REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Support Forum > Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs

Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs 2016 RS.Net iT Admin: SkinnyPupp
Organizational feedback, general suggestions, account fix requests, concerns, acknowledgements, website and forum bugs & fixes. Support the site, by downloading the official RS App for Android!

View Poll Results: Fail button - yay or nay?
Keep it! It lets me know who the clowns are 251 80.19%
Get rid of it! It hurts my feelings! 62 19.81%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #51
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,944
Thanked 13,520 Times in 1,745 Posts
yet we can't fail you ^
Advertisement
__________________
PHOTOGRAPHY / FLICKR
1exotic is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #52
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 16,343
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,301 Posts
keep it as long as people aren't failing reposts within a large thread.
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS
 
welfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: van
Posts: 2,420
Thanked 256 Times in 163 Posts
you see, if people actually had balls of their own, they wouldn't give 2 shits about their fail count. and this wouldn't even be a discussion
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie P View Post
I am an atheist still, thank God.
an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind
welfare is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS
 
welfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: van
Posts: 2,420
Thanked 256 Times in 163 Posts
yea, whatever.. keep it. at least it's some form of indication. which is better than nothing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie P View Post
I am an atheist still, thank God.
an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind
welfare is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
FAILED ON REV SCENE

RIOT
EmperorIS is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #56
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
The fail button needs to stay. Rename it and give it a euphemism if people are worried about their feelings.. call it 'Disliked posts' or something.


I come to RS, to relax, learn new stuff, be entertained.

When someone makes an idiotic post, and gets failed, I pretty much disregard the post and move on quicker. This leads me to the content that I come for, for the reasons mentioned above. This is especially good in that "s" thread in the NSFW section.

If someones makes a stupid repost, or asks a really stupid question that the community generally thinks is stupid, then it is a good form of feedback for the user who made the stupid post.. so next time they would think before they posted?

If someone posts something really cool, then their posts will get thanked and everyone wins.

Shitty posts ought to be discouraged, and punished with fails, esp if it is a repost of something that could have easily been SEARCHED... or if the content is just stupid. I have yet to see a mass carpet bombed failed post that I went..

"Omg! that post should not have been disregarded like that! It was totally legit!"


If ANYTHING, you would want posts that have some people thanking, and some other people failing.. because what that does is encourage people to have a DISCUSSION. It is a boring place if

1. Everyone failed the same people, and the forum just becomes a huge circlejerk.

2. Everyone only thanked people, no arguments, same old stuff EVERYONE agreed upon. Again, another circlejerk.



That being said, there are ways to make the system better in my opinion.

-Only forum veterans should be able to fail.. more than 500 posts or something like that. This forum should aim to generate more thanks than fails.

-Mod's have said things in the past like: "It means nothing, who care's stop crying over something so meaningless"

Yet at the same time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
moderators, admins, all higher ups are still and will be unfailable.

DEAL WITH IT

Obviously it DOES mean something. Essentially I have no issue that mods are unfailable, but that means they shouldn't fail people themselves? That is truly and equal system that works well for everyone. If the mod's think that's silly, then they should open up themselves for failing.. after all, it means nothing right?

Having an unfailable Mod fail you in a discussion without being returned, EVEN THOUGH the non-mod has good points.. that just leads to this retarded notion that the mod is 'holier than thou' or something.

Argue with with points, rather than just being able to hide behind an unfailiable shroud when MULTIPLE people are in disagreeance with a mod.


-5 fails a day. Make your fails REALLY count.

-Ban people who are trolling to get fails. These people defeat the purpose of this system.


You can 'fail' me if you disagree. I won't get offended.
LiquidTurbo is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #57
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
I've found there are situations where the fail button is a entertaining and even somewhat useful, the porn threads come to mind. In those threads no strong opinions are being expressed however, so the tendency that many people have to self-censor to avoid fails is not an issue. It also ensures only the highest quality fapping material is posted and anything less is clearly marked by the avalanche of fails.

It's the threads in off-topic, where people genuinely make an effort to express their opinions in intelligent discussions only to be berated with fails that I strongly disagree with. Not only does it cause people to self-censor, limiting the contributions to those threads, but it also limits the rebutals since many people feel content with clicking fail and moving on.

With that said, overall I feel the presence of fail buttons hurt the forum; it makes it a less open and welcoming place, that punishes unpopular and controversial comments while limiting the expression of differing perspectives in serious discussions.The fact that it's removal has been brought up twice says a lot IMHO.

At this point, I could have 10,000 fails and care less.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #58
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch
 
fliptuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 20,332
Thanked 13,193 Times in 3,596 Posts
Keep it, with a 1000 post minimum.
__________________
feedback

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad


RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #59
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I've found there are situations where the fail button is a entertaining and even somewhat useful, the porn threads come to mind. In those threads no strong opinions are being expressed however, so the tendency that many people have to self-censor to avoid fails is not an issue. It also ensures only the highest quality fapping material is posted and anything less is clearly marked by the avalanche of fails.

It's the threads in off-topic, where people genuinely make an effort to express their opinions in intelligent discussions only to be berated with fails that I strongly disagree with. Not only does it cause people to self-censor, limiting the contributions to those threads, but it also limits the rebutals since many people feel content with clicking fail and moving on.

With that said, overall I feel the presence of fail buttons hurt the forum; it makes it a less open and welcoming place, that punishes unpopular and controversial comments while limiting the expression of differing perspectives in serious discussions.The fact that it's removal has been brought up twice says a lot IMHO.

At this point, I could have 10,000 fails and care less.
Posted via RS Mobile

It doesn't say anything.

The fact that the polls BOTH TIMES show that most people prefer the fail button negates your argument.
LiquidTurbo is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #60
straight from the fields of squamton
 
1990TSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 11,269
Thanked 576 Times in 201 Posts
let superstars with over 10k posts have unlimited fails too. I know my fails are worth more than some kid who was in diapers still when I signed up for this site!

lololololol
__________________
2013 Mazdaspeed 3
1990TSI is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #61
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,766
Thanked 6,443 Times in 1,211 Posts
^ then mod should enable my fail button again...lol
massive fails will be given out in one night.

but I suggest no fail in some forums like NSFW section?
asian_XL is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #62
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
E-40six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond
Posts: 13,393
Thanked 1,391 Times in 260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
^ then mod should enable my fail button again...lol
massive fails will be given out in one night.

but I suggest no fail in some forums like NSFW section?

That forum definately needs fails. The last time fails were taken away, the threads immediately filled with trolls posting repost and super long pictures and then having them quoted.


In regards to Admins and mods getting failed. Sometimes in posts you can sense there is some resentment towards the "higher ups" where there is a debate with a mod where the mod is the one failing the other person because
he/she does not agree with the poster. You can usually see it when the poster would get many thanks while the only fail would be from either a Mod or an Admin.

Yes, Moderators and Admins do volunteer their time and effort to keep this site running and I would like to thank them for it, but that should not give them immunity from other people disagreeing with them by clicking the fail button.
The only people that should be Immune to anything is !SG, Jace, and Chooman.

Also if the fails bother the mods/admins don't they have the power to remove it and usually aren't they the ones saying its just fails?
__________________
Revscenes youngest pw with a ppd of 67.13:D
Acura Integra Type R 00-1004SOLD
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR


My Feedback

Last edited by E-40six; 06-17-2011 at 09:29 PM.
E-40six is online now  
Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #63
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
It doesn't say anything.

The fact that the polls BOTH TIMES show that most people prefer the fail button negates your argument.
Revscene is not a democracy, that negates your argument.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #64
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 17,970
Thanked 4,932 Times in 1,658 Posts
The fail button works wonders in the porn thread because I know when theres a handful of fails on a vid, its probably some bullshit censored japanese shit with a 13 year old girl tied to a unicycle wearing a pokemon outfit sounding like a squirrel getting run over and I can cruise right passed it. Same thing for the funny junk thread (strangely enough, probably the same video).
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is online now  
Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #65
My homepage has been set to RS
 
goo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van
Posts: 2,050
Thanked 192 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

It's the threads in off-topic, where people genuinely make an effort to express their opinions in intelligent discussions only to be berated with fails that I strongly disagree with. Not only does it cause people to self-censor, limiting the contributions to those threads, but it also limits the rebutals since many people feel content with clicking fail and moving on.


goo3 is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #66
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,766
Thanked 6,443 Times in 1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
The fail button works wonders in the porn thread because I know when theres a handful of fails on a vid, its probably some bullshit censored japanese shit with a 13 year old girl tied to a unicycle wearing a pokemon outfit sounding like a squirrel getting run over and I can cruise right passed it. Same thing for the funny junk thread (strangely enough, probably the same video).
I would rather take the risk getting 100 fails to post "some bullshit censored japanese shit with a 13 year old girl tied to a unicycle wearing a pokemon outfit sounding like a squirrel getting run over "

if you find this uncomfortable, then you should start banning people, not simply a fail. seriously, after 1000 of fails and thanks, it has become senseless.
asian_XL is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 AM   #67
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post


An upside to the fail button is that these posts are unnecessary.



Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #68
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,426
Thanked 798 Times in 234 Posts
useless dumb posts increase without the fail button.

MUST KEEP IT
trip is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #69
Say! Say! Say!
 
Razor Ramon HG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 13,423
Thanked 2,018 Times in 769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
let superstars with over 10k posts have unlimited fails too. I know my fails are worth more than some kid who was in diapers still when I signed up for this site!
Time to abuse my fail button.

__________________
Quote:
Owner of Vansterdam's 420th thanks. OH YEAUHHH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #70
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Watercloset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 30
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How about limiting the number of fails you can give per week? Either that, or you can only hand out a fail for every thanks you receive?
Watercloset is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #71
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Couldn't care less.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #72
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
dimdiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pomoo
Posts: 78
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Instead of focusing on ppl that couldn't take a fail, why aren't we focusing on ppl that can't use the fail button in a mature way?? I agree fail button are useful for others to filter out useless post but then there are some that abuses the fail button by just failing posts for his/her personal reasons.

Another thing is the search function. There are a lot of posts where the title is totally irrelvant to the information/video posted so when someone wanted to post the same thing and goes search, they see nothing so they go ahead and post. In return there's probably 10+ fails and 10+ posts stating the information posted is a repost just because the OP doesn't come to rs often enough to keep up with every post nor can he/she do a search to see if it's a repost.

There are other forums survives without the use of a fail button. Trolls are here no matter what you do, it's something you can prevent. But instead if fail buttons are taken away and members can bear the few seconds wasted with useless posts, maybe that encourage more ppl to post information they wanted to share. This is a community after all, not just a place for active members to hang out or at least that's what I think. Maybe if the same user posts multiple useless post then members have the option to report him/her to the mod and let the mod handle it.

Fails wont do anything except to filter out junks, it doesn't help rs at all
dimdiu is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #73
My homepage has been set to RS
 
DsZ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 2,122
Thanked 235 Times in 163 Posts
I say keep the fail button, but if the mods see the same people failing posts over and over for no reason they should be able to take away the ability for those members to fail from then on. Abuse the privallage and you lose it.
__________________
2000 Dakota R/T
DsZ24 is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #74
My homepage has been set to RS
 
welfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: van
Posts: 2,420
Thanked 256 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimdiu View Post
Instead of focusing on ppl that couldn't take a fail, why aren't we focusing on ppl that can't use the fail button in a mature way?? I agree fail button are useful for others to filter out useless post but then there are some that abuses the fail button by just failing posts for his/her personal reasons.

Another thing is the search function. There are a lot of posts where the title is totally irrelvant to the information/video posted so when someone wanted to post the same thing and goes search, they see nothing so they go ahead and post. In return there's probably 10+ fails and 10+ posts stating the information posted is a repost just because the OP doesn't come to rs often enough to keep up with every post nor can he/she do a search to see if it's a repost.

There are other forums survives without the use of a fail button. Trolls are here no matter what you do, it's something you can prevent. But instead if fail buttons are taken away and members can bear the few seconds wasted with useless posts, maybe that encourage more ppl to post information they wanted to share. This is a community after all, not just a place for active members to hang out or at least that's what I think. Maybe if the same user posts multiple useless post then members have the option to report him/her to the mod and let the mod handle it.

Fails wont do anything except to filter out junks, it doesn't help rs at all


i disagree. see, i just looked at your fail to thanks in posts ratio and it was a lot faster than it would have been to read your post
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie P View Post
I am an atheist still, thank God.
an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind
welfare is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #75
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 16,343
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,301 Posts
i was searching something just now and it yielded one of RS biggest failbait threads

http://www.revscene.net/forums/just-...e-t593605.html
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net