REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Fish for 30 gal - UPDATED WITH PICS!!

I recently got a 30 gal and i'm planning to buy a xp3 for it soon. Any ideas for possible fish to put in my tank?

TIA

UPDATE #2:

Fish:

13 Neon Tetras
2 Fire Honey Gouramis
4 Hi-Fin Danios
3 Peppered Cories
6 Cherry Shrimp

Equipment:
XP3
11 Plants
200 Watt Marineland StealthPro
Bubble Wand With 2 Model 700s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1585 2.jpg (397.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.jpg (393.7 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement

Last edited by TeriyakiSawce; 02-03-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Updated
TeriyakiSawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Better safe than Surrey

Depends what kind of tank your planning on creating.

Do you want an aggressive tank or a community tank?

I would start with some cheap fish to begin the cycling of the tank. Because you will lose a few on the initial start up of a tank.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

you can just get a xp2 instead of xp3..it's a little cheaper. Xp3 is rated up to 175g i believe...but you can get it if you plan to put alot of fish in your 30 gal. I would start off with smaller types of cichlic, you'll probably enjoy them more then community fish. However, if you're new to fish you should start with some cheaper and easier fish to keep..goto king ed and get some feeder fish once you start up your tank..good for cycling for a few weeks. Then after you can do whatever you want, just make sure you don't get fish that will get too big too fast cus you will need bigger tanks for that..it's an addicting hobbie so enjoy!
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I recommend cycling with ammonia not with fish.

With a 30G you'll wanna go with community fish, ciclids in a tank that small are going to be high maitenance. I would recommend some black fins (Which actually get quite large and are very hardy) for schooling (about 6), about 4 corys (they'll grow big too and are adorable for the bottom) and then you could look at putting in a pretty, colorful beta (a siamese fighting fish) or something like that to brighten it up.

I would recommend going with sand on the bottom and light plants (java fern is mega hardy) as this will keep down your maitanence a lot too.

King Eds has great prices for plants and fish. Please don't just fill your tank and dump animals in it though.

There's several good sights for fish keeping around. If you ever need smaller quarentine tanks let me know too, as I'm actually aging out my tanks and getting out of the hobby so I have way more then I will ever need again.

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/ - is a very good local forum for fish keepers with a plethora of info and breeding contacts and the like.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I would make a low lighted planted tank, low light plants grow realy slow, some easy care plants to put in is the anubias, java fern and moss.... since u got a 30 gallon, i would put in some dwarf cichlids, apistogramma species or blue rams.. many diff. types of apistogrammas available.. dwarf cichlids need 1 sq ft each.. otherwise you will see them attacking the crap outa each other and may lead to death or serious injury.. so for a 30 gallon you can prob get 3 or 2..
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportXxX View Post
you can just get a xp2 instead of xp3..it's a little cheaper. Xp3 is rated up to 175g i believe...but you can get it if you plan to put alot of fish in your 30 gal.
I was thinking about getting an xp2 but for a 20 dollar difference i might as well get the xp3. I was thinking about a red tiger oscar, but a community tank seems like another interesting alternative for me. I have a smaller planted 10 gal with a betta and lot of snails in it.

Last edited by TeriyakiSawce; 01-04-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriyakiSawce View Post
I was thinking about getting an xp2 but for a 20 dollar difference i might as well get the xp3. I was thinking about a red tiger oscar, because community fish seem too high of a maintenance for me. I have a smaller planted 10 gal with a betta and lot of snails in it.

do not get an oscar, it will out grow your tank within 6 months and then you will need to get a bigger tank or sell it and oscar's are hard to sell..i used to have it but end up given it away
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Heard that planted tanks can get pretty expensive. So you might want to look into the cost before you start.

Personally I like discus, but I'm not sure if a 30gallon's enough space to keep them. On the other hand, I've had a lot of success keeping gold & green severums. Nice to look at, hardy and they're not overly aggressive. However, they do grow pretty fast if you give them the space. I'd recommend keeping maybe 2-4 for a 30 gallon.

I ended up selling them off for a profit when I switched to salt water. But they grew from maybe the size of a toonie to the size of my palm in about 6-12 months. I'd do it all over again if I was still into the hobby.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
RS Licensed Vendor

I was just about to suggest checking out BCAquaria.com
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Heard that planted tanks can get pretty expensive. So you might want to look into the cost before you start.

Personally I like discus, but I'm not sure if a 30gallon's enough space to keep them. On the other hand, I've had a lot of success keeping gold & green severums. Nice to look at, hardy and they're not overly aggressive. However, they do grow pretty fast if you give them the space. I'd recommend keeping maybe 2-4 for a 30 gallon.

I ended up selling them off for a profit when I switched to salt water. But they grew from maybe the size of a toonie to the size of my palm in about 6-12 months. I'd do it all over again if I was still into the hobby.
There's different types of setups. It's costly depending on how big the tank is and what type of plants you keep.

If you're looking at Amano style tanks, then yes its bloody expensive.

I had a 10 gallon tank with just normal gravel, DIY co2, EI method of dosing and florescent lighting and it turned out beautiful. Most important thing is consistency.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I would start the cycle with some cheap fish, than goto a community tank . goodluck
guesskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Also take into consideration on what type of maintenance you want to do. I'm lazy so I chose tough things to put in my tank.

I have harlequin rasporas and albino corydoras, because they are both really hardy fish. I only clean my tank once every 6 months and sometimes I forget to feed them. I've had albino corydoras that lived over 5 years.

I also have a piece of driftwood with cryptocoryne plants growing off it. Cryptocorynes are very low maintenance plants, they will survive with whatever light you give them. Also good for oxygen
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Also take into consideration on what type of maintenance you want to do. I'm lazy so I chose tough things to put in my tank.

I have harlequin rasporas and albino corydoras, because they are both really hardy fish. I only clean my tank once every 6 months and sometimes I forget to feed them. I've had albino corydoras that lived over 5 years.

I also have a piece of driftwood with cryptocoryne plants growing off it. Cryptocorynes are very low maintenance plants, they will survive with whatever light you give them. Also good for oxygen
I had 3 albino corydoras for my 10 gal. Back then i wasn't cleaning my gravel well so they ended up dying. But since i'll probably get a community tank they would seem like a nice addition. The cryptocorne plants look pretty dope. I'll definitely think about putting those in my tank.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #14

10 neon tetra, 10 rummy nose tetro.,, u are good to go, add some nice resistant plants to it
Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

They don't have to be expensive at all, hardy plants are actually pretty inexpensive (Java fern and moss especially)

A 30G is not tall enough for Discus (you want either a 40 tall or a 60) and generally considered too small for Severums unless it's a long breeder and even still I really wouldn't put them in anything smaller then a 60.

Dwarf ciclids do well in a 30G like rams and kribs but the rams are high maintenance and the kribs will either breed like mad or kill each other. Neither are situations I would recommend for a new fish keeper.

I highly recommend going over to BC Aquaria. Also I totally recommend Big Al's by Lougheed Mall for picking up plants and stock. While their prices are a bit higher then King Eds they're far better about quarintining their fish and I've had fewer problems with sick stock from them.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
They don't have to be expensive at all, hardy plants are actually pretty inexpensive (Java fern and moss especially)

A 30G is not tall enough for Discus (you want either a 40 tall or a 60) and generally considered too small for Severums unless it's a long breeder and even still I really wouldn't put them in anything smaller then a 60.

Dwarf ciclids do well in a 30G like rams and kribs but the rams are high maintenance and the kribs will either breed like mad or kill each other. Neither are situations I would recommend for a new fish keeper.

I highly recommend going over to BC Aquaria. Also I totally recommend Big Al's by Lougheed Mall for picking up plants and stock. While their prices are a bit higher then King Eds they're far better about quarintining their fish and I've had fewer problems with sick stock from them.
just to point out, Big AL's had a management change since last year, I don't know what they are called as of now.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
just go to king eds, they have fishes 50% for fresh and 30% for salt
they usually have the best deals
but their customer service is complete shit at times
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #18
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
just to point out, Big AL's had a management change since last year, I don't know what they are called as of now.
From what I know, it wasn't a management change. The stores in the lower mainland were franchises and the owner decided to get out and converted his stores to island pet's or whatever.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Best mom and pops type fish store is on nanaimo and Hastings. Cheap and good quality fish

I also get my fish food there. Hikari micro pellets are awesome
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
From what I know, it wasn't a management change. The stores in the lower mainland were franchises and the owner decided to get out and converted his stores to island pet's or whatever.
Ahhh! Well if it's still the same owners I'm sure they're still just as good.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #21
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
10 neon tetra, 10 rummy nose tetro.,, u are good to go, add some nice resistant plants to it
id do this too, maybe 8 neons and 8 rummy nose's, and then a pleco or something, maybe one or two more random fishes
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
go big or go home
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Best mom and pops type fish store is on nanaimo and Hastings. Cheap and good quality fish

I also get my fish food there. Hikari micro pellets are awesome
Posted via RS Mobile
whats this place called, i'd like to check it out and compare to king ed's (they are mom, pop, grandma, grandson, uncle, neighbor crew lol)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
id do this too, maybe 8 neons and 8 rummy nose's, and then a pleco or something, maybe one or two more random fishes
Plecos get way too big and messy for a 30G. There are some that grow slowly and could be okay for a while but eventually they'll need a bigger tank.

Cory's and ottos for bottom feeding in anything under a 40.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Plecos get way too big and messy for a 30G. There are some that grow slowly and could be okay for a while but eventually they'll need a bigger tank.

Cory's and ottos for bottom feeding in anything under a 40.
messy, yes. some don't grow to be that big though
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote