REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #5001
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Haven't missed any yet on my street. And, the back alley was pretty messed up with snow last week. The truck that did come by was an automated one that usually picks up the green stuff. It did both garbage and the whats-the-right-word, recycling.

Remember, two days delayed this week, due to Xmas and Boxing Day.

I'm not looking forward to garbage every two weeks that starts sometime in 2017. Can't imagine it in the summer heat. Keeping costs down is important, so not complaining.

As for snow, "Bring it on!!" So much exercise. This old man is loving it. Show those young punks what real work is all about, Gulolololololol.
don't get a heart attack old man... i mean it. there will be nothing left here to read but timpo's posts
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #5002
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
on the radio just now they said bby is mixing sand with their salt in an effort to keep their salt reserves up.
Just saw Street Ops in my lane throwing down what looked like mostly sand on the big chunks of ice so I guess it's true.

As for Sanitation I've had my Garbage and Green Bin picked up every week since snowfall all be it sometimes 1 day late. As for recycling which has been privatized to Smithrite they have made zero attempts since snow fall.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #5003
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Just saw Street Ops in my lane throwing down what looked like mostly sand on the big chunks of ice so I guess it's true.

As for Sanitation I've had my Garbage and Green Bin picked up every week since snowfall all be it sometimes 1 day late. As for recycling which has been privatized to Smithrite they have made zero attempts since snow fall.
are you front or back lane collection? unfortunately it's back lane for me
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #5004
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
are you front or back lane collection? unfortunately it's back lane for me
Skip engineering and give sanitation a direct call - 604-294-7972
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #5005
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
don't get a heart attack old man... i mean it. there will be nothing left here to read but timpo's posts
........but the exercise prevents heart attacks, lol.

Seriously, I have friends who are runners. Totally in shape. Then they suffer heart attacks and strokes. Doesn't matter if you're in shape, out of shape, short, tall, fat, skinny, asshole, or nice guy.............

To sum it up, "Life sucks, and then you die."

Which is why we do as much good for others as we can in the little time we are given.

Damn, it's too early in the day for this kind of shit............ is it snowing yet?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #5006
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Stewie, do you get to drive those eco cars Burnaby has? Are those Smart for Two cars they have electric? Also seen a Honda Ridgeline with Burnaby logos on them. Burnaby municipality....... so hip.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #5007
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post

that's funny because it's been the exact opposite experience for me. smithrite has always come every week (maybe 1 or 2 days late if the snowfall was bad) but still came.

CoV garbage/green bin on the other hand didn't even come. just waited for the next round of pickup. wife was mad i just said hey what do you expect private vs public collection

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #5008
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Stewie, do you get to drive those eco cars Burnaby has? Are those Smart for Two cars they have electric? Also seen a Honda Ridgeline with Burnaby logos on them. Burnaby municipality....... so hip.
I'm usually in my office so I don't have the need to go out and about on job sites anymore. If I do go out I'm usually with one of my bosses and I'll be in the white f150's. If they offered me one of the smart cars I'd opt out to use my own personal truck instead hahaha
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #5009
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
If they offered me one of the smart cars I'd opt out to use my own personal truck instead hahaha
Haha too true. Can't imagine anyone in engineering, or construction rolling up to a jobsite in a smart car. It would be 10x worse for city workers, they are already the butt of every joke on most jobsites... They'd get ridiculed non-stop.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #5010
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Sad that someone would be ridiculed for driving a smart car to a job site.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #5011

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
So the next snowfall is expected Saturday?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #5012
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
As long as it didn't have some stupid graphics on it, I wouldn't give a shit about driving a company car.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #5013
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

I'm not looking forward to garbage every two weeks that starts sometime in 2017. Can't imagine it in the summer heat. Keeping costs down is important, so not complaining.

I live in van and it's been 2 weeks for garbage for the past couple of years.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #5014
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Don't bother heading to Whistler today - traffic is stopped around Brandywine and it is a gong show. Cars are getting turned around, many in the ditch, complete white-out conditions.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #5015
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
for single family houses, every couple of weeks isn't too bad imo

condos/multiplexes/townhomes usually has a private provider so it doesn't affect em

it's the multi-family households and the households that don't separate their garbage into recyclables/compostables that are fucked
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #5016
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Don't bother heading to Whistler today - traffic is stopped around Brandywine and it is a gong show. Cars are getting turned around, many in the ditch, complete white-out conditions.
good to know, was going to maybe head up tomorrow. it'll be sunny but who knows what the roads will be like
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #5017
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
good to know, was going to maybe head up tomorrow. it'll be sunny but who knows what the roads will be like
If you are on Facebook, I recommend joining the group Sea to Sky Road Conditions. Many users update frequently. Today there are a tonne of pics of carnage on the road. RCMP are now doing tire checks at Alice Lake just north of Squamish. If you don't have winter tires or chains they will turn you around - they have a right and may even fine you, as Hwy 99 north of Horseshoe bay it is mandatory to have proper winter tires.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/838863822792614/
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #5018
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Sad that someone would be ridiculed for driving a smart car to a job site.
Well in a world dominated by Diesel driving knuckle draggers, I don't really see why it would be surprising.

I drove my FX to a jobsite on one project, the jokes never stopped coming. (albeit I get jokes at the local mall parking lot as well, so maybe not mutually exclusive to the jobsite...)

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #5019
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Well in a world dominated by Diesel driving knuckle draggers, I don't really see why it would be surprising.

I drove my FX to a jobsite on one project, the jokes never stopped coming. (albeit I get jokes at the local mall parking lot as well, so maybe not mutually exclusive to the jobsite...)
What if its a diesel smart

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #5020

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

Didn't say I would be surprised if there were jokes, I sad it would be sad.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #5021
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnats8 View Post
I'm sick of this snow already.

I’ve had to shovel my driveway so many times this past few weeks. Don’t think I’ve done that much shoveling even back in Calgary lol.

I know parts of East van that kind of look like that. But there's also areas in South van that has grass showing through the snow...
Amazing difference when considering it's only like a 20min distance.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #5022
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I know parts of East van that kind of look like that. But there's also areas in South van that has grass showing through the snow...
Amazing difference when considering it's only like a 20min distance.
South of 49th you start getting the elevation change towards the Fraser River. It is amazing what a 100 feet of elevation change can do.

My neighborhood around 33rd looks exactly like that picture. Even with the rain today. Wait until it freezes over later in the week
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #5023
Witness protection

holy crap i was just in east van and the side streets look like it snowed only yesterday... having said that it must have been because of what stewie said about people not being able to park against the curbs so what is already narrow streets only got worse.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #5024
Witness protection

Quote:
thanks stewie. they said my area is on the attempt list for today. have to see if it's true when i get home from work tonight.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #5025
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
To clarify and put in context, in my original post I meant they tow and plow only after the snow has stopped.

Here is the source.

I actually like how Toronto sets standards and let the public know for when they plow in cms. Much better than ours "Oh it is coming" Granted Toronto is much larger.

Quote:
Ummmmm, source? We plow while snowing and after and continue to salt as long as the temperature is low enough. They worked around the clock 24/7 even on christmas day. There's just not enough trucks to hit every block in a timely manner which sometimes can leave a road unplowed for a while, but it will be done.

The lower mainland is more or less out of salt. Hard to imagine but it's true.

There's 3 options - Buy salt from other cities outside of lower mainland and have it trucked in. Wait for the barge that's towing the shipment in which wont be here for another 2 weeks possibly. Use sand which they really prefer not to do as it will be washed away and clog storm lines causing blockages and overflow and leaving black ice everywhere.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote