REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #6651
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Does anyone know if their RGB RAM get hot/warm on idle?
I bought these aftermarket RGB heatspreaders and plugged them in for about 10 mins without installing them on RAM yet, and they get decently hot to the touch, but only when the RGB lights are turned on.

I'm wondering if RGB function actually generate more heat, kind of defeating the purpose of using them on RAM. Or it could just be that these aftermarket rgb spreader I bought aren't very good.

nope, the way they designed the G skill ram is that they bolted on two heat spreaders of stamped steel each side, People even cut themselves on it... the edges are sharp its weird as hell.
Spoiler!
Advertisement

Last edited by Mr.Money; 02-19-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #6652
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
nope, the way they designed the G skill ram is that they bolted on two heat spreaders of stamped steel each side, People even cut themselves on it... the edges are sharp its weird as hell.
Well I'm basically doing the same thing. I bought non RGB RAM at a good price and then decided to buy aftermarket RGB heatspreaders to DIY.

I'm just wondering why are my heatspreaders getting hot when they aren't even attached to the RAM yet. Even my RAM that's installed are room temp on idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
soo is it legit or what
Probably...?
Specs seem accurate in CPU-Z. Can chips be altered to fool CPU-Z?
I'm not sure what to do to test it?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #6653
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
^ benchmark testing. see how the stats compare to other ones.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #6654
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Does anyone know if their RGB RAM get hot/warm on idle?
I bought these aftermarket RGB heatspreaders and plugged them in for about 10 mins without installing them on RAM yet, and they get decently hot to the touch, but only when the RGB lights are turned on.

I'm wondering if RGB function actually generate more heat, kind of defeating the purpose of using them on RAM. Or it could just be that these aftermarket rgb spreader I bought aren't very good.
Yeah, they generate heat. My Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB gets reasonably hotter and so did my G.SKILL Trident RGB.

Actually regret getting these Corsair. The colour consistency at white is horrible.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #6655
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ benchmark testing. see how the stats compare to other ones.

I clicked on the "Submit and Compare", and it landed above a 3600X and 10600k? How accurate is the benchmark in cpu-z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Yeah, they generate heat. My Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB gets reasonably hotter and so did my G.SKILL Trident RGB.

Actually regret getting these Corsair. The colour consistency at white is horrible.
I'm having issues with white as well. I'm probably going to return these heatspreaders. Good thing I tested them before installing them.
The fans and AIO match up well, and look white in person (despite looking purple in the photo). But the heatspreaders are a baby blue, despite looking white in the photo. lol
But regardless, everything is set to white and the RAM heatspreaders are being the misfit.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #6656
Say! Say! Say!

It's common for white to look a little off on RGB products unless there's a dedicated white LED.

By colour consistency, I meant that the white is not consistent across a few of the sticks.

I also kind of assumed by buying Corsair branded RAM, it'd at least be close to the rest of the Corsair lineup.

I have Corsair fans and water cooling equipment and while these match, the RAM has a different tint even after tinkering it software side.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:45 AM   #6657
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
So is anyone gaming with their 3080?

I gave my father a 3080 to game with, and it CTDs in BFV every game, or twice a game, and it's annoying him to death

I looked into it, and apparently the capacitors being used are crappy on the 3080s (mlccc vs spcaps), so I looked for a 3080 with the most mlcc's and my msi suprim has mlccs on 5/6 sets of caps, so I swapped 3080s for him, and it still crashes all the time

I tried downclocking too, but it still crashes

Any ideas? Could it just be his cpu/mem/mb are too old?

He's running an i7 3770k lga 1155, 1000w psu, 8gb ram

Actually now that I've typed out his components thst does seem really old
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #6658

I have a 3770 too, it's still a pretty powerful CPU but it's from 2012.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #6659
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

I gave my father a 3080 to game with, and it CTDs in BFV every game, or twice a game, and it's annoying him to death

I looked into it, and apparently the capacitors being used are crappy on the 3080s (mlccc vs spcaps), so I looked for a 3080 with the most mlcc's and my msi suprim has mlccs on 5/6 sets of caps, so I swapped 3080s for him, and it still crashes all the time

I game with mine, it's been pretty good. The only issue I have with it is one program that's not a game and takes very little processing power, GGPoker. I never had issues before but since switching to the 3080 now I'll play for 30 minutes all my monitors go black 15 seconds later come back and GGPoker is still running but I can't see it anymore have to manually close it and restart super pain in the ass.

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling different drivers ect... can't seem to fix it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #6660

He wants to upgrade to the latest cpu/mb now cuz he thinks it'll fix his problems

But I wonder if it's just a bfV issue, since he says he doesn't have a problem with other games, but bfV is his fav

Bleh
Old 02-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #6661
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:

The cap issue was driver related and fixed shortly after the card's release.

Must be an issue with his system if he's crashing regularly with two different cards.

Could try a reformat.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #6662
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I don't think his CPU meets BFV min. requirements right? Or maybe a cheaper fix could be more RAM?

I'm on a 3080 and haven't come across any issues yet. Haven't tried BFV, but also have a new gen build.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #6663

Like he doesn't have issues with bfV when he used his older video cards, it's only after the 3080

But yeah I guess I'm going to have to get over there and give his pc a once over, it's probably filled with bugs, reg errors, trojans n viruses too, knowing him
Old 02-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #6664
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Like he doesn't have issues with bfV when he used his older video cards, it's only after the 3080

But yeah I guess I'm going to have to get over there and give his pc a once over, it's probably filled with bugs, reg errors, trojans n viruses too, knowing him
Try clean install driver.

Please, try to use DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html

Good luck!!
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #6665

I ran /scannow fix and it fixed errors, and was booting into safemode on his computer to run ddu, but the computer wouldn't reboot anymore gave me 0xc00000f error and regardless of the solutions to fix that boot error, it wouldn't boot into windows anymore (got an access deny error with the cmd prompt fixes)

So I just reinstalled windows for him, tested out bfV and it hasn't crashed at all
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 AM   #6666

A little update, he's been running without issue, and even upped bfV settings to max, and it's been running fine (hurray)

And oddly... I decided to use the Windows 10 boot USB I used for him, on my new rig, and I'm getting an 0xc00000f error trying to install win10 on an empty ssd

Wth

It's as if it were a virus that moved into my USB stick, had to format and remake a boot stick

Last edited by StylinRed; 02-19-2021 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #6667

Feels insanely nice on 360hz monitor.

a huge change in smoothness, i thought youtube reviews were BS paid reviews till i tried it just this moment in cs go.

oh my gosh, 100% if you got a high refresh monitor get it...frickin love it.

the aim tracing with it feels more connected, so the game felt completely different in aim in a good way, This is coming from 1000 polling rate to 8000hz

Last edited by Mr.Money; 02-19-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #6668
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
There's literally only one mouse that exists that has the button layout and that's the Logitech G300S

It's just a basic mouse though, so won't have all the features like high DPI, weights, etc. I don't know if it holds me back or not

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #6669

^^^ yeah it's very dumb the extra 2 clickers on the right side of your hand with this new razer mouse... feels super awkward trying to press them yet the thumb use on the left is ez af. what normal use is for a mouse is.

wouldn't trust the right in a clutch play moment... That's for sure.

most pro's use the left clickers for reloading...so they won't take their hand off the keyboard in any sense.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 02-19-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #6670
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Yeah my friend gave me one of the new expensive Logitech mice, and I kept hitting the thumb button by accident. I couldn't get used to it so passed it on to my brother... But I do like thumb buttons, it would be good for crouch spam in Apex. They have to be placed where you normally don't rest your thumb though.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:20 PM   #6671
Say! Say! Say!

I'm currently using a G305 and it's been great.

I personally only really need five buttons my mouse. Traditional three buttons + left side buttons for forward/back when web browsing + binds for games.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:10 AM   #6672
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
^^^ yeah it's very dumb the extra 2 clickers on the right side of your hand with this new razer mouse... feels super awkward trying to press them yet the thumb use on the left is ez af. what normal use is for a mouse is.

wouldn't trust the right in a clutch play moment... That's for sure.

most pro's use the left clickers for reloading...so they won't take their hand off the keyboard in any sense.

Right side buttons only exist cause it's an ambidextrous mouse. Probably not really meant to be used if you're right handed.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #6673

I still use my 10+ year old Logitech G500 and G600. I like the feel and button layout of my wifes Corsair M90 but I just can't give up the infinity scroll.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #6674

wtf they got a 4k 144hz monitor..
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27...gaming-monitor

would probly need an intense computer, like 3800x, 3090 rtx....

would fucking rock.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #6675
Say! Say! Say!

I use a 49" LG NANO85 as my main monitor with my RTX 3080. It supports HDMI 2.1 so it has support for 120Hz with VRR.

I play all my FPS games at 1440p windowed and it scales equivalently to a 32" 1440p monitor. For all other games that don't require as much resources or fast reaction, I'll play them at 4K full screened and they run pretty well.

I think if you have the space, you can't go wrong with a large television as a monitor these days.

I use this same monitor for work and it's nice that I can split the display into four quadrants that are equivalent to 24" 1080p. It's definitely made a huge difference when I need to have multiple applications up on the screen.