REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #4976
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Only during major storms (which you shouldn't out in the first place).. and if you park on designated snow routes.

Fun fact: they also own plow AFTER snow stops (so in the case yesterday in Vancouver, they won't have plowed for quite a while).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
someone from ontario once told me back when he used to live in missaugua(sp?) they plow trucks would come with a fleet of tow trucks and they would tow away any cars in the way and move then to nearest street, and it would be on the owners to find their own cars? is this trueor is he pulling my leg?
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #4977
degenerate extraordinaire

They used to do that around langara on 49th after a certain time, when it is set to be 2 lanes each way.

They would have 2-3 tow trucks towing the cars into the neighborhood.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #4978
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I'm heading up to cypress in a bit and was wondering if people are being turned away because the parking lot is full?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #4979
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,103 Times in 973 Posts
Not sure but there is a search party looking for missing snow shoers at Cypress
Old 12-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #4980
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Not sure but there is a search party looking for missing snow shoers at Cypress
4 days now. How long do they continue looking? Im pretty sure all they have is their parked car.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #4981
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
well the search has been suspended due to bad conditions :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #4982
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
There are a lot more details in this CBC Article.

I think NSS&R can use some drones, no not helicopter ones but horizontally flying ones like Scan Eagles with FLIR.

Experienced hikers but not prepared.. sounds like an oxymoron.

However I will play.. I can think of you need following things for winter survival: Thermal blanket (probably at least 3 to build shelter), knife + some light weight hatchet to cut down tree limbs, some type of rope, flint, matches, a bottle of rubbing alcohol (as accelerant). Protein bars, high carb bars. Bandaids or bandages, metal cup(s) (to melt snow), a roll of heavy weight fishing line..

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
4 days now. How long do they continue looking? Im pretty sure all they have is their parked car.

Last edited by godwin; 12-28-2016 at 06:15 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #4983
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Snow shovels are $10 at Walmart

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #4984
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Got a second folding shovel for $6.99 at Princess Auto yesterday. Sorry, last one. It pays to hang out at Princess Auto, lol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #4985
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Dad broke mine, so I've been using a pusher shovel, which is pretty useless for slush/ice. Everywhere else was sold out, so this will do for now.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #4986
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Hit some black ice going down a steep hill yesterday, HOLY FUCK!!!

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #4987

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Just got down from cypress. Snowed like 16" today. Wicked riding, lots of moron's in the parking lot getting stuck. Only had the Juke, so couldn't do much to help them, so I just laughed while I ripped it out of there. X-Ice3's are doing great for me, even in the FWD juke I havn't had any issues.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:21 AM   #4988
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Dad broke mine, so I've been using a pusher shovel, which is pretty useless for slush/ice. Everywhere else was sold out, so this will do for now.
those of you who are lucky to have snow shovels keep them out of sight. my neighbor has an open carport and someone went through it and stole his shovels and bags of salt. the thing is they've been sitting in the same spot in his carport for years until all this snow came so we're now wondering if it's someone on our street
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #4989
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
someone from ontario once told me back when he used to live in missaugua(sp?) they plow trucks would come with a fleet of tow trucks and they would tow away any cars in the way and move then to nearest street, and it would be on the owners to find their own cars? is this trueor is he pulling my leg?
Yes it can happen, it's a courtesy tow. Yes it's on the owner to find their car but being on job sites where we do them require signs up 24 hours in advance. Usually it's a tow around the corner a few houses away or across the street. For snow plowing I've never heard of or seen us towing a car in the past 10 years. Not saying they've ever done it, just that I've never seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Fun fact: they also own plow AFTER snow stops (so in the case yesterday in Vancouver, they won't have plowed for quite a while).
Ummmmm, source? We plow while snowing and after and continue to salt as long as the temperature is low enough. They worked around the clock 24/7 even on christmas day. There's just not enough trucks to hit every block in a timely manner which sometimes can leave a road unplowed for a while, but it will be done.

The lower mainland is more or less out of salt. Hard to imagine but it's true.

There's 3 options - Buy salt from other cities outside of lower mainland and have it trucked in. Wait for the barge that's towing the shipment in which wont be here for another 2 weeks possibly. Use sand which they really prefer not to do as it will be washed away and clog storm lines causing blockages and overflow and leaving black ice everywhere.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #4990
Witness protection

on the radio just now they said bby is mixing sand with their salt in an effort to keep their salt reserves up.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #4991

Quote:
on the radio just now they said bby is mixing sand with their salt in an effort to keep their salt reserves up.
That is correct, we are. It's not ideal but we've not many choices at this point. As of yesterday if we were to continue salting as normal we'd have been out of salt by yesterday at noon. The kicker - we don't have much sand stock piled to keep up with the current weather predictions in the upcoming weeks. The roads dept is hoping to use other depts sand stockpiles which isn't much as since the normal backfilling material for construction jobs is crush rock.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #4992
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Vancouver official says it?s tough to get road salt | News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #4993
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
That is correct, we are. It's not ideal but we've not many choices at this point. As of yesterday if we were to continue salting as normal we'd have been out of salt by yesterday at noon. The kicker - we don't have much sand stock piled to keep up with the current weather predictions in the upcoming weeks. The roads dept is hoping to use other depts sand stockpiles which isn't much as since the normal backfilling material for construction jobs is crush rock.
what is the current situation with sanitation/garbage collection in burnaby? it's been 3 weeks since we last saw any collection in my area. i mentioned earlier seeing trucks out with tire chains but so far none have come to us. if it keeps snowing like it has been, are we just to assume there will never been any collection anymore until spring?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #4994

Quote:
what is the current situation with sanitation/garbage collection in burnaby? it's been 3 weeks since we last saw any collection in my area. i mentioned earlier seeing trucks out with tire chains but so far none have come to us. if it keeps snowing like it has been, are we just to assume there will never been any collection anymore until spring?
Sorry thumper but I cant help you with that question. You'd need to call city hall engineering and they'd know that situation better than I would. What I DO know is that there's been talk about hiring private back hoes to clean out lane ways, but the problem with that is where is the snow going to go?

Also, good advice for ya since your in bby - some cars are parking up to 2 feet from the curb because of the snow. Plows can't get through some streets due to it and if they see it they wont even bother to attempt to go down that road knowing they'll hit it. Bylaw says anything over 30cm from a curb is abandonment and can be ticketed and with the current situation it's about to be enforced. People are responsible for shoveling their sidewalks and making sure they properly park. I've gone past hundreds of streets where not a single house has shoveled their sidewalks and if they have they've put it all on the road beside the curb...those that don't shovel better hope someone doesn't slip in front of their house and break a wrist or fall and get a concussion as the homeowner will be fuuuuuucked big time.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #4995
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'm sick of this snow already.

I’ve had to shovel my driveway so many times this past few weeks. Don’t think I’ve done that much shoveling even back in Calgary lol.

yelnats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #4996
MG1

Quote:
Haven't missed any yet on my street. And, the back alley was pretty messed up with snow last week. The truck that did come by was an automated one that usually picks up the green stuff. It did both garbage and the whats-the-right-word, recycling.

Remember, two days delayed this week, due to Xmas and Boxing Day.

I'm not looking forward to garbage every two weeks that starts sometime in 2017. Can't imagine it in the summer heat. Keeping costs down is important, so not complaining.

As for snow, "Bring it on!!" So much exercise. This old man is loving it. Show those young punks what real work is all about, Gulolololololol.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #4997

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Haven't missed any yet on my street. And, the back alley was pretty messed up with snow last week. The truck that did come by was an automated one that usually picks up the green stuff. It did both garbage and the whats-the-right-word, recycling.

Remember, two days delayed this week, due to Xmas and Boxing Day.

I'm not looking forward to garbage every two weeks that starts sometime in 2017. Can't imagine it in the summer heat. Keeping costs down is important, so not complaining.
a friend of mine just moved to Maple Ridge. they don't even have garbage service there. ouch! (you have to hire one)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #4998
MG1

Price of moving to Buttfuck Nowhere, I guess. Probably well water and septic tank. Damn........ I'm too much of a city boy to even imagine what it's like. I'm spoiled.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #4999
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Also, good advice for ya since your in bby - some cars are parking up to 2 feet from the curb because of the snow. Plows can't get through some streets due to it and if they see it they wont even bother to attempt to go down that road knowing they'll hit it. Bylaw says anything over 30cm from a curb is abandonment and can be ticketed and with the current situation it's about to be enforced. People are responsible for shoveling their sidewalks and making sure they properly park. I've gone past hundreds of streets where not a single house has shoveled their sidewalks and if they have they've put it all on the road beside the curb...those that don't shovel better hope someone doesn't slip in front of their house and break a wrist or fall and get a concussion as the homeowner will be fuuuuuucked big time.
I hope Burnaby city staff come up to SFU soon. People are retarded in the way they are parking up there and many of the town houses do not have their sidewalks shoveled. Damn useless stratas. And all the yellow snow is just plain gross but I understand pets and animals gotta go somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #5000
Witness protection

Quote:
Sorry thumper but I cant help you with that question. You'd need to call city hall engineering and they'd know that situation better than I would. What I DO know is that there's been talk about hiring private back hoes to clean out lane ways, but the problem with that is where is the snow going to go?

we did see a private backhoe 1-2 days ago. he pushed snow to the end of the back lane, then scooped it up and carried it off somewhere i do not know. .. but no sanitation since then. hopefully they will come before the supposed next snowfall comes new years eve?