REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #51
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,652 Posts
someone said this in a critical mass thread in the past:

maybe we should start driving in bicycle lanes once a month to prove our point?

hell, maybe cyclists should pay for insurance and be held accountable for causing accidents and purposely damaging vehicles (rather than getting away with it like they do now). a lot of us aren't against the point they're trying to prove; we're against the way they are trying to prove it by provoking motorists and choosing the absolute worst time of day to do it. blocking roads during rush hour only pisses people off and will eventually incite violence.
Advertisement
Spoiler!

Last edited by spoon.ek9; 02-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #52
Need to Seek Professional Help

This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #53
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I ran out of "Thanks" to give in this thread before the end of page 1
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #54
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
So many delightful comments, this reinforces the thought that the western world makes for an atmosphere where people choose money over there personal integrity.
WTF are you talking about? Is this your way of sounding like some pseudo-intellect dissecting problems in the western world?

I bet you're totally jacking off at your own brilliance.
stylez2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #55
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Apparently 1 is still in serious condition while the others were released from hospital. The driver and the lawyer are going to say that the accelerator was stuck and couldn't stop. The driver is being brought up on multiple attempted murder charges.

I don't condone the actions of either the driver or the people that participated in the critical mass. There are stupid drivers, cyclists and pedestrians in town. We've all seen them. I've been walking on the sidewalk in Vancouver and have a car drive up half on the sidewalk at 30+ km/hr, seen pedestrians walk right into the middle of traffic and had cyclist nearly run me over trying to run a red light.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #56

LOL reminded me of this!!

This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #57
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
So many delightful comments, this reinforces the thought that the western world makes for an atmosphere where people choose money over there personal integrity.

I have witnessed this but it was the police that held up everyone and not let motorist follow the bikers for over 30 minutes.
Third time asked, what the fuck are you talking about? What does money have to do with this?

Stop huffing the glue from your papier mache mix.

I don't condone the action of the driver, but those Critical Mass riders got what was eventually coming to them. If they wanted to make a statement, they would ride WITH the rules of the road, not jam them. That way, they send a message that cycling is a great way to commute instead of cars since they'd be demonstrating how cyclist-friendly the roads are, rather than saying "Hey, look at us! You can be an asshole and have disregard for the rules of the road like us!".
Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #58
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
What do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez2k4 View Post
WTF are you talking about? Is this your way of sounding like some pseudo-intellect dissecting problems in the western world?

I bet you're totally jacking off at your own brilliance.
I'd rather jerkoff then sit here and write a thesis about it, like anyone here is going to change their ways.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #59

Quote:
I'd rather jerkoff then sit here and write a thesis about it, like anyone here is going to change their ways.
Before you write a thesis, make sure you can differentiate between "than" and "then" first.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #60

Quote:
Just admit you have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #61
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
There is a difference between just commuting to work on a bike and purposely forming a group to slow down traffic in order to make a point.
do you not think the punishment should fit the crime? Especially since CM's actions aren't physically harming anyone.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #62
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez2k4 View Post
Just admit you have no clue what you are talking about.
I honestly do NOT know where he gets the connection between money and cycling for commutes. There's like no possible inferences that can be made there.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #63
xxx

^
maybe he's saying people strongly believe that time is money and therefore being held up for 10 minutes by CM is unacceptable to them, and any actions to remove the impediment is justifiable to them as long as it succeeds in doing so.

lol iono that's the only connection I can see with regards to money
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #64
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I'll be honest. I've thought about being a cyclist before--but the thought of sharing the road with cars scares the fuck out of me, and the idea of being an asshole and riding on the sidewalk doesn't appeal to me at all.

Sure, it's good to get the word out that bicyclists are out there, but COMPLETELY DISRUPTING TRAFFIC for hours to pass on the message "we're traffic too" is idiotic. You want to make a difference? Try joining critical manners instead. Never heard of it? That's 'cause nobody gets pissed off at them.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #65
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

0:53

The guy in the orange shirt managed to dodge the car, while the chicks in front of her didn't even check what's behind them.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #66
I STILL don't get it

I'm sure most people are going to think I'm a heartless asshole and fail me, but I'm not only glad about what this guy did, I'm disappointed he wasn't driving something wider and bigger like a H1 so he could've hit more of these assholes.

I have no problem with the message of protecting the environment, promoting sustainability, and the like, but Critical Mass is the most moronic way of doing it.
Instead of blocking traffic during the hours with heaviest traffic, causing massive backups and thus INCREASING pollution from the massive increase in idling vehicles; how about just using the bike lanes we've spent millions to institute on a regular basis? Prove to us car drivers of the city, that these bike lanes are actually put to use.
I drive through downtown at all hours of the day, and if I could have a nickel for every cyclist I've seen use the bike lanes, I'd wouldn't even be able to afford a double cheeseburger at McDonalds.

And if you want to make the point that Cyclists are just as much as a part of road traffic as cars through Critical Mass, well all I can say is; if you can follow all the rules of the road that cars have to, and you can go the speed limit as to not slow down how our road infrastructure is designed, then welcome, if not, gtfo.

Protests are a right that comes from living in a free and democratic society; but the second your protest begins to affect people who have nothing to do with it, then you are infringing on THEIR rights, and thus your right to protest is void.
Do I think being a pain and douche justifies being seriously hurt or even killed via being runned over by a car? No. But these self-entitled, pompous assholes won't learn that even though they feel they have rights that are being attacked, other people have rights that THEY are attacking, unless something drastic happens to them.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #67
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

Sure, it's good to get the word out that bicyclists are out there, but COMPLETELY DISRUPTING TRAFFIC for hours to pass on the message "we're traffic too" is idiotic. You want to make a difference? Try joining critical manners instead. Never heard of it? That's 'cause nobody gets pissed off at them.
QFT. VERY well said!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #68
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I liked it better when Arash was banned

Berz out.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #69
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
I'm sure most people are going to think I'm a heartless asshole and fail me, but I'm not only glad about what this guy did, I'm disappointed he wasn't driving something wider and bigger like a H1 so he could've hit more of these assholes.

I have no problem with the message of protecting the environment, promoting sustainability, and the like, but Critical Mass is the most moronic way of doing it.
Instead of blocking traffic during the hours with heaviest traffic, causing massive backups and thus INCREASING pollution from the massive increase in idling vehicles; how about just using the bike lanes we've spent millions to institute on a regular basis? Prove to us car drivers of the city, that these bike lanes are actually put to use.
I drive through downtown at all hours of the day, and if I could have a nickel for every cyclist I've seen use the bike lanes, I'd wouldn't even be able to afford a double cheeseburger at McDonalds.

And if you want to make the point that Cyclists are just as much as a part of road traffic as cars through Critical Mass, well all I can say is; if you can follow all the rules of the road that cars have to, and you can go the speed limit as to not slow down how our road infrastructure is designed, then welcome, if not, gtfo.

Protests are a right that comes from living in a free and democratic society; but the second your protest begins to affect people who have nothing to do with it, then you are infringing on THEIR rights, and thus your right to protest is void.
Do I think being a pain and douche justifies being seriously hurt or even killed via being runned over by a car? No. But these self-entitled, pompous assholes won't learn that even though they feel they have rights that are being attacked, other people have rights that THEY are attacking, unless something drastic happens to them.
Just because they're assholes doesn't give someone the right to mow them down.

Arrest their asses, sure, but to mow them down like that and seeing everyone go 'fuck yea!' really disturbs me.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #70
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Good.
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #71
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Just because they're assholes doesn't give someone the right to mow them down.

Arrest their asses, sure, but to mow them down like that and seeing everyone go 'fuck yea!' really disturbs me.
They know they won't get arrested and even if they do it'll be a slap on the wrist at best, they won't answer to reason since they're so deep in their twisted reality that what they're doing is right; that's why they keep doing what they do.
As I said, not that I think it's right, but its what needs to happen to shock these assholes back to reality. Call me a cynic, but these days, people never seem to realize what they're doing unless something tragic happens. Current generation is ridiculously self-entitled.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #72
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,589 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
They know they won't get arrested and even if they do it'll be a slap on the wrist at best, they won't answer to reason since they're so deep in their twisted reality that what they're doing is right; that's why they keep doing what they do.
As I said, not that I think it's right, but its what needs to happen to shock these assholes back to reality. Call me a cynic, but these days, people never seem to realize what they're doing unless something tragic happens. Current generation is ridiculously self-entitled.
The point is like it or not they still have the right of free speech even if it fucks your day up for a couple hours. Ya I can't fucken stand those idiots as well but it's better then having some Communist dictator telling us what we can or can't do.

Like it or not we all have right and it's better to express it in a harmless matter such as riding your bikes in the middle of the road rather then creating acts of local terrorism like what happened with those fucken DTES clowns during the Olympics last year. Those are the people who should be run over not men, women children with animals which happened in Brazil.

My grandfather fought for our freedom of speech and even tho I don't like the way certain people deal with things I'm very thankful him and millions of others gave there lives to provide us with these options we have today.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #73
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

WOOOOOOO!!!
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO!!!

you! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
The point is like it or not they still have the right of free speech even if it fucks your day up for a couple hours. Ya I can't fucken stand those idiots as well but it's better then having some Communist dictator telling us what we can or can't do.

Like it or not we all have right and it's better to express it in a harmless matter such as riding your bikes in the middle of the road rather then creating acts of local terrorism like what happened with those fucken DTES clowns during the Olympics last year. Those are the people who should be run over not men, women children with animals which happened in Brazil.

My grandfather fought for our freedom of speech and even tho I don't like the way certain people deal with things I'm very thankful him and millions of others gave there lives to provide us with these options we have today.
You think in dichotomy and that is very wrong.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #75
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Its funny how all of us talk about the things we want to do to these clowns and this guy goes ahead with it.

also:

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote