REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #5676
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Aw yis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (28.2 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #5677
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
yep i'd rather have 150 down 150 up than 300 down 15 up
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #5678
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I'm sure this isn't your issue, but just in case try changing your cable. I had something similar with Urbanfiber here in Coquitlam, and changing the cable did the trick to get the full gigabit speed up and down.
yup...get one that's properly rated,also you can update you're LAN driver on the motherboard page...just find the brand of it and ur model name.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #5679
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
Does upload speed really Matter these days?
I run a Plex server so I can watch my stuff outside the house. Shaw's upload speed didn't work out for me. With 150 upload, I can share my library with my sister, gf, cousin no problem.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #5680
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Not really a upgrade or anything but I finally have a place to mount my servers instead of having them sit on my dining table...

Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #5681
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
does Shaw have anything more stable than the crappy Hitron gateways for the 150? I still get disconnects as frequent as every 15 minute and they've replaced the unit with the same thing...this was a year ago
yes shaw does have other modems available, but before going further, r u sure ur not having other issues such as the most common, wifi range/interference issue? r u disconnecting on ur wifi devices only? or both wifi n ethernet connected devices looses connection every so often? if its just wifi issue ur having then maybe consider 3rd party routers with stronger wifi or mesh wifi networks. ive always had the shaw modems in bridge mode + my own router, n now added access points for range.

as for the hitron, its known to be a shit product, search up hitron threads on dslreports under the shaw isp forum. lots of ppl discussing its issues, TLDR, its both a hardware and software issue, no way of fixing. all the different cisco models ive used throughout the past years had been rock solid, never had to restart it or anything, granted i also dont use the built in router as i have my own. if u want a good modem that shaw uses, look for the cisco version. issue is, this modem is very, very hard to come by, reason being is it costs shaw ~$100 difference at cost to deploy vs the hitron, thus shaw has plenty of stock of the hitron than the cisco. the cisco version was only used for the initial month or so of 150Mbps introduction n shaw changed to the hitron units. u can call their call center n ask the to check stock, specifically ask for the cisco version of the "mod326"(their internal modem identification), remember u have to specifically ask for the cisco version, as "mod326" refers to both cisco n hitron modems, theyre interchangable. also keep in mind their "stock lookup" is not live, and does not specifically say how many units is in stock at a location. there is also a newish modem by arris called XB6 but not too familiar with this model, n i think its deployed only on their top tier plans with bluesky TV only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #5682
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Time to start building...
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #5683
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Are there any shops in the GVRD that sell Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny computers? Specifically looking for an M720.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #5684

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-rtx/
Old 12-09-2018, 12:29 AM   #5685
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Are there any shops in the GVRD that sell Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny computers? Specifically looking for an M720.
I can probably get one for you. PM me the specs you need and i can look what i can get in stock. I know they want to discontinue the m720 for the newer models soon.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #5686
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
https://www.whirlwindfx.com/

was thinking of getting this just for the fuck of it lol

Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #5687
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Is it possible to build a decent gaming desktop with $850 to $1000. I already have an SSD and HDD.
I just want to be able to play games like overwatch, Frotnite, LoG, Warcraft, D3 etc etc with decent graphics and frame rate.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #5688
GO FLAMES GO

Time to start tweaking it and getting some overclocking
Club-Integra.net OG

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 12-09-2018 at 07:36 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #5689
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is it possible to build a decent gaming desktop with $850 to $1000. I already have an SSD and HDD.
I just want to be able to play games like overwatch, Frotnite, LoG, Warcraft, D3 etc etc with decent graphics and frame rate.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JFcnr6

This is without a GPU. I picked a cheap case that I had before that I really liked.

Something like that will be fine. I usually buy my GPUs used to save a big chunk of change since most vendors have warranty tied to serials such as ASUS and EVGA.

Something like a GTX 1060/RX 580 will be fine for you.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #5690

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
wifi signal is strong but just frequent disconnects on multiple devices
i haven't used ethernet cables in forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
yes shaw does have other modems available, but before going further, r u sure ur not having other issues such as the most common, wifi range/interference issue? r u disconnecting on ur wifi devices only? or both wifi n ethernet connected devices looses connection every so often? if its just wifi issue ur having then maybe consider 3rd party routers with stronger wifi or mesh wifi networks. ive always had the shaw modems in bridge mode + my own router, n now added access points for range.

as for the hitron, its known to be a shit product, search up hitron threads on dslreports under the shaw isp forum. lots of ppl discussing its issues, TLDR, its both a hardware and software issue, no way of fixing. all the different cisco models ive used throughout the past years had been rock solid, never had to restart it or anything, granted i also dont use the built in router as i have my own. if u want a good modem that shaw uses, look for the cisco version. issue is, this modem is very, very hard to come by, reason being is it costs shaw ~$100 difference at cost to deploy vs the hitron, thus shaw has plenty of stock of the hitron than the cisco. the cisco version was only used for the initial month or so of 150Mbps introduction n shaw changed to the hitron units. u can call their call center n ask the to check stock, specifically ask for the cisco version of the "mod326"(their internal modem identification), remember u have to specifically ask for the cisco version, as "mod326" refers to both cisco n hitron modems, theyre interchangable. also keep in mind their "stock lookup" is not live, and does not specifically say how many units is in stock at a location. there is also a newish modem by arris called XB6 but not too familiar with this model, n i think its deployed only on their top tier plans with bluesky TV only.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #5691
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Crazy deal on a pre built.

[Lenovo Canada] Blazing hot Lenovo T730 I9 9900K, 2080 $1804.05 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #5692
GO FLAMES GO

FWIW, I called into Telus and they gave me 1gigabit fibre for 95$
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #5693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

This is without a GPU. I picked a cheap case that I had before that I really liked.

Something like that will be fine. I usually buy my GPUs used to save a big chunk of change since most vendors have warranty tied to serials such as ASUS and EVGA.

1060 all the way,i was surprised 6gb could play pubg easily on medium settings and hold a steady 60 fps the entire time.
and Ryzen 5 works better with faster ram so 3200 would do,like 10% boost in fps.

for 60hz monitors i notice bestbuy has some crazy cheap deals on 26'' that seems huge
Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #5694
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
1060 all the way,i was surprised 6gb could play pubg easily on medium settings and hold a steady 60 fps the entire time.
and Ryzen 5 works better with faster ram so 3200 would do,like 10% boost in fps.

for 60hz monitors i notice bestbuy has some crazy cheap deals on 26'' that seems huge
DDR4-3000 CAS15 is pretty much the same as DDR4-3200 CAS16, so no point shelling out more money for equal performance.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #5695
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Just curious. Is there another forum that you guys frequent on for Canadian deals and builds? Other than this thread and RFD. thx

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #5696
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
double post. delete

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold

Last edited by gilly; 12-11-2018 at 08:31 AM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #5697

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Asus PG278QR
Acer Predator XB271HK
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #5698
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

Thank you!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #5699
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Can I ask where most of you buy your PC's or PC parts? I'm looking at building a new PC soon and was wondering where a decent place to go or order from was? I used to go to NCIX because of location but obviously not an option anymore.

I'd like to pick out the parts and have them build the PC for me as I suck at assembling things.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #5700
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Since NCIX folded, I have mostly been buying from a mixture of the following sources (listed in no particular order):

- NewEgg.ca
- Memory Express
- Canada Computers

Essentially, whoever is cheaper / has stock gets my money. Sometimes I price match, but sometimes it makes no sense when it is only cheaper by a very small amount.

Observations:

- NewEgg's pick up hours are absolutely horrible. I dread buying from them the most because of this, but when they are the only one that has the deal I need, I just have to bite the bullet.

- Memory Express and Canada Computers generally seems on par to me. I find that CC normally is a touch cheaper, but ME will almost always price match, so it is a non-issue.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: