REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #176
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax2-Y View Post
nations cup is by far the best amateur soccer tournament of the summer. i suggest people who live in richmond go check it out! the beer garden is top notch as well
There were some good games today. Were you out there?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #177
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Out what? $20?
Posted via RS Mobile
More than that and it's still money
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #178
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
whitecaps got pwnd

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #179
Fanboy

Indeed they did, i was at the game.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #180
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
tips for next season: upgrade defense, sign a marquee midfielder who can provide some offense, hire a real coach
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #181
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
There were some good games today. Were you out there?
Posted via RS Mobile
I only had the chance to see the friday night games but i heard it was another unreal weekend. I usually play for the China open team but i blew my MCL in november.. slowly getting back into things now.

As for the whitecaps, they totally dominated the first 65 minutes of that game. It seemed like they stopped playing after they hit the post though. They are really missing Demerit on the back line
Ax2-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #182
Fanboy

I think the Jarju signing was a bust. He sucks.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #183
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
It's really too bad that the Whitecaps season has gone down the tubes. There are some very good pieces on the team, but no system in place to take advantage of their talents. I look at a guy like Chiumiento and I wonder why he isn't playing Division 2 in Europe? Heck, even Camilo could crack a second or third tier league in Europe.

It's really too bad that they fired Teitur Thordarson too. His tactics might not have been appropriate for MLS, but he seemed like a really likable guy and he probably had the respect of the players. He only had a 1-year deal anyway, so they should have just hired a new coach in the summer if they wanted a change in systems.

Last edited by Tapioca; 07-31-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #184
Big Drama Show

What would the MLS playing level be equivalent to in places like Europe or SA?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
What would the MLS playing level be equivalent to in places like Europe or SA?
I don't claim to be a world football expert or anything, but I imagine that MLS is equivalent to Tier 3 in Europe.

Since I've started watching the 'Caps, I've watched some EPL highlights and a few Champions League games. The passing and skill in those leagues is head and shoulders above MLS. Some of the EPL teams have been playing their pre-season games against teams in the MLS and the results speak for themselves. For example, the MLS all-stars got owned 4-0 against Man U and the Sounders got trounced 7-0 by the same club. And of course, Man U isn't even the best team in Europe and many argue that the Premier League is a step below the other European leagues.

Of course, we get to see the odd flashes of brilliance in MLS like Hassli's goal against Seattle.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #186
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Man U was runner up in champs league this Yr. So they're not the best in Europe but u make it sound like theyre not even close to being up there.
Posted via RS Mobile
forsberg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #187
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I don't claim to be a world football expert or anything, but I imagine that MLS is equivalent to Tier 3 in Europe.

Since I've started watching the 'Caps, I've watched some EPL highlights and a few Champions League games. The passing and skill in those leagues is head and shoulders above MLS. Some of the EPL teams have been playing their pre-season games against teams in the MLS and the results speak for themselves. For example, the MLS all-stars got owned 4-0 against Man U and the Sounders got trounced 7-0 by the same club. And of course, Man U isn't even the best team in Europe and many argue that the Premier League is a step below the other European leagues.

Of course, we get to see the odd flashes of brilliance in MLS like Hassli's goal against Seattle.
so MLS is pretty much equivalent to division 1 football in the UK?

Seems like other countries in the world take MLS soccer as serious as we do British hockey
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #188
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Whitecaps Groupon Deal

$65 for Two Tickets to Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Real Salt Lake on Oct. 6, Plus Two T-Shirts, at BC Place

Vancouver Deals & Packages: Things to Do in Vancouver | Groupon Deals

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #189
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
GREAT GAME TODAY!!!! GO WHITECAPS!!!
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #190
HELP ME PLS!!!

went to my first whitecaps game FINALLY.

LOVED IT.

I wish my work schedule didn't always fall on gameday =(

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 AM   #191
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #192

^ We love you Long Tan!

Chiumiento was left off the roster today. Unless he's under contract next year, I'm guessing he won't be back next year.

It's a pleasant surprise that the addition of Mitchell has changed the look of the team. Rochat is playing his proper position and Harvey actually looks decent as an attacking winger. DeMerit hasn't made a mistake in 2 games. It's too bad that the season is ending as things are finally looking up for the 'Caps.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #193
GO FLAMES GO

I'm looking forward to next season...my dad has season tix and I usually score half of the games, but I think I might pick up my own 2 seats next year
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #194

I have watched games at both stadiums and while BC Place is nice, a bit of atmosphere has been lost with the move. I've heard rumours that the Southsiders have been a bit polarizing and if that's true it's a shame because the crowd needs to be louder in the stadium.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #195
GO FLAMES GO

Whitecaps unveil South Korean defender Young-Pyo Lee

WHITECAPS UNVEIL SOUTH KOREAN DEFENDER YOUNG-PYO LEE

Quote:
VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Whitecaps won the bidding war for Young-Pyo Lee without really trying.

The former World Cup star from South Korea said Wednesday he chose lifestyle over money when he decided to sign with the Major League Soccer club.

"The most important decision is my life and the future," said Lee when discussing his move to the MLS during an introductory news conference at B.C. Place Stadium.

Reports indicate the 34-year-old rejected richer offers to sign with the Whitecaps, who are looking to improve on a last-place finish in its inaugural campaign in North America's top league.

Lee joins Vancouver after two seasons with a club in Saudi Arabia.

"The club that he was on in Saudi wanted him to stay there," Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said. "I can tell you that it was at a very significant amount of money. He's made a life decision at this point to move here."

Lee has represented his homeland in three World Cups (2002, 2006 and 2010) and his 127 international caps also include appearances in three Asian Cup tournaments.

Lee also starred with famed Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, England's Tottenham Hotspur, Germany's Borussia Dortmund and FC Seoul, which he guided to K-League and Korean Super Cup championships. In the past two seasons, he helped Al-Hilal capture two consecutive Saudi Professional League and Saudi Crown Prince titles and also made two appearances for the Riyadh-based squad in the Asian Football Confederation Champions League.

Lee said he fell in love with Vancouver's ocean and mountains and wanted to experience a new city and culture while helping his two daughters learn English. Vancouver's large Asian population was not a determining factor in his decision but the community appealed to him.

"He had plenty of options and we're fortunate that we live in Vancouver, and Vancouver is one of the most livable cities in the world," Lenarduzzi said. "We're probably benefiting a lot from things that don't necessarily relate to football. But he's aware of the club. He's aware that we're in MLS. Those things combined have resulted in what we think is going to be the perfect marriage."

Wednesday's news conference attracted a large contingent of reporters from Asian media outlets, including China's national Xin Hua news agency. Lenarduzzi said the strong Asian interest is an added bonus, but was not a determining factor in the team's decision to sign Lee.

Although Lee has stopped competing internationally for South Korea, Vancouver's management group is convinced that he can still play at a high level.

"He's offered the playing side, the leadership side, the mentoring side and there's no doubt in my mind that he has considerable time in him in terms of what he can offer on the field," Lenarduzzi said.

Vancouver coach Martin Rennie added that Lee is an important addition to a defence that ranked among the worst in the league last season.

Lee's decision to sign with the Whitecaps for less money than elsewhere also proved that he wants to play on the West Coast for the "right reasons," Rennie added.

"It also sends a message to the other players that he's a guy who's done everything in the game and he's here because he wants to learn -- because he wants to succeed," Rennie said. "He's not here for a pay day. He's here for other reasons. That has to inspire players to do the best they can as well."

The Whitecaps are looking to Lee to fill a hole at the right fullback spot. Wes Knight, Jeb Brovsky and Jonathan Leathers shared most of the playing time there last season, but all are gone from the Whitecaps. With Alain Rochat well established at left fullback, Lee will switch from his usual left side to shore up the right side.

Rennie said he still wants the club to get better everywhere on the pitch but it is unlikely to make moves at forward after Brazilian striker Camilo and French counterpart Eric Hassli ranked among the league's scoring leaders. MLS veteran Atiba Harris is also slated to return now that he has recovered from a knee injury that kept him out most of the season.

"We're not looking to lose players," Rennie said. "We're looking to add more good players."

Notes: Whitecaps CEO Paul Barber, a former Tottenham executive, knew Lee from his days with the Spurs.
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #196
I bringith the lowerballerith

^^ been a 'hot issue' amongst vancouver koreans lately.
expect whitecaps games to be invaded by koreans wearing whitecaps jerseys lol
he already held a fan-autograph session.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #197
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
brb drinking soju with YOUNG-PYO LEE @ base
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #198
Need my Daily Fix of RS

lee young-pyo at the lougheed h-mart

Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #199
Need my Daily Fix of RS

chinese striker long tan signed an extension with whitecaps
and talked about his life in whitecaps:

Tan Long: My first season in the MLS : Wild East Football
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #200
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Season opener this Saturday!

Darren Mattocks was the whitecaps 2nd overall pick, who was suppose to go 1st overall in the draft. Any info on this guy who he is?

Whitecaps FC select Darren Mattocks in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft | Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote