REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Was I discriminated against?

Hello, I've been lurking around this site these last 2 weeks and thought I had to make an account and join this community tonight specially to talk about what happened to me.

Cliff notes at the bottom
About an hour ago I stepped into Benz coffee on Robson with a handful of 20's in my hand that I had just received from my friend.
I needed change for a 20 so I approached the cashier and asked if I can get a 5 out of the 20... she took the money and looked a little confused, so I said maybe a 10 and two 5's... then I proceeded to count the cash in my hand to make sure I was given the right amount from my friend.

Soon after the cashier girl said something in the lines of, we cant do that.

I thought okay... got my money back and stepped out. Then my Filipino friend found this ridiculous and took the 20 to the cashier again while I stood outside.
I could see that he was arguing with the Caucasian cashier and the Asian co-workers/manager?
After a short while he came back with the change and told me the girl thought the money was fake and he had explained that he just drew the cash from the ATM next door and had a receipt ect, ect...

Later it dawned on me that I was discriminated against because firstly the 20 was an old one, it was obviously real and I had a handful of them anyway... but because of my immigrant appearance (Im Iranian with a beard) and because immigrants with a wad of money in their hand should be perceived as criminals... I was denied.

I could have very well wanted to buy a coffee or treat and not just wanted change... its just that I know If I was a white blond or Asian student, this would have never happened.

I was discriminated against right? Not that I want an excuse to sue or anything, I just want to tell people that even to this day, stereo types and racism exist.

thanks for reading my rant.

Cliff notes
had big wad of money in my hand
I look like what television propagandizes as a terrorist
I was denied change for my 20, although I could have been a customer
my friend argues with them, gets the change, and tells me they thought it was fake
my 20 dollars was obviously real due to its age and feel.
Advertisement
TheHighImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
!oHenry, - kT, -EuroRSN-, 1exotic, 604nguyen, achiam, adambomb, Aetios, Anjew, BaoTurbo, Bender Unit, bensta, BinsentoW, Bonjour43MA, BoredAtWork, CharlieH, cheapskate, cho, CKLCKL, classified, corollagtSr5, daica-viet, darkfroggy, DC5-S, Derek_N84, dub.g, El Bastardo, Euro7r, eurochevy, FerrariEnzo, Fi2e, fliptuner, gars, gdoh, GLOW, Groot, Gtrr33, guddagudd, hal0g0dv2, Harvey Specter, hk20000, HockeyAddict, Hot Karl, ilvtofu, impulseX, Inaii, invader, jackal, jaguar604, jasonturbo, Jassanova, jeff19, Jermyzy, JKam, king_2011, Limitless, Liquid_o2, lowside67, MelonBoy, metal, midnight_r, mikemhg, monkeywrench, Mr.HappySilp, murd0c, n0ob, nack, Nechako87, nsmb, observer, parm104, pawdregry4g, PDKGD3, Preemo, Presto, Psykopathik, R&R, RC0310_EJ, RCubed, ree666, RiceFarmer, rslater, SB7, scottsman, SeedBNR, skiiipi, SkinnyPupp, Slifer, snowball, SoulCrusher, Soundy, spoon.ek9, stewie, StylinRed, SupraTTturbo2jz, Sw0op, Teh Doucher, Teriyaki, TheKingdom2000, TouringTeg, TRDood, truth, Vansterdam, vitaminG, Volvo-brickster, wingies, Wongtouski, xilley, XxFcukxX, yellowpower, _TiDy_
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i'd say no. your buddy explained the situation and they resolved it on your behalf. end of story.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
No.

A lot of places are sketchy about taking old bills, and a lot don't even do change unless you buy something from them. Playing the race card is irrelevant.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
You want change buy something, you were not discriminated against. a lots of places employees cannot open the till until you buy something.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
so you're new to the country?

no offense to you but you're far from a minority (in terms of the lower mainland)

what you may not know (since you're new here) we have a major problem with counterfeit currency and $20s especially the old ones are one of the, if not the #1, counterfeited bill

so if you went in and asked for change and didn't even buy anything that's like really suspicious for them

so if the cashier felt it was fake they're in every right to say 'no'

I know it must be difficult being new here and having all the stereotypes in the media from down South in your face

but you shouldn't have to be too worried about it happening... Im not saying it doesn't happen but it just doesn't sound like it in this case

however there isn't much info to garner from your story other than being denied
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Life is unfair...complain on RS.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighImperial View Post
I was discriminated against right?
So let me get this straight, a middle eastern person, with wads of cash, presumably dressed properly, who mentioned more than once that he's got a pile of 20's (and counting them), who also calls himself "TheHighImperial". And you think she's discriminating you because you exude the image of poverty and dishonesty?

You know that they don't have to give you change if they don't want to right? Especially when you don't buy jack shitfrom them.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I tell people to fuck off when they ask me for change all the time, it doesn't matter what color your skin is. You want change? Go to a fucking bank or buy something.

_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

deal with it bitch.
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

First of all....you said ''Can I get a 5 out of this 20''?

WTF does that even mean? I am with her, I would be pretty confused too.

Why did you need change anyhow? Do you think every store is your personal bank? If you have such a big wad of 20's buy a fuckin coffee or a water like everyone else does. You know those service fees ATMs charge? think of it the same way. Its common sense.

White blond people and Asian students are regularly turned down in the exact same situation.

If you're not a troll; you're an idiot. People like you perpetuate the racial problems in our society by attributing every slight in their lives to them.

Grow up.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
you should burn the mother fucker down

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,282 Times in 1,635 Posts
i didn't even have to read the thread to know this was a fail post hahah
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

The till was opened and Im pretty sure Blenz coffee doesnt have a no change policy.

The bill wasnt 5-10 years old but it had been naturally used for so long that you cant deny it could have been fake

Im not new here, infact my grade 2 elementary class was in downtown when I first immigrated.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Immigrants with a wad of money in their hand seems the norm to me. In BC, I don't think I've met many poor new immigrant (especially middle eastern). They're more likely to be ballin' out of control.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

shoulve bombed the place
Ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighImperial View Post
The till was opened and Im pretty sure Blenz coffee doesnt have a no change policy.

The bill wasnt 5-10 years old but it had been naturally used for so long that you cant deny it could have been fake

Im not new here, infact my grade 2 elementary class was in downtown when I first immigrated.
Then you're here LONG ENOUGH to realise that this is not Mississippi and you need to calm the fuck down.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #17
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
oh u've been here since grade 2.... what the fuck.... i removed my fail cuz i felt bad that u were new here :P
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

You dont have to be black to be a victim of discrimination.
Also black people can be racist too.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
I'm with the dudes at Benz, as I tend to discriminate against mouth-breathing, self-entitled asswipes, too.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

i was once chased by security and stopped by a manager because the manager thought i was shop lifting. i didnt even buy anything, am nowherr near a criminal and no alarm or anythinf even went off. people are just fucking morons and so long as you look different, are wearing grubby clothif at the time, are tattood or display any other number of possible factors i could list that make you "sketch" this will keep happening. so just stand up for yourself and dont let it get to you mang
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
so you preparing the c4 vest right now or what?

Last edited by Fafine; 02-16-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

They sell Corvette vests? where

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I'm with the dudes at Benz, as I tend to discriminate against mouth-breathing, self-entitled asswipes, too.
please further elaborate on how I am this.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,952 Times in 585 Posts
You got denied because of your self righteous attitude.
Look, you even made a thread about it here on RS.

Idiot.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

dumbest shit ive ever read.. go back to iran where im sure theres no discrimination..
Integgyy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #25
ky

I hate it when people are over sensitive to this type of thing and pull the race card.
ky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: