REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Frees and Lunars are both completely different types of shoes of running. I can't run in either of them....Frees are so hard, the Lunars are comfy but they are gutless and not what i need for stability considering i am hovering around the 200lbs mark.

To the poster right above posting about the Adizeros.....they are excellent for track running, but really, i don't know how long they will last if u bring em to the streets or track. They are super light and airy though....i just use adizeros (not those exact ones) at the gym and nothing else.
I'm gonna use em like almost exclusive for the gym (treadmill), I have lunar's right now but I can feel that parts of it are dying, sorta like how your air max feels when it's about to go.
Advertisement
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Frees and Lunars are both completely different types of shoes of running. I can't run in either of them....Frees are so hard, the Lunars are comfy but they are gutless and not what i need for stability considering i am hovering around the 200lbs mark.
high body weight does not mean you need more cushioning. i used to think the same way. i'm 195 and running in a pair of gloves on my feet and my knee pain is almost completely gone.

referencing my go-to book again - studies have proven that people running in cheap shoes are LESS prone to running related injuries the runners in expensive shoes. the same holds true for people running in old shoes. again, less prone to injuries than people in new shoes.

READ THE BOOK!!

i had a pair of free 3.0 v2s that i really liked, but i returned them because the blue pads on the outsole fell off (probably shouldn't have used them to play indoor soocer ). i'm tempted to buy another pair but i'm not sure how much use i'll put them to since i'm really enjoying the barefooting thing. but for anyone not planning on changing their running style, frees and any other minimalist type shoe should be avoided.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust

Last edited by SizzleChest; 02-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Well, i don't need more cushioning...with the shave of my feet and with a little excess weighht...i need more stability.

I think thats why i am leaning towards some new Asics. Hopefully i can get them this month.....i got the half marathon at the end of this month.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #29
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I'm a runner, been doing it for at least the last 8 years. I've ran numerous races, from 5kms all the way up to Marathon distances. What I keep hearing over and over from people new to running is, 'I like Nikes, or (insert brand)'. Each person's foot is different and each shoe company makes different shoes. Some fit wider, narrower, etc. What you want to do is go get fitted properly at a running specific store. (Not Sport Chek!)
I'm currently running in a pair of Asics and a pair of New Balance 769's. The Asics were okay til they wore down. As for Adidas, they are a mainstay in my running attire. I've ran in most of the Adizero's, such as Aces, Boston, Adapt, Cushion, as well as Supernova Sequence, Response, Glides. Yes, I only use my Adizero's for short training runs or shorter races.
As for running technique, I would agree on running with a midfoot or forefoot strike. But yes, that does take practice for most people. Pose method, Chi running, Forefoot running, whatever you want to call it...make sure you build up slowly if you're just starting out!
Raybot, good luck with your half marathon! I have a half marathon this upcoming weekend, and the weekend after that!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #30

So ur running the Historic Half in Langley...?? If you are, try to hit me up.

Here is my running route for tonight::

http://yfrog.com/gycbmjnj
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Yes, 1st Half, and the Fort Langley Half.

So your training run is point to point?!? How do you get home? Or, you just take the skytrain back down Cambie? Do you actually run on Cambie Street?
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Was watching this, and I want to try Barefoot Running now, at the very least want to try out the five-fingers shoe

http://www.ted.com/talks/christopher...rn_to_run.html
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Yes, 1st Half, and the Fort Langley Half.

So your training run is point to point?!? How do you get home? Or, you just take the skytrain back down Cambie? Do you actually run on Cambie Street?
Depends what i am in the mood for...sometimes i do a huge loop but i get bored easily.
Yeah yesterday i parked at the richmond costco and i just caught the skytrain from can city ctr.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
great clip - a lot of those facts were in the book too. the one about 64 year olds being able to keep pace with 19 year olds is fascinating.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #35

Today's groupon:: $25 for a $50 credit on footwear at Forerunner, Kits and NorthVan
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

does anyone living in the richmond area around minoru wanna start a run club?

I used to hate running but getting addicting. However the lack of someone to run with makes me lazy at times haha. I run about 30 mins/ 4-5km, would like this to be everyday or every other day which ever works. Set a specific time and have ppl show up when they can.

Anyone? minoru track
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #37
UFO

The barefoot running 'movement' is certainly a very interesting one. While I think that there is some merit to its claims, we need to remember that everybody's foot mechanics, running styles, and preferences are very different. We can't all follow the example of a certain Mexican or African tribe and hope that with enough time and training, we can attain those levels. Genetics play a large role in your foot structure and mechanics, the surfaces you are running on will also largely determine your ability to run in minimalist footwear.

Runners like Raybot who know/feel like they need support, likely do. I have seen enough runners with those type of feet who have moved exclusively to a minimalist shoe (even the Nike Free's) only to injure themselves and set their training back. I like to promote the Free's and other minimalist shoes as a good training tool, to be used once or twice a week in a regular rotation with your primary running shoes. I will never recommend these shoes for exclusive use, especially if the user is not willing to learn how to properly run and use these shoes.

There is a LOT of marketing out there regarding toning shoes, minimalist shoes, etc etc so one really needs to educate themselves to the appropriateness of each type of shoe and not rely solely on what the salesguy at Sport Chek is telling/selling you. Wearing a Reebok toning shoe 8 hours a day for work will not tone your butt to make it look like those claimed in the marketting campaigns. A lot of runners, especially beginners, will underestimate the role and importance of their shoes. Think about it like any sport or activity, there is the right tool for the right job and the right user. Your runners are really the primary piece of sports equipment required for running and should be treated as such.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #38
Better safe than Surrey

Is anyone going to run the Sun run?
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post

I used to hate running but getting addicting. However the lack of someone to run with makes me lazy at times haha. I run about 30 mins/ 4-5km, would like this to be everyday or every other day which ever works. Set a specific time and have ppl show up when they can.

Anyone? minoru track
You should do the west dyke trail or the oval trail.....those are better than running around the track.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #40

Quote:
You should do the west dyke trail or the oval trail.....those are better than running around the track.
where are those? The track is 2 mins from my place. i can walk over and back haha.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #41

Garry Point Park is the start of the West Dyke Trail......Terra Nova is the start of the North Dyke trail which runs by the olympic oval.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
I know people who run with Nike Frees and they swear by them, but they probably haven't suffered any running injuries in their lives. After going through plantar fasciitis, I don't think I could run in something like the Free.

I'm running in some Saucony Ride #2s because they are the only shoe that can accommodate my orthotic. The orthotic has prevented a recurrence of plantar fasciitis, but now I have no cushioning which has made it tough on my knees.

Last edited by Tapioca; 02-14-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #43
Need to Seek Professional Help

New Balance= best running shoe brand ever!
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I know people who run with Nike Frees and they swear by them, but they probably haven't suffered any running injuries in their lives. After going through plantar fasciitis, I don't think I could run in something like the Free.

I'm running in some Saucony Ride #2s because they are the only shoe that can accommodate my orthotic. The orthotic has prevented a recurrence of plantar fasciitis, but now I have no cushioning which has made it tough on my knees.
considering that the proper way to run in frees is with minimal/no weight on the heel, i don't see why you couldn't at least try them

Quote:
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #45
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:

Anyone? minoru track
I'd be down for a Richmond run club. I signed up for the Sun Run this year, never done it before. I find I usually just run near my house, on the Shell road trail from Shell & Williams to Westminister highway or on top of that sewer pipe in Iona beach.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #46

I need to do a 10km before sunday. Anyone wanna hit?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #47
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Free's have been shown in some studies to actually help in the recovery of plantar fasciitis, as long as they are used in the appropriate conditions in the right context. If you are a moderate to severe overpronator, I would not recommend running in the Free's. Using them as a training tool to strengthen the intrinsic muscles of the foot, yes of course but only in moderation. There isn't really anything preventing anyone from trying them, as long as the proper protocol is followed and they are ok with paying $120 for a shoe that should be used maybe 20% of the time.

There are a lot of great neutral shoes that provide tons of cushioning above and beyond your current Ride. If you like the Saucony fit, the Triumph is a higher end shoe that will theoretically provide more cushioning. Shoes like the Asics Cumulus or Nimbus are traditional favourites in the neutral category. Using an orthotic usually means you have removed the original insole that came with the shoe, which decreases a small amount of the overall cushioning, but the majority of the functional cushioning within the shoe is actually in the midsole. Orthotics can come with a cushioned top cover as well, so if yours are hard/firm there are certainly options to help regain some of the comfort of the shoe's original insole.

I don't usually like to refer to specific brands of shoes when I'm asked about a 'good running shoe', simply because every company will make a range of shoes to fit in different price ranges. It's not reasonable to expect a $50 New Balance running shoe to perform as well as a $150 Mizuno running shoe. However the performance gap between a $150 shoe and a $250 shoe is actually quite slim IMO.

dhari New Balance= best running shoe brand ever!
New Balance have hundreds of different shoes in their lineup, and I would certainly say a good number of those are actually quite poor. Same can be said of other brands though. One thing New Balance has over others--most of their shoes are available in multiple widths so you can get the proper fit both length AND width wise more often than not.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I'd be down for a Richmond run club. I signed up for the Sun Run this year, never done it before. I find I usually just run near my house, on the Shell road trail from Shell & Williams to Westminister highway or on top of that sewer pipe in Iona beach.
where abouts do u live? im at granville/st.albans. lets start a run club, get motivated. lol

r u close to the minoru track to make it out there?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #49

Quote:
where abouts do u live? im at granville/st.albans. lets start a run club, get motivated. lol

r u close to the minoru track to make it out there?

Well I'll be busy this weekend with a big run...

BMO is only 2 months away!!! So much better than doing the sun run. Such an awesome environment.,
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Well I'll be busy this weekend with a big run...

BMO is only 2 months away!!! So much better than doing the sun run. Such an awesome environment.,
how big of a run? i dont think i can do a 10k yet lol. never attempted.