REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #626
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
wait so if you get new employment do you have to update that? confused
Essentially, if any information on your GOES account changes, you need to update it asap on both sides (GOES for US and in person at a NEXUS office for the Canadian side). You'll save a ton of potential annoyances doing so.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #627
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Essentially, if any information on your GOES account changes, you need to update it asap on both sides (GOES for US and in person at a NEXUS office for the Canadian side). You'll save a ton of potential annoyances doing so.
so do i have to make another appointment to get this done? or can i just show up at an office and tell them?
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #628
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Isn't changing this info on the GOES site good enough? You can change your address and passport number there.... I've done both without problems...
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
so do i have to make another appointment to get this done? or can i just show up at an office and tell them?
Nope you just go to the front desk to make any changes to your account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
Isn't changing this info on the GOES site good enough? You can change your address and passport number there.... I've done both without problems...
From what I was told at my interview, GOES only handles the US side of the information. The Canadian side doesn't have any such online site, ergo the need to go in personally to change your info.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #630
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Anyone know anything about going down and picking up stuff that is a gift for people?

I know youre not suppose to use your Nexus to go down and pick up stuff for people, but I wanna buy my gf a gift and ship it down there. But when i come back, CBSA will ask me what I brought back and im like a womens jacket, would they be like wtf?

Anyone have any experience? Is it all that matters is that my name is on the receiving label on the package?
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #631

If it's your name on the invoice, and your name on the shipping materials, I don't see what the issue is. CBSA doesn't care what the clothes you buy is for, as long as you within your spending limit and you're not reselling it. If the gift is expensive, you'll likely just have to worry about being taxed.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #632
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^ Ditto regarding the invoice and shipping name.... Shouldn't matter what it is, even if the item was purchased to be gifted. At the point and time that you pickup the item, you are a Canadian importing personal goods into the country. It's your property, there should be no hassle.... Different case if a visitor to the country was bringing a gift with them into Canada.

Also if do some reason a different persons name is in the invoice then you can use the regular lanes with your Nexus card. I've done so a few times when picking up goods for others.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #633
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I always bring an invoice with me (paper or email) and have it ready to present when I pull up to the window. They usually just ask you if you're bringing anything back, what it is, and the value of it. Your odds of getting taxed are dependent on the $ amount and mood of the officer.

Just don't act shady and you'll be fine.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #634

Just a warning for you guys

Make sure you tell the CBSA officer that your bring back a gift for someone or you're picking up your OWN parcels.

NEVER EVER say you're picking up a parcel on someone's behalf or the parcel belongs to someone else, when you're using the NEXUS lane.

A friend got written up for picking up my parcel for me at Point Roberts, one more strike, his nexus card gets revoked.

So be very careful with your wording
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #635
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post

Make sure you tell the CBSA officer that your bring back a gift for someone or you're picking up your OWN parcels.

NEVER EVER say you're picking up a parcel on someone's behalf or the parcel belongs to someone else, when you're using the NEXUS lane.

A friend got written up for picking up my parcel for me at Point Roberts, one more strike, his nexus card gets revoked.

I was told at the interview to never bring goods that does not belong to you across the border. Your friend must have forgot about that rule.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
I was told at the interview to never bring goods that does not belong to you across the border. Your friend must have forgot about that rule.
Which isn't to be confused with "buying a gift for someone else with invoice and shipment info being yours".

Just getting back to the question by wingies. I'm not saying that you (shenmecar) is saying that gifts == goods that don't belong to you.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #637
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
what does 'written up' mean? he was handed a ticket or written warning indicating he broke a rule and nexus will be revoked next time?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
what does 'written up' mean? he was handed a ticket or written warning indicating he broke a rule and nexus will be revoked next time?
Written up as in actually being written up by the head office. He was pulled over, went inside and got questioned. They put a note on his file and even got sent a letter from the nexus office telling him to familiarize with the rules or his card is getting revoked if he ever does it again.
-"--"-
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Which isn't to be confused with "buying a gift for someone else with invoice and shipment info being yours".

Just getting back to the question by wingies. I'm not saying that you (shenmecar) is saying that gifts == goods that don't belong to you.

Just make sure you're the one paying for the goods, not someone else and they ships to your address in PR and you pick it up as a "gift".
-"--"-
Old 09-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #640
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
so once you get your nexus card, and your passport expires afterwards, do you need to update immediately? my friend asked that before and the cbsa agent said not necessary after you get your nexus card but if you're applying for nexus then you need to have it up-to-date.

apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #641

It doesn't have to be done immediately, but asap is in your best interest to avoid any potential issues. It's assumed that you update your information as it changes, so you can't really plead ignorance with them if they grill you.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #642
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:

Yes - this. I too made the mistake of being a nice guy and picking up something for a friend since I was heading down already for my own packages. Got sent inside, got my items taxed and got a written warning on my file. (although they phrased it as "it's up to the discretion of the US folks to determine what they will do with my NEXUS")
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #643
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
woohoo!

Quote:
New NEXUS Kiosks!

Dear NEXUS Member,

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is beginning to replace kiosks with new "next generation" kiosks to provide faster, more reliable and more efficient service in the air mode.

The installation of the new kiosks begins with Macdonald-Cartier International Airport in Ottawa and will be phasing in to the rest of the Canadian airports that offer NEXUS by late October/early November.

The way you interact with the new kiosk has changed. Namely, you will now be required to insert your NEXUS membership card into the kiosk card reader.

For your reference, please refer to the following instructions when using the new kiosk:

Please have your NEXUS card ready;
Select language of choice before inserting your NEXUS card into the document reader;
When prompted, insert your NEXUS card into the document reader;
Ensure the card is face up (picture side) and fully inserted into the reader;
Leave the card in the reader until instructed to remove it;
You will receive audio instructions advising you to look into the mirror;
You will use the arrows located on the mirrors to adjust to ensure that you see both eyes;
Look into the mirror, moving slightly forward or backward until you see the circle centered between your eyes change from orange to green; and
Follow the instructions on the screen and answer the questions on the monitor.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #644

They still rely on iris scans. It's too bad they don't have the ones in the US which just read your fingerprints.

That said, new machines are always welcome as long as they work better than the old.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #645
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Just make sure you're the one paying for the goods, not someone else and they ships to your address in PR and you pick it up as a "gift".
I havent had any issues, but I always use my mom's credit card because she has US cc, so I dont suffer on exchange rates and it has better perks. The billing label is her name but the shipping label is mine.
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #646
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL typeS View Post
I havent had any issues, but I always use my mom's credit card because she has US cc, so I dont suffer on exchange rates and it has better perks. The billing label is her name but the shipping label is mine.
One of the questions they asked me at the booth when I got written up was whether the person I was picking up for lived at the same address as I did. (I'm guessing it's OK if you're picking up for your spouse, kids or parents as long as you live in the same house) I would guess (but I'd ask to make sure) that using your parent's US credit card would be OK because of this assuming you both live at the same address.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #647

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Sorry for the noob question, but first time attending the interview.

Blaine Enrollment Center.

So where exactly do I park? It shows the address of 9901 Pacific Highway Vehicle.
So do I cross the border as usual first, and make a immediate right turn?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #648
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
yup, there will be signs. you can ask the border officer as well.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #649

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts

Last edited by v_tec; 10-06-2014 at 06:35 PM.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #650
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I applied for my wife and myself, we mailed in our applications. They've taken the money off my credit card but I haven't heard anything back. Do they typically send you something in the mail telling you to set up an interview?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote