REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #6726
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
It's relatively easier to get a GPU when buying a prebuilt system from a larger supplier. Since you're planning on building from scratch, that might be the best way to go.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #6727
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
I def wouldn't go the laptop route if you're building a PC.

You won't really have any ability to upgrade for the most part.

Adding a new GPU down the line, more RAM, and perhaps a new CPU will generally add years onto your build.

I was able to extend my last build for about 10 years using that method, with a laptop, you can't.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #6728
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Considering the cost of GPUs nowadays, deals like these aren't half-bad. Add more RAM, and better cooling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalesca...1tb_hdd_512gb/
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #6729
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I guess I'll just sit on my Radeon 7950 for the next little while, it still works fine.
I just recently got a really good deal on a Samsung Odyssey G7 monitor but I don't think my current setup can push the monitor to it's full potential - 1440p, 240hz.
I chatted with a sales rep from Memory Express last week and he said pretty much anything he has in stock at the moment would not be a significant upgrade on my current graphics card so it wouldn't be worth buying. Pretty nice and honest dude.

I do need another computer for work, simple stuff like web browsing, MS office, a bit of photoshop. I might just build a basic PC for now without a GPU. Then when GPU prices come back down to earth I'll get a nicer one for myself and put my old one in the work PC.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #6730
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I guess I'll just sit on my Radeon 7950 for the next little while, it still works fine.
I just recently got a really good deal on a Samsung Odyssey G7 monitor but I don't think my current setup can push the monitor to it's full potential - 1440p, 240hz.
I chatted with a sales rep from Memory Express last week and he said pretty much anything he has in stock at the moment would not be a significant upgrade on my current graphics card so it wouldn't be worth buying. Pretty nice and honest dude.

I do need another computer for work, simple stuff like web browsing, MS office, a bit of photoshop. I might just build a basic PC for now without a GPU. Then when GPU prices come back down to earth I'll get a nicer one for myself and put my old one in the work PC.
If you get memory express to build you a new computer you will have a better chance at getting a GPU. A relative was able to walk into memx last week and get a 3070 because they were getting them to build the whole computer.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00115120
Old 03-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #6731
Ebisu Boss

That's way more than I need though. I'm thinking at most I'll probably look for a 3060 Ti
I didn't even think about the power too. My current card is a 8+6 pin, so I have to be wary about that when I get a new card too right? I'll need the same pin pattern?

Also I have no idea what my PSU is, it might be a very low end one.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #6732
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
It's kind of overwhelming figuring out all the model numbers of the hundreds of GPU's out there.
I thought 7-950 meant it was 7th generation and model is 950.
Why is a Radeon 570 a newer and better card? It's a lower number both generation and model... so confusing ...

When I have some time I'll peruse through the last few pages of this thread in more detail.
Anyone can briefly explain this or it's just random numbers being thrown out by the manufacturers?

Also side note I've started watching a few PC focused YouTube channels, BitWit (I find him the more entertaining than dudes just rambling off specs), JayZ2Cents (has good beginner friendly tips) and Linus Tech Tips. I just found out Linus is based in Vancouver, I think he lives in Surrey? It shows he's the #1 YouTuber in PC category (13.1m subscribers), that's quite the accomplishment for a local guy.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #6733

Quote:
Anyone can briefly explain this or it's just random numbers being thrown out by the manufacturers?
You got it boss. They just make whatever name they want. XT, Ti, ABCDEF SE... all marketing wank. They can "reboot" the generations whenever they want too.

They went from 7xxx gen to the RX xxx gen, hence why the numbers changed. And now they went from the RX 5xx series to the new RX 6xxx series and added an extra digit.
fml
Old 03-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #6734
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
what was the deal ? this is the same monitor Im eyeing if I stick with 1440p lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #6735
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Is it just me or has canadacomputers website been down for a couple days now?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:15 PM   #6736
G
Banned (BBM)

Anyone have recommendations for monitor arms? I have one LG ultrawide and looking for adding maybe 1 or 2 vertical monitors to the side but not sure if there are any good arms
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #6737
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Is it just me or has canadacomputers website been down for a couple days now?
Their retarded IT department is blocking IP ranges because of bots.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2021, 05:19 AM   #6738
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
That's way more than I need though. I'm thinking at most I'll probably look for a 3060 Ti
I didn't even think about the power too. My current card is a 8+6 pin, so I have to be wary about that when I get a new card too right? I'll need the same pin pattern?

Also I have no idea what my PSU is, it might be a very low end one.
It's recommended you get a 600W-650W for a 3060 Ti. You can probably get by with 550W if you get one of the entry models, but that's cutting it close. As for pins, most 3060 Ti use 8 pins, some of the top models use 8+6 or 8+8. But your PSU probably has 2x 6+2 pins, meaning you can do 8+6 or 8+8... so you probably don't need to worry about it.

Quote:
I'm not as familiar with AMD, but it's been fairly easy for Nvidia's.
First 2 digits is the generation (or series), and last 2 digits is the model.
3060, 30 series, model 60 (entry one).

The past several years, there's been 10 series, 20 series, 30 series, so that's pretty self explanatory. Then the model numbers range from 50-90. Any "Super" suffix mean it's a slightly better model. "TI" means it's even better (than Super).

So RTX 2080 < RTX 2080 Super < RTX 2080 TI

Not all models will have a Super and TI version, some may have either or, or maybe none at all. This part is random, and neither do the models get released in any chronological order. Such as 3060 TI came out before 3060. Also, there's no formula on the increments of performance between a normal vs super vs TI version. So you'll have to do your research to find the best value.

There's also a lot of overlap, like a higher model of a previous gen would be faster than an entry model of a newer gen, so you can't really assume anything. The best way is to use this site:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...roup-/4049vs10
And enter in the two gpu's in question and see which one's better.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-21-2021 at 05:26 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #6739

Thanked 8,919 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Anyone have recommendations for monitor arms? I have one LG ultrawide and looking for adding maybe 1 or 2 vertical monitors to the side but not sure if there are any good arms
I've got the desk clamp triple mount from PrimeCables for 3x 24", it works well.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 03-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #6740
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Considering the cost of GPUs nowadays, deals like these aren't half-bad. Add more RAM, and better cooling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalesca...1tb_hdd_512gb/
I've been looking at this. The GPU alone is worth it. I don't know much about computers except that it's been hell sourcing parts lately.

I just want to watch 4k videos on my 4k monitors, do some light video/photo editing/InDesign/illustrator, and play warzone/racing sims

Would this work for me

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #6741

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I've been looking at this. The GPU alone is worth it. I don't know much about computers except that it's been hell sourcing parts lately.

I just want to watch 4k videos on my 4k monitors, do some light video/photo editing/InDesign/illustrator, and play warzone/racing sims

Would this work for me

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Yes it would work great. I'd add more RAM and potentially better cooling as some Dell configurations come with the stock cooler which is not good.
fml
Old 03-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #6742
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
what was the deal ? this is the same monitor Im eyeing if I stick with 1440p lol
It was $100 off on Memory Express, but I've been dealing with problems with it now. Screen goes blank by itself at random times. I have to unplug and plug the monitor back in to get the screen back. I did some more research and it seems there are others having this issue too. I might return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
It's recommended you get a 600W-650W for a 3060 Ti. You can probably get by with 550W if you get one of the entry models, but that's cutting it close. As for pins, most 3060 Ti use 8 pins, some of the top models use 8+6 or 8+8. But your PSU probably has 2x 6+2 pins, meaning you can do 8+6 or 8+8... so you probably don't need to worry about it.
I thought with newer GPUs being more powerful they would need more pins to draw more power?
Why does my old AMD 7950 requires 14 (8+6) pins but the new 3060 and 3070 only requires 8 pins total?

So if I was to get a RTX3060, I would ONLY plug in the 8pin and tuck away the 6pin?
This is all so confusing.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #6743
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
It was $100 off on Memory Express, but I've been dealing with problems with it now. Screen goes blank by itself at random times. I have to unplug and plug the monitor back in to get the screen back. I did some more research and it seems there are others having this issue too. I might return it.

I thought with newer GPUs being more powerful they would need more pins to draw more power?
Why does my old AMD 7950 requires 14 (8+6) pins but the new 3060 and 3070 only requires 8 pins total?

So if I was to get a RTX3060, I would ONLY plug in the 8pin and tuck away the 6pin?
more calculation powa =/= draw more powa.
It is more efficient with new architecture
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #6744
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:

7950 is ancient compared to modern cards. Newer tech is faster and way more power efficient. There's also a lot of other things that offer performance improvements over old tech. I was on dual 7950s up until last year before moving to a RX590. Performance is better, and I also get variable sync and lower power consumption.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:18 AM   #6745
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-e...graphics-cards

little bit gain in fps... update your motherboard bios,Latest gpu driver, than GPU bios in product & model support page on you're card brand.

than enable "resizable bar" now visible in bios menu on restart...

boom, you should now see this Nvidia control panel>system information >Yes!

VALORANT seems more stable in fps surprisingly.

max fps: 400

and it almost stays there the entire time, that i love on a 360hz monitor...felt damn good rushing in site and getting people.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 03-31-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #6746
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
You need the right CPU though... AMD only supports it with the 5xxx series that just came out and nobody can get. I'm pretty sure technically the 3xxx can support it.

I tried enabling it just to see, and it can't find my hard drives when I do.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #6747

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
This does not seem like a bad deal. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...glish/15338021

More expensive then a dell but it uses standard PC parts unlike a Dell.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #6748
Meow

Sorry guys gone now! Met up with G or his friend off of here and they picked it up today.

Last edited by Araaadi; 04-21-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #6749
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Anyone want this at cost? I didn’t even pick it up yet but it’s ready for me at Memory Express.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00114818
I think Obsidian is still looking for one?

I could use it, but it wouldn't be for gaming
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #6750
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Anyone want this at cost? I didn’t even pick it up yet but it’s ready for me at Memory Express.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00114818
if no one else wants it, i can take it off your hands. wifey video card died recently and i can't even get my hands on one lately and she doesn't want me to spend over a grand for her card lol so only 3060 and 3060ti fits the bill
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote