REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #5251
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
What's the place in North Van called?
Used to be called easywash, and they had some fancy sales pitch about recycled water and whatever.

Now it's literally just called "autowash"

This one:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nor...4d-123.0317358
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #5252
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
sigh. stuck at work wishing i could go out and play ice hockey

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #5253
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
What's the place in North Van called?

There's also a touchless (with under carriage spray) in Coquitlam on Lougheed near North Road called Wash World. Probably an ice rink by now though.

I went on the cold snap week just before the second dump of snow in December and my traction control light came on a few times as I was slowly exiting the wash bay as the car was being dried.
i tried that one a few weeks back... the place is a bit run down and the wash is not the best.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 01-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #5254
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i tried that one a few weeks back... the place is a bit run down and the wash is not the best.
To be expected for most auto wash locations. But it's the only one near my place with touchless and under spray.

What's a good touchless place you recommend?
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #5255
Witness protection

i mentioned the one i went to a few posts above... if you have good winter tires you might chance getting in

Home | Car Wash In Burnaby, BC | Autoxpress
Old 01-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #5256
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Free Salt @ Fire halls if you live in Vancouver!! Vancouver crews to focus more attention on icy residential streets | CTV Vancouver News

2801 Quebec St.
1475 W. 10th Ave.
1090 Haro St.
2460 Balaclava St.
4013 Prince Albert St.
2804 Venables St.
3003 E. 22nd Ave.
7070 Knight St.
4396 W. 12th Ave.
1005 W. 59th Ave.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #5257
My homepage has been set to RS

Fire halls will begin giving out free salt on Wednesday, and although free, you should make sure you give a donation.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #5258
Witness protection

how much salt do they give out? is it per person or is based on what type of property? just wondering because for some of us it could be just a short sidewalk, but for others it could be a corner lot and a back lane as well...
Old 01-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #5259
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Wonder what time they'll start giving out free salt?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #5260

Thanked 3,082 Times in 961 Posts
Windy as heck out here in Langley.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #5261
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
how much salt do they give out? is it per person or is based on what type of property? just wondering because for some of us it could be just a short sidewalk, but for others it could be a corner lot and a back lane as well...
As much as you need up to 2 buckets max available from 9am - 8pm. Bring own bucket and shovel is suggested.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #5262
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Is 604-294-7460 the correct number for reporting sidewalks in Burnaby?

Impossible to get through that line. But based on the numbers of households not giving a damn about their sidewalks, I can understand why.

Edited: Got through.
City of Burnaby doesn't take any reports of sidewalks infront of households. Only for sidewalks infront strata and business buildings. No wonder so many assholes are getting away with it.

v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #5263
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Please let me know. Too many streets on my hilly block not plowed, or salted and the stuff has turned to ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #5264
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Quote:
Yes.
https://www.burnaby.ca/About-Burnaby..._s2_p5959.html
Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #5265
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Surprised to see the metrotown station walk ways were covered in ice. One would think the busiest station in Burnaby would get some love.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #5266
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnesss View Post
wendy's on grandview and boundary.

yesterday, i tried turning in from grandview, saw an suv with hazards slowly coming down the ramp trying to exit. waited for a while for them to come out, got impatient, proceeded towards the boundary entrance instead. drove in, tried to loop around the restaurant to get to the drive through. well, i found out the reason for why the suv was exiting onto grandview so slowly. anyhow, sliding down the ramp side ways was not fun, noped the fuck out of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I was driving down Grandview yesterday and saw some cop cars blocking off one of the side streets near the Canadian Tire. Took a peek and there were a couple of cars that were sideways (presumably from sliding down the street). I'm guessing anything north facing isn't getting a whole lot of sun to melt.

I was driving down a back lane yesterday with a slight decline and even with my Xi3's I still slid a good 10 feet on some ice when braking. Be careful out there and leave a lot of extra room - even if you've got some winter tires!

On a seperate note, anyone know anywhere that's still got snow shovels? I've managed to break both of my shovels over the last week shoveling snow. Checked a bunch of places around Vancouver and everyone is out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Watching the game last night I saw Wendy's 4 dolla double stack deal. Had to try it, so here I am at the Grandview and Boundary location, parked next to the tree there to shade me from that blinding sun. Anyway, the parking lot is absolutely frozen and dangerous. As I open up the bag to get the burger out I see from my side mirror this Civic skidding out of control toward me. Driver was going way too fast for the conditions. After he comes to a complete stop, he tries to go up the hill. He was going nowhere. Total douche. I roll down driver,s window and give him the thumbs up. Looked like he didn't have snows. Save money and park there. No need to pay good money to see a circus. This is free and way more entertaining.
They re-opened it? When I drove by around 1:30pm both entrance/exits were blocked off and it said the restaurant was closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #5267
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
I was told by dude at the window today that it was so crazy yesterday that they had no choice but to close it down.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #5268
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Crazy because of the ice/snow? Or crazy busy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #5269

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I was told by dude at the window today that it was so crazy yesterday that they had no choice but to close it down.
did no one there think to shovel/salt the area

hell I'm seeing tons of parking lot businesses today trying to shovel away the ice

orrrr maybe its on purpose so no customers come and they get a relaxing/slow day with no work to do
Old 01-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #5270
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:

Impossible to get through that line. But based on the numbers of households not giving a damn about their sidewalks, I can understand why.

Edited: Got through.
City of Burnaby doesn't take any reports of sidewalks infront of households. Only for sidewalks infront strata and business buildings. No wonder so many assholes are getting away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Please let me know. Too many streets on my hilly block not plowed, or salted and the stuff has turned to ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
That is really weird that they're not taking reports.

I called last week when they were closed and used the emergency number cause I was pissed at the neighbour on the corner lot cause I almost wiped out walking my dog. The guy on the other end of the emergency line said that they do take calls but since it's out of office hours, he'll take down all the info and the offending property's address and pass it along to the inspector the next morning. I drove past that house the following afternoon and the sidewalk was plowed
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #5271
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
Just heard on news that they are expecting another one Fri and Sat ... this one is going to dump more snow than any of the ones before ...
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #5272
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

#PrayForVancouver #WinterIsComing #Snowmagedden
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #5273

Thanked 1,386 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Just heard on news that they are expecting another one Fri and Sat ... this one is going to dump more snow than any of the ones before ...
If it does, pray that we've gotten rid of all our existing ice on roads and sidewalks.

Fresh snow on top of hardened layer of ice sheets is just a recipe for ultimate disaster.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #5274
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
That is really weird that they're not taking reports.

I called last week when they were closed and used the emergency number cause I was pissed at the neighbour on the corner lot cause I almost wiped out walking my dog. The guy on the other end of the emergency line said that they do take calls but since it's out of office hours, he'll take down all the info and the offending property's address and pass it along to the inspector the next morning. I drove past that house the following afternoon and the sidewalk was plowed
They must been overloaded with phone calls and decided to not take down address of household sidewalks.

I understand it all comes down to resources (both the person on the phone and the inspector that goes out to the field). But all it takes is a couple warning (and fines). Once people know the city is serious about it, and/or heard stories of neighbours, friends, friends of friends, friends of friend's friends etc....then there won't be so many assholes not shoveling/salting their sidewalks.

They can/should even have a webpage on the City's website where you can submit offending addresses. Or pin point a location. Then the field inspector could efficiency hit up a list of households all in the same area in one trip.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #5275
Witness protection

what is it with surrey and not plowing the turn lanes? it's all uncleared snow and ice.

you pull up to the turn signal light and if you're lucky you don't slide your way over the stop line and take out pedestrians like bowling pins, and when the turn signal goes green, no one can move because you're sitting on ice.

so other drivers have to go around you in the straight thru lane blocking other traffic because the turn signal has now turned red.

fail fail fail.