REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #9976
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I did 3 sets of 10 @ 3 plates yesterday... feeling it today. Traps mostly lol. Funny how the muscle that I don't think of is the one that gets worked the hardest haha.

Berz out.
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #9977
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
my juice friend worked out with me today
got showed up for once dammmmmmmmmmmm
i set a new pr for dunbell shoulder press tho 115's for 6
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #9978
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I did 3 sets of 10 @ 3 plates yesterday... feeling it today. Traps mostly lol. Funny how the muscle that I don't think of is the one that gets worked the hardest haha
That's pretty solid, 10 reps is a lot for a heavy DL, do you use straps? I've been thinking about using them for DL's above 3+ plates. I'm starting to think that all that mixed grip is the reason my shoulders are kinda fucked.

DL is one of the best for traps. Shrugs too, but most noobs grab the 100 lb dumbbells and do some half second shrug. I like doing Reeves Deadlift every once in a while, and do a little shrug at the top motion. I use the 35 lb barbell tho

AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #9979
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
That's pretty solid, 10 reps is a lot for a heavy DL, do you use straps? I've been thinking about using them for DL's above 3+ plates. I'm starting to think that all that mixed grip is the reason my shoulders are kinda fucked.

DL is one of the best for traps. Shrugs too, but most noobs grab the 100 lb dumbbells and do some half second shrug. I like doing Reeves Deadlift every once in a while, and do a little shrug at the top motion. I use the 35 lb barbell tho

Mixed grip puts huge stress on your shoulders. I swapped out to a double overhand grip a while ago. I can't lift near the weight anymore, but my grip is increasing slowly. With time I will get back to where I was.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #9980
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

every time i do any sort of chest exercise, my right shoulder pops, and hurts like a bitch, super sharp pain. I think i fucked it up benching couple years ago, 80% of the time it pops when i go down on benching. any ideas?? even when i go light say 25lbs, still hurts after 10th rep i dont know where to go to get it checked out
JD35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #9981
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^Sports med doctor, then ask to get an ultrasound/x-ray done. Try avoiding doing chest/shoulders for a while.

You left it for a long time... :P
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #9982
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post

If they are actually able to hang onto 100lbs dumb bells, they cant be that big of noobs…thats a lot of weight to hang onto.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #9983
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ Not when they've got straps & a weight-belt on

Did 6 weighted semi-wide grips today (+45 lbs) it drained me! after that it was a bunch of sets @ 2-3 reps.
It makes bodyweight wide grips seem sooo much easier, but i think i prefer body weight to weighted pullups. id rather do my 10 x 10 wide grips every back day as opposed to 20-25 weighted.

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-16-2011 at 10:31 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #9984
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
Hey I got your PM the other day, not sure how I missed it. If you're heading to the gym in the late evenings let me know!
will most likely be there tomorrow night after a few days off
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #9985
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
I don't get the use of straps and belts. IMO if you have to use those then you're not strong enough to be pushing/pulling the weight that you're using. Check your ego and lift what you can actually handle.

Chalk is different, I know when I'm pressing the 100lb dumbbells for example my hands are very balmy and slippery. I've only used chalk a couple times but it does make a nice difference. Most gyms ban it for obvious mess reasons though.

truth - I'll be doing arms tonight starting around 830-9.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #9986
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quite often I see people using lifting straps using things like the lat pulldown machine and hammer curl machine
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #9987
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Hahaha
One kid use to strap for curls , I mean he did he 13 inch arms lol
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #9988
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I use a belt when I'm nearing max on DL. As well as after a hard DL session when I'm doing rows and stuff. My lower back is already fatigued by this point so the extra support helps me focus on my lifts form rather than my posture. The only time I use straps is at the end of my back workout if I'm doing DB rows. I usually row 115lb DB's and by the time I get there I've already been doing heavy DL, BB rows and other shit so the straps let me focus on lifting the weight rather than worrying about dropping it.

Berz out.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #9989
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I don't get the use of straps and belts. IMO if you have to use those then you're not strong enough to be pushing/pulling the weight that you're using. Check your ego and lift what you can actually handle.

Chalk is different, I know when I'm pressing the 100lb dumbbells for example my hands are very balmy and slippery. I've only used chalk a couple times but it does make a nice difference. Most gyms ban it for obvious mess reasons though.

Has nothing to do w/ your ego. My grip strength isn't super good so I HAVE to use straps when doing shrugs and DL's past 3 plates and a 35 on each side, otherwise it'll start slipping a couple reps in. I'm good for around 4 and a half plates on both BUT I'LL DEFINATELY NEED STRAPS.
Outreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #9990
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
FYI if anybody needs chalk, MEC online has free shipping until Dec 7 for anybody too lazy to go down to Broadway.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #9991
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outreach View Post
Has nothing to do w/ your ego. My grip strength isn't super good so I HAVE to use straps when doing shrugs and DL's past 3 plates and a 35 on each side, otherwise it'll start slipping a couple reps in. I'm good for around 4 and a half plates on both BUT I'LL DEFINATELY NEED STRAPS.
You're doing enough weight to justify it. 99% of guys I see using straps, belts, and wearing gloves are squatting or deadlifting 2 plates or less. My opinion is probably the result of going to a poseur gym.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #9992
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
funniest thing I saw was when this guy had a belt and was squatting one plate
Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #9993
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
You're doing enough weight to justify it. 99% of guys I see using straps, belts, and wearing gloves are squatting or deadlifting 2 plates or less. My opinion is probably the result of going to a poseur gym.
Ok ic, you are absolutely right i have seen people using straps for less than two plates when they are obviously capable of much more, And i just seen two Chinese guys the other day doing just that and i went up to them asking why the hell are they doing taht? And they say "oh... idk man.. i'm just more comfortable". Idiots.
Outreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #9994
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
I use straps when i know my grip is going to fail before the muscle im working... Ive used straps for lat pulldowns on my last few working sets. I use a belt when maxing out or for heavy load sets on deadlifts just as a precaution
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #9995
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
feels good to start being able to fit into old jeans again.

also on most compound exercises i've surpassed 2 plates.

kinda sucks because im calorie cutting now and increasing cardio.

I'll become a weak baby again
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #9996
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Nobody at my school even does full rom squats.. all they do is quarter squats...gofigure
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #9997
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
I use straps for shrugs. 245 lbs best i can do without. 315 with.

I do bent over rows at the end of my back workout....100 x 8 would be impossible for me without straps.

Ego has nothing to do with it, but i'd be cheating myself out of a killer workout by not using straps.

To each their own.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #9998
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
your cheating yourself out of imrpoving your grip by using straps tho

halo dls what, 650lbs without straps? strykn pulls a ton too. i even pull 425lbs without straps and grip is a non factor with chalk.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #9999
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

same, asian guy with glasses growing a pervstache, grey shorts.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #10000
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Thats nothing... these two dudes that work out at the gym by my house never take their belt off... I've seen them doing an ab workout with the belt on. One time one of the guys was complaining about his tricep being really sore. I mentioned something to change the way he lifted to put less stress on it for a while. Both of them turned to me and said "we are personal trainers, you dont need to tell us how to lift... we know"..
I'm pretty sure they think I'm juicing since I'm putting on weight while they look the same they always do. They also wear those phaggytime skin tight polyester shirts.