REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_cutie View Post
I never knew RS harboured so much racists thoughts. Almost sounds like a white power group.
How is it racism? People would be complaining the exact same way if it were Russians, Indians or Japanese doing this.

It comes down to people who grew up here all their lives, paying into the tax system, who can't afford to buy a condo 30 minutes outside of Vancouver because the prices are driven up by speculators who contribute barely anything to Vancouver.

I'm all for immigration, if done in a proper way. My parents immigrated from Europe in the late 70's, took English classes, established roots in the community, they worked their asses off for their kids to be raised in Canada.

That's how most immigrant families were in the 70's and 80's... whether they were white or asian or black or whatever. So don't even try pulling the race card.
Advertisement
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
How is it racism? People would be complaining the exact same way if it were Russians, Indians or Japanese doing this.

It comes down to people who grew up here all their lives, paying into the tax system, who can't afford to buy a condo 30 minutes outside of Vancouver because the prices are driven up by speculators who contribute barely anything to Vancouver.

I'm all for immigration, if done in a proper way. My parents immigrated from Europe in the late 70's, took English classes, established roots in the community, they worked their asses off for their kids to be raised in Canada.

That's how most immigrant families were in the 70's and 80's... whether they were white or asian or black or whatever. So don't even try pulling the race card.
What do you mean by contributing, do you mean time or money?

If you meant money, they sure as hell are contributing by pumping a lot of money into the local economy with all their purchases in real estate and luxury goods. You think just because they are not canadians they don't pay taxes like the rest of us do on all the goods they purchase?
apple_cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #53
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Money talks bullshit walks.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #54
RS controls my life!

All of you complaining should realize that most industries nowadays are driven by Chinese demand. Obviously since there is so much demand some of the Chinese people are getting really wealthy and can afford paying exorbitant prices for real estate, luxury goods, etc. However, if the demand in China is not there or it falls you will probably complain more because you lost your job or you did not get your bonus this year or something else. We are living in a globalized economy; the only thing you can do if you want to afford to buy a house in Vancouver is to make enough money to be able to.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #55

i wish u cunts talking bout this "learn english" and "they coming to our country" shit would just move to arizona where u'd be happier. free market and immigration-friendly system. im all for debate but u ignorant farmers really need to go fuck yourselves and stop bitching like brats.
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #56
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
I am Asian...and even i dont think it is right that so many Chinese fobs are looking to buy property in West Van
there's plenty of property in Richmond, Vancouver, Burnaby
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #57
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I am Asian...and even i dont think it is right that so many Chinese fobs are looking to buy property in West Van
there's plenty of property in Richmond, Vancouver, Burnaby
Yes, because only Canadians should be able to own West Vancouver...
Old 05-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #58
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
lol... you know whats funny, notice the swiss coming to van? the russians are doing to switzerland what the chinese are doing here.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00tzilla View Post
All of you complaining should realize that most industries nowadays are driven by Chinese demand. Obviously since there is so much demand some of the Chinese people are getting really wealthy and can afford paying exorbitant prices for real estate, luxury goods, etc. However, if the demand in China is not there or it falls you will probably complain more because you lost your job or you did not get your bonus this year or something else. We are living in a globalized economy; the only thing you can do if you want to afford to buy a house in Vancouver is to make enough money to be able to.
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Most Metro Vancouver jobs don't pay nearly enough to afford housing throughout the city and suburbs. It's not sustainable in any economic sense for typical families. Because the growing luxury class of of Mainland China finds their housing too expensive and their cities too polluted, they should all come here and completely overvalue our housing market? Sure they will throw down 3 million on a house that's actually worth 1 million... yah that's a great globalized economy.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #60
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
I completely agree with you, the thoughts of the people in here have me worried regarding their knowledge of how the world works, their ideas and thoughts are very similar to those which brough on the Great Depression in the 30s, raising tariffs and restricting free-trade(immigration and investments)
How does france do so well with tariffs?

hint: People still wanted french goods.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #61
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Bitch, they be rich.

Money talks and walks.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #62
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Bitch, they be rich.

Money talks and walks.
I'm not getting this comment in this thread.

all I've stated was if I'd be poor i'd rather be poor in an other country.

Just don't limit yourself to vancouver. Honestly for most working class/middleclass (which we are don't kid yourself revscene) there are tons of nice cities around the world.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #63
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
While we are at it, lets make it mandatory to require travel papers when transiting between cities for all Canadians.

Because 2 wrongs make a right. You claim I am racists to justify your own racists thoughts.

You will need to have accumulated between 420 and 700 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period to be entitled to receive EI regular benefits
What about child support, low income family support, tax refunds, various coummunity porgrams. Why should someone who never pay a penny in tax gets to use all these programs cost us millions and millions of tax dollars when hard working people in this country that contrubite gets shaft.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #64
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I'm not getting this comment in this thread.

all I've stated was if I'd be poor i'd rather be poor in an other country.

Just don't limit yourself to vancouver. Honestly for most working class/middleclass (which we are don't kid yourself revscene) there are tons of nice cities around the world.
Sorry, my comment was directed towards you. (Edit, my comment was not...)

What I meant to say is if you got money, anything goes and it doesn't really matter where you are in the world. Money has its ways with people.

It's sad but that's life.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #65
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
think china and canada have some sorta agreement where china resident will be easier to immigrate to canada or something... i rather canada have more europeans instead of china mainlanders at this rate none of us who grew up in vancouver will be able to afford housing. Then we will be forced to move out to surrey and rise our kids to be surrey trash and surrey jacks, blasting 2-pac in our 1997 mustangs
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #66
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Sorry, my comment was directed towards you.

What I meant to say is if you got money, anything goes and it doesn't really matter where you are in the world. Money has its ways with people.

It's sad but that's life.
Yes, thats why the first comment in my thread was "id rather be poor outside of canada"

I will never ever live to work. It will always be the other way around.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #67
RS Veteran

^
Ooops. I had to edit my post.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #68
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What about child support, low income family support, tax refunds, various coummunity porgrams. Why should someone who never pay a penny in tax gets to use all these programs cost us millions and millions of tax dollars when hard working people in this country that contrubite gets shaft.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Quote:
EFFECTIVE December 23, 2010: If you are submitting a language test with your application, the results are now valid for 2 years from the time you took the test, instead of 1 year. This change applies to Federal skilled worker, Canadian Experience Class and Business Class Immigrants (investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people).
If you want to immigrate to Canada, there are a few different ways to apply. You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.

•Skilled workers and professionals
For people who want to settle and work in Canada (outside of Quebec)
•Quebec-selected skilled workers
For people selected by the Quebec government to settle and work in Quebec
•Canadian Experience Class
For people who have recent Canadian work experience or have graduated and recently worked in Canada
•Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people
For people who want to start a business in Canada
•Provincial nominees
One of Canada’s provinces or territories can nominate you to settle and work there
•Sponsoring your family
How to sponsor a family member to join you here if you are a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen
Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #69
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
This is one of the times where the quote "Don't hate the player, Hate the game" applies
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #70
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Most Metro Vancouver jobs don't pay nearly enough to afford housing throughout the city and suburbs. It's not sustainable in any economic sense for typical families. Because the growing luxury class of of Mainland China finds their housing too expensive and their cities too polluted, they should all come here and completely overvalue our housing market? Sure they will throw down 3 million on a house that's actually worth 1 million... yah that's a great globalized economy.
You have to realize that everything is connected that's why its a globalized economy. Those people you are talking about who can't afford to buy a house in Vancouver, some of them wouldn't even have a job if there wasn't demand in China (or the other BRIC countries). There is always going to be winners and losers, that's just how the world works. Those that are winning right now are those that already own property and are selling to these Mainland Chinese people at a premium. Those that are losing are first home buyers that live in Vancouver.

On what basis are you suggesting that Mainland China's housing is too expensive for those people to afford? Most of the Chinese people that are buying up the land in Metro Vancouver are those that have tonnes of money and are just buying as a vacation home or as an investment.

You have a to also realize that Vancouver is a 'hot' place to buy property in. For all the reasons you love living here in Vancouver, all the people that have money want to buy property here so that they can come and enjoy the same stuff that we love to do here. I'm not saying its a good thing that they are overvaluing our housing market, but that's just supply and demand. We can whine and complain about it being unfair but what are you actually doing about it? You can achieve just as much as those people can, you just got to work for it. Work harder, earn more money and afford to buy the things that you want.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #71

Quote:
Yes, because only Canadians should be able to own West Vancouver...
I'm not trying to be an elitist here...I am just saying with these rich FOBs it's just going to be a huge cultural clash.

But at the same time if that means they will assimilate faster..then maybe it is a good thing.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #72
I am Hook'd on RS

just because you grew up here in vancouver, doesn't mean you are better deserved than others to own a house here. The Chinese has got money, and this is a free market, so houses go to the higest bidder, simple.

If you can't afford it, work harder, or move else where, nobody is stopping you. If you don't like it, try move to a communist country, cuba or north korea, they will provide free housing for you, win win.
sundance1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #73
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance1911 View Post
If you can't afford it, work harder, or move else where, nobody is stopping you. If you don't like it, try move to a communist country, cuba or north korea, they will provide free housing for you, win win.
If communism is so great, why are so many people moving here from China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
they really need to fix up the immigration laws.

you don't know english. you GTFO and learn it before you come here

you don't live here for more than 6 months each year and contribute to the various social programs? you don't get medical coverage

When my great grandparents immigrated it was hard as hell to get into Canada. They had so much family turned down, and then the only options they had were to find land in the prairies. Not even the good parts, in the shitty northern parts of Saskatchewan.

My father had a hassle back in the day, he immigrated pre-Trudeau era when a person had to be able to contribute something to Canada to become a part of it.

Nowadays I have no idea how it works. Do they just throw pamphlets into the air in Beijing and Mumbai full of airline tickets and permanent resident cards for Canada?

Some of you are stark apologists in this thread obviously don't feel the anomie the rest of us feel. If we walk into a store in downtown Vancouver and cannot communicate with the person behind the counter because we speak Canada's most dominant official language and nothing else, theres a problem. Why are the citizenship and drivers license tests in a load of assorted languages but the street signs only in French and English?

The soft-handed approach Canada is taking to immigration is hurting us and the Vancouver real estate market is evidence of this. Please, come in, use up our resources, buy a vacation home, and contribute nothing to the system. Also, feel free to ensure a reciprocal effect by providing jobs for future generations of people born outside of our borders... but only them, not the ones born here.

And if you believe that there isn't discriminatory hiring practices based on ethnocentricism from immigrants you are deceiving yourself. At the moment the Canada Investment Act is a joke. It protects existing Canadian corporations from external takeover but if "Canadians" control these corporations they can funnel money where-ever they like.
Canada is going to stay a hinterland nation because of this. We all know there is a problem with the system but we're all powerless to change it.
How many people in the lower mainland send money "back home" instead of keeping it within our borders? How many millions of dollars will never find their way back into our economy, strengthening it, but instead contribute to a systematic molestation of Canada by a heavily gesellschaft mindset?

Oh, and did you know that the law that the United States has about presidents needing to be born within the borders of the US or their territories? Doesn't exist in Canada. Give us two decades and we'll be electing a prime minister with a foreign birth certificate.

This post in no way is meant to criticize immigrants. As I've said, I'm a first generation Canadian. And I know if I were born in another country I'd want to live here. There are millions of immigrants who probably contribute to Canada in exceptional ways. Its just that I have a huge problem with people who come to Canada to wipe their feet on it, treat it like a great place to get cheap healthcare and great education, and give nothing back. Its frustrating to know that, for so many reasons, I'll never own a home in the GVRD. This isn't the country I grew up in and expected to inherit when I became an adult.

I couldn't care less what country you came from, but when you're here please recognize that the country you're in isn't an extension of your own.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #74
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What the hell are you talking about.
1. You have to PAY tax to get a tax refund.
2. If you buy a million $ plus house why would you get low income family support.
3. If they they are renting out these houses and not living here why would the use various community programs?
4. IF they are living here they pay tax.
5. If they are not living here they still pay property tax. In fact they are paying ore property tax than someone living in there own house.
6. There is a rental shortage in Vancouver. Having people buy and rent houses helps alleviate that.

http://www.vancouverreflections.com/...hortage-acute/

Last edited by Manic!; 05-28-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post

Nowadays I have no idea how it works. Do they just throw pamphlets into the air in Beijing and Mumbai full of airline tickets and permanent resident cards for Canada?
Actually it seems a lot harder to immigrate to Canada the past few years. You have to pretty good assets or skills to get in compared to the 90's