REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #651
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Another Act Of Valor preview, it looks pretty legit.

looks like it's going to be awesome.

i'm assuming, of course, that this movie has the full support of the Navy as they've cast real active duty SEALs in this? i suppose that since this is pretty much a pro-armed forces movie, there was incentive to support it. crazy that the Navy allowed active duty members to be lead actors in this though. i mean, it's not like they're CIA operatives that need to keep their IDs a secret but still, why show the faces of these guys to the whole world?
Advertisement
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #652
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
looks like it's going to be awesome.

i'm assuming, of course, that this movie has the full support of the Navy as they've cast real active duty SEALs in this? i suppose that since this is pretty much a pro-armed forces movie, there was incentive to support it. crazy that the Navy allowed active duty members to be lead actors in this though. i mean, it's not like they're CIA operatives that need to keep their IDs a secret but still, why show the faces of these guys to the whole world?
Definitely had the full support of the Navy and JSOC, they supplied all the hardware. My roommate checked out the trailer and said it looks believable and authentic so that's a good sign. Even the uniforms are accurate (something he picks apart in every movie or TV series).

As for the ID's of the SEALS, they're probably 'active duty' but no longer part of an operational unit. Guys that are still truly active aren't even allowed to tell their families what they're doing so they definitely won't be showing their faces in a movie. The movie will be a bit dumbed down in terms of their capabilities, it's not going to show the latest tech and tactics used by DEVGRU for example. It'll be representative of how SEALS operated 5-10 years ago, so nothing to really worry about when it comes to secrecy.

JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #653
I Wanna Go Fast!

This pilot's got some balls:

This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #654
SardaukarMod

Quote:
That's one way to do it.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #655
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I shoulda just gone straight SF...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #656
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Pictures are my friend's from the back seat. He'll have his own Hornet soon hopefully!
Just got kitted and fitted for the g-suit and have the rest of my gear. Hopefully I'll go up tomorrow for the missile shoots.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #657
I Wanna Go Fast!

Belka, how was the ride?

Some great old warbird footage here. The sound

Flightline UK - Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow - Review
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #658
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Belka, how was the ride?
Awesome, did some BFM vs an American F-16. Great ride, pulled "only" 6G's a couple times, definitely a once in a life time opportunity. That anti g-suit sure squeezes the hell outta you. Even if my eyes were good, I don't think I'd want to be a fighter-pilot, just not for me.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #659
I Wanna Go Fast!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #660
My homepage has been set to RS

india selects Dassault’s Rafale for supply of 126 jets

http://www.defencetalk.com/rafale-fi...untries-40250/

tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #661
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

HUD footage of an F-16 evading 6 SAMs. Footage is from Gulf War I

Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #662
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitaro View Post
HUD footage of an F-16 evading 6 SAMs. Footage is from Gulf War I
That pilot is working his ASS off. The F16 can pull 9G, I can only imagine how exhausted he was after jinking to avoid 6 SAM's.

The F16 has always been one of my favourite's. It's amazing to think that other than the T-38 entry level jet trainer the F16 is now the lowest level and oldest fighter the US has in it's inventory. But it's still one of the most maneuverable with the exception of the F22. I've heard stories that when it was first introduced it almost killed a couple pilots, not from G-Lock, but from tearing of their heart muscles. Guys were used to pulling 7-7.5G tops and when they started pulling 9G their hearts were literally tearing from the strain.

It has the only true 'bubble' canopy IMO, best visibility of any fighter I've ever sat in. Very roomy as well with the stick on the right hand console not between your legs. No two-handing it in these!

Some other videos. SU-33 emergency wave off on a carrier landing

F22's can hover, apparently
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #663
I Wanna Go Fast!

This video made me laugh:

A nice overview of the A10:

A10 in action, danger close ground support:

Some docs on ground forces:

Last edited by JD¹³; 02-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #664
Banned By Establishment

Shit is getting real now. External weapons testing starts today.

Flickr: Lockheed Martin's Photostream
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #665
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
This video made me laugh:
Haha that's great. I love the Tomcat.

Laughed when he was drooling, then just smiled when he broke formation with afterburners... what a life
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #666
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

A pic of the Herc that caught fire in Florida. Im curious what fellow revsceners would like Canada to purchase in regards to aviation. Also stating why.

15 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Ecoboost

07 RAV4 Limited V6 *Sold*

90 CRX *Sold*
B16A, larger throttlebody and wires, lowered, 16" rims, front and rear upper strutbars, intake, white gauges, cross drilled brakes, exhaust, other small mods

05 Escape Limited *Sold*
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #667

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
What do you mean purchase? Instead of the F-35? Or just purchase in general?
Posted via RS Mobile
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #668

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
As far as transport goes?

Antonov
/thread
Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #669
I Wanna Go Fast!

The Canadian Forces could really use some Blackhawk's of various configurations to bridge the gap between the heavy lifting, troop transport Chinook and the little Griffon which are a maintenance nightmare. Blackhawk's aren't cheap by any means but they're reliable and spare parts aren't hard to come by.

The Blackhawk is the most versatile mid-sized helo out there and can be used for S&R, Medivac, quick response troop transport, tactical insertion, and close air support (something our ground guys have very very little of). I would bet that a couple Blackhawk gunships would have been very welcomed by our guys in Afghanistan during the first couple years there when the fighting was heaviest.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #670
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I like your idea about the blackhawks. I had thought getting 2 more C-117 before the production line ends would be a good idea, with the size of our country and how much we use them, a couple more would help with the hours we seem to be racking on the 4 of them so far. I also thought 6-8 Global Hawks for coastal survailance could be a major asset. Picking up the US C-27 Spartans they just cancelled on for the FWSAR program since we could get a real bargin for them. I also heard Agustawestland wants to make a few of the ex US 101's Commorant able, 9 of the 11 I believe, but these ones are able to be transported by our C-117's, which could be an asset for DART or such?

Edit: As for fighter Im not so sure... While the F-35 seems to sound good on paper, I just dont see how we can afford them, even the minimum 65 of them the Government insists we only need. With the vast distance between our air bases to our northern boundry of airspace, what about going with a faster jet in the F-15 Silent Eagle, or the very cheap Gripen NG so we can afford to have a large number of fighters and with a supercruise ability? Or with India and probably Brazil going for the Rafale, is that an option now that we can look at, or are we better looking at Super Hornet or Typhoon?

15 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Ecoboost

07 RAV4 Limited V6 *Sold*

90 CRX *Sold*
B16A, larger throttlebody and wires, lowered, 16" rims, front and rear upper strutbars, intake, white gauges, cross drilled brakes, exhaust, other small mods

05 Escape Limited *Sold*

Last edited by CRX SiR; 02-23-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added thoughts and questions.
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #671
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRX SiR View Post
Edit: As for fighter Im not so sure... While the F-35 seems to sound good on paper, I just dont see how we can afford them, even the minimum 65 of them the Government insists we only need. With the vast distance between our air bases to our northern boundry of airspace, what about going with a faster jet in the F-15 Silent Eagle, or the very cheap Gripen NG so we can afford to have a large number of fighters and with a supercruise ability? Or with India and probably Brazil going for the Rafale, is that an option now that we can look at, or are we better looking at Super Hornet or Typhoon?
For transports, I'd like to see 4-6 more C-17's and perhaps temporarily attach one to each fighter squadron, since we travel so much. It's pretty pathetic when we have to hop across cities in North America with all our kit because we don't have enough airlift.

For fighters, I truly believe the F35 is the best choice for us. The technology is incredible compared to anything else out there, we will have the most capable and advanced fighter money can buy. Everything else already outdated and buying something like the Super Hornet or Eurofighter will only be MORE expensive and we will essentially be taking a step back. The Super is pretty much a larger version of what we have now. It's nothing more than a big bomb truck that gets its ass kicked in A/A combat vs our lighter legacy hornets. The Eurofighter has its own problems. Eurofighter Typhoon: It's EVEN WORSE than we thought • The Register
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #672

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
I agree that Canada needs to seriously upgrade its tactical and strategic airlift capability... it is a bit embarrassing when we need to hitch rides and borrow planes to transport troops and equipment overseas on deployment.

The C-27's that are being sold off by the US represent a very good value for money, and a plane that works for us - it can transport the G-Wagens that our troops use, as Australia is doing, and it has excellent rough-field capability, better than the C-130. This would fulfill our tactical airlift needs and also provide a supplement to our new C-130J's that are coming in. The older aircraft can then be retired... I know we still carry a bunch of older units that have been serving longer than most of their crew.

Strategic airlift also needs expansion - what belka said makes sense. C-17's are pretty much the only choice right now, the A400M isn't in the same weight class.

Fighter-wise, I would like to see the Rafale. It seems a better value than the F-35, and even though it's not a 5th generation fighter it is pretty advanced in its own right. Supercruise, AESA radar, interoperability with the NATO air forces, semi-stealthy, good short-field capability (much like the Gripen NG), modern data-handling computers and interfaces including voice input and possibly HMD/JHMCS in the future, etc., seems to match up good with the F-35's capabilities. Plus, it looks so damn good.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #673
I Wanna Go Fast!

Pops taxiing off the runway after a performance this summer:

The most likely fighter should the F35 program really go to shit would be the new F-18 Silent Hornet Boeing has been developing. More fuel capacity, more power, internalized weapons, and a completely new and fully integrated cockpit similar to the F35's.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #674
My homepage has been set to RS

su-30 mki

tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #675
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

JD, your dad flies the Sabre?!

Anyone in the loop about how the Cyclone is coming along to replace the Sea King? It's been so long since I've heard anything about it from anyone.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote