REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #28126
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
Sounds silly but would lu clear waivers? I guess not as Toronto, Columbus and Tampa are all teams that would take him without giving up assets. (These are his likely trade destinations.) His cap hit is manageable and is still a good goalie. I personally doubt Lu is gna go on waivers.
Waive Lu? The fuck?
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #28127
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I thought about it and you guys are right. We should talk about the loss...but I wanted to get on with the next season as well. And c'mon, Lu was the least of our troubles.

And if it really matters to you guys, then we'll start a new thread in August. Geez.

Removed. My bad. I f'n did it backwards the first time...

<---- this is literally me like half an hour ago.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #28128
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
Sounds silly but would lu clear waivers? I guess not as Toronto, Columbus and Tampa are all teams that would take him without giving up assets. (These are his likely trade destinations.) His cap hit is manageable and is still a good goalie. I personally doubt Lu is gna go on waivers.
Why the fuck would we waive Luongo and give him to teams for nothing when we can trade him and get assets in return.

The fuck?!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #28129
...in the world.

It would be absolutely crazy to waive Luongo. He has good trade value. Not as high as Schneider but there are several teams in the league that would take Luongo. Teams with veteran cores but shaky goaltending. You'd have to think New Jersey is going to be looking to take one of Lu or Schnoo from us. Tampa as well.

I've said it several times before that Luongo's contract isn't as bad as it seems. Everyone always thinks $10m when that's entirely not true and if you read his profile on CapGeek, he has a fairly well structured deal.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #28130
...in the world.

I will be absolutely floored if Mason Raymond is on this team next year. I'm absolutely done with him. If you read into corsi and whatever, Raymond is even worse than you think.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #28131
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Yeah I agree. Just a silly thought
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #28132
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
lol, new thread gone? or merged I mean.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #28133
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
this city is too unfair to Luongo... he deserves a better city to play in
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #28134
i like gifs

Never like Raymond before And I absolutely hate him now. Quite possibly one of the most useless players on our team especially considering how he was given every opportunity to succeed and didn't. If only a guy like Hodgson was afforded that ability...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #28135
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
you were saying...???

u mad?
Haha, maybe if we deserved to win the series

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #28136
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

The only reason I'd want Lu moved is if we get a chance to sign someone like Parise. Twins/Burr/Kes of last season + Parise part of the top 6 would be beyond sick.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #28137
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
lol, new thread gone? or merged I mean.
I guess 2011/2012 isn't over yet.

I just wanted to forget it and Raymond to be dead to me forever.

Do we need another D man in the top 4? Ballard isn't it and Salo should be bottom pairing next year. Weber isn't coming, especially with Nashville looking like they could make a good run. The price is too high for him as a RFA and I think that's just much bolder of a move than Gillis wants to make. However, I don't see any trades out there either. Edler is a good PP D-man but Bieksa and Hamhuis should be together as a 2nd PP pair and sadly Salo doesn't look like he can consistently howitzer anymore. I'd say this season was one of his absolute best defensively which STILL makes him a good $2m signing for next season as insurance and bottom pair.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #28138
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
Weise can develop into a pretty good 4th liner. He needs to decide if he wants to be a gritty, physical player or a beater. If the latter, he's going to need to bone up on how to fight because he sucks at it.
Listening to team1040, eh?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #28139
...in the world.

I always forget Weise is only 23. If he can get to...I don't know, Chris Neil, then that's one hell of a pickup for Mike Gillis. Tell him to hit the weights. He doesn't need to fight often...but he does need to up his physical game, maybe get a bit stronger on his skates.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #28140
i like gifs

The only two UFAs that I can think of that are remotely worth a damn would be Parise & Allen. I'd love to get Bryan Allen back on this team. Big, gritty, hard nosed Canadian dman that would have no issues breaking your face if you tried to take liberties with our players
Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #28141

No I missed out on 1040 post game tonight for once. I'm guessing they had some glowing comments on Weise?

Just checked 1040, what the hell they ended post-game early tonight.

I'm pretty excited to see what kind of changes are coming. At least the off-season will provide some much needed excitement :/

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Old 04-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #28142
i like gifs

Also interested to see what San Jose will be doing to their team as well. I'm convinced that both Marleau & Thornton are gone
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #28143

What's the word with the Pens? Fleury took a hot dump. Man that's something if you get outplayed by Bryz...

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #28144
My homepage has been set to RS

lol funny you mention san jose amid vancouver

chokers

and for the love of god, mason raymond. why the fuck was he not in the press box

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #28145
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
It would be absolutely crazy to waive Luongo. He has good trade value. Not as high as Schneider but there are several teams in the league that would take Luongo. Teams with veteran cores but shaky goaltending. You'd have to think New Jersey is going to be looking to take one of Lu or Schnoo from us. Tampa as well.

I've said it several times before that Luongo's contract isn't as bad as it seems. Everyone always thinks $10m when that's entirely not true and if you read his profile on CapGeek, he has a fairly well structured deal.
I have no problems with the contract money wise, but the fact that he has so much control is what bothers me. Here we are with a new #1 guy, who in most ways is better than Lu, and in some ways a LOT better.. but now we can't sign him unless Lu wants to go personally.

I'm not the biggest Lu fan, but I don't have anything against him as a person. He is handling this really well, from what I hear in his interviews lately. But there is just something about the fact that MG and Aquillini 'gave' the franchise to him... NHL doesn't need a 'franchise player' imo. This isn't basketball. And when they gave him the "C", were denied, then painted it on his mask...
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #28146
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
They mentioned that Schneider has a bad playoff OT record in the AHL.. well I looked it up and it's true. He is like 0-6 in OT games in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. He never won a single OT game those 2 years
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #28147
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Also interested to see what San Jose will be doing to their team as well. I'm convinced that both Marleau & Thornton are gone
why do you think Thornton will be gone? he was an absolute animal in the series, avging something like 24 minutes a game. If this is going to be a no show joe bash don't even bother, he also had 5 points in 5 games when the team as a whole had 8 goals. Marleau on the other hand was pathetic, he didn't register a scoring chance until game 5 are you fucking kidding me, but sadly he has a no movement clause(so does thornton) so I doubt he gets moved. The likely to be moved are Boyle, his no movement clause ends on june 30th, possibly clowe and pavelski as both were invisible in the blues series, and clowe pretty much for the entire season.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #28148
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
The biggest question mark is keep Lu or move him if he agrees to be moved and if teams are willing to give up what the Canucks are looking for. I know the Leafs have been thrown around, I really do see Lu in a Leafs jersey next season but the question is does Lu want to move from hockey crazy market to another? And what will the Leafs give up to get him. I feel that Cory would bring in more compared to Lu just because he's younger and won't command the salary that Lu currently has. And if Lu does stay I can't imagine AV behind the bench, it's going to be an extremely awkward situation moving forward so do the Canucks bring up Mac T?

Gills will define himself and the franchise for the next couple of seasons with the moves he makes or the moves he doesn't make. For his sake lets hope he makes the right move and we don't end up like the Leafs or the Flamers, one bad move leads to another and another and next thing you know it you're missing the playoffs for the next few seasons.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #28149
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I was at the game and Edler was horrible tonight. He looked completely lost out there. There were moments where he just stood there and didn't know where to go or who to pass to.

Still many things to do. I hear a lot of ppl say get rid of AV.

But honestly....who's unemployed right now and can be a better coach than AV?

AV accomplishments

2 Presidents Trophy.
Jack Adams
Divisional Title for how many years?
The most wins in Canucks history.
Stanley Cup finalist
AND if you look really closely in what had got to work with over the years?

And you put in who? MacT? some guy that went to the Stanley cup finals with the Oilers.

The only guy out there right now who has an equally impressive resume would be Crawford. At least he got a cup from Sakic.

IF AV is fired, he won't be unemployed for long.

I think the team just needs a good off season to rest physically and mentally and prepare for next season. The core is there, just need some additional pieces and this team will be the team to beat again next year.

Changes in positions (in my opinion)

Sedins - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - ______
Higgins - ______ - Hansen
______ - Maholtra - Lapierrre

Edler - ______
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Salo (I honestly think Salo cannot play a top 4 role anymore. I don't think we should ride him as a top 4 dman. It will hurt him sooner or later. Prefer him in a bottom pair / PP role)

Luongo
Schneids (He will stay unless we get awesome offers for him).
MacT has a helluva better resume than AV. 4 cups as a player and he took an EIGHTH place Edmonton Oiler team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final in '06. You look at the Oiler lineup that year and they had no stars other than Pronger, Hemsky and Smyth; with Roloson playing lights out. Compare them to the modern day Canuck line up and it's no contest which one was more talented.

AV started coaching the Canucks when they were on the rise. The worst he ever had to put up with was a 9 game losing streak in Vancouver. If this was in the dark ages (late 90s/early 2000s) he would not have survived. He was never here for the rough times and not to mention SO wins count as wins too, whereas in previous years coaches had to live with ties.

The NW division titles mean little, if anything now. I remember when it was the most competitive division in the league at one time. This season Vancouver and 2nd place Calgary had a 21pt differential! It would be more difficult for the Canucks to NOT to win the division. The NE division had a 10 pt gap between first (BOS) and second (OTT) place, teams in all the other divisions were within a hair of each other!

That being said I am hoping AV will join the NHL on TSN Panel next year.

Last edited by mickz; 04-23-2012 at 03:05 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #28150
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
MacT has a helluva better resume than AV. 4 cups as a player and he took an EIGHTH place Edmonton Oiler team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final in '06. You look at the Oiler lineup that year and they had no stars other than Pronger, Hemsky and Smyth; with Roloson playing lights out. Compare them to the modern day Canuck line up and it's no contest which one was more talented.

AV started coaching the Canucks when they were on the rise. The worst he ever had to put up with was a 9 game losing streak in Vancouver. If this was in the dark ages (late 90s/early 2000s) he would not have survived. He was never here for the rough times and not to mention SO wins count as wins too, whereas in previous years coaches had to live with ties.

The NW division titles mean little, if anything now. I remember when it was the most competitive division in the league at one time. This season Vancouver and 2nd place Calgary had a 21pt differential! It would be more difficult for the Canucks to NOT to win the division. The NE division had a 10 pt gap between first (BOS) and second (OTT) place, teams in all the other divisions were within a hair of each other!

That being said I am hoping AV will join the NHL on TSN Panel next year.
Success as a player doesn't translate to success as a coach. If it did then Wanye Gretzky would be the best coach ever.

And the 2006 Oilets run was just one of those times where everything clicked for them at the right time. Hell, Fernado Pasani got 14 goals in the playoffs for crist's sake. How did he and the Oilers do ever since?
Closed Thread