REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #5776
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
What’s everyone’s opinion on USB-C?

Wifey is looking at a new MacBook Air and it only has the usb-c. So you’re essentially forced to buy an adapter. The guy at the Apple store said that it works pretty much flawlessly though no matter what you’re doing ie. Sending video via hdmi, drives etc. I’d just never really seen/run into it till today
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #5777
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
It won't be popular in the Windows world. At lease in the next few years. I have USB-C port on the Dell desktop at work, the only good thing about it is I can use the Samsung TypeC thumb drive without a type A converter.

Make sure she doesn't use cheap chinese adapter, I've heard many stories in Asia that would killed the ports on a Mac.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #5778
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Wifey is looking at a new MacBook Air and it only has the usb-c. So you’re essentially forced to buy an adapter. The guy at the Apple store said that it works pretty much flawlessly though no matter what you’re doing ie. Sending video via hdmi, drives etc. I’d just never really seen/run into it till today
The next-gen port. It should be all you need, I had a 2017 Macbook Pro with 2 Thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) port on it and it was fine. Got a few adapters from amazon and made it work. Mainly just carried one that had 3 USB-A, MicroSD, SD and HDMI.

Then I had a Thunderbolt 3 hub at home, so when I got home my external display, harddrives, ethernet were all plugged in with one cable and charged it. Just made life easier.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #5779

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
that's how you know you've been stuck in the iOS ecosystem haha

they've been on imac/macbooks, windows and android devices for quite a few years now

i only use an adapter for plugging into the wall/public places...for data you'll eventually get a card reader, car cigarette charger etc. that supports it natively

they can support 100w power or 40gbps data speed but it's confusing to the consumer because there's tons of them out there with varying specs, many not backwards compatible
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #5780
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
annoying thing about RGB is if you have a buncha different manufacturer there's no easy way to sync everything

ie having a white glass case i just want everything purple, but it's a pita to set up because the asus software conflicts with the g.skill one which doesnt play nice with the msi one...and the corsair one only works in windows so it's a giant mess during bootup and some of it is still running when the computer is shut off
I found the asus software a little glitchy and I also have the same problem where the RAM's RGB stays on during sleep mode. Cant figure it out how to turn the lights off. Only way to have all the lights off is to shut it down.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #5781
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

My coworker uses one, he has adapters and dongles all over the place and at least for his external monitors he's always fighting with them. Hooking up only one cable for docking is handy but a lot of other laptops can do that too while still having conventional USB ports.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #5782

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Some good news from Nvidia.

NVIDIA To Officially Support VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) Under “G-Sync Compatible” Branding

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13797...tible-branding
Old 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #5783
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Some good news from Nvidia.

NVIDIA To Officially Support VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) Under “G-Sync Compatible” Branding

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13797...tible-branding
Yeah I saw that, it opens up a lot more options for video card upgrades.

They list some 'officially supported' monitors... But there's only like 10 there. They list the 27" version of my monitor, but not the 24"
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #5784
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
If you had like a $4k budget (doesn't mean you need use it all) what would you buy? Some requirements:

Used for heavy rendering and 3D modeling. Single GPU (probably 2080 Ti). 64GB Ram. i7 CPU.

What specific parts would you buy? Only tower stuff, no perpetuals.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #5785

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
and now I feel silly spending $1800 on Asus Pg348q
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #5786

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
If you had like a $4k budget (doesn't mean you need use it all) what would you buy? Some requirements:

Used for heavy rendering and 3D modeling. Single GPU (probably 2080 Ti). 64GB Ram. i7 CPU.

What software are you using? maybe look at Threadripper.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #5787

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post

4k is huge budget.
Intel Core i9-9980XE or AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX. A cheaper alternative but still super powerful is the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X for your workstation.

2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
Old 01-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #5788
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Does anyone know of a computer shop that can at least test your hardware for free or really cheap? My computer shut off and I think it's the PSU. So i took it out and to memory express but they charge $50 just to test it... i ended up buying a new one for that amount, haven't put it in yet but I'd like to at least test mine and dont have a friend with a spare pc.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #5789
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
Does anyone know of a computer shop that can at least test your hardware for free or really cheap? My computer shut off and I think it's the PSU. So i took it out and to memory express but they charge $50 just to test it... i ended up buying a new one for that amount, haven't put it in yet but I'd like to at least test mine and dont have a friend with a spare pc.
MemEx has no restocking fees. Just plug in the new and if it works, there you go.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #5790

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
try and pop in the new psu asap. initial 15 days you can return or refund no questions asked.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #5791
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Didn't work. Pretty sure i installed it correctly, main ones being the large mobo plug (that looks like an old printer cable head) and the cpu atx one. Mobo light is on when the power cable is plugged in but power switch does nothing. Im guessing either mobo or the slight off cfhance that i may have knocked loose the power switch pin. I will try again tomorrow when theres more light. I might have to try the paper clip test, didn't really wanna but I guess if i stay away from the clip when it's plugged in I should be ok.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #5792
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
Didn't work. Pretty sure i installed it correctly, main ones being the large mobo plug (that looks like an old printer cable head) and the cpu atx one. Mobo light is on when the power cable is plugged in but power switch does nothing. Im guessing either mobo or the slight off cfhance that i may have knocked loose the power switch pin. I will try again tomorrow when theres more light. I might have to try the paper clip test, didn't really wanna but I guess if i stay away from the clip when it's plugged in I should be ok.
Take everything out of your case and have only the bare essentials.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU.

If you tried all combinations, it's your motherboard.

PSUs can pass the paperclip test and still fail, so I wouldn't really bother with that.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #5793

So many CES video's!!! AMD has a new GPU and CPU. Ryzen 3 will work in all AM$ motherboards. So if you are running Ryzen it's a simple upgrade.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #5794
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
"The company ran a live Cinebench test at stock frequencies against Intel's latest 8th-generation Core i9-9900K chip to show that it would draw about 30 percent less power, while edging it in performance.

God damn,how is intel gonna beat or match that...starting to turn into a AMD fan if they keep this up,would be an upgrade from my ryzen 5 1600x but its fitting my needs for now,Quite sure they mentioned it would still work with AM4 motherboards...intel i9 you're talking about buying whole another motherboard if you wanted to upgrade from older Chips...yikes!

Last edited by Mr.Money; 01-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #5795

just did this on my pc with another fan to pull and big dif on the 120mm set-up,7-8 degree lower temps gaming,not overclocked yet because everything is running like its suppose to at 144hz,150 fps on ultra settings..

Here some of these review sites said it would be minimum gains if you did use two vs one fan
Old 01-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #5796
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
I believe that’s how my big Noctua heat sink works so it makes sense
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #5797
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post

just did this on my pc with another fan to pull and big dif on the 120mm set-up,7-8 degree lower temps gaming,not overclocked yet because everything is running like its suppose to at 144hz,150 fps on ultra settings..

Here some of these review sites said it would be minimum gains if you did use two vs one fan
Yea push pull works only if you have shitty fans. If you have good static pressure fans it shouldn't matter. Builders generally opt for Pull for better dust and debris.

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #5798

that explains something then..i'm using bottom tier water cooling on amd ryazen 5 1600x with a cheap h60 corsair i bought for $70 on this budget build.

this "define mini C" windowed case also has dust filters in the front covering it up even more too.

just randomly decided if it would make a difference adding another fan after air canning the inside and washing the filters...filters seems to be working good,because there's near no dust inside on the components unless you're looking with a bright flash light
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #5799

Hey guys, I am kind of new to overclocking.

I overclocked my 9700k from base clock of 3.6ghz to 5ghz. Voltage is around 1.28, idle temps around 36 degrees and load temps at 60 degrees.

My question is, is it normal for the clock speed to decrease when CPU is underload? When I run cinebench, my clock speed drop to around 4.5-4.6 ghz.

TIA

2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #5800
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
i think this is more computer related than phone related, so i'll ask here.

i got a new Samsung S9 recently, but my comp with Windows 10 won't recognize the phone 9 out of 10 times that i plug it in. And the 1 time that it does recognize it, it's unbearably slow, to the point that it freezes my folders/explorer.exe. the phone will still charge and windows will make a system sound that acknowledges something was plugged in. device manager will also show the phone under "portable devices", but i can't transfer any files to/from the PC.

i've tried two other computers, one with windows 8 and another one with windows 10, and both recognized the phone immediately and was able to transfer files seamlessly (even without installing/updating any drivers). so i know it's not the phone and not the cable. it's unlikely due to the version of windows or drivers. So what am i missing here?? anyone got any ideas?

other things i've tried after searching online:
-used different USB ports on the computer.
-updated all drivers on the computer for the phone
-made sure the phone was on MTP file transfer protocol
-enabled developer mode and usb debug
-airplane mode when plugged in
-installed windows media feature pack
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote