REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #26
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

There's an S2000 parked across the street from where I live. I heard you can get condensation problems inside, which will end up freezing because of the soft top.

Is this true?
Advertisement
pk_volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Lots of them on S2Ki.com. I'm a daily driver. I'm lowered and have an Exhaust ..., not sure what the other poster means. I don't put extra weight in the back but I also don't drive if there is snow sticking on the road. That amounted last year to a week all combined. Get some all seasons on the rear and you should be fine. Just drive like it its winter.
ddonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_volt View Post
There's an S2000 parked across the street from where I live. I heard you can get condensation problems inside, which will end up freezing because of the soft top.

Is this true?
You can get this problem in any car. There is something called windows. If it gets cold enough, any moisture will freeze.

It's not just an S2k problem, but I never had it happen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I DD'd my s2k when i had it.
Its not as bad as what others have made it out to be.

Its a roadster. Youll get road/wind noise for sure. Itll be cramped, and sometimes youll with there are back seats. The trunk can be small at times, but i still managed my hockey bag in there.

i even drove it when it snowed with a good set of snow tires on. Didnt have any issues.

Would i do it again? Well if i didnt need 3 extra seats, then yes, i would.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Another S2K owner told me that it really depends on where you live too. Here in burnaby where the plows never come, I would be garage bound had I gotten the S2K. I even had problems with my integra back when I had one. Definitely screwed if there aren't already tracks made, but G37 and 135i are way worse. If I didn't need to get out of my hilly neighborhood, I would have gotten the s2k or NSX for sure
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #32
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Daily drove mine for over a year even during winter and it was fine. It has its usual 2 seater problems but the pros far outweighs the cons. Recently sold my ap2 but i will consider getting into another s in the future for sure.
Posted via RS Mobile
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #33
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan3 View Post
One suggestion is that if you plan to daily drive the s2k, do not mod it with aftermarket suspension or exhaust.
That makes absolutely no sense, if you're going to make a statement like that you better back it up with an explanation.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ebay polyurethane lip, hardcore snow tires, stock suspension = unstoppable =)
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
That makes absolutely no sense, if you're going to make a statement like that you better back it up with an explanation.
Why not? There are times I hate driving my modded s2k from point A to B because it is super uncomfortable (loud and I feel every bump on the road).
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #36
no

Thanked 6,046 Times in 1,220 Posts
^isnt that what alot of modified cars are like though? not specifically just s2000's lol
Posted via RS Mobile
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #37
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan3 View Post
Why not? There are times I hate driving my modded s2k from point A to B because it is super uncomfortable (loud and I feel every bump on the road).
That's entirely personal preference.

Well you might find the modified suspension uncomfortable and intolerable to drive from point A to B, another person might find the stock suspension frustratingly soft and lacking in performance ability. Not only that, but the ride comfort of modified suspensions varies from one to another based on spring rates and damper valving. If a person so desired, they could order shorter springs at stock rates, therefore having a modified, but comfortable suspension. The identical principles apply to exhausts. Every aftermarket exhaust has a different volume based on the diameter, routing of piping and the design of the mufflers and resonators; some, in my opinion, are obnoxiously loud, while others add a perfect growl and offer feedback from the engine.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

^well said

mind has been bombed

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #39

Quote:

Well you might find the modified suspension uncomfortable and intolerable to drive from point A to B, another person might find the stock suspension frustratingly soft and lacking in performance ability. Not only that, but the ride comfort of modified suspensions varies from one to another based on spring rates and damper valving. If a person so desired, they could order shorter springs at stock rates, therefore having a modified, but comfortable suspension. The identical principles apply to exhausts. Every aftermarket exhaust has a different volume based on the diameter, routing of piping and the design of the mufflers and resonators; some, in my opinion, are obnoxiously loud, while others add a perfect growl and offer feedback from the engine.
The S isn't designed to be a highway car, thus the gearing isn't right for highway speeds. Between 3-4K rpm's, any exhaust on the S will drone like a bitch. Part of the problem may be the design of the cabin, but off throttle it gets pretty loud.
And because of it being a convertable, regular city driving can get pretty loud with an aftermarket exhaust.

As for ride, the stock suspension is pretty stiff. AP2's come with 17's while Ap1's have 16 inch wheels. Run a sportier tire with a stiffer sidewall, and the ride get's quite bumpy quickly. If you were to run a softer sidewall tire, that would take away from the go-kart feel of the car.
If you were to change out suspension and run stiffer springs, the ride is only going to get harsher.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #40
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

just don't get an invidia n1 =)
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #41

T1R's and Amuse exhaust get pretty loud and will also drone between 3-4K rpm's.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #42

Quote:

You're absolutely right. It's just my opinion from my own setup.

To OP: Just a general observation is that I rarely see S2ks in winter time. I find myself having to be very careful even in the rain. Keep in mind earlier models (AP1) doesn't have Traction Control. My AP1 still scares me at times because of the sudden oversteer. It really is a driver's car.
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #43
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
The S isn't designed to be a highway car, thus the gearing isn't right for highway speeds. Between 3-4K rpm's, any exhaust on the S will drone like a bitch. Part of the problem may be the design of the cabin, but off throttle it gets pretty loud. And because of it being a convertable, regular city driving can get pretty loud with an aftermarket exhaust.
That all makes sense, but I'm sure an exhaust could be designed that offers a reasonable balance between volume and performance. A larger than stock diameter piping, with very conservative resonators and mufflers to keep it quietish when driving, and a bypass valve to allow for performance when one desires.

Quote:
As for ride, the stock suspension is pretty stiff. AP2's come with 17's while Ap1's have 16 inch wheels. Run a sportier tire with a stiffer sidewall, and the ride get's quite bumpy quickly. If you were to run a softer sidewall tire, that would take away from the go-kart feel of the car. If you were to change out suspension and run stiffer springs, the ride is only going to get harsher.

And no one is going to lower the S and run soft springs. That just doesn't make sense.
I don't try to make sense of what some people do to their cars, I would never sacrifice performance for styling or ride comfort, but others undoubtedly would. I'm sure there's someone out there with a S who would put 15'' wheels on just so they can run larger tires with a softer ride in exchange for detracting from performance.

I meant to say close to stock, lowering on stock rates would detract from ride quality. What I was trying to say was, low springs rates for the level of drop to maximize comfort. If that doesn't make sense, and no one would ever do that, then no one has ever installed tein s.techs on an S.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, I don't own an S so my insights aren't based on personal experience with that chassis, I'm just transferring my existing knowledge and experience with modified cars over. Hopefully, I'll be buying an S this spring though

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-08-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #44
RabidMod

Thanked 1,071 Times in 396 Posts
I've been daily driving my s2k for 3 years now.

Getting around in the snow is absolutely not an issue, provided you have snow tires. I've taken trips up to Whistler through heavy snowfall at least 3 times now and never had any problems. I've even driven 6 hours and back between Toronto and Ottawa through a blizzard and never had an issue (aside from the douchebags in their Audis and 4x4 trucks gunning it by me on the shoulder, only to end up in the ditch 15 minutes later).

Revs on the highway gets a little annoying but as long as you have a relatively quiet exhaust (or stock) it's pretty bearable. Roughly 4000rpm at 115kph in 6th on my AP1. Someone feel free to correct me on that.

It's the lack of back seats and the tiny trunk that really gets to me. It's a huge sacrifice if you don't have another car. Especially if a lot of your other friends don't have a car. It really gets in the way. More often than before, you'll have to call in favors to move anything anywhere, and most of the time you won't be driving when you go out with your coworkers or friends. You'll be "that douche with the 2 seater". I've had to get pretty creative with hauling stuff around, too many times involving popping the top open and holding stuff over my head with one hand, on a highway

Anyway despite these sacrifices it's an amazing car to drive that makes it all worth it. It's a really engaging experience and I guarantee that if you like the idea of working a gearbox for some crazy 9000rpm action, and tearing through corners on a spirited drive*, you'll like this car.

*at the TRACK! drive safe.

Last edited by RabidRat; 11-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #45

Quote:
That all makes sense, but I'm sure an exhaust could be designed that offers a reasonable balance between volume and performance. A larger than stock diameter piping, with very conservative resonators and mufflers to keep it quietish when driving, and a bypass valve to allow for performance when one desires.
This experience is on a resonated exhaust. There isn't enough piping to add more resonators.

It's like a D16 motor with an exhaust. Not much you can do to it to make it sound less like an angry bee.

Ford 302 motor's have a distinct sound, no matter what mufflers you put on it.

Quote:
I don't try to make sense of what some people do to their cars, I would never sacrifice performance for styling or ride comfort, but others undoubtedly would. I'm sure there's someone out there with a S who would put 15'' wheels on just so they can run larger tires with a softer ride in exchange for detracting from performance.

I meant to say close to stock, lowering on stock rates would detract from ride quality. What I was trying to say was, low springs rates for the level of drop to maximize comfort. If that doesn't make sense, and no one would ever do that, then no one has ever installed tein s.techs on an S.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, I don't own an S so my insights aren't based on personal experience with that chassis, I'm just transferring my existing knowledge and experience with modified cars over. Hopefully, I'll be buying an S this spring though
Well for starters, you can't run 15's on the front of the S unless you down grade your brakes.
And if someone wants a softer ride, then the S is the wrong car.

Guys who install S tech springs on their car are only after the lowered look. They are not performance oriented. But even then, a slightly stiffer spring is still stiffer than stock and will make the ride harsher. But again, those complaining that stock is too harsh shouldn't be driving an S.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I've had to get pretty creative with hauling stuff around, too many times involving popping the top open and holding stuff over my head with one hand, on a highway
Let's see. On a whim, we bought a 6x3 painting and had my wife hold the painting on her lap with part of it sticking out past the top of the windsheild with the top down.

Bought a mirror. Wife held it in front of her face the whole way home.

Bought stuff from Ikea. Drove home with the boxes and left the wife at Ikea. *Note to others* this is a really bad move on my part.

Sold an AP2 rear bumper. Half the bumper was in teh car, the other half resting on teh trunk on top of a towels with the top down. Then it started to rain as I got near the meeting spot.

With the top up, there is a bit of storage space in the back tray. Just remember to take everything out before you lower your top.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #47
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Well for starters, you can't run 15's on the front of the S unless you down grade your brakes.
People run s2000 brakes on Civics with 15'' wheels, clearance is tight, but it's possible. I'm pretty sure the same is true for an S, I don't see why it wouldn't be.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #48
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_valentinor View Post
just don't get an invidia n1 =)
That is what I have :-)
ddonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #49
My homepage has been set to RS

anyone ever bang in the S? i know at least one of you here have tried

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #50
private modder

Thanked 2,602 Times in 730 Posts
Quote:
another person might find the stock suspension frustratingly soft and lacking in performance ability.
Nobody is going to think that.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote