REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #76
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobz View Post
Each course is 3 creds so you only have 24 to go
woops, just worked for 10 hours!

I'm on a waitlist for like 6 more courses.

Apparently a gf of mine told me I should go suck up to counsillers and program proffessors. Apparently they can make things happen.
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #77
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Sometimes they'll help you out a bit with prerequisites and stuff, but nothing crazy.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #78
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Dude, eat lol.

Considering the job market, nurses actually have more options than almost any other professional career. Our population is aging and the demand for health care workers is increasing, just give the economy time to rebound and government jobs will with it..
The problem with the aging population assumption is nearly all the studies assumed people will retire by age 65.. but since the economic meltdown, and removal of mandatory retirement age.. less people are retiring, they literally have to wait the current nurses to die off.

http://www.news1130.com/article/print/156343

Too many nurses, not enough jobs
Despite an investment in training

* Shane Bigham
* 2010/12/12

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The provincial government has invested millions of dollars to train new nurses over the last decade, and create more training spaces at schools. However, there is now a complaint that registered nurses coming through the system are having trouble finding work.

It's all part of a four-year degree program.

Deborah MacPherson with the BC Nurses Union says more needs to be done to put these people to work in this province. "We're still facing an extreme shortage of registered nurses and certainly relative to the number of positions produced in Canada, we're still not there."

Recent reports from the Canadian Institute for Health Information show there has been a net gain in the number of doctors and nurses working in this country over the last few years. But most of the nurses are licensed practical nurse, who have way less training.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #79
Banned (ABWS)

Hook up the pt job that pays 20/hr!! Hahahaha Seriously though, it'll all work out man, no worries, no stress.
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #80
Need to Seek Professional Help

yea.. what job is it thats 20+ an hour part time? construction?
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseX View Post
yea.. what job is it thats 20+ an hour part time? construction?
Warehouse. I hate it though.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #82
I don't get it

bumping thread. i've got a beater question too.

i'm only looking to spend $1000. i know civics, tercels have been suggested...

what are some things to look for in a beater.. to sort of have an idea that it will actually last for a period of time (possibly 8 months... weekend driving only but road trips may be involved).
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #83

^ Nonono at $1000, you're shopping for condition. Not make and model. At $1000 a civic or tercel IS good, but if you find a Kia for example in better condition, take it. Keep an open mind and look at as many as you can.

The main priorities: 1. How does it drive right now (is it in okay condition, turn it wheel to wheel, go through ever gear, test the heater, wipers, other crucial creature comforts...is it reliable? does it have trouble starting, does it make strange sounds, signs of past/imminent failure, leaks, etc.) - 2. does it need any repairs right now/past due maintenance (timing belt lifespan still okay? clutch? cv boots and axles? check and smell oil and transmission fluids, they don't lie. Are the tires good? if not, at $1000 this pretty much rules the car out). 3. Will it need any repairs in the next 6-8 months? Factor all those together and focus on whichever car is in the best shape for the money.

A mechanical inspection is not worth it at $1000, a wheel alignment isn't even worth it, so take a friend with you who KNOWS cars (in and out, dissassembly, reassembly, not your friend who can tell you everything about turbochargers and spew car specs, but drives moms minivan lol) and make sure he knows everything to check for, cover all the basics, don't assume anything about the car, because at $1000 you are kind of playing roulette, if you inadvertently buy a car that needs repairs you didn't know about at the time of purchase, you're pretty much hooped.

My very first cars were pretty much all beaters when I was younger

Hope this helps

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 12-22-2010 at 05:48 PM.
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #84
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Least now u know how she gets her way around things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post

Apparently a gf of mine told me I should go suck up to counsillers and program proffessors. Apparently they can make things happen.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #85
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Actually program deans can make things really happen eg skip pre reqs. As I have said before, best way to get to know the profs is to work for them, ie knocking on doors, seeing if anyone is hiring. Also another way is to look up the profs name in PubMed, basically the higher the profs name is cited, the higher the amount of grants they will get and more money they can afford to have to hire students (since Gov pays for 1/2 of the wages anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #86
Banned By Establishment

So I'm in the process of fixing up the minor damage to my TL and looking for a car.

Should I go private or dealership?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #87
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Private
Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #88
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Private, but give the car a good once over to ensure there are no hidden mechanical issues.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #89
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
If you want something a little bit more practical (hatchback), but still dead reliable and good on gas, you can't go wrong with a 90-93 Integra. There are tons on Craigslist under 3000 and they're more fun to drive than a Civic.

I've owned 2 Integras over the span of 13 years and other than timing belts, you don't need much other than oil changes every 4-6 months and a coolant change every 2 years.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #90
Banned (ABWS)

selling my beater 318i for 2.5k 5spd - runs like a beast , um has a dent in the hood kinda thing but its only cosmetic also the back up light switch needs to be replaced (20 bucksish probably)
DenKare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #91
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Congrats on doing career change. You're exactly a year behind me. This time last year I packed up my TL, got a POS Precidia and now go to Douglas for Nursing.

Funny, I used to work in the warehouse biz too and realized i'm never going to go anywhere in this industry. I'm also in the pre-req stage like you. Some advice, get some volunteer hours in. You're going to need them.

As for what kind of beater to buy. They're are so many options, you'll know the right car when you see it. Its a beater after all. Plus driving becomes so much more enjoyable. I don't care when I bottom out on big dips and rock chips, speed bumps and cyclists don't scare me!
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #92
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenKare View Post
selling my beater 318i for 2.5k 5spd - runs like a beast , um has a dent in the hood kinda thing but its only cosmetic also the back up light switch needs to be replaced (20 bucksish probably)
mehran?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #93
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
Congrats on doing career change. You're exactly a year behind me. This time last year I packed up my TL, got a POS Precidia and now go to Douglas for Nursing.

Funny, I used to work in the warehouse biz too and realized i'm never going to go anywhere in this industry. I'm also in the pre-req stage like you. Some advice, get some volunteer hours in. You're going to need them.

As for what kind of beater to buy. They're are so many options, you'll know the right car when you see it. Its a beater after all. Plus driving becomes so much more enjoyable. I don't care when I bottom out on big dips and rock chips, speed bumps and cyclists don't scare me!
remind me to send a pm.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #94
Banned (ABWS)

Get an old Corolla.
Lolerama is offline   Reply With Quote