REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #4601
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
I think i'd shit my pants going ass-ground with 3.5 plates lol
Advertisement
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #4602
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

hey what muscle fills up that gap above your clavicle bone if any of u know what i'm talking about???
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #4603
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Traps?
s3an is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #4604
xxx

just wondering,

when you guys are doing db bench, and you start to go heavy, anyone else have a problem with getting the weight up at the very beginning?
I am able to do 3x8 of 80lbs dumbbells, but when I kick the dumbbells up, I find the first rep to be super hard...the subsequent ones are fine because I don't go super low, just a BIT lower than 90 degrees, whereas after kicking the dbs up the first time, the position of the dumbbells are pretty far past 90 so it's tough.

Sometimes I would get my friend to just help me on the first rep so I can get the dumbbell up, and from there I can do the rest fine.

Dumb question but does this mean the weight is too heavy for me? As in, should it be that you should never have any problems getting the dumbbells up for the first rep?
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #4605
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Superdump > NO-xplode. if you've never taken a pre gym drink, get samples and try a few. if NOxplode works for you, start there. theres only so many pre workout drinks available and you get used to all of them so theres no point starting with the best one.

I take Kaisen Whey Isolate from Costco in chocolate. regular price is $38/5kg, but its usually on sale for $29. tastes great and mixes alright.

I cant to ATG as I have a knee problem. My knee doesnt actually bend all the way as it is. I go significantly passed 90* tho.

That hollow spot just above your Collar bone infront of your trap, Ive wondered the same thing too. The only thing that seems to do anything is building traps which dont really build forward as much as they do up and back.

when I do heavy DB bench, incline bench, or shoulder press, I always have my spotter give my elbows a push getting the first rep into position. I dont give a fuck what anyone says, if you need a spot to get the first rep in position and then hammer out 8 more yourself after, thats perfectly fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #4606
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
when I do heavy DB bench, incline bench, or shoulder press, I always have my spotter give my elbows a push getting the first rep into position. I dont give a fuck what anyone says, if you need a spot to get the first rep in position and then hammer out 8 more yourself after, thats perfectly fine.
Agreed with this. Getting the weight up is hardest imo
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #4607
xxx

lol awesome
i mean i figured, hey, i can do the rest fine, and still feel my chest burning so getting help on that first rep shouldn't be a problem. Glad to see I'm not the only one doing this.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #4608
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I used to have problems getting the weight up when doing dumbbell bench. What I do now is while my upper body is going down, the weights resting on my lower thigh I kick up while extending my arms so my elbows lock. My thighs come maybe almost 110 degrees up.

So when I'm lying down, my thighs have helped lock the weight above me. After, I just lower the dumbbells and crank out the reps, feet pressed firmly on the ground.

Maybe not the best description, but it works.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #4609
xxx

^
lol I've been sort of experimenting with something like that. Just trying to get my elbows locked with the dbs while going down so I don't have to start from the bottom.
should work on that
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #4610
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolkai View Post
hey what muscle fills up that gap above your clavicle bone if any of u know what i'm talking about???
u can not really fill it in specifically, really wide bench press incline will do it, incline cable flys, anything incline, but a tip when u get to the top, squeeze your chest like your inner eblows into your outer pecs, it takes a while for that to build up but it looks great in v necks, and it also ties your whole chest in
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #4611
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
I always like to do the first rep by myself. Just lets me know I can rape through the set.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #4612
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
... So much anger. Lol. I think this goes for most cases when lifting heavy, no?
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #4613
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
... So much anger. Lol. I think this goes for most cases when lifting heavy, no?
I rather have a spotter give me help on the first rep with an incline db or shoulder press, than to help me with the last 1-2 reps. getting dbs into position for the first rep for incline and shlder press is very awkward and can cause strain on your rotators etc.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #4614
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Sorry, I was implying that its usually the case for a slight push on the first rep when lifting heavy. See it done and do it all the time.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #4615
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Superdump > NO-xplode. if you've never taken a pre gym drink, get samples and try a few. if NOxplode works for you, start there. theres only so many pre workout drinks available and you get used to all of them so theres no point starting with the best one.

I take Kaisen Whey Isolate from Costco in chocolate. regular price is $38/5kg, but its usually on sale for $29. tastes great and mixes alright.

I cant to ATG as I have a knee problem. My knee doesnt actually bend all the way as it is. I go significantly passed 90* tho.

That hollow spot just above your Collar bone infront of your trap, Ive wondered the same thing too. The only thing that seems to do anything is building traps which dont really build forward as much as they do up and back.

sometimes u need help getting the 105's on dunbells for shoulders press
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #4616

My squats fail. I'm too scared to go heavy and fall down.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #4617
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
There was someone in this thread who once said "If your spotter ever touches the weight even on the first rep, you arent doing the exercise" thats where my anger came from

I do the thigh/knee kick up most of the time but it gets pretty hard into the 100lb dumbell range. If you've got a spotter, use them.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #4618

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
If your spotter ever touches the weight even on the first rep, you arent doing the exercise"
Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #4619

new PR today. 155 on power cleans!

the tricep ladder someone posted here with the smith machine is pretty killer too

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #4620

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
new PR today. 155 on power cleans!

the tricep ladder someone posted here with the smith machine is pretty killer too
Care to repost it?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #4621
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
Care to repost it?
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #4622
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Wow the smith machine is useful for something other than hanging my towel on!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #4623
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
just a quick question to everyone as well. do you guys do full squats (ass to ground) or half squats (parallel to ground)? i've always done half squats and have been considering full squats but have been hearing that it puts wear on your knee joints, etc. can anyone chime in?
parallel and full is fine, it depends on what muscles you want to work on. the only one you should really avoid is the quarter/ego squat since your knees are most unstable at that angle.

most people don't have the mobility to do full squats, because they're used to sitting on their ass. just work on your hip and ankle mobility. squat as deep as you can while maintaining an arch with your back. it'll take a while to get the full mobility

when you do parallel squats, make sure you're sitting back/leading with your hips(like you're sitting in a chair) this is powerlifter style. great for hips and hams.

i do mainly olympic style squat, you still lead with your hips, but you go straight down more. ass to grass. high bar. great quad development, i've got teardrops because of it. but i also do powerlifter style every so often just to make sure my hamstrings get some work too.

definitely read the links below. ass to grass squats are safe if you do them properly. just don't do the weird knee bend squat i see people doing and they end up on their toes. looks like they're doing a sissy squat with a barbell on their back

http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...lifting_squats

since you go to sport central, if you decide you wanna do full squats, i can help you out.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #4624
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Did those wide grip deadlifts today.. kills grip man! Wish I could use chalk
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #4625
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Wow the smith machine is useful for something other than hanging my towel on!
yah.. too bad it is for an exercise that uses ONe muscle group.... and why wouldn't buddy start off on the floor, unless this clip was taken a few sets into his pyramid.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote