REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #6701
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Yeah, you can easily sell it at cost even if used or even more.
I just don't know if I wanna put it on FB Marketplace or Craigslist during these times
Advertisement
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #6702
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Ugh... I kind of regret buying new parts for my PC.
By the time I get a gpu for it, either I could have gotten newer parts with the same money or spent even less getting the same parts I bought, since most of them are prev gen stuff.
Would be a different story if I was actually using it at the very least.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #6703
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Pardon my ignorance, but why is everyone stressing out and signing up for discord announcements and trying to beat bots / scalpers online when you can walk into a store and put down a deposit / enter a wait list and receive it a week or two later?

As far as I know, that is what my brother did recently to get his hands on a 3080. It was either at Canada Computers or Memory Express. He started streaming with a 3080 like 2 weeks later (or less). I was quite surprised how quickly he got it.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #6704
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
That's because the usual wait time could be up to a month or longer... he got really lucky I guess getting it within 2 weeks.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #6705

I've paid in full for a 3080 through Canada Computer and it's been 2 months already.
Retrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #6706
G
Banned (BBM)

Also, I think Canada Computers / Mem Express charge a little bit more than what Best Buy charges sometimes
Old 02-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #6707
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I just don't know if I wanna put it on FB Marketplace or Craigslist during these times
Just sell it on here. I will buy off you if you are willing to ship.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #6708
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrac View Post
I've paid in full for a 3080 through Canada Computer and it's been 2 months already.
had to wait 4 months

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #6709

Hmmm ok, sorry then, I don't know :S

My brother texted me asking me to go place a deposit for him (I live like a block away from both Memory Express and Canada Computers by Metro). But he ended up coming by to do it himself.

Before I knew it, I saw him streaming Cyberpunk with his new 3080. So I assumed it wasn't THAT hard to obtain one xD

EDIT: also, if I'm not mistaken, both places do price matching no? Or one of them does, I can't remember. I bought a bunch of stuff from Canada Computers at the beginning of 2020 for my build, and I vaguely remember getting a price match on something.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #6710
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
They only do price-matching on in-stock items... and these are never in-stock so the price matching is of no use. Your brother got lucky then. Who knows.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #6711
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If you want to exercise try fitvr it a punching work out game I use every day. if you really want to box check out the thrill of the fight.
Haven't bought fitVR yet, but I was playing the demo of Creed: Rise to Glory and it really got my heartbeat going.

There's another boxing game called Thrill of the Fight that I might get since it's only $12 and I've heard good things about it. Even Dana White was talking about it on Instagram.

I have Xbox Game Pass, so I tried Tetris Effects VR and it was amazing too. Downloading FS2020 now and gonna give it a try.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #6712
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
Hmmm ok, sorry then, I don't know :S

My brother texted me asking me to go place a deposit for him (I live like a block away from both Memory Express and Canada Computers by Metro). But he ended up coming by to do it himself.

Before I knew it, I saw him streaming Cyberpunk with his new 3080. So I assumed it wasn't THAT hard to obtain one xD

EDIT: also, if I'm not mistaken, both places do price matching no? Or one of them does, I can't remember. I bought a bunch of stuff from Canada Computers at the beginning of 2020 for my build, and I vaguely remember getting a price match on something.
Do you know what 3080 model he went with?
Canada Computers aren't taking backorders. MemEx is taking 1 order / person but you have to pick 1 model and it's a crapshoot in when you'll get it cause it's kind of like a lottery. If the model you pick comes in and you're at the top of the queue, then you get called first. If you happen to pick a rare or discontinued model (cause some models have been), you could be waiting indefinitely without even knowing that gpu is never coming.

Some people have theories on EVGA being shipped to stores more often, but it's not from any credible source.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #6713
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Looks like Canada Computers and Newegg are getting some stock on the R5 5600X!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Do you know what 3080 model he went with?
Canada Computers aren't taking backorders. MemEx is taking 1 order / person but you have to pick 1 model and it's a crapshoot in when you'll get it cause it's kind of like a lottery. If the model you pick comes in and you're at the top of the queue, then you get called first. If you happen to pick a rare or discontinued model (cause some models have been), you could be waiting indefinitely without even knowing that gpu is never coming.

Some people have theories on EVGA being shipped to stores more often, but it's not from any credible source.
Just confirmed with him, he did in fact buy from Canada Computers. He got a MSI 3080. (Didn't ask him for specific SKU/model though)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #6715

Quote:
Haven't bought fitVR yet, but I was playing the demo of Creed: Rise to Glory and it really got my heartbeat going.

There's another boxing game called Thrill of the Fight that I might get since it's only $12 and I've heard good things about it. Even Dana White was talking about it on Instagram.

I have Xbox Game Pass, so I tried Tetris Effects VR and it was amazing too. Downloading FS2020 now and gonna give it a try.
Thrill of the fight is awesome. It's great being able to beat the fuck out of some one. Just make sure you have enough room. Both my controllers have cracks in them.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:12 AM   #6716
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Anyone have an updated link? I think the invite expired
Old 02-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #6717
RS controls my life!

A few that I use

StockRadar
https://discord.gg/ExHyHb9J expire in 7 days

Stock Stalker
https://discord.gg/eH4TDhZ4 expire in 1 day

Falcodrin (USA)
https://discord.gg/WWMg6U4b expire in 7 days
209.247.83.192:27015
JackAss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #6718
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Has anyone ran a 8700k with integrated graphics? I kind of want to move my 3080 down to my basement mining rig.

Was curious if the 8700k would be fine for watching Netflix and browsing. I don't game as much anymore, so was going to put the 3080 to use in my basement.

I'll probably get a less hardcore gpu for my gaming pc like a 3060 non-ti when stock becomes available.
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #6719
Say! Say! Say!

Integrated is fine for pretty much anything but heavier gaming.

Even light gaming is possible if you tone down the settings and resolution.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #6720
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
have a zotac 3090 trinity for 2.4k before taxes if anyone wants in the next hour or so.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:23 AM   #6721
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
scammy fucks.

newegg has a ton of 5600x's in stock if anyone is looking.... the downside is they include a shitty 550 watt psu or a crap computer case with it as a Combo.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #6722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
scammy fucks.

newegg has a ton of 5600x's in stock if anyone is looking.... the downside is they include a shitty 550 watt psu or a crap computer case with it as a Combo.
They do that to keep away the scalpers.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #6723
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Subscribing to this thread!

I just recently started getting into PC building/upgrading since I had a bit more time due to Covid... so I'm super new at this. Just started watching a ton of random YouTube videos to figure shit out as I go along lol.
So I guess right now is not a good time to upgrade to a new graphics card cuz of a shortage? Is it because cryptominers are scooping them all up or what?

I'm currently using i5-8400 and AMD Radeon 7950. Google says the video card was released 9 years ago, I guess that's pretty old?
It's kind of overwhelming figuring out all the model numbers of the hundreds of GPU's out there.
I thought 7-950 meant it was 7th generation and model is 950.
Why is a Radeon 570 a newer and better card? It's a lower number both generation and model... so confusing ...

When I have some time I'll peruse through the last few pages of this thread in more detail.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #6724

If you have a target goal in mind (IE certain games, or software for work), or a budget in mind, I'm sure plenty of knowledgeable people here can point you in the right direction

I haven't followed AMD at all, so their CPU and Graphic card names fly over my head xD

Intel and Nvidia have fairly easy to follow naming conventions, if you aren't building dedicated rendering machines or servers that might use different CPU/GPUs.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #6725
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Subscribing to this thread!

I just recently started getting into PC building/upgrading since I had a bit more time due to Covid... so I'm super new at this. Just started watching a ton of random YouTube videos to figure shit out as I go along lol.
So I guess right now is not a good time to upgrade to a new graphics card cuz of a shortage? Is it because cryptominers are scooping them all up or what?

I'm currently using i5-8400 and AMD Radeon 7950. Google says the video card was released 9 years ago, I guess that's pretty old?
It's kind of overwhelming figuring out all the model numbers of the hundreds of GPU's out there.
I thought 7-950 meant it was 7th generation and model is 950.
Why is a Radeon 570 a newer and better card? It's a lower number both generation and model... so confusing ...

When I have some time I'll peruse through the last few pages of this thread in more detail.
What are you looking to play and at what resolution and quality? That will determine the video card that you should buy.

Now is a really shitty time to get a video card unless you pay the scalper tax, but Memory Express and Canada Computers are still taking preorders for certain models. Just no clue on how long you'll have to wait. Could be a few weeks or a few months.

If you're not in a rush, you could wait until the mining craze subsides and supply is better. That could take anywhere from 6 to 12 months though.

Alternatively, if you're open to the idea of a laptop, that could also work. The new ASUS Zephyrus G15 is coming out and looking to be one hell of a laptop.