REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
whats this place called, i'd like to check it out and compare to king ed's (they are mom, pop, grandma, grandson, uncle, neighbor crew lol)
Google has them listed as multiplex aquarium and pet supplies. It's off the north west corner of Hastings and nanaimo.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
whats this place called, i'd like to check it out and compare to king ed's (they are mom, pop, grandma, grandson, uncle, neighbor crew lol)
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...34.86,,1,-1.36

use to go there all the time. nice people
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #28
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
messy, yes. some don't grow to be that big though
It's not nessesarily the size of their bodies that's an issue with tank size. It's the size of their territory and the amount of demand they'll put on the ecosystem.

Plecos 1 MUST have drift wood. They must (which they won't tell you at the pet store). This takes up water volume when you already have precious little in a 30G already (I know it seems like a lot to a new fish keeper but a 30G is considered a 'small tank' within the hobby and smaller is MUCH harder to maintain than larger). Additionally a pleco makes a lot of mess, which adds more nitrates and ammonia into your water (of which you have very little to dilute it in a small tank) which means you're either going to have to be EXTREMELY diligent about your care or you'll end up in a bad place. Plecos also have dietary needs that can make them more diffecult to mix with other fish (some are strict herbavores for example, some need higher quality foods, if they eat your other fish's foods they'll get sick). They also tend to hide and you don't see much of them especially in a smaller tank where they're anxious, so you're going to a great deal of work for a fish you're really not going to get to 'enjoy'.

I just don't recommend them when there are fish like cories who are both entertaining (they school adorably) and better suited to a small tank.

I love the plecos but big tank only.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #29
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
It's not nessesarily the size of their bodies that's an issue with tank size. It's the size of their territory and the amount of demand they'll put on the ecosystem.

Plecos 1 MUST have drift wood. They must (which they won't tell you at the pet store). This takes up water volume when you already have precious little in a 30G already (I know it seems like a lot to a new fish keeper but a 30G is considered a 'small tank' within the hobby and smaller is MUCH harder to maintain than larger). Additionally a pleco makes a lot of mess, which adds more nitrates and ammonia into your water (of which you have very little to dilute it in a small tank) which means you're either going to have to be EXTREMELY diligent about your care or you'll end up in a bad place. Plecos also have dietary needs that can make them more diffecult to mix with other fish (some are strict herbavores for example, some need higher quality foods, if they eat your other fish's foods they'll get sick). They also tend to hide and you don't see much of them especially in a smaller tank where they're anxious, so you're going to a great deal of work for a fish you're really not going to get to 'enjoy'.

I just don't recommend them when there are fish like cories who are both entertaining (they school adorably) and better suited to a small tank.

I love the plecos but big tank only.
you make a good point, but a lot of it comes down to the species, and just how well they adapt to the system you've set up

example - i have a 45g tank right now stocked with a whole variety of community fishes. i've got one pleco in there, got him when he was about 1.5 inches long and he's about 7 now. i've got a planted tank and in the beginning i fed him a lot of what i used to feed my other plecos, but he didn't take (other plecos ive had loved those herbivore disk things that sink to the bottom). a few days later as i'm feeding the rest of my fish with flakes and bloodworms, i see him swim to the top, flip to his back and suck food from the top

each fish is different, sizewise, dietwise, basically in every way. however i do agree with you, in a 30 gallon, most plecos probably wouldn't do very well
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

believe me, within a year you will probably upgrade to a different size tank..lol..whatever fish you get. You'll probably get bored of it and change your set up, cus you will never be sastify with what you have.. I went from a 20 gal to start, then ended up with a 55g,75g, 90g and 135g all in the same room. but i ended up selling everything and got out of the hobby..Now that you got me thinking i wouldn't mind starting up again..go big or go home. lol..

it's an addicting hobby and lots of work. make sure you do your water change once a week, usually 50% is good and your fish should be happy, don't be lazy.

good luck deciding on what you want, either way it's fun..

bcaquaria.com is a great site another one i recomend if you're into cichlid is malawimayhem.com they're also local.
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #31

^ +1

i started by finding a 20gallon in my garage storage that we used when i was little.
then i got a 45g, then a 55g, then another 55g (it was dirt cheap) and finally stopped at a 90g but only because i got no more room. otherwise i'd go bigger like a 220g.

it is very addicting but i find myself bored of it after 3 years? gets tiresome changing water for 3 fish tanks. now i only got a 55g and a 90g. maybe ill upgrade in the summer and use the 55g as a sump or breeding tank.

as for fish suggestions.. a 30g is small since its your first time though, the hardy the fish the better.. so maybe some angel fish? they're nice and calm. don't eat a lot, aren't aggressive and semi easy to breed. or you could go for the cichlids, some have nice colors like for example jack dempseys or you could do a pair of blood parrots. i've always liked them because they're bright in color and nice and fat.

as long as your tank is cycled before you throw the fish you want to keep in there. and the temp is good along with regular water changes. you'll have some happy fish!
should post a pic when you get them.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I did the same started with a 10 and wound up with like 8 tanks up to a 90 inside a year.

KT> Yeah, I'm not saying you CAN'T do it. I had clown plecos in my 30 when they were babies and moved them up to a larger tank when they got older. Just what I'm saying is that for a new fish keeper I wouldn't advise it. Also a 45G is half again the size of a 30 and has a larger foot print which means more territory space for a pleco, maybe even 2. Longer tanks I found were always easier to manage then taller, that's why I always liked the "breeder" tanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i demand pics of this tank after!
FOREVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

An XP3 is a good choice because it gives you the extra basket to put whatever you want in as opposed to the xp2, just make sure to buy more biomax media because the ones they give you are not enough to host biological bacteria.

I agree with most of the people here, you buy small but you end up going big thus the xp3 will work even if you upgrade to a 55gallon or higher.

I have 2 55 gallons (one is running an xp3) right now stocked with redline torpedoes, gold barbs, odessas and siamese alge eaters.

For a 33, i'd consider a community tank set up.

If you want shoaling fish, tetras are good
If you want more aggressive but still small, barbs *specific to some*
If you want small, certain rasboras and endlers
If you want colourful fish, lots of rainbows *but gets big unless you get the dwaf ones*
But check out the local fish stores and see what you like and make sure your tanks will be able to house the fish.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Here are some local fish places around town

J&L Aquatics, salt water mainly but one of the better places to get equipment
King Eds on kingsway and edmonds, overall a good place to shop for equipment and fish
Fraser Aquarium, good place to buy freshwater fish and some *special type* of fish
Northern America Aquarium, good place for cheap community fish and gold fish
Fantasy Aquarium
Aprils Aquarium, great local supporter of the lifestyle
Island Pets Unlimited
PJ Pet
Pet Habitat, metro town, brentwood, richmond centre
Pet smart
Aquariums West in Downtown
Rogers Aquarium

I'm sure there are more, but these places will keep your mind busy
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
fafine, what do you keep?

i just got my 210 cycled, everything is runnin smooth =)
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

dont do a planted set up. i had a high tech 33g plant set up

its alot of money for the lights, CO2, ferts, substrate

then you have to factor in time and you will battle algae and have to adjust your CO2 or levels of oxygen/fertilizer

BTW.. you will get BTS (bigger tank syndrome)

i now only have 210 gallon.

i've got a 135g plexi glass with stand for sale
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
fafine, what do you keep?

i just got my 210 cycled, everything is runnin smooth =)
you gonna post some pix or what?

i got nothing special in my tanks.. thinking of flowerhorns before summer maybe. right now its just couple angels left in the community tank and then my jardini living by himself in another tank.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #39
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with cherry shrimp. Also wondering if anyone here uses any ferts for their tank.
TeriyakiSawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #40
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriyakiSawce View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with cherry shrimp. Also wondering if anyone here uses any ferts for their tank.
i have exp w/ both but the real pros are on bcaquaria. some knowledgeable people there.
SilvLX888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #41

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/ to find everything you need know about fish. from diy tank building to breeding your fish
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Ahhh! Well if it's still the same owners I'm sure they're still just as good.
I wish it were I was there a few weeks back, and was dissapointed. They've started carrying supplies for other pets (like dogs, cats, etc), which is a shame, but I understand why.

Fish selection was good, but not great... tank conditions were average. Not as flawless as it used to be a few years ago was I was more into the hobby.

Since starting up one of my tanks again, I'm shocked to admit that Petland has been a good place for fish. Especially on their cheap day(s). Wed I think?

Though I'd love to support a local mom & pop shop if I can find a good one.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #43
Better safe than Surrey

I would not recommend Island pets unlimited. North road location.

I had purchased 8 Cardinal Tetras from them recently all but one died and they gave the rest of my fish a bad case of ick. I was in there this weekend and the Gourami tank had 3 dead ones and a few more on the brink. Ever since they changed names the quality had been slowly depreciating.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

^ you just have to be careful, IPU is a pretty decent petstore * just not the overprice fish*
the workers do know their fish
you should keep them in a seperate tank or even a bucket with just a pump for a day- 3 days to watch out
cardinals wont die even if you dont have a pump for a week easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
you gonna post some pix or what?

i got nothing special in my tanks.. thinking of flowerhorns before summer maybe. right now its just couple angels left in the community tank and then my jardini living by himself in another tank.

soon i will haha
just spent another 1 triple 0 on my fish supplies and livestock last nite sighhh
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #45
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
^ you just have to be careful, IPU is a pretty decent petstore * just not the overprice fish*
the workers do know their fish
you should keep them in a seperate tank or even a bucket with just a pump for a day- 3 days to watch out
cardinals wont die even if you dont have a pump for a week easily
I agree, most of the workers are very knowledgeable.

Have been going to that store when it was Big Al's and watched it change over to IPU, ever since then the quality of livestock has been slowly depreciating. I still purchase food and general supplies from there though.

I usually try and ween the fish slowly into my water conditions by having a 75-25 mix of store water and my tank water, every couple hours drain more off and add more of my water until its almost all my tank water. Works well for me, as I dislike mixing too much store water with my tank water. But if the fish have an disease, likely they can still transfer it to the other tank inhabitants.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #46
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
I agree, most of the workers are very knowledgeable.

Have been going to that store when it was Big Al's and watched it change over to IPU, ever since then the quality of livestock has been slowly depreciating. I still purchase food and general supplies from there though.

I usually try and ween the fish slowly into my water conditions by having a 75-25 mix of store water and my tank water, every couple hours drain more off and add more of my water until its almost all my tank water. Works well for me, as I dislike mixing too much store water with my tank water. But if the fish have an disease, likely they can still transfer it to the other tank inhabitants.
Never mix store water with your water
you will have full tank of dead fish
i rarely ever go to IPU, everything is over priced unless its boxing sale ! haha
Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #47
Need to Seek Professional Help

No love for guppies? Recently started a 40g tank. Planning to fill it with Male guppies, Neon Tetras and Shrimp. Female guppies in a separate tank for selective breeding.

@OP: Any updates/picture of your tank?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #48
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
whenever i move to a bigger place, i'm probably gonna start a shrimp tank. hopefully big enough so all i ever have to do is clean off the algae from the glass and top up the water.

anyone know any CRS breeders that sell CRS at a cheap price. i swear i should just breed CRS and undercut everyone. no little red and white shrimp should be worth what they're being sold for right now.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #49
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
whenever i move to a bigger place, i'm probably gonna start a shrimp tank. hopefully big enough so all i ever have to do is clean off the algae from the glass and top up the water.

anyone know any CRS breeders that sell CRS at a cheap price. i swear i should just breed CRS and undercut everyone. no little red and white shrimp should be worth what they're being sold for right now.
They're going for what right now? $12.99?

Even breeders at BC Aquaria are asking similar prices. =/
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #50
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchiecchi View Post
They're going for what right now? $12.99?

Even breeders at BC Aquaria are asking similar prices. =/
ill get my friend to breed like 100 and throw em in a giant nelegene bottle with sponges and get someone to check in their luggage next time they're on their way back (from asia)
i only need 30 to survive. lol. or less.

i did that last time with the cheap version, they're not CRS, they're just... see through (not glass shrimp). same family as bee, crs, etc. they're just clear instead. i gave the survivors to my buddy and now there's like a shit load cuz he keeps breeding em and separating them into diff tanks.

Im sure u can do that with CRS, they're a bit more finicky but whatever. lol. buying 200 of em costs more than a god damn dog!

the idea for me is, have a big enough tank, that they can keep breeding, and have enough plants so i never have to do any water changes. oh and i'll throw in 1 really really nice perfect half moon betta in there. and he can feed off them. but there must be enough crs to reproduce at least as fast as he eats them.

probably throw in a few japonica in there too.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote