REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #151
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Yep RayBot is right- the throat and lung stuff you need to keep working on.

Good running shoes are a must- I used to run on Nike trainers/Frees, and they're definitely not the right shoe for me. If you're game, read on the differences between neutral/stability/motion control types of shoes and try a bunch on (don't forget to do a light jog in them in store). Ankle/knee pain is almost non-existent now that I've picked up a good pair of running shoes fit for my running habits.

Also, since you're just starting out again I'd suggest running in set intervals to have a better idea on how you're progressing. Something like a "run 5 mins walk 1 min x 4 reps" program can quickly tell you where you're at with your running stamina. Too easy? Bump up the running portion or reps. Too hard? Do the opposite.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually look forward to running nowadays.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #152

I started running last year to slim down for my wedding

First week of running was painful ughh

Get a good pair of running shoes and take it at your own pace. Don't push yourself too hard, let your body adjust.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #153

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
I started running last year to slim down for my wedding

First week of running was painful ughh

Get a good pair of running shoes and take it at your own pace. Don't push yourself too hard, let your body adjust.
Hah that's almost the exact reason I started (I'm doing Tough Mudder which is a month before wedding, so it's a double whammy).

Also something to note- make it a habit to stretch after running. Start at ankles and move your way up. Foam roll if you have one lying around as well. Your body will not only thank you in the long run, but it will help you recover from general tightness/soreness after runs.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #154
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Anyone doing the BMO half or full marathon on May 3?
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #155
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Yep RayBot is right- the throat and lung stuff you need to keep working on.

Good running shoes are a must- I used to run on Nike trainers/Frees, and they're definitely not the right shoe for me. If you're game, read on the differences between neutral/stability/motion control types of shoes and try a bunch on (don't forget to do a light jog in them in store). Ankle/knee pain is almost non-existent now that I've picked up a good pair of running shoes fit for my running habits.

Also, since you're just starting out again I'd suggest running in set intervals to have a better idea on how you're progressing. Something like a "run 5 mins walk 1 min x 4 reps" program can quickly tell you where you're at with your running stamina. Too easy? Bump up the running portion or reps. Too hard? Do the opposite.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually look forward to running nowadays.
Currently using a pair of Nike Flex Fury. Seems decent but I still like to run on Nike Free (that's what I use before).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #156
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,391 Times in 270 Posts
I ran today for the first time in years. Ran from Science World to Cambie Bridge and back. I found it too short, so i ran to Burrard Bridge and back. Man False Creek is beautiful! Will try to make this a weekly thing and hit some food joints along the way.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #157
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Good weather these days. Perfect for running. I like to jog around my neighbourhood, usually 30minutes - 1 hour on weekends.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #158

Great running weather, been running with friends now

I might get a new pair of shoes, I have 1 pair of Mizunos and like them.

What do you guys like/use?

Usually run 2x a week, about 5 to 7 km each time.
Pace is about 5:30min - 6min per KM
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #159
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I run 6-7 days per week and swear by having 2-3 pairs of shoes in my rotation. Older shoes are reserved for shorter runs and fresh shoes for weekend long runs. Having shoes everywhere drives my wife crazy but keeps me healthy (knock on wood!)

I do the majority of my training in lightweight, moderately cushioned shoes. I'm really liking the Nike Zoom Elite and New Balance M890, relatively light but enough cushioning for 20+ km runs and I can usually get 750+ km before my knees get sore. I think the next pair to try will be the Brooks Launch, and I'd like to try a pair of Hokas to see what the hype is about.

I do speed work/racing in New Balance MR1400v2s, great shoes that are cheap online.

(I have no affiliation with this company but check runningwarehouse.com; their sale prices are great and free shipping/return shipping makes trying shoes painless)
Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #160
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
if you're neutral pronation..asics gel nimbus are highly rated
really happy with my nimbus 13 with superfeet blue insoles
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #161
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
i rotate 3 shoes too, but lately i mostly wear my kinvaras and newton distance.
i tried some hokas last month at the store and they do feel pretty cool, the cushioning is intense.

any trail runners here?
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #162
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
bump

i was invited to group run tomorrow night but i might not make it, so i was thinking about it and hope to gun for next week

what are some things i need to watch out for? we are not running track or street (i thinks like square that leads to a opera house and museum)

there is about 30 ppl in this group run

also wondering what kinda of bags do u guys recommend for running (looking for types), as i do carry 2 phones, keys with lanyard and thick wallet (im quite use to carrying bag when i go out)

i have not ran in years and i thought this would be a great way to get in shape as well as meet new ppl (i use to run with my dad in minoru track in morrnings once a week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #163
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I dunno about other folks, but when I run, I tend not to carry anything with me except for keys, and I usually use my "running key fob" which only contains the bare min # of keys I need to make it home.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #164
SFICC-03*

do you really have to carry stuff when you run?
i just carry $20, drivers license, car key (if i drove), and thats it.

you just need enough to get through the run then back to your house or car anyway, and it's not like you're going to pick up your phone mid run. why bring it all?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #165
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i live in China now, so i mostly need my 2 phones, wallet, $100 cnd in cash (china a cash society) and my keys (4 keys)

plus im also afraid of losing things, thats why

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
i live in China now, so i mostly need my 2 phones, wallet, $100 cnd in cash (china a cash society) and my keys (4 keys)

plus im also afraid of losing things, thats why
I'd go with some kind of waist pack. Things will bounce a little, but if you keep the belt tight then it should be tolerable. Plus you could put it under your shirt if security is a concern.

I run home from work daily with a Dakine backpack and I'm quite used to it, but a pack would be overkill for what you are carrying.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #167
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Just a heads up, for those who like Brooks, or those who want to try Brooks shoes. They currently have a 90 day trial (True Blue Guarantee) promotion going on. Usual guarantee is 30 days. I believe the promo goes til Dec. 31st.
Basically, buy any new model Brooks shoes, go run in them for 90 days...and if you don't like them, you can return them for a refund. I guess they have that much faith you'll like them, but I'm sure there are those who will take advantage of the promo. This may apply to apparel as well! And I'm sure some of us can put enough mileage in within 90 days to wear out the shoe!
You can either buy through their website, Brooks Running Shoes and Apparel | Brooks Running.com, which currently has free shipping/free returns over $75 to Canada. Or visit any authorized dealer, such as Running Room, Run Inn, Rackets & Runners, etc.
FYI, Running Room had 25% off Brooks this weekend for Black Friday, you can try asking for that if you go into store. YMMV. I picked up a new pair of Adrenaline GTS 16's, looking forward to putting some mileage on them.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #168
Banned By Establishment

My preference of shoes are the Asics Gel Kayano's.
Good stability and cushioning. Good selection of different widths.
Sports chek in Metrotown had a pair of the Gel Kayano 20's on sale for $129.99. I think it was an in store special.
They have the GT 3000's on sale right now for $99.99, from $179.99
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #169

Ran this afternoon in 10 degrees and a setting sun...no toque, no gloves, BC interior. Hard to believe it's December!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #170
HELP ME PLS!!!

I'm thinking of doing the seawall around this time. Will long sleeve nylon clothes be enough to stay warm?

I'm on the fence between Asics Nimbus or Nike Vomero 10, in 2e width, but I can't find the Vomero in 2e in Canada. Anyone of a Canadian retailer that'd carry it?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #171
SFICC-03*

i quit running this yr, too much heartache in injuries.

usually if its around 5-10 degrees, i'll run in shorts, a longsleeve, and a thin toque. sometimes i'll bring a ultralight jacket to help cope with the first 15-20m.

if its about 10 or warmer, shorts and a thin longsleeve or shortsleeve is enough.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #172
HELP ME PLS!!!

stress fracture? tendinitis? Sucks to hear that dude. Hope you'll have a speedy recovery.

FYI, I found a site that carries and searches for shoes in wide (2E) size. It's also a Canadian site based out of Ontario.

Running Free Canada
Old 02-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #173

Got in my first 10k race of the season and was 1 second off my p.b. Time to get back into some speed work and crush that time in the next one.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #174
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
stress fracture? tendinitis? Sucks to hear that dude. Hope you'll have a speedy recovery.

FYI, I found a site that carries and searches for shoes in wide (2E) size. It's also a Canadian site based out of Ontario.

Running Free Canada
thanks bud, i had a stress fracture 2 years ago that put me out for 6 months.
ive just been having a tightness in my arch lately that feels uncomfortable then develops into pain after about 20m. i can sort of cope with it if i switch more to a midfoot landing instead of my usual forefoot, but at this point i'm just fed up with my foot problems. rather focus my time and energy into my other activities
Old 03-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #175
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

If you're a size 8.5, you might want to jump on this deal.

M870V3-D Mens
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote