REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #601
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone confirm what happens at YVR if you use NEXUS after arriving from USA/overseas with purchases over your exemption limit? Assuming you've answered truthfully, do the NEXUS kiosks always require you to pay taxes? Personally I have not yet used my NEXUS at YVR, instead I still use the regular lanes (automated passport kiosk) because even though I declare all purchases, I've never had to pay anything.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #602
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
No they don't. Flew in from SF last month. Did the NEXUS thing, and basically walked out no questions asked.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #603

Is renewing NEXUS the same procedure as applying? I'm just thinking in advance because my NEXUS expires next year in October.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #604
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Is renewing NEXUS the same procedure as applying? I'm just thinking in advance because my NEXUS expires next year in October.
From my experience, it is more or less the same procedure. Much easier if nothing has changed (i.e. address etc.) and no requirement for references. Mind you, I renewed two or three years ago, so if anything has changed since, someone please correct me.

Overall, the entire procedure was painless. I booked a same-week appointment at their Downtown location. The interview was your usual questions. I think I was in and out within 15 minutes from start to finish and I paid for 1 hour of parking too! I need to renew my NEXUS and passport soon as well.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #605
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
you guys use the iris scan at yvr? i've given up on it. eyes too small lol

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #606
RS Veteran

The ones at YVR have been very frustrating as of late. A lot of people are having troubles with it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
you guys use the iris scan at yvr? i've given up on it. eyes too small lol
Yes. I had the worst time registering my irises at my application, though when I came back to YVR, I pried my eyes open and it worked without a hitch. Conversely, my fiancee who had little issue registering couldn't get it to work. Assuming you're adjusting the reader appropriately so that your eyes are level with the reader, I guess the machines are too finicky.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #608
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
When I did the iris scan during the Nexus interview, it took several tries. Seemed to be a problem with the machines as there was a backlog of people waiting to do the scan.

However, I haven't had any issues with doing the scan when coming back into Canada at YVR.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #609
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
When I did the iris scan during the Nexus interview, it took several tries. Seemed to be a problem with the machines as there was a backlog of people waiting to do the scan.

However, I haven't had any issues with doing the scan when coming back into Canada at YVR.
when i went to get my iris scan done, i wore contact lense, and the CBSA officer that was doing it said dont put your lense back in until the computer fully got everything. But yea, the machines did take forever. My dad got his done at airport and theirs was pretty quick
Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #610
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone confirm what happens at YVR if you use NEXUS after arriving from USA/overseas with purchases over your exemption limit? Assuming you've answered truthfully, do the NEXUS kiosks always require you to pay taxes? Personally I have not yet used my NEXUS at YVR, instead I still use the regular lanes (automated passport kiosk) because even though I declare all purchases, I've never had to pay anything.
i wonder if it would be the same as using the regular automated kiosks? when doing so if you go over your limit it prints a slip and directs you to see an officer. then its up to the officers discretion, in my case they just let me go tax free.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #611
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i wish they would just use the fingerprint scanner like the US.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #612
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
From my experience, it is more or less the same procedure. Much easier if nothing has changed (i.e. address etc.) and no requirement for references. Mind you, I renewed two or three years ago, so if anything has changed since, someone please correct me.

Overall, the entire procedure was painless. I booked a same-week appointment at their Downtown location. The interview was your usual questions. I think I was in and out within 15 minutes from start to finish and I paid for 1 hour of parking too! I need to renew my NEXUS and passport soon as well.
I just renewed a few months ago. Completed all the info on the GOES website and waited, a few weeks later I was approved. Didn't have to go for an interview at all.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
I just renewed a few months ago. Completed all the info on the GOES website and waited, a few weeks later I was approved. Didn't have to go for an interview at all.
Did any of your vital info (address, work, passport number if you used it as your primary id) change? I recall reading a few pages back that your case basically happens only if there are no changes to the account on GOES.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #614
RS Veteran

I think Speed2K is correct! I had heard this through a third-party but was unable to confirm.

I need to look into this as my passport is due for renewal next year.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #615
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
i wonder if it would be the same as using the regular automated kiosks? when doing so if you go over your limit it prints a slip and directs you to see an officer. then its up to the officers discretion, in my case they just let me go tax free.
yes that's exactly how the auto kiosks work. but good point, i'm not sure if it's the kiosk who decides if you need to pay, or the officer makes the final call. you're probably right, it's the officer. In that case, NEXUS kiosks shouldn't be any different. I just wasn't sure because with NEXUS all the rules are enforced strictly.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #616
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Did any of your vital info (address, work, passport number if you used it as your primary id) change? I recall reading a few pages back that your case basically happens only if there are no changes to the account on GOES.
The only thing that I changed was my passport number!

I know someone that changed jobs and she has to go for an interview.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #617
Banned By Establishment

Remember to book your renewal around 6 months before it expires
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #618
I am Hook'd on RS

just finished my interview at the Main St location, literally took under 5mins from the time i went in to the time i went out
CrispyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #619
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

It's not really an "interview"... more so just to see if you are a "real" person and get your picture and fingerprints. By the time you are conditionally approved they already know everything about you. My "interview" was full of smiles and laughs and a couple jokingly curveball questions. When my wife and kid went for their "interviews" the officers were cracking jokes with one another and spent more time playing with my kid than asking questions... On the other hand I know someone who had their application declined and was asked to re-submit due to having incorrect dates for employment. Your application is golden when you get conditionally approved, the only was to fail the "interview" is if you are a total idiot or degenerate that shows up and says they are going to break all of the rules.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #620
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just updated all my info at YVR, including new company name, new home address and new passport number! No appointment and the guy in the front took care of it in less then 5 minutes !
Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #621

Quote:

Interesting. I would've thought that a new passport number would mean renewal "interview". Good to know!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #622
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:

Your friend should've gone in person to update her job information prior to Nexus renewal.

Any sort of info change (employment, address, etc) should be updated with them ASAP.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #623
I am Hook'd on RS

just got my card in 5 business days
CrispyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #624
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
wait so if you get new employment do you have to update that? confused
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #625