REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #251
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,172
Thanked 1,678 Times in 529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Twas lame.

She'll go nowhere. Great voice, don't get me wrong, but yippie! There is just nothing that excites me.

The more I watched, maybe chris would have been a btter choice. Weaker singing, but more to the story. At least he'd sing from the heart.

Posted via RS Mobile
^Must.. not.. fail..

The results are exactly as it should've been. Very satisfied with the results.

Everyone says Melanie lacks character. But look at Leona Lewis. All she had was a voice. And she's gone way over platinum. Sometimes talent outshines all the production in the world.

Melanie may not excite you, but she sure excited the majority of the voters. Why else did she win? You can't watch her winning song and say she wasn't singing from her heart.

No, X Factor is not all about singing. But seriously, Chris could NOT sing at ALL. I'm wondering if there's a song he sang where he hit at least half the notes. He also has no musical identity. Paula says he's the most "original," that's because he doesn't have a genre! Seriously, this guy went from Bob Marley to Avril Lavigne.

Yeah, he's clean and sober now, yadda, yadda. Now if he really wanted to make the transition into music, why didn't he invest into proper singing lessons? I work with people who want it so bad that they live off of canned foods just so they can afford lessons and studio time. Of course hearing their stories, I always give them a big discount, or even work for free if I really believe in them.

Having said that, I did gain some respect for Chris after seeing his reaction and his hometown video. I hope this guy stays on track.

I really think Josh's 5 million dollar song was too stripped down. Yes, it's authentic, but with that big of a prize on the line, you can't be putting your acoustic guitar against a full live backing band paired with Melanie's freak of a voice.

Win or lose, all 3 of them will have careers in music. Very happy with the results.
Advertisement
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 12-22-2011 at 11:10 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #252
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,111
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,176 Posts
^try sitting on the couch watching it with someone that has that opinion....

I wish Josh would have won, but the right person did win.

And, I agree...all three will have a music career.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #253
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,172
Thanked 1,678 Times in 529 Posts
Yeah, I really liked Josh too, but he had a better shot than Melanie at getting signed without winning, so I'm very happy that Melanie won.

I know people who eat, sleep, and breathe music.. they get their work hours in to put a roof over their head and food in their stomachs, and the rest of their time and money goes towards music. These are the people I truly admire. This is also why I never jumped onto the Chris Rene bandwagon. If he wants it as bad as he says he does, why didn't he take proper singing lessons? But again, my respect has grown for Chris, and I really wish him the best. I'm sure his one hit wonder will give him enough financial stability to raise his kid properly.
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #254
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
donjalapeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Guadalajara
Posts: 4,454
Thanked 4,995 Times in 1,108 Posts
fuck i really wanted josh to win. His voice has a unique vibe that i really like.

Melanie has a great voice but shes boring as hell. Sounds like every other female singer
__________________
Your Honda Sales Guy! PM for RS Discount.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #255
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 239
Thanked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Well that Diva attitude that Melanie displayed in the last page, she needed the record deal more then Chis and Josh. Imagine working with a artist that thinks she is better then everybody else even before she has a album yet.
I have a good feeling that Chris will do fine, he already has enough material to release his first album. And there are rumours about a LoveLife clothing line. As long as he sticks with Rap/Hip Hop music, he will do fine. Hopefully he can get some collabro songs with Kanye or Jay-Z... Im sure LA Reid can make something happen.
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #256
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancity
Posts: 465
Thanked 526 Times in 136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
^Must.. not.. fail..

The results are exactly as it should've been. Very satisfied with the results.

Everyone says Melanie lacks character. But look at Leona Lewis. All she had was a voice. And she's gone way over platinum. Sometimes talent outshines all the production in the world.

Melanie may not excite you, but she sure excited the majority of the voters. Why else did she win? You can't watch her winning song and say she wasn't singing from her heart.

No, X Factor is not all about singing. But seriously, Chris could NOT sing at ALL. I'm wondering if there's a song he sang where he hit at least half the notes. He also has no musical identity. Paula says he's the most "original," that's because he doesn't have a genre! Seriously, this guy went from Bob Marley to Avril Lavigne.

Yeah, he's clean and sober now, yadda, yadda. Now if he really wanted to make the transition into music, why didn't he invest into proper singing lessons? I work with people who want it so bad that they live off of canned foods just so they can afford lessons and studio time. Of course hearing their stories, I always give them a big discount, or even work for free if I really believe in them.

Having said that, I did gain some respect for Chris after seeing his reaction and his hometown video. I hope this guy stays on track.

I really think Josh's 5 million dollar song was too stripped down. Yes, it's authentic, but with that big of a prize on the line, you can't be putting your acoustic guitar against a full live backing band paired with Melanie's freak of a voice.

Win or lose, all 3 of them will have careers in music. Very happy with the results.

Not to sound like a shallow dick, cause I like Melanie, I respect her amazing singing ability. But Leona Lewis has gone multi-platinum not only because she can sing, but because she is hot. Same goes for Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, (during certain periods of their career), etc.
And on that front, Melanie is so far from them, she's on another planet.
X-Factor is about finding an all round entertainer. Current big artists these days make it big because their music's good, they're entertaining on and off the stage, and as sad as it is, for women because they look good. Melanie's got the voice, but nothing else. Great to listen to, but a pain to watch, and a pain to watch her talk.

Chris Renee is not the best singer, but still better live than majority of the current artists out there. And studio magic means that he'd be great on audio.

IMO 1st and 2nd should have been Josh or Chris, and 3rd Melanie.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #257
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 239
Thanked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
Not to sound like a shallow dick, cause I like Melanie, I respect her amazing singing ability. But Leona Lewis has gone multi-platinum not only because she can sing, but because she is hot. Same goes for Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, (during certain periods of their career), etc.
And on that front, Melanie is so far from them, she's on another planet.
X-Factor is about finding an all round entertainer. Current big artists these days make it big because their music's good, they're entertaining on and off the stage, and as sad as it is, for women because they look good. Melanie's got the voice, but nothing else. Great to listen to, but a pain to watch, and a pain to watch her talk.

Chris Renee is not the best singer, but still better live than majority of the current artists out there. And studio magic means that he'd be great on audio.

IMO 1st and 2nd should have been Josh or Chris, and 3rd Melanie.
I couldn't agree with you more... How many American Idol winners have made it big??! Melanie has a great voice, but you cant make it big by singing other people's music.
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #258
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Splmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,409
Thanked 641 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
I couldn't agree with you more... How many American Idol winners have made it big??! Melanie has a great voice, but you cant make it big by singing other people's music.
Seconded.

If I was allowed to allocate the top 3, it would've been this:
1) Josh 2) Chris 3) Melanie

If this was American Idol, it would be Melanie then Josh, with Chris not even making it to the live shows.

As cheesy as this sounds, Chris Rene had the X Factor.
__________________
i bleed indigo.
Splmash is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #259
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,172
Thanked 1,678 Times in 529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
Not to sound like a shallow dick, cause I like Melanie, I respect her amazing singing ability. But Leona Lewis has gone multi-platinum not only because she can sing, but because she is hot. Same goes for Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, (during certain periods of their career), etc.

Chris Renee is not the best singer, but still better live than majority of the current artists out there. And studio magic means that he'd be great on audio.

I was using Leona as an example. Melanie is not the same kind of artist Mariah and Christina are. If we're talking looks, I'm going to go ahead and throw Adele and Fantasia into the mix.

Chris Rene better live than majority of current artists..? He couldn't even hit half the notes in any of his songs. And really, who couldn't be great with studio magic? Again, if Chris was actually serious about music, I'm wondering why he didn't invest in proper lessons. I'm sorry, maybe I'm just old school. Sometimes I work with people like Rene that just pisses me off. They come in with a mediocre song they wrote thinking its going to be huge, and their vocals sound like shit. Then they give me the "well can't you just autotune it?"

The only reason why I respect Rene is because of his story and that he's getting his shit together from the position he was in. Maybe he should've waited a season and used this year to learn how to sing properly.

Josh was actually devoting his life towards music. Money, time, everything. I wouldn't have minded if Josh won too. But hell, all 3 of them are never going to have to work a day in their lives again. I'm truly happy for all 3 of them.

God, I can't wait for Idol where true talent doesn't get shadowed by the ability to jump around the stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
I couldn't agree with you more... How many American Idol winners have made it big??! Melanie has a great voice, but you cant make it big by singing other people's music.
Many Idol winners have made it big..? Clay Aiken, Adam Lambert, Carrie Underwood, David Archuleta, Fantasia, Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry..
Even the lesser known Idols are not HUGE, but their salaries are still in the high 6 - low 7 figures. David Cook, Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen..
Just because we don't hear a lot of them up here doesn't mean they're not doing well. The past Idols are ALWAYS played in the states.

Here in Canada we have our music laws where every Canadian TV and Radio station must play at least 40% Canadian music, so the 60% is filled with the American A-listers like Usher, Beyonce, Ne-yo, etc.

Regarding singing other people's music. That's what these competitions are for. Singing songs from artists in your genre so they know who you are as an artist. I'm pretty sure they made exceptions for Astro and Rene, or else everyone claiming to be a singer/songwriter would be singing a damn original.
Unless they REALLY know how to write (and even big A-listers don't), most artists don't write all their own material for their albums. At least not for their first album. That's what songwriters are for. Performing/singing and songwriting are two completely different arts.
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 12-23-2011 at 08:18 AM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #260
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 239
Thanked 71 Times in 37 Posts
^^
I completely understand that you really appreciate Melanie's voice but this isn't what XFactor should be about. She won the wrong competition, every contestant from Josh to Rachel had something unique about them. And when the competition auditions started it looked like this show was going to be won by someone that had more to bring to the table then a main stream voice. And maybe Simon saw that when she got cut at the judges house. Anyways, I'm sure she will be successful.... Maybe doing Gospel as that's seems where her roots are from.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by hillmar; 12-23-2011 at 10:50 AM.
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #261
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,111
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,176 Posts
I thought Canadian content law was 20%?

Did they change it to 40%?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #262
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,172
Thanked 1,678 Times in 529 Posts
It's at least 30% for sure right now.. maybe 35%. I think it'll be 40% in the new year.
I'll have to double check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
^^
I completely understand that you really appreciate Melanie's voice but this isn't what XFactor should be about. She won the wrong competition, every contestant from Josh to Rachel had something unique about them. And when the competition auditions started it looked like this show was going to be won by someone that had more to bring to the table then a main stream voice. And maybe Simon saw that when she got cut at the judges house. Anyways, I'm sure she will be successful.... Maybe doing Gospel as that's seems where her roots are from.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah, I guess I'm getting too old school lol. Maybe it's just refreshing for me to see real talent again through all the over-produced stuff right now.

Hell, my two favourites got kicked off long ago (Leroy Bell and The Anser.. who didn't even make it to live shows.)

Like I said earlier, Melanie was all talent and no marketability. Chris was all marketability and no talent. Josh had both. I guess from this perspective, Josh would've been the "right person" to win.

I agree then Melanie won't be "HUGE." But she'll be sticking around for a long time. She'll have one, maybe two smash hits (Bleeding Love, anyone?). Then she'll fade into the background along with Leona and the past American Idols.
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 12-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #263
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: vancityy
Posts: 213
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
shocked that chris came 3rd =O

but melanie was all talent, from being voted off Simon's top 4 and him realizing he made a mistake , asked her to come back , and came out to the top winning the 5 mil. God is on her side

they are all winners in my view, even if they didnt win first prize . all the publicity and stuff will get them far in the future.
robotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #264
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Paula, Nicole and that annoying host.

All fired.

__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #265
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,150
Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,172 Posts
AWW YEAH
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #266
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
chin3se604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,729
Thanked 1,391 Times in 270 Posts
good riddance... the host was horrible, Paula & Nicole couldn't even judge

Last edited by chin3se604; 02-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
chin3se604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #267
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch
 
fliptuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 20,335
Thanked 13,193 Times in 3,596 Posts
The host sucked, Paula was flakey as ever and Nicole straight fucked up on Cheryl Crowe's vote.
__________________
feedback

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad


RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #268
How I Mod your mother
 
!Yaminashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 13,671
Thanked 968 Times in 474 Posts
Glad Nicole is gone, a judge shouldnt let her emotions get the best of her. I mean c'mon, letting fucking Dexter through but not Tiger..

Not saying Tiger was amazing, but a hell of a lot better than Dexter.
__________________
Quote:
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Crayon
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #269
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
chin3se604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,729
Thanked 1,391 Times in 270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
The host sucked, Paula was flakey as ever and Nicole straight fucked up on Cheryl Crowe's vote.
don't you mean Rachel Crow
chin3se604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #270
nuggets mod
 
freakshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 6,704
Thanked 3,045 Times in 840 Posts
I know this is old, but just stumbled upon it again.. while making dinner. cutting onions to be specific.

__________________
I searched for truth, and all I found was You

'00 323i (Sold)
'01 Civic Si (Sold)
'95 240sx (Sold)
'02 LMB M5 (Sold)
'92 4Runner (Sold)
'92 Civic VX (Sold)
'03 SL500 (Sold)
'92 NSX
'99 M3 (Totalled)
'07 A4 2.0T (Sold)
'01 CB M5 (Sold)
'01 540i (Sold)
'11 535ix
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #271
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)
 
Tim Budong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Womb
Posts: 16,812
Thanked 10,861 Times in 2,126 Posts
so looks like LA Ried and Epic Records have turned Chris Rene into this

Young Homie by Chris Rene
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #272
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
TypeRNammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,305
Thanked 2,632 Times in 754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
so looks like LA Ried and Epic Records have turned Chris Rene into this

Young Homie by Chris Rene
Virgin Radio played this song the other day
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Or you meet some girl at the club, cum inside of her, find out shes only in grade 12, so you buy a Prada bag for her to make things right, she finds out the bag is a fake and decides to have the kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #273
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,610
Thanked 16,830 Times in 3,952 Posts
pretty good video, great to see he made it.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #274
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA
 
Spartacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Batiatus Ludus
Posts: 856
Thanked 187 Times in 64 Posts
happy for him =)


SEASON 2



Last edited by Spartacus; 06-10-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #275
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch
 
fliptuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 20,335
Thanked 13,193 Times in 3,596 Posts
I didn't want to start a 2013 thread cause all I really care about is that Alex and Sierra win. I pretty much only watch the show to see them perform and hope they get through to the next round.

They just make me happy when I watch them.
__________________
feedback

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad


RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net