REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 08-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #2551
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Personally, I really wouldn't bother future proofing any PC-related items anymore. It's much easier to just resell and buy the next new thing instead if your current hardware isn't up to your expectations.
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #2552
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Personally, I really wouldn't bother future proofing any PC-related items anymore. It's much easier to just resell and buy the next new thing instead if your current hardware isn't up to your expectations.
yes and no
personally I'd never go and spend the part that offers the best performance at a huge cost

but next-gen consoles are due in a few months and would be stupid to get a card to only to get hold back by a memory cap relatively soon...it's one thing if your card lacks the brute horsepower to run a game...you just dial down the settings...but once you hit a VRAM wall there's nothing you can do but upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
+1
paperclip method the PSU
How to Test a Computer Power Supply Unit with a Paper Clip - YouTube

unplug everything other than mobo/fans and see what happens
Hmm I have a computer where it randomly shut down after 20 min...then 5 min down to shutting off in seconds. I swapped in a different PSU and the problem was gone. I dusted my old PSU and tested it with the paper clip and it's been running 24 no issues (except the LED lights flicker every few seconds)...so this PSU is fine? I dont know if I should waste any more time installing it back/wire mgmt just to have it turn off on me again.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #2553
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
I would say your PSU is done. I'm guessing when you are using the paper clip there is nothing else attached to the PSU. If it runs fine like that then i would say if you put load on the psu it will turn off pretty quick. Might as well throw the PSU away.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #2554
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
yes and no
personally I'd never go and spend the part that offers the best performance at a huge cost

I always buy and sell top end Video Cards every two years.

but its like a circle.....Selling previous one for around 200~300
Buy a top end one for 750 ...

So, its like adding 400 bux to get top end every 2 yrs

Last edited by ime2006; 08-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #2555
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Hmm I have a computer where it randomly shut down after 20 min...then 5 min down to shutting off in seconds. I swapped in a different PSU and the problem was gone. I dusted my old PSU and tested it with the paper clip and it's been running 24 no issues (except the LED lights flicker every few seconds)...so this PSU is fine? I dont know if I should waste any more time installing it back/wire mgmt just to have it turn off on me again.
PSU is likely done, I had a DOA one that was like that except the longest it would last was 2 min, then 30 seconds, then nothing. It passed a PSU tester and the paperclip test, I'm assuming it has something to do with there being no current draw with those tests.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #2556
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Twitchy, fck yea Rome 2 is the reason I'm upgrading my vid card, I'm a huge history nerd and I love games that allow you to relive history. I have Shogun 2 as well, but I could never get into it even though I studied Japanese History and liked it. There was something odd about that game that it just turns me off, maybe the small map size, maybe how fuckin gloomy the whole game looks, everything is dark, HDR'ish, etc.... can't wait for Rome 2, gonna play as my own people this time around, the Illyrian war tribes, gonna see if I can take on Rome in their own back yard right across the Adriatic, lol

but fck im a noob..... I ended up getting another ASUS 660 ti to SLI it instead of a single 770 since the convo I had about the 2gb being ok for a while swayed me into not thinking I had to go with a 4gb card right now, and also I saw benchmarks that in most games and cases two TI's it performs better then a single 770, so now I got my old EVGA 660 ti and the new ASUS 660 ti.

problem though, I was trying to update the ASUS card with latest bios and it looks like it flashed the shit out of both cards, so for example my EVGA now shows in GPUZ it's running the ASUS bios... I guess the best way would have been to do it separately each card in by itself... in any case, I've pretty much handicapped my EVGA card currently, for example the ASUS card runs almost twice as fast in the benchmarks I've done. So obviously it's the fault of the bios...

So right now the ASUS runs perfect, but I'm trying to figure out how to update the EVGA bios for fcsks sake... ASUS has an utility where you just basically press go and it checks the intertes, then updates and restarts your computer so it flashes updates both your MOBO and GPU bios to latest.... EVGA doesnt seem to have shit, and I can't figure out the DOS bullshit that is NVFLASH

EDIT:: figured it out, finally found a way after a whole lot of searching to flash GPU BIOS within windows using nflash, both cards are working at full capacity and running very well... I am getting noticeably better results than a single 770, so thanks for the advice guys, it worked out the way I needed it too....
3dMark score for Fire Strike Standard (not Extreme) is at 9091, which I don't know if that's even right, because what a single Titan card gets ?

Last edited by G-spec; 08-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #2557

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
Twitchy
EDIT:: figured it out, finally found a way after a whole lot of searching to flash GPU BIOS within windows using nflash, both cards are working at full capacity and running very well... I am getting noticeably better results than a single 770, so thanks for the advice guys, it worked out the way I needed it too....
3dMark score for Fire Strike Standard (not Extreme) is at 9091, which I don't know if that's even right, because what a single Titan card gets ?
Your 660Ti SLI performance is in between GTX 780 and Titan

Titan is around 9130 score. My GTX780 got 9010 score

Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #2558
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
Your 660Ti SLI performance is in between GTX 780 and Titan

Titan is around 9130 score. My GTX780 got 9010 score

but the titan really shines when you have a huge or multiple screens, since it has that monster 6gb memory...
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #2559

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
but the titan really shines when you have a huge or multiple screens, since it has that monster 6gb memory...
Yea, thats the benefit of having huge Memory. Totally understand.

I was going for Titan, but too bad, I only have a Dell U2711 not 3.
Titan will be over kill for me.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #2560

yea, if you dont plan on getting more or a bigger res monitor.. no need to such an expensive GFX card..
Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2561

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
dat minimum fps
Attached Images
File Type: png Captureheaven.PNG (24.3 KB, 0 views)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #2562
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Does anyone use a PCI-E sound card? I'm thinking of getting the Asus Xonar 5.1 which is on sale right now for $25 ($15 after a $10 rebate) but I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade from my onbaord sound card.

I'm using a MSI Z77 MPower

and this is the sound card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Low Profile PCI Sound Card w/ Headphone AMP at Memory Express
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #2563
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I use a Asus Xonar Essence STX because I do listen to a lot of music with my headphones and needed a good sound card so my cans weren't being wasted.

Honestly I think any sound card today is still better than onboard, and if I were to recommend a sound card to someone I would only recommend the Xonar 5.1 or Xonar Essence STX. Why? Because anything in between is a waste of money and you don't get your money's worth. Either get an entry level sound card or get the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Does anyone use a PCI-E sound card? I'm thinking of getting the Asus Xonar 5.1 which is on sale right now for $25 ($15 after a $10 rebate) but I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade from my onbaord sound card.

and this is the sound card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Low Profile PCI Sound Card w/ Headphone AMP at Memory Express
JoeyStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2564
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post

Absolutely worth it, if you have mid range speakers or better
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #2565

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
i see quite a lot of z87 motherboards comes with non realtek on board sound, are those gonna be better? or just gimmick?
Posted via RS Mobile
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #2566
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Depends on what they are using instead. Some may be better, some may be worse
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #2567
I STILL don't get it

What speakers/headphones are you using? I really wouldn't bother unless your audio gear can make use of the higher power/fidelity output.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #2568

For my speakers, I've been using the Logitech Z2300s (approx 6 years old now). Kind of looking to upgrade but they're still sounding good.

I'm using SoundBlaster Alphas for gaming right now, but I'm looking at upgrading to a set of the SteelSeries Siberias. Might even get real headphones and not gaming headphones.

I also use Sennheiser HD-25 IIs when I don't really need a mic a lot more comfortable.

So I bought that sound card yesterday and realized it was a PCI slot

Decided to get these instead: Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1 Gaming Audio Card w/ Headphone Amp at Memory Express
Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #2569
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Looking for entry level Z87 Board? Here it is :
EDIT: DEAL is dead =/

Last edited by 3klipze; 08-14-2013 at 09:24 AM.
3klipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
The link is wrong... lol
Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #2571

Probably cause it was one of those like daily deals. Link was to the daily deal page but not the deal itself.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #2572

So what material would you guys recommend that I use to cover the side of my case...something that allows good airflow... I'm planning on taking off the whole left side cover because everything runs at least 15c's cooler since the computer is right next to my window. And that's on summer nights, winter nights I'm expecting it all to run even cooler. All that cool air coming in makes a huge difference... I still would like to put some filter type material to keep any particles out, has to be big enough to cover the whole left side of the case..

I wouldn't do this if the diff is a measly few Celsius, but upwards of 20celsius cooler is big
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #2573

^ Firstly I would consider getting better/more fans.

If you're trying to go ahead with your plan and DIY. Cut a hole in your side panel, leaving an inch and add mesh grill with a rivet gun...then add some fan filters.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #2574

^ you know I been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a full size atx since my mid is very crowded currently, some plugs and parts are a super tight fit. So I seen a case called the Azzo 1000 which has a big 230mm fan on the left side which is where I need it, so I imagine that fan sucking in tons of cool outside air. Some people said the fan however isn't that strong? Maybe they're wrong ? Either way what options do I have for a high quality 230mm fan? Noctua??? I don't care about noise since my PC sits in the back of the room
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #2575

From the spec u mentioned about your rig, a atx case is sufficient. Look for a high air flow case and add some high rpm fan. If u don't care about noise that is...

Or just buy a small table fan and leave your side panel open and make it blow in there hahaha
Posted via RS Mobile
3klipze is offline   Reply With Quote