REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #21801
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Eat more when you are lifting heavy because you will be taxing your system of alot more substrates (that's providing you are training at the correct intensity) Calorie surplus diet will allow you to do that, and because your GLUT-4 receptors are alot more sensitive to shunting substrates back into your cells.

You're going to need to cut down on calorie intake for some days anyways, so why not do it on the days where your muscles are less active?

I have said it before, but I'll say it again, higher caloric intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight on weight training days, and lower caloric intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight. You don't want to drop your caloric intake all of a sudden because your feelings of satiety will increase from the big jump.

When I said cardio day, I really should have said light aerobic training... It really makes no fuckin sense to do 45 minute cardio session especially if your goal is still to retain lean muscle mass along the way.

just my 0.02
I don't understand the part where you said to intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for both higher and lower caloric intake... Unless you meant to say intake more/less than 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for the respective training days.

As for the GLUT-4 receptors being more sensitive to "shunting substrates back into your cells". You will only be able to "shunt" x amount into the cells. Surplus calories during a training day won't mean the cells' capacity will have increased.

Having a meal immediately after a workout will be suffice, as opposed to eating an extra 500 calories that day. If you are hungry, then sure, eat. Your body will tell you if you need more calories.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #21802
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Love this series! So much great advice
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #21803
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I keep hearing the word macro.

halp.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #21804
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Lol or maybe you just don't know wtf you're talking about, as usual?

BRB giving out nutritional advice when I don't know how to count my macros.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hey jayare, you a IFBB pro bodybuilder bro?

Because if you were, I'd highly suggest fiddling around with this new calorie/macronutrient calculator for a few hours. You can download it from the app store for only 1.99! It's so accurate you can use it to calculate the exact macronutrient proportions you need to stay lean and cut. Make sure you don't go over by 0.5 of a calorie though! Because it will definetly take its toll on your 10% bodyfat percentage.

T NATION | Carb Cycling For The Non-Counter
The Calories Myth |
Kathy Freston: The Weight Loss Hype: Why Counting Calories Never Works

I don't think i've ever said not to count your macros, or I wouldn't have suggested doing the 2calorie per bodyweight thing in the first place right? It's when people become calorie nazis, that just irritates the heck out of me. Do your estimations and such, but don't spend your whole life on that shit trying to figure out where you went wrong with your calculation...

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #21805
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

jayare604, RS's resident troll.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #21806
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #21807
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I don't understand the part where you said to intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for both higher and lower caloric intake... Unless you meant to say intake more/less than 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for the respective training days.

As for the GLUT-4 receptors being more sensitive to "shunting substrates back into your cells". You will only be able to "shunt" x amount into the cells. Surplus calories during a training day won't mean the cells' capacity will have increased.

Having a meal immediately after a workout will be suffice, as opposed to eating an extra 500 calories that day. If you are hungry, then sure, eat. Your body will tell you if you need more calories.
high calorie days on heavy resistance days. increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bodyweight. low calorie days on light/rest days to facilitate the weight loss.
Yep, a cell's capacity isn't related to insulin sensitivity at all. What I was hinting at, was that you can take advantage of this sensitivity, and up your calorie intake during this time so that your blood plasma glucose levels won't fluctuate too high as opposed to say, during a light workout day or during a rest day. If he wants to build lean muscle, he HAS to eat, and what I was just sort of recommending is to have these high calorie meals during his heavy resistance days, and building on what you have said, after a workout.

If you think about it we're actually really just thinking along the same lines

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 10-25-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #21808
Banned By Establishment

is that the same retard that kept hating on me because I said me and red_sir had a beast workout.

Quote:
Forget bulking or cutting. Unless you're preparing for a specific competition, all-out bulks followed by drastic cuts don't get you very far. For most, slow but steady body recomposition – gaining lean muscle mass and minimizing body fat – is a better long-term strategy.
feels reassuring.

Last edited by Meowjin; 10-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #21809
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
you guys are really overthinking eating
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #21810
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Hey jayare, you a IFBB pro bodybuilder bro?

Because if you were, I'd highly suggest fiddling around with this new calorie/macronutrient calculator for a few hours. You can download it from the app store for only 1.99! It's so accurate you can use it to calculate the exact macronutrient proportions you need to stay lean and cut. Make sure you don't go over by 0.5 of a calorie though! Because it will definetly take its toll on your 10% bodyfat percentage.

T NATION | Carb Cycling For The Non-Counter
The Calories Myth |
Kathy Freston: The Weight Loss Hype: Why Counting Calories Never Works

I don't think i've ever said not to count your macros, or I wouldn't have suggested doing the 2calorie per bodyweight thing in the first place right? It's when people become calorie nazis, that just irritates the heck out of me. Do your estimations and such, but don't spend your whole life on that shit trying to figure out where you went wrong with your calculation...
Bro, I will kick your barbell the next time you deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
jayare604, RS's resident troll.
Do you even lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
is that the same retard that kept hating on me because I said me and red_sir had a beast workout.

feels reassuring.
Actually, you claimed to be a beast, when you have the same lowerbody stats as HarryWang. But don't worry bro, I benched 170lbs the other day, I'm a beast too
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #21811
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Bro, I will kick your barbell the next time you deadlift

Do you even lift?

Actually, you claimed to be a beast, when you have the same lowerbody stats as HarryWang. But don't worry bro, I benched 170lbs the other day, I'm a beast too

W000T, time to use that "beastly" leg strength of yours

come at me bro

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #21812
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
srs post

hit the gym with an old high school buddy of mine, today. He had some impressive stats as an 18 year old

460 deadlift @ 145lb bodyweight
315 squats for 6 reps @ 155lb bodyweight
275 bench @ 160lb bodyweight

dunno why he never decided to compete

edit - the squat and bench stats were from when he was 19, he's 20 now
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #21813
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
those stats make me feel bad
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #21814
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

You're an idiot.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #21815
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
chocolate milk so good
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #21816
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
chocolate milk so good
1-2 litres post workout past 4 months now
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #21817
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

New pr! Deadlifted 260x6 this morning

5/3/1 is a great program

Oh, and too dafonz, I'm sorry I flamed on you last time when you posted about the muscle up
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #21818
RS Veteran

Quote:
high calorie days on heavy resistance days. increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bodyweight. low calorie days on light/rest days to facilitate the weight loss.
Yep, a cell's capacity isn't related to insulin sensitivity at all. What I was hinting at, was that you can take advantage of this sensitivity, and up your calorie intake during this time so that your blood plasma glucose levels won't fluctuate too high as opposed to say, during a light workout day or during a rest day. If he wants to build lean muscle, he HAS to eat, and what I was just sort of recommending is to have these high calorie meals during his heavy resistance days, and building on what you have said, after a workout.

If you think about it we're actually really just thinking along the same lines
We may be thinking along the same lines, but I'm speaking in layman's terms. 95% of people on here won't know what the heck you're talking about regarding glut-4 and blood sugar etc. The only reason I have some idea of what you are talking about is because I did my undergrad in HKIN, and even then I am not sure if you are just spitting out what you read from bb.com or any off the rack body building magazine... or better yet something off a bottle you bought from popeye's.

You say you get annoyed by people who count calories to the tee, yet you reply with a response regarding blood glucose plasma, and insulin sensitivity.

And you still never clarified the numbers of high/low calorie days. Increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bw for a high intake day? Increase 2-3 of from what? If you simply do the calculation... 2 lb per bw for someone who is 200 lbs is only 400 calories.. or do you mean, that would be added on top of their regular daily caloric intake? What would you suggest their baseline caloric daily intake be? Simply, times their body weight by 10, so 2000?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #21819
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I think he means BMR + (2 to 3) X bodyweight. so 200lb person would be 400-600 excess on lifting days and 4-600 deficit on rest days.
I took that from reading his post, dont know if Im right in interpreting either
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #21820
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
We may be thinking along the same lines, but I'm speaking in layman's terms. 95% of people on here won't know what the heck you're talking about regarding glut-4 and blood sugar etc. The only reason I have some idea of what you are talking about is because I did my undergrad in HKIN, and even then I am not sure if you are just spitting out what you read from bb.com or any off the rack body building magazine... or better yet something off a bottle you bought from popeye's.

You say you get annoyed by people who count calories to the tee, yet you reply with a response regarding blood glucose plasma, and insulin sensitivity.

And you still never clarified the numbers of high/low calorie days. Increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bw for a high intake day? Increase 2-3 of from what? If you simply do the calculation... 2 lb per bw for someone who is 200 lbs is only 400 calories.. or do you mean, that would be added on top of their regular daily caloric intake? What would you suggest their baseline caloric daily intake be? Simply, times their body weight by 10, so 2000?
i'm going more and more indepth as your questions beg to differ.

I'm pretty sure I did clarify the number of high/low calorie days. High calorie days on heavy resistance training, low calorie on rest days/light aerobic training.

When I say 2-3 calorie INCREASE I'm pretty sure I do mean a higher value compared to a baseline value or it wouldn't be an increase would it?

No, I'm not going to explain how to do a calorie count because that wasn't the point of the comment I had made in the first place.

Last of all, I was talking about insulin sensitivity in regards to timing of the meals and why it would be beneficial to eat higher calories postworkout, not relating at all to the usage of made-up offthecharts calorie count calculators and the over-compulsive drive to stay consistent with each individual calorie

Don't think I'm going to go any further with this, because anything else we say is just going to be a wide array of facts.

And I could guess right from the start that you probably would have done a degree in kinesiology/nutrtion. Small world eh? Where'd you grad from?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #21821
RS Veteran

Quote:
i'm going more and more indepth as your questions beg to differ.

I'm pretty sure I did clarify the number of high/low calorie days. High calorie days on heavy resistance training, low calorie on rest days/light aerobic training.

When I say 2-3 calorie INCREASE I'm pretty sure I do mean a higher value compared to a baseline value or it wouldn't be an increase would it?

No, I'm not going to explain how to do a calorie count because that wasn't the point of the comment I had made in the first place.

Last of all, I was talking about insulin sensitivity in regards to timing of the meals and why it would be beneficial to eat higher calories postworkout, not relating at all to the usage of made-up offthecharts calorie count calculators and the over-compulsive drive to stay consistent with each individual calorie

Don't think I'm going to go any further with this, because anything else we say is just going to be a wide array of facts.

And I could guess right from the start that you probably would have done a degree in kinesiology/nutrtion. Small world eh? Where'd you grad from?
I just wanted clarification in what you meant because it wasn't clear by just reading your initials posts, that's all.

I did my undergrad at UBC. Grad 05.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #21822
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
IMO, you should try to put on the most amount of muscle possible. this will increase your BMR which will make it ultimately easier to lose fat

do relatively high volume with heavy weights i.e. i recommend 5x5

and fuck cardio, sprints and plyos all the way
Your BMR statement makes sense, but increasing the the weight wouldn't increase the "volume"... increasing reps would. 5 sets of 5 reps of 100 lbs = 2500 lbs lifted. If you did a lighter weight, more reps, same amount of sets. You would life a lot more "total" weight. On average, optimal hypertrophy is gained through rep rages of 8-12. anything lower or higher would be tapping into different energy systems. Although, you would obviously gain some muscle no matter what kind of rep range you do.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #21823
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
I like to lift heavy shit and look like a freak
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #21824
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Squats 2 days ago..quads still sore as fuck.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #21825
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Lol jayare, please... Just stop
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: