to deal with Nexus as AFAIK they're the only border that'll allow you to verbally declare your goods as a Nexus user.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #58
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post

I have considered going to Blaine and using Hagens with their yearly service fee, but PR is much closer to me and easier to deal with Nexus as AFAIK they're the only border that'll allow you to verbally declare your goods as a Nexus user.
You can verbally declare at the Blaine Nexus crossings (Pac Hwy and Peace Arch) as well. Been doing it for almost a year now.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #59
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

for shipping to Hagen of Blaine, How do you put your customer # to your shipping address when ordering? just put that # after your last name when making online order?
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
for shipping to Hagen of Blaine, How do you put your customer # to your shipping address when ordering? just put that # after your last name when making online order?
Bobby Hill (1234)
address
address
address
bobbyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #61
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I've also used Security Mail Services, which is pretty good too. Only $10 initiation fee and $2.50 per parcel, pretty cheap.
herragge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #62
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I've never used Hagen's before and I want to try in the future. I don't do much online shopping and mailing to blaine but I have a question. Do I need to pay the annual fee? I read on their website its possible to not opt in?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #63
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
I've never used Hagen's before and I want to try in the future. I don't do much online shopping and mailing to blaine but I have a question. Do I need to pay the annual fee? I read on their website its possible to not opt in?
No, you don't. You'll just pay an extra $2.50 per package.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #64
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
i was tempted not to pay the fee this year but i've had a bunch of friends use my account too so i was like screw it, just pay it

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #65
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Used Haagen before....but did not opt for the annual fee this time.

Shipping a tiny package, so should be the $3.50 price...
Any major difference between TSB and Letter Carrier? Or would either one be basically the same?
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #66
UFO

^I use the Shell at PR. If it's a piece of mail, they only charge $1.00. Their hours are waaay more flexible than TSB or TLC. Overall pricing is better too. www.prshell.com
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #67
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
How's traffic heading into and back from point roberts at 7 in the morning? I might start shipping to the shell since my hours are 9-5 but I work all the way in port moody -.-
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #68
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Has anyone tried using Mail Boxes International?

1685 H Street
Blaine, WA 98230
Mailboxes Int'l - Blaine, WA

tia
BaBiE_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #69
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBiE_Bee View Post
Has anyone tried using Mail Boxes International?

1685 H Street
Blaine, WA 98230
Mailboxes Int'l - Blaine, WA

tia
I used to use them but have since switched to Pacific Mail and Parcel since I did not need a PO Box, only require package handling. The service at Pacific Mail and Parcel is pretty good, their fees are decent and they give you an email every time a package arrives.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #70
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i use Mailboxes International all the time. They also email you when your package arrives and its just 2.50 per package to pick up.
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #71
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
How's traffic heading into and back from point roberts at 7 in the morning? I might start shipping to the shell since my hours are 9-5 but I work all the way in port moody -.-
More or less non existant. You may get held up at the Massey tunnel for a minute if at all. The tunnel usually gets quite a bit busier around 8am until the counterflow lane is out.