REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #19476
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
lol @ belting adding plates to lifts.. I only use belt for deadlift on 5 plates + , no not because it is going to add 100lbs, because when I'm lifting 600LBS from the ground and ONE SMALL THING makes my back to round just a bit TOO much =Good night sweet prince... pretty sure Jim agrees... lifting that heavy as phuck is not a problem without a belt but safety is important at h00ge weights
Advertisement
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #19477
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
You are either someone who has never attempted a 1 rep max, or someone who's 1 rep max is so low you are able to keep perfect form. And for being such a form/technique nazi, I have never seen you demonstrate any real knowledge about the subject.

Here is my advice for you. Sometimes you just have to stop being scared and making excuses and just lift some heavy shit.
I'm not a form nazi, and have seen many 1RM attempts right here. 1RM attempts are of course not going to be perfect. But they also shouldn't look like you don't know wtf you're doing.

The truth is, I don't know if your 1RM is shit and your 5RM is perfect. It could be. But you posted a form check, and form was checked. I'm sorry if you didn't like what you heard. Some agree with me, some didn't.. so whatever.. There's nothing to get all upset about. In any case, shitting on other members doesn't really fly here. Nobody shat on you or said anything bad about you (until you started acting like a cunt).

You posted a form check, with shitty form. People, myself included, checked out your form for you. You got all butt hurt and started slinging insults at me... that is a pretty sad way to handle yourself here.

I always thought this was the one part of RS where we could share our experiences and progress without worrying about trolls and fuckheads taking each other down. We post our progress, talk about doing new lifts for the first time, starting from scratch, and share that info with each other to give and learn, without having to worry about fucktards getting all butt hurt and slinging insults. For the most part it has been great... until today I guess.

The oddest thing is that you are agreeing with me, and still being a dick to me. I said that you should go down in weight to help work on your form. You say that this is a 1RM, so of course form is broken. Those are two different ways of saying the same thing.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #19478

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
lol @ belting adding plates to lifts.. I only use belt for deadlift on 5 plates + , no not because it is going to add 100lbs, because when I'm lifting 600LBS from the ground and ONE SMALL THING makes my back to round just a bit TOO much =Good night sweet prince... pretty sure Jim agrees... lifting that heavy as phuck is not a problem without a belt but safety is important at h00ge weights
You of all people should know how a belt works. It's not just for safety, it gives your stomach something to push back on. I tried a belt once with my usual 3RM (2.5 plates per side at the time), and it was so easy it felt like doing my warmup weight.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #19479
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm not a form nazi, and have seen many 1RM attempts right here. 1RM attempts are of course not going to be perfect. But they also shouldn't look like you don't know wtf you're doing.
I’ll take that as a compliment. For someone who doesn’t know wtf I’m doing, a 440 squat is not too shabby. Tell me again, what is someone like yourself, who DOES know what they’re doing, lifting?
Haha ok I will stop with the personal attacks. Don’t get me wrong, I am not taking your “advice” not because you are weak. It is because it’s horrible advice, if you can even call it that.
Quote:
The truth is, I don't know if your 1RM is shit and your 5RM is perfect. It could be. But you posted a form check, and form was checked. I'm sorry if you didn't like what you heard. Some agree with me, some didn't.. so whatever.. There's nothing to get all upset about. In any case, shitting on other members doesn't really fly here. Nobody shat on you or said anything bad about you (until you started acting like a cunt).
You provided no help into correcting my squat. To me, this is what your post sounded like: "your squat looks different than how Rippetoe does it... something must be wrong but I don't know what... I'll just tell him to lower the weight and work on his form, that's always good advice."
And then you condescendingly used me as an example on why not to use a belt when you clearly do not know how a belt works or how much I lift without one.
Quote:
You posted a form check, with shitty form. People, myself included, checked out your form for you. You got all butt hurt and started slinging insults at me... that is a pretty sad way to handle yourself here.
Honestly, were you really trying to be helpful? Lol.
The comment about going down in weight and working on form when I'm testing a 1rm ... thanks Captain Obvious. Or did you think my entire workout program consisted solely of heavy max singles? Anyway, I don’t even really care about that, it’s the ignorant belt comment that really annoyed me. Just because you have some glaring weakness that hinders lifting without a belt don’t assume other people share your problem. While you have been working on perfecting your one legged overhead bulgarian split squats, I have been squatting my ass off in the gym every week, often twice a week. I've squatted till I have exertion headaches. I've squatted till I want throw up. Sorry, but I built my strength up through hard work, not through a fucking belt... you will never understand. And like I've already mentioned, I only started using a belt very recently, less than a handful of times.

Quote:
I always thought this was the one part of RS where we could share our experiences and progress without worrying about trolls and fuckheads taking each other down. We post our progress, talk about doing new lifts for the first time, starting from scratch, and share that info with each other to give and learn, without having to worry about fucktards getting all butt hurt and slinging insults. For the most part it has been great... until today I guess.
This is just hilarious coming from you. Respect is a two way street.
Quote:
The oddest thing is that you are agreeing with me, and still being a dick to me. I said that you should go down in weight to help work on your form. You say that this is a 1RM, so of course form is broken. Those are two different ways of saying the same thing.
Sigh, it’s hard to explain this to someone like yourself. It doesn’t not matter how perfect your form is at sub maximal weight. Your form WILL break when testing a max. If nothing breaks then you will never miss a lift. The key is finding what breaks first and fixing it.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #19480
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
You of all people should know how a belt works. It's not just for safety, it gives your stomach something to push back on. I tried a belt once with my usual 3RM (2.5 plates per side at the time), and it was so easy it felt like doing my warmup weight.
Please explain to me how giving your stomach something to push back on will lift the barbell for you. Does it somehow turn a squat into an abdominal crunch?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #19481

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
skinny and red sir fail war

Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #19482

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
Please explain to me how giving your stomach something to push back on will lift the barbell for you. Does it somehow turn a squat into an abdominal crunch?
Well there you go
Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #19483
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #19484
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Skinny what i think red_sir was looking for was not "lower weight and check up on form" ..i think he already knows that lol what he was looking for was more of a , for example : keep your chest up, remember to push up with your hip , push more with your heels then toes " now im not saying those are correct since im just throwing out random shit, but THAT'S the type of criticism he was looking for. I do agree with what you said to him, but that doesn't help his situation as his "goal" was not too lower the weight , im guessing, but to perfect his form in current-said weight.

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #19485
I LOVE SQWAT

Last edited by red_sir; 07-20-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #19486

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
Skinny what i think red_sir was looking for was not "lower weight and check up on form" ..i think he already knows that lol what he was looking for was more of a , for example : keep your chest up, remember to push up with your hip , push more with your heels then toes " now im not saying those are correct since im just throwing out random shit, but THAT'S the type of criticism he was looking for. I do agree with what you said to him, but that doesn't help his situation as his "goal" was not too lower the weight , im guessing, but to perfect his form in current-said weight.
If you put it that way, I am totally in the wrong and I apologize.

I was thrown off by the "form check" title, and I still think he has something to learn, especially with the abs comment.

I made the belt comment, because it was topical to the discussion that was already going on. Since I mistakenly treated it as a form check, I made the comment about the belt. I should clarify that I don't mean to say that belts are assistance I the same way as knee wraps or squat suits.

Anyway, I respect everyone here for the most part, regardless of experience or ability. The only people I don't like are those who treat others poorly, and anyone who takes steroids and lies about it. If you talk down to people based on them having lower ability or different goals, you definitely won't get my respect.

Aside from that, to each their own.

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 07-20-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #19487

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
this reminds me of skinny vs. fucked up shit thread a LONG TIME AGO
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #19488
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
All this one rep max talk, must attempt every lift at one rep max tomorrow
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #19489
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
If you put it that way, I am totally in the wrong and I apologize.

I was thrown off by the "form check" title, and I still think he has something to learn, especially with the abs comment.

I made the belt comment, because it was topical to the discussion that was already going on. Since I mistakenly treated it as a form check, I made the comment about the belt.

Anyway, I respect everyone here for the most part, regardless of experience or ability. The only people I don't like are those who treat others poorly, and anyone who takes steroids and lies about it. If you talk down to people based on them having lower ability or different goals, you definitely won't get my respect.

Aside from that, to each their own.
Lol. You're admitting fault but saying you're right at the same time. Brilliant.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #19490
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
gonna attempt 1rm squat 260lb tmmr

gotta beat out my old pr of 255lb

ill try to get it recorded

gotta get to 280lbs by the end of august
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #19491
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
i'm scared posting a video of me benching 2 plates now on my 5th set because my positioning was a little off.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #19492
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts

w/e

also cousin doesn't know how to hold phone sideways.

I'm starting my 2k a day calories + cardio + weights tomorrow.

Hopefully I don't lose too much strength.

also whats the point of doing 1RM?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #19493
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
The way I always thought of 1RM is to see what is the heaviest weight I could successfully lift. Muscle fibers get torn, are then repaired, and subsequently get stronger. There's probably some super science explanation that I'm not qualified to give.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #19494
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Quit dancing your hips/legs/feet on the bench and fix your grip. You're 4th rep looked like that thing would have rolled out of your hands. Lock your body into the bench before you even begin to lift it off the pegs. And puts some clips too, you can already see the furtherest plates separate during your lift. Solid lift.

Keep it up.

Did Renfrew CC get any new equipment after all these years? Lol. Still rockin that old blue bench.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #19495
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
have done 120 dumbbells for chest, will be attempting 130s in a bit.... fuck, my chest is getting too strong. I've never seen anyone do it in person so I'll be the first..

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 07-20-2012 at 08:27 AM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #19496
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
2 plate bench 5x5 - YouTube

w/e

LOL at the canto ppl talking in the background. good job, looks like u could have used a spot lol, u would have died on the last rep if u couldn't finish it

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #19497
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
2 plate bench 5x5 - YouTube

w/e

I HATE those platforms behind the bench for spotting. Makes me too high up. Watermania has that on the bench too.
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #19498
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Bench Critique Meojin, is that your shoulder blades need to be tucked under before you lift. Plant your fucking feet and don't wiggle and hop. Squeeze your glutes and try to keep your whole body tight. You had far to much movement all around.

And Awesome Work on the Lift!!!! That's a feat that not many people can accomplish.

Berz out.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #19499
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
have done 120 dumbbells for chest, will be attempting 130s in a bit.... fuck, my chest is getting too strong. I've never seen anyone do it in person so I'll be the first..
I wanna see you barbell benching more. I think you would throw up some impressive numbers!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #19500
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
All this form talk is motivating. Been lifting 2-3yrs now and never gets old because I am constantly learning and watching vids about improving form in all of the lifts I do. Always great to learn new techniques and then apply them to the lifts.

I tend to dance my feet as well when benching. Need to remember to bring shoulder blades together and plant my feet before starting the lift.

PS I subbed military press for DB overhead press for Layne Norton program. Feel like a boss doing this lift (even though I am only doing 1 plate lol)
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote