REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 10-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #1476
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,014 Times in 8,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Edit: ok finished the show now. Seems like she's more triggered about improper translation which I can understand.
But for someone like myself that can't speak Korean, obviously I wouldn't notice. But I don't really feel like I missed anything even with this new information.
Yeah it's an issue with translation in general, probably not a huge deal for the show itself. I saw one screenshot from the show that compared the English subs to English CC, and they said totally different things
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #1477
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Yeah English subs are weak a lot of times with shows on Netflix, if you can read Chinese, the Chinese subs are usually far more accurate

Anyone watch Only Murders in the Building? It's on Disney+ Stars

I like it, Martin Short and Steve Martin with Selena Gomez investigating a murder in their apartment building

It's got a nice style, only slightly comedic, and the cinematography is nicely done

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-05-2021 at 02:27 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #1478
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Dubbed is the absolute worst. I cannot watch a dubbed movie at all. Subtitles aren't necessarily fun but at least you catch the vibe; dubbing destroys that.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #1479

Okay I been watching Midnight Mass, its a slow burn religious horror

And its a must watch, each episode so far has been getting better n better

You have to be the type who is fine with a lot of dialogue though, but so good (even the dialogue)
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #1480

Not Netflix, but maybe this time of year is a good time to recommend the series EVIL by Robert and Michelle King (Good Wife). It went from CBS season 1 to Paramount+ for season 2 (so it benefits from not being on broadcast TV). The season 2 finale is next week. Great acting, EXCELLENT writing (which for TV is rare), you root for the good guys and HATE the bad guys. One of the best TV villains in forever.

It is the best show on TV right now. I can't recommend it highly enough!

I won't spoil anything, just watch it and discover the places it goes.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #1481
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,794 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Korean audio with eng subtitles
Not a new opinion I definitely always watch in its original language with subtitles. The dubbed always quite match the actor obviously and it doesn't have tje same effect. The only exception to the rule for me is watching Japanese anime dubbed in Cantonese. Growing up watching dragon ball, Saint Swiss, Ding dong etc in Canto was money.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #1482
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I remember watching Dragonball mostly in Cantonese, the voice acting was spot on. I remember being shocked that Goku's voice was so high pitched when I heard it in Japanese the first time.

Welp finished Squid Game. I thought it was pretty decent but not to the extent of the hype it has generated. I personally prefer Alice in Borderland. Maybe it was because I didn't know what to expect going into that, and then 2 episodes later the intensity was dialed up to 11 and then it was just a non-stop balls to the walls thrill ride until the end.
My cousins spent an entire dinner raving about Squid Game so it was so pumped up for me. I had higher expectations going in, if that makes sense.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #1483
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,597 Times in 4,323 Posts

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #1484

Thanked 1,794 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I remember watching Dragonball mostly in Cantonese, the voice acting was spot on. I remember being shocked that Goku's voice was so high pitched when I heard it in Japanese the first time.

Welp finished Squid Game. I thought it was pretty decent but not to the extent of the hype it has generated. I personally prefer Alice in Borderland. Maybe it was because I didn't know what to expect going into that, and then 2 episodes later the intensity was dialed up to 11 and then it was just a non-stop balls to the walls thrill ride until the end.
My cousins spent an entire dinner raving about Squid Game so it was so pumped up for me. I had higher expectations going in, if that makes sense.
In some ways I really like Alice In Borderland more but the whole mansion ark was hella wack for me. On an overall basis Squid Game wins out for me.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #1485
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Just finished Squid Game.

I recommend it!

Spoiler!
Agreed on all your points,
Spoiler!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #1486
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,406 Times in 5,469 Posts
After thinking about it for a bit, I had the following problems with Squid Game:

Spoiler!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #1487
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,427 Times in 561 Posts
Just going to say that the first half of squid game was way better than the back half.

Looking forward to the second season of Alice in Borderland to come out. I think it's a more well rounded show and better produced and written, but didn't have that "nostalgic" or "relatable" appeal that squid game did.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #1488

Thanked 4,915 Times in 1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
10/10

They're trying to cancel him hard for this one.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #1489

The one thing that made me laugh about Squid Game is simply the cultural parallels between Korean and Western culture.

Specifically the main character when he wins all that money at the end. It's so Korean of him to feel this sense of guilt, to which he doesn't spend a single penny of that money until the old man tells him to smarten up, and that he earned it.

A western version of this show would've had the winner literally BALLING out, the minute the cash was in hand, without a single thought
Old 10-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #1490
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,254 Posts
Dave Chappelle The Closer, I couldn't help but notice the two fat white women about 6-7 rows deep center who were just stone faced the whole time lol, like you knew they weren't fans of his but they went anyways because they probably seek out being triggered. I found it hilarious nonetheless and he was pretty much on point through most of it.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2021, 01:56 AM   #1491
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,377 Times in 991 Posts
Dave's show was fucking deep. I thought it wasn't his best starting off with his jokes. I stuck with it and the end had depth. So solid and deep, his delivery and story telling is legit. *if you're looking for cheap jokes and sexy stories, this ain't for you.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2021, 03:18 AM   #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Dave Chappelle The Closer, I couldn't help but notice the two fat white women about 6-7 rows deep center who were just stone faced the whole time lol, like you knew they weren't fans of his but they went anyways because they probably seek out being triggered. I found it hilarious nonetheless and he was pretty much on point through most of it.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #1493
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,073 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
My hunch was that the younger one was a fan, I saw her laughing. Mom probably funded it and went because daughter had no one else to go with

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #1494

That pink haired lady was getting mad @ the white Trump lover jokes

That last joke/story of the trans comedian was a literal masterclass in storytelling. He takes you on the story ride, and BAM, hits you with something you don't expect (her passing), which invokes a ton of emotion. Rounds it out perfectly when speaking about her child. I couldn't help but geek out how well written and performed that story was.

Man, he really is the GOAT.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2021, 09:27 PM   #1495

The amount of ppl attacking him and ignoring his craft and its message are shocking tho

Thought the special was good, definitely recommend it!
The two Israel jokes he snuck in (space Jews) were a bit of a surprise but well done, and fit in with his empathy theme. The end tale of his trans friend daphne was excellent, even shed a tear what an emotional ride
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #1496

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Dave Chappelle The Closer 9.5/10 - A fitting close for him. He came out kinda punchline-y, which was a bit different for him. That threw me off a bit. Otherwise it was top notch story-telling and delivery. Great topics offering great perspective.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #1497
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,043 Times in 1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
The one thing that made me laugh about Squid Game is simply the cultural parallels between Korean and Western culture.
Maybe should spoiler tag this post.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #1498
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

lol, I never watched DBS, but I found DBZ's Japanese OST was very underwhelming, especially in all the dramatic parts. I also can't stand Goku's Japanese voice.

I'm going to check out Alice in Borderland next. I was trying to find other shows that were kind of similar to Squid Game and this one was mentioned from several sources. Based on the trailer, the style of show seems to involve more fantasy and less grounded in reality so I'm not sure if I will like it as much. But still worth a try.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #1499

Thanked 14,841 Times in 3,881 Posts
The Lego movie finally on Netflix. Rewatched tonight, still a fantastic movie
Old 10-13-2021, 11:21 PM   #1500
Banned (ABWS)?

Lol, I finished Alice in Borderland. Binged it in a couple of days.

It was pretty good. Although ep1 wasn't bad and there was great suspense, the overall theme felt a bit silly so it took me a while to really feel hooked. Mind you, this show does seem to have a lot of plot holes (at least from my understanding) so I felt I had to turn my brain off in various parts to enjoy the ride.

---

Since I just finished watching Squid Game not too long ago, it was easy to compare between the two shows. But besides the concept of playing games to survive, that's where it really ends. The two shows are very different. I personally enjoyed SG better because it's grounded in reality and more of a drama thriller, but AiB is still a great alternative if you enjoy action thriller/mystery, with a bit of over-the-top "anime" stylized characters.