REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #1201
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
My opinion is that Grabner wouldn't have had the same offensive output/development on the Canucks because of the coach. It's clear that AV clearly has his favorites and type of players he likes. AV doesn't really trust the young skilled players like Grabner, Hodgson and Shirokov, if they make 1 mistake, they seem to be planted to the bench or press box. Whereas young grinders and career 3rd/4th line guys like Glass, Oreo, Bolduc, Desbiens can make mistakes repeatedly and AV keeps playing them.

Kuzma seems to think Shirokov won't be qualified, making him a UFA. That would be a mistake IMO, he was the Moose's top player and had a awesome playoffs for the Moose. Thought he showed some signs in his brief time with the Canucks, even if Shirokov didn't make the Canucks or goes back to the KHL, at least qualify him to retain his rights or continue to develop him in the AHL.
Honestly, some call me crazy but this is why I think AV has to go. Canucks went deep inspite of him, not because of him. It makes no sense how he treats his skilled players like that. In fact, Sedins have one of the lowest ice time out of any 1st line units in the NHL. Boggles my mind.

Pretty soon we will lose Hodgson too ala Cam Neely style. Neely wasn't played by management either.
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #1202
lol
Need my Daily Fix of RS

AV doesn't win Jack adams awards for nothing tho..

Sedins don't get monster ice time like other top lines because unlike a lot of teams in the NHL, the canucks can roll all 4 lines and compete. Keeps everyone fresh for 60 mins which is maybe why the canucks for a few yrs now have been the best in 3rd periods.

There is just no room for Cody really on this team. It sucks cuz i want to see him play too.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #1203
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
AV doesn't win Jack adams awards for nothing tho..

Sedins don't get monster ice time like other top lines because unlike a lot of teams in the NHL, the canucks can roll all 4 lines and compete. Keeps everyone fresh for 60 mins which is maybe why the canucks for a few yrs now have been the best in 3rd periods.

There is just no room for Cody really on this team. It sucks cuz i want to see him play too.
You're telling me Cody can't play better than what Tanner Glass had to offer? Or Boulduc?

Canucks really only roll 3 lines. If you have a stacked team like the Canucks you can win the Jack Adams too.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #1204
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
You're telling me Cody can't play better than what Tanner Glass had to offer? Or Boulduc?

Canucks really only roll 3 lines. If you have a stacked team like the Canucks you can win the Jack Adams too.
Toughness. Hodgson doesn't really play a very physical game at this point. 3rd and 4th lines need a little grit. The Canucks don't have a dedicated tough guy but there's some toughness in each of the 4 lines and in all the D-men.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #1205
Need to Seek Professional Help

AV won the Jack Adams back in 06-07 when the team wasn't deemed as 'stacked'
Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #1206
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulated View Post
AV won the Jack Adams back in 06-07 when the team wasn't deemed as 'stacked'
You mean Luongo won the Jack Adams back in 06-07.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #1207
lol
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post

I just think the last thing the canucks need is another vagina getting tossed around on the ice.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1208
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Toughness. Hodgson doesn't really play a very physical game at this point. 3rd and 4th lines need a little grit. The Canucks don't have a dedicated tough guy but there's some toughness in each of the 4 lines and in all the D-men.
That's fine but Glass doesn't bring toughness.

Our third line was Torres, Lapierre, Hansen, so there's enough grit there. 4th line had Oreskovich and Malhotra, and AV isn't gonna scratch Manny if he can play. Oreskovich actually hits and he can make plays. I don't remember Glass hitting anything and he certainly can't make or take a pass and is really a hindrance to the puck possession style Vancouver plays. For Glass to be effective he should be playing more like a Sean Thornton. If Glass isn't going to hit anything he really doesn't bring much to the lineup. Hodgson can at least help move the puck, Glass doesn't support the puck well and is really why our 4th line is always hemmed in their own zone. Hodgson should've been used on the 2nd unit PP especially when our PP was trash the entire series.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1209
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,253 Times in 1,618 Posts
we only had 3 lines all year long. the 4th line had a revolving door permanently attached to it.
Spoiler!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #1210
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
I just think the last thing the canucks need is another vagina getting tossed around on the ice.
I agree,

If there's one thing I think the Bruins exposed this year is that the Canucks forwards need more toughness.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #1211
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taker View Post
That's fine but Glass doesn't bring toughness.

Our third line was Torres, Lapierre, Hansen, so there's enough grit there. 4th line had Oreskovich and Malhotra, and AV isn't gonna scratch Manny if he can play. Oreskovich actually hits and he can make plays. I don't remember Glass hitting anything and he certainly can't make or take a pass and is really a hindrance to the puck possession style Vancouver plays. For Glass to be effective he should be playing more like a Sean Thornton. If Glass isn't going to hit anything he really doesn't bring much to the lineup. Hodgson can at least help move the puck, Glass doesn't support the puck well and is really why our 4th line is always hemmed in their own zone. Hodgson should've been used on the 2nd unit PP especially when our PP was trash the entire series.
Doesn't have to be Glass. I'm just saying that's the case against Hodgson on the 4th line as opposed to a real 4th liner. Hodgson is a 1st or 2nd line player but he's grass green so you can't put him up there when we have such an established top two lines. He isn't going to be good at the 4th line role because he's not that type of player and 4th line players aren't going to be the sort of guys that complement his style of play.

Hodgson's best case scenario is that a top line player gets injured and he slots in to that spot temporarily and can prove himself. I think he's going to get that opportunity playing wing with Kesler and Samuelsson since Raymond may start the season on IR. He'll get his shot with real skilled players that can finish. Hopefully he has a good camp and gets the 2nd line LW spot. He's more of a playmaker and Kes/Samuelsson have the finish, although Kesler will probably stay center since Hodgson's face-off skills aren't there yet.

But he shouldn't be on the 4th line and wait for that chance. He should play down on the Wolves until there's a top line spot he can take advantage of.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #1212
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
omg. this bieksa deal is shades of his first year...

one good season and BAM big contract.

He better keep it up or fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #1213
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
omg. this bieksa deal is shades of his first year...

one good season and BAM big contract.

He better keep it up or fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
everyone plays better in contract years....he is no different then any other player out there on the market
Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1214
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,253 Times in 1,618 Posts
the difference is, he has hamhuis as a stable partner (defensively). barring any freak accidents, i think bieksa will be just fine
Spoiler!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #1215
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Good deal by Gillis. Bieksa would get 5 million as a free agent. Juice was our best D men during the playoffs. The only Canucks d-men that plays physical, takes care of his defensive duties, scores goals, and fights. A d-man with a mean streak. Ehrhoff is an offensive d-man, a canoe that is a soft European. He backed up his words when he said he would take a hometown discount to play for the Canucks. 4.6 million US vs. 5 million. Shea Weber would be my pick as a D men to sign. However, he's too expensive for the team payroll. I'm just hoping that the Stanley Cup run gives Juice the extra drive to keep up his level play of pay. We got a good D-man in Bieksa. Go Juice!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #1216

Salo getting injured last year was the best thing to happen to Bieksa.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there

Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #1217
...in the world.

STOP with the Weber talk. HE WILL NOT SIGN WITH THE CANUCKS.

He is an RFA...any offer the Canucks can table will be matched and would probably be considered a fucking good deal considering how much we could possibly offer under the salary cap. In the event that we offer him $15m a season or something stupid (I don't even think the rules allow that much), we'd have to give the Preds our next FOUR first round draft picks.

...which, in case you haven't figured it out, WOULD BE STUPID.

Buffalo matched on Thomas fucking Vanek at $7m and he isn't the kind of superstar Weber is. I enjoy armchair GMing with the rest of you but c'mon...keep it within the fucking realm of possibility...
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #1218
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
Salo getting injured last year was the best thing to happen to Bieksa.
Should FYP to: Hamhuis getting signed last off season was the best thing to happen to Bieksa.

Hope Juice is buying rounds for Hammer all next season thanks to this fat raise.

For the record, and I'm not a Bieksa hater, but I don't think Bieksa is a $5M d-man on his own though I'm sure many teams would have been willing to throw him $5M/yr. It shows when he can't play at the same level without Hamhuis, nor can he bring up the level of play of his D partner when he plays with other guys. Bieksa brings leadership qualities and other intangibles that I'm a huge fan of, but his game intensity and general non-challantness on the ice many times is something that needs work and is something I'd expect a $5M d-man to have figured out.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #1219
UFO

Quote:

He is an RFA...any offer the Canucks can table will be matched and would probably be considered a fucking good deal considering how much we could possibly offer under the salary cap. In the event that we offer him $15m a season or something stupid (I don't even think the rules allow that much), we'd have to give the Preds our next FOUR first round draft picks.

I enjoy armchair GMing with the rest of you but c'mon...keep it within the fucking realm of possibility...
No team is giving Weber ANY offers, Pred's have filed for arbitration which will let them keep him for up to the next 2 years when he is UFA eligible. If they can't sign him to a longterm deal before July 20, then he will sign a 1 or 2 year deal through an arbitrator. Either way, his becoming an RFA is irrelevant.

And throwing offer sheets out there is not as stupid as it sounds; Bobby Clarke offered Kesler 4 yrs at $1.9M. If it's as stupid as you are claiming it is, Burkey could have let Kes go and collected the 4 first rounders. And as we can now see, the $1.9M Kesler was making at the end of the contract term was a ridiculous deal. MG himself offered up the compensation when he signed David Backes to an offer sheet a few years back.

So if you COULD snap up somebody of Weber's stature for 4 potential prospects who may never materialize, it's not really that stupid. But the reality with Weber and Parise right now is that their teams have their assets protected for at least the next season.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #1220
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Bieksa did come off 2 leg lacerations in which he missed significant time so I don't think the previous couple of years are a good indication.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #1221
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Ideally I would love to see hodgson in the line up. But lines 1-3 already have their respectively centers already. Unless he plays on the rw or 3rd line center with manny on his lw as a mentor. Then I don't know where else hodgson can go.

If not maybe trade him off. We've never had a legit powerforward. Pyatt didn't work, neither did bernier. I've always liked the idea of trading for evander kane, but chances of that is rare. Unless we do a hodgson + 1st rd pick.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #1222
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:

Buffalo matched on Thomas fucking Vanek at $7m and he isn't the kind of superstar Weber is. I enjoy armchair GMing with the rest of you but c'mon...keep it within the fucking realm of possibility...
Thank you.

All this Weber coming to the Canucks is as stupid as all those proposal threads on CDC. Weber is not coming to Vancouver, so just stfu about it
Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Should FYP to: Hamhuis getting signed last off season was the best thing to happen to Bieksa.

Hope Juice is buying rounds for Hammer all next season thanks to this fat raise.

For the record, and I'm not a Bieksa hater, but I don't think Bieksa is a $5M d-man on his own though I'm sure many teams would have been willing to throw him $5M/yr. It shows when he can't play at the same level without Hamhuis, nor can he bring up the level of play of his D partner when he plays with other guys. Bieksa brings leadership qualities and other intangibles that I'm a huge fan of, but his game intensity and general non-challantness on the ice many times is something that needs work and is something I'd expect a $5M d-man to have figured out.
But signing Hamhuis was also the reason why he wasn't gonna be a Canuck no more.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there

Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #1224

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
And throwing offer sheets out there is not as stupid as it sounds; Bobby Clarke offered Kesler 4 yrs at $1.9M. If it's as stupid as you are claiming it is, Burkey could have let Kes go and collected the 4 first rounders. And as we can now see, the $1.9M Kesler was making at the end of the contract term was a ridiculous deal. MG himself offered up the compensation when he signed David Backes to an offer sheet a few years back.
Clarke didn't offer Kesler at 4 yrs at 1.9M...the offer sheet was 1 yr at 1.9M. That's equivalent to 1 first rounder at most.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #1225
UFO

Hamhuis can make Ballard worth the $4.2M he is signed to, and I say this with full confidence. Imagine the hips that a Hamhuis/Ballard combo would be throwing down!

FWIW, I remember reading about a MG/Bieksa meeting they had last off season when Bieksa asked MG straight up whether he wanted him on the team or not still, and MG made it clear to Bieksa that he wasn't going anywhere. As I recall this was before Salo hurt himself, and after Hamhuis was signed, so I have faith MG would have made it work one way or another.

Maybe he conspired to have Salo rupture his Achilles somehow... the way our d-men were getting injured just as another was ready to come back in and play last season, you couldn't script it any better than that.
Closed Thread