REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #851
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Did you also do 99 pushups on your express test? Did the Warrior today, waiting on confirmation that I broke the school record for the cart relay / ladder climb. I did the cart pull last unfortunately. Been sick the entire time I've been here with bronchitis and got gastro just in time for the 13k/trench dig and the obstacle course. I refused to be sent back to St-Jean and passed them all vomiting constantly as I walked, ran, and dug. Got a couple outstanding commendations and noteworthy actions from my staff. I can't wait to leave this shithole, the Garrison is just rancid.
Jesus, 99 is a pretty crazy number. I don't do military style pushups too often, I got a really really shitty amount for pushups. It was 42 degrees out at 9am when we did our BFT, needless to say we unfortunately didn't get to do the trench did.

When are you expecting to go for PFT? I got confirmation I should be going in June if I graduate on time.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #852
My homepage has been set to RS

http://www.dailytech.com/Boeing+Anno...ticle29024.htmBoeing Announces Successful Test of Electronics Destroying Champ Missile

video link

http://bcove.me/vcnu5gym
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #853
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
No word on PFT yet but I'll know shortly, looking like Feb/Mar. See you in two weeks Belka
Posted via RS Mobile
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #854

Quote:
No word on PFT yet but I'll know shortly, looking like Feb/Mar. See you in two weeks Belka
Posted via RS Mobile
I may opt to skip PFT, my friend got the call and was suggested to skip it so i'll most likely be gettig the same phone call at some point.

There's pros and cons to skipping and not skipping, I would be cutting probably close to a year out of my training if I skipped it.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #855
I Wanna Go Fast!

Dude if you can get the PLAR and go straight to BFT, DO IT! You'd be retarded not to.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #856
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Probably not until after the new year. We're in Salina, KS right now doing some CAS training for the Army. Once I'm back, I'll be on xmas leave and heading back to the loops for a few weeks. Sir.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #857
Banned By Establishment

Got a chance to go for another back-seat ride yesterday. Wasn't as good as the BFM mission last January in Florida. This time it was a CAS mission, so basically circling over a small area at 13k. The FAC student sucked at giving accurate targets so we only had enough fuel left for a LGB drop, no gun strafing. Had the go-pro going but the only good parts were the take off and landing, lol, just lots of circling. I got the controls this time, it was very easy to fly, just point it where you want and it stays there. The stick is very sensitive to inputs...giggity. You'll love flying it JD.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #858

Where was this? And i'm assuming F18 if it was this side of the border.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #859
Banned By Establishment

This is in a CF18, we are in Salina, Kansas right now doing CAS for the Army FAC students. Getting back-seat rides back in Cold Lake is nearly impossible, but on deployments we usually take one dual so some techs all get a chance to go up.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #860
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Saw this pic today,

1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #861
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
Saw this pic today,

SR71
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #862
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

We were providing fuel to some CF-18's heading back to Cold Lake. A total of 95,000lbs of fuel for 7 receivers!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #863
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitaro View Post
Also to the RCAF guys...Is there any RS guys here based in CFB Trenton?
I was in Trenton doing my OPME's last year around this time, it's not that bad. I wouldn't mind getting posted there I was able to drive back to Toronto every weekend, beats the North Bay -> Toronto trip that I have to do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
This is in a CF18, we are in Salina, Kansas right now doing CAS for the Army FAC students. Getting back-seat rides back in Cold Lake is nearly impossible, but on deployments we usually take one dual so some techs all get a chance to go up.
If you ever do fly up on the Hornet and I'm the controller that day, I'll give you a shout out lol.
dahonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #864
I Wanna Go Fast!

Giddy up.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #865

Enjoy Farnham in the snow, my buddy just graded his BMQ.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #866
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Enjoy Farnham in the snow, my buddy just graded his BMQ.
I've been out for a couple weeks, aced Vimy. Piece of cake. I'm posted to 4 Wing but was forced to take all my annual leave over the holidays. I had to burn it up since I'm on course again first week of Jan. 31 days off
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #867
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts

The X-47 Ships Out | Military Aviation | Air & Space Magazine
The Navy’s unmanned combat aircraft makes a historic takeoff, and prepares for carrier trials at sea.
X-47B on deck of USS Harry S Truman

Reminds me of that movie Stealth with the UCAV EDI
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #868

Quote:
I've been out for a couple weeks, aced Vimy. Piece of cake. I'm posted to 4 Wing but was forced to take all my annual leave over the holidays. I had to burn it up since I'm on course again first week of Jan. 31 days off
Nice, i'm assuming you're doing PFT? My friend is skipping his PFT and going straight to the Harvard Jan 14th.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #869
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Fighter jet plan 'reset' as F-35 costs soar
F-35 isn't dead yet, but on life-support with costs set at $45.8B over 42 years

The federal government says it won't make a final decision on which fighter jet to buy until it completes every step of the complex process it laid out last spring following a blistering report from the auditor general about the escalating costs attached to the F-35.

Those costs have now been set at $45.8 billion over the jets' full 42-year life cycle, in an independent audit released Wednesday.
rest of the article here:
Spoiler!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...t-release.html

i had thought we were already committed to the f-35? so now we're back to square one in deciding which jet our air force is going to fly? how much money have we already sunken into the f-35 development? *confused*
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #870
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I watched the press conference this afternoon, MacKay seemed uncomfortable in the hot seat.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #871
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitaro View Post
We were providing fuel to some CF-18's heading back to Cold Lake. A total of 95,000lbs of fuel for 7 receivers!
Looks like the 410 guys coming back from Miramar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
i had thought we were already committed to the f-35? so now we're back to square one in deciding which jet our air force is going to fly?
We are still getting the F35, this is nothing more than political mongering. The only thing this whole 'reset' will do is prove that the F35 is the best choice. Once they price out the costs of the Super Hornet and Eurofighter the F35 will become a bargain.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #872
I am grateful grapefruit

It's official

Ottawa officially scraps F-35 purchase as audit pegs costs at $45-billion - The Globe and Mail
Quote:
Stephen Harper’s Conservatives are officially recanting their 2 1/2-year-old decision to buy the cutting-edge F-35 fighter plane – but the federal government is still resisting calls to hold an open competition to pick Canada’s next jet purchase.

The Harper government on Wednesday officially announced it was backing off a sole-source plan to buy 65 F-35 Lightning jets as a replacement for Canada’s aging CF-18 Hornets. It was a rare U-turn for an administration that only infrequently acknowledges it was wrong – but one the Tories felt was necessary to repair their fiscal stewardship credentials.

“No decision has been taken on a replacement for the CF-18,” a senior government official told reporters in a not-for-attribution media briefing set up by the Tories so that top civil servants on the file could speak plainly about Ottawa’s new jet purchase policy.

The Conservatives have been dogged for months by a damning auditor general’s report last spring that said they selected the F-35 without due regard for price and availability. Back in July, 2010, the Tories announced to great fanfare they would forgo an open competition and would buy the Lockheed warplane because it was the only plane that would serve Canada’s needs. They defended the decision in the 2011 election and often excoriated critics who suggested they had made a mistake.

On Wednesday, Ottawa made a great show of backing away from that decision – while unveiling a full lifetime cost estimate for the Lockheed Martin plane that is five times greater than what the Tories originally advertised it would cost.

The “cradle-to-grave” bill to taxpayers for buying and operating the controversial F-35 warplane will exceed $600-million per jet – or $45-billion in total, the government announced Wednesday. The Tories originally sold the aircraft as a $9-billion purchase.

The $45-billion lifetime estimate may ultimately prove to be too low if the cash-strapped U.S. government cuts its own order for the F-35 – a move that would increase the average price.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose went to great effort Wednesday to distance themselves from the July, 2010, purchase announcement, an event where Mr. MacKay posed for photos in a dummy version of the fighter. “We are pressing reset on this acquisition in order to ensure a balance between military needs and taxpayer interests,” Mr. MacKay told reporters. “Let me be clear: The government of Canada will not proceed with a decision to replace the CF-18 fighter aircraft until all steps … are completed.”

Ottawa formally announced Wednesday it’s now shopping around to see if alternatives to the F-35 better meet its needs as a replacement for the aging CF-18 Hornets. The government has acknowledged, however, that it could again decide the F-35 is best for the job. “We’re undertaking a full-options analysis and the F-35 is obviously one of those options,” Ms. Ambrose told reporters.

Still, the government is holding off calling for open bids to build the plane – as opposition parties are demanding – saying they’ll wait for an options analysis led by the Royal Canadian Air Force first.

The new $45-billion F-35 price tag is based on the most expansive definition of costs over a 30-year lifetime for each jet, including fuel as well as upgrades and maintenance. The bill includes 65 planes and as many as 11 spares – a cost that works out to more than $600-million per plane.

The new forecast, which was scrutinized by consulting firm KPMG, looks at costs incurred over a 42-year-period. Less than 20 per cent of the costs are for buying the initial 65 planes. The other 80 per cent are for keeping this fleet operating.

The Canadian government is still assuming the United States will buy a large order of the jets. In one of the documents Ottawa released Wednesday, it said it’s expecting the U.S. and partners will purchase 3,100 jets – a number that’s expected to fall as Washington, heavily in debt, trims its order.

The government said the overall price tag for Canada will rise by $500-million for every reduction of 400 aircraft that are cut from international orders. That’s because there would be fewer economies of scale to be derived from mass production.

Separately, the Harper government trimmed its estimates for the maximum industrial benefits Canadian companies might win for supplying the F-35 production. This country’s firms are only able to compete for work related to the warplane because Canada joined a consortium of countries planning on buying the jets.

The government said now it believes the maximum potential industrial benefits from F-35 supply work would be $9.8-billion – instead of the $12-billion Ottawa previously touted. So far Canadian companies have secured $438-million in work.

Also, the Harper government has redrawn the list of independent monitors who will oversee the hunt for alternatives to the F-35 Lightning fighter after retired general Charles Bouchard bowed out. He is replaced by former senior civil servant James Mitchell of consulting group Sussex Circle. The others remain the same, including ex-Communications Security Establishment chief Keith Coulter, a former fighter pilot; former federal comptroller-general Rod Monette, who also served as a senior bureaucrat in National Defence; and University of Ottawa professor Philippe Lagassé, an outspoken critic of the jet procurement.

The Harper government is going shopping for alternatives to the controversial F-35 in the most significant demonstration yet that it is prepared to walk away from its first choice for a new warplane.

To demonstrate that they are restarting the procurement process from scratch, Canadian officials will collect information from other plane manufacturers, including U.S.-based Boeing, maker of the Super-Hornet, and the consortium behind the Eurofighter Typhoon. They may also contact Sweden’s Saab, manufacturer of the Gripen, and France’s Dassault, maker of the Rafale.

The ballooning lifetime cost of the F-35 fighter and Ottawa’s decision to shop around for alternatives are creating panic among Canadian companies betting on supply contracts for the Lockheed Martin plane, sources have said.

The government aims to complete this reappraisal of what the fighter aircraft market can offer Canada as expeditiously as possible in 2013.

Government officials said Wednesday that Ottawa has not decided whether to call for competitive bids to supply a plane and will await the results of the options analysis.

Canada has signed no contract to buy F-35s, and while it has signalled to Lockheed Martin, the manufacturer, that it wants 65, it has no obligation to buy them.

It did sign a memorandum of understanding in 2006 that set the terms by which a country would buy the aircraft and also enabled domestic companies to compete for supply contracts for the plane.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #873
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
It's official
Talk about misleading title. Nothing has changed, just more idiots writing bullshit to sell their crap.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #874
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
The $45-billion lifetime estimate may ultimately prove to be too low if the cash-strapped U.S. government cuts its own order for the F-35 – a move that would increase the average price.
Was never a fan of the decision to buy these so now im just soaking this all up
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #875
Banned By Establishment

Put together a little video of my last flight. Like I said, flight sucked but I'm glad I got to test the new GroPro3.

This post thanked by: