REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post
If communism is so great, why are so many people moving here from China?
His point is not saying Communism is great

He is saying this is what you have to put up with in a Capitalist society where people with money is the people with control
Advertisement
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #77
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
A lot of jealous eyes here towards the chinese. If you love this city so much you can rent for the rest of your life or move to vegas where you can buy a house for 50k USD.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #78
Need to Seek Professional Help

Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #79
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
How is it racism? People would be complaining the exact same way if it were Russians, Indians or Japanese doing this.

It comes down to people who grew up here all their lives, paying into the tax system, who can't afford to buy a condo 30 minutes outside of Vancouver because the prices are driven up by speculators who contribute barely anything to Vancouver.

I'm all for immigration, if done in a proper way. My parents immigrated from Europe in the late 70's, took English classes, established roots in the community, they worked their asses off for their kids to be raised in Canada.

That's how most immigrant families were in the 70's and 80's... whether they were white or asian or black or whatever. So don't even try pulling the race card.
That might be how your parents did it, but it certainly isn't the only way or required way. The world changes, deal with it. Go read a book on globalization.

And I think before you open your mouth about immigration, educate yourself on Canada's policies. The government recently required that individuals applying through investor class now need to invest 800k (from 400k) into our economy and have a net worth of at least 1.6million. That's a much bigger contribution than most people will pay in taxes in a lifetime.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What the hell are you talking about.
1. You have to PAY tax to get a tax refund.
2. If you buy a million $ plus house why would you get low income family support.
3. If they they are renting out these houses and not living here why would the use various community programs?
4. IF they are living here they pay tax.
5. If they are not living here they still pay property tax. In fact they are paying ore property tax than someone living in there own house.
6. There is a rental shortage in Vancouver. Having people buy and rent houses helps alleviate that.

http://www.vancouverreflections.com/...hortage-acute/
lol manic, don't bother with that guy. I've noticed that most of the replies he posts on revscene, don't make any god damn sense. My brain hurts.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #81
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What the hell are you talking about.
1. You have to PAY tax to get a tax refund.
2. If you buy a million $ plus house why would you get low income family support.
3. If they they are renting out these houses and not living here why would the use various community programs?
4. IF they are living here they pay tax.
5. If they are not living here they still pay property tax. In fact they are paying ore property tax than someone living in there own house.
6. There is a rental shortage in Vancouver. Having people buy and rent houses helps alleviate that.

http://www.vancouverreflections.com/...hortage-acute/
What about those that bought their wife those millions dollars of houses move back to china for their business leave their wife and kids here and claim no income thus using OUR Child support program for free? O since the wife doesn't work and is consider low income when she file her tax I bet she and her kids get free health care. Now with the HST they might not get a refund but when we were on the old GST/PST everyone gets some sort of tax refund from the gov.

O wait that never happen ever. lol LIVING HERE any paying tax. How much people actually spend their money here when they go back to their home country 3 to 4 times a year, stock up on clothing, brand name items that cost 33% less. Maybe they do pay taxes of food and basic stuff but you ain't digging their wallets.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #82
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Actually it seems a lot harder to immigrate to Canada the past few years. You have to pretty good assets or skills to get in compared to the 90's
not really, friend from japan got a pr.thru the company she worked for. they sponsored her. she was a waitress at a golf club!!. this is 1-2 years back. many people who want immig. just buy into bushinesses here & get immigration thru that.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #83

Quote:
When my great grandparents immigrated it was hard as hell to get into Canada. They had so much family turned down, and then the only options they had were to find land in the prairies. Not even the good parts, in the shitty northern parts of Saskatchewan.

My father had a hassle back in the day, he immigrated pre-Trudeau era when a person had to be able to contribute something to Canada to become a part of it.

Nowadays I have no idea how it works.
What's stopping you from finding out? I don't think immigration policy is marked top secret.

Quote:
Do they just throw pamphlets into the air in Beijing and Mumbai full of airline tickets and permanent resident cards for Canada?
You can probably do better than this. I mean, you did follow with a rant on this very topic. What does that say about your rant?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #84
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
If communism is so great, why are so many people moving here from China?
Your argument is very flawed. That would be like saying "if capitalism is so great, why are you complaining of people from China buying houses in a free market".
Posted via RS Mobile
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #85
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What about those that bought their wife those millions dollars of houses move back to china for their business leave their wife and kids here and claim no income thus using OUR Child support program for free? O since the wife doesn't work and is consider low income when she file her tax I bet she and her kids get free health care. Now with the HST they might not get a refund but when we were on the old GST/PST everyone gets some sort of tax refund from the gov.

O wait that never happen ever. lol LIVING HERE any paying tax. How much people actually spend their money here when they go back to their home country 3 to 4 times a year, stock up on clothing, brand name items that cost 33% less. Maybe they do pay taxes of food and basic stuff but you ain't digging their wallets.
What about property tax?
and don't tell me Canadians don't go to the states to shop.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #86

Let's all fight back and start buying into China's real estate market
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #87
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
not really, friend from japan got a pr.thru the company she worked for. they sponsored her. she was a waitress at a golf club!!. this is 1-2 years back. many people who want immig. just buy into bushinesses here & get immigration thru that.
I guess I was referring to the investor class that bing clarified

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
The government recently required that individuals applying through investor class now need to invest 800k (from 400k) into our economy and have a net worth of at least 1.6million. That's a much bigger contribution than most people will pay in taxes in a lifetime.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #88
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I'm already quite certain I won't be able to buy a house when these dicks are coming here and buying up everything to invest their corrupted money they have.

These mainland people aren't even good for our economy. They don't work here like each and everyone one of us that contribute to the economy.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #89
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
This is driving people nuts.
imagine 0.1% of the mainland chinese move to Vancouver, it will wipe us out.

There's almost little to almost nothing we can do anything about it. It is a free market, you can't ban people from buying houses.
Yes you can, do what Australia does and put restrictions on Foreign Investment in Residential Properties.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #90
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
Yes you can, do what Australia does and put restrictions on Foreign Investment in Residential Properties.
Yes, and while you're at it censor the internet and ban small tittes too.
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #91
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...546998222.html

Nov. 2010 - Wall Street Journal

Quote:
SHANGHAI—China announced new limits on the ability of foreigners to buy residential or commercial property on the mainland, in its latest effort to curb the inflows of speculative money into its economy and ease inflationary pressure.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #92
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
Or use the Singapore real estate model, where residents and citizens get first-hand on residential real estate for a period before international investors can.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #93
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^I'm pretty sure countries such as Germany have a similar law in effect since forever. Basically, the locales gets first dibs for the first couple of months before it can be bought by foreign ppl.. I'm sure there's plenty of 'lupolls' though..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #94
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
They do. Friend's mom gets about $80. He finds it funny as hell cause they own a Bently CGT, Gallardo, Cayenne Turbo and a S600.
VK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #95

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
you know the system is fucked up when locals who live and work here and pay the most taxes can't afford to buy a house here

the way i see it, there's really only a few choices right now for us locals: either make more money, rent for the rest of your life, or live farther from the vancouver core
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #96
I STILL don't get it

I'm not going to touch the "they don't speak english" thing, because that pisses me off too.

But to everyone complaining that it's bullshit that you grew up in Vancouver yet can't afford to continue living here due to these "damn mainlanders".

What gives you the right?
How the hell did you become so self-entitled.
Every hear of survival of the fittest?
Regardless of whether or not there are mainlanders, smarter people or people earning more money will ALWAYS have nicer things than people that earn less. Is this fair? Not necessarily, we're all human. But that's life. Sometimes it's a lot more about luck than it is about hard work, but the fact of life is that some will be better off than others.
As population increases, naturally, there will be more successful people, thus pushing up the prices and attainability of said "nice" things.
Just because you have fallen out of the top percentage of the population that can afford to live in first rate City, DOES NOT give you the right to bitch about the people who have taken your place.

Should I gift you a condo in Coal Harbour on your 18th birthday because you went through the arduous, death-defying challenge of fucking growing up here?

The mere fact we were born in Canada is about as lucky as someone managing to make themselves a small fortune in China.
Why the fuck are you hating on people who most likely grew up in conditions 1000x worse than the shittiest hole in Vancouver, and yet managed to make something of themselves.
Do they not deserve to upgrade?
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #97
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
^I'm pretty sure countries such as Germany have a similar law in effect since forever. Basically, the locales gets first dibs for the first couple of months before it can be bought by foreign ppl.. I'm sure there's plenty of 'lupolls' though..
Lupolls?? that's a whole lotta fail right there. I have been online for a lonnnng time, and I am still in shock. Please tell me it was some inside joke or obscure reference. Not usually the spelling police, but cmon...

That said...

The demographics of this website put most of us in the 20-30yr old category. Which makes us prospective first time buyers who dream of one day owning a nice place in West Van ourselves. Naturally, we are upset by these happenings.

But if you think for one second the 50 year old empty-nesters who worked hard their whole lives are going to refuse an extra 300 thousand in the retirement fund in an effort to preserve the continuity of the community, when in fact, they plan on fleeing to Arizona before the ink dries on the contracts anyhow; you have another thing coming.

As mentioned, it has been dealt with in other countries with marginal success by placing restriction on foreign land investment.

The ultimate problem is, there are a lot of current home owners who would like nothing more than to expand their customer pool if it means making more money on their home sale.

So virtually everyone with a voice in this province has something to gain by letting other markets into ours. All the unemployed university students with no assets are upset, naturally. I am sure you can see the problem however.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I'm already quite certain I won't be able to buy a house when these dicks are coming here and buying up everything to invest their corrupted money they have.

These mainland people aren't even good for our economy. They don't work here like each and everyone one of us that contribute to the economy.
From what I recall, the government also wants proof that the money was earned legitimately. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Btw, you sound like a smart guy, I think you would have a promising career as an economist working for the government. Because clearly, you know something they don't.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D