REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #19501
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
have done 120 dumbbells for chest, will be attempting 130s in a bit.... fuck, my chest is getting too strong. I've never seen anyone do it in person so I'll be the first..
boss
Advertisement
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #19502
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Fucking worst rolled my buddies atv broken ankle... Won't be able to work out for a while
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #19503
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
TIME TO FUCK SHIT UP
pce off to the gym
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #19504
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Quit dancing your hips/legs/feet on the bench and fix your grip. You're 4th rep looked like that thing would have rolled out of your hands. Lock your body into the bench before you even begin to lift it off the pegs. And puts some clips too, you can already see the furtherest plates separate during your lift. Solid lift.

Keep it up.

Did Renfrew CC get any new equipment after all these years? Lol. Still rockin that old blue bench.
it was my first time working out at renfrew. All the equipment is junk. Seriously Community centers need to step it up. I was only there because my newly immigrated cousin lives nearby and wanted to workout.

The only acceptable gym so far is the oval but it needs a pool. Even if it is a small one.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #19505
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Stop going to community centre gyms than
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #19506
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Bench Critique Meojin, is that your shoulder blades need to be tucked under before you lift. Plant your fucking feet and don't wiggle and hop. Squeeze your glutes and try to keep your whole body tight. You had far to much movement all around.

And Awesome Work on the Lift!!!! That's a feat that not many people can accomplish.

Berz out.
the reason i kept moving was becuase my positioning was off. I have a pretty wide back but I never though of tucking my shoulder blades in.

I'll try it next time.

Also thank you.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #19507
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Stop going to community centre gyms than
They are cheap. I just don't understand why they need 5020343203420 useless machines and only 1 squat rack. They are overused and they havn't had the common sense to stop having 40 community rooms for old people when they should be oriented towards youth.

When my goals for this year are completed (finance + health and education) and i begin to focus on my run for city politics believe me this is the first thing on my list.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #19508
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
You can feel the difference just sitting and trying the position. Place your arms in the bench position and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Now perform a mock rep or 2. Feel how tight your back is? Now unsqueeze your blades and widen your back. Again perform some mock reps. Feel the difference? When your shoulder blades are back and tucked it tightens your whole back and core. That combined with a good glute squeeze is the power position.

Berz out.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #19509
Banned By Establishment

So whats the general concession on my weight loss now?

I'm at 240, with good lifts all around. Should I just eat my 2k calories add cardio and just hope that I don't lose strength?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #19510
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
beat my old 1rm pr on squats of 255, now it's at 260, although i felt like i could've done 265
form is not perfect but it's a 1RM so i can't expect it to be, it looks like i didn't use too much hip drive doing it, but during my regular sets, hip drive is there.
my goal is to hit a 1rm 280lbs or 2x body weight squat by the end of august, then have a major bulk to 160lbs

J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #19511
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post

I'm at 240, with good lifts all around. Should I just eat my 2k calories add cardio and just hope that I don't lose strength?
sounds like a good plan to me. make sure your not only focusing on calories, but trying to cut down on the carbs (especially simple carbs).
blakgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #19512
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakgtp View Post
sounds like a good plan to me. make sure your not only focusing on calories, but trying to cut down on the carbs (especially simple carbs).
The automatic diet planner - Swole.me
This is what i'm doign currently.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #19513
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I just heard

"Weightlifters just stack weight, they don't care about form"

Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #19514
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
The automatic diet planner - Swole.me
This is what i'm doign currently.
looks good, except imo there is too many carbs for meal 1. try to go no higher than a 50/50 protein carb ratio. and cottage cheese is usually best at night so it releases protein slowly when you sleep.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #19515
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
I just heard

those are the amateurs
Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #19516
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
I just heard

i think that is meant to say
" cross fitters stack 10 pound bumper plates that looks like 45's so it looks bad ass and dont give a single fuck about form "
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #19517
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Re Belts :
-"A belt reduces low back stress by compressing the contents of the abdominal cavity. This increases the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP), providing more support in front of the bones of the lower back"

-"belts should only be used on two primary occasions. The first is when performing maximal or submaximal lifts in exercises such as the squat or deadlift, in which the weight is supported by the lifter's back. The second is while performing exercises, such as the military press, which may cause the back to hyperextend. The belt should be loosened to allow blood pressure to return to normal levels in between sets"

-The Proper Use of Belts During Weight Training

Your legs are gonna be stronger than your lower back when it comes to maximum strength. Once you start getting close to the limit of your lower back you should use the belt to help protect it. During a 1RM you are focusing on a lot of different things and the possibility of overextending your back exists. Ya, you lose a couple sets of 'aux core work' but just do those after and without the risk factor. As your squat increase so should the weight you can do without a belt if your core is developing at the same rate as your legs.

I know this is hardly new info but after reading the last cpl pages I think some of this isn't actually 'common knowledge'.
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #19518
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:

I say try it out for a week or two and see how it goes. Keep in mind 2k calories is already low for a big guy like yourself. You should already lose weight eating that amount without cardio. If you add a lot of cardio on top you might end up losing more lean mass or crashing your metabolism. Anyway, only way to find out is to try it out. Just be vigilant; if you're not getting the results you want adjust your calories/cardio accordingly.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #19519
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:

'just hope' isn't really a good way to approach it lol.

Look up the benefits of:
-doing cardio on non-lifting days only and doing HIIT instead of long low intensity sessions
-reducing calories on non-lifting days and trying to push most of your calorie intake during the pre and post workout window on lifting days
-maintaining a high protein intake % (ie. cut calories from carbs and fat first)
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #19520
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

if it aint ugly it aint your max
cc604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #19521
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
the reason i kept moving was becuase my positioning was off. I have a pretty wide back but I never though of tucking my shoulder blades in.

I'll try it next time.

Also thank you.
What helps me set up is to hang onto the bar, and put your feet on the bench itself. Tuck your shoulders back, and use your feet to dig them into the bench. Put your feet on the ground, making sure that your shoudlers are still packed. At this point, it is most likely that only your shoulders and butt are touching the bench - the arch of your back will likely not be. Bring your feet back to the point where your heels are off the ground. When lifting, focus on digging your heels into the ground, and using that power to help get the weight up.

Keeping all that in mind really helped me, but I don't really like doing BB bench since it doesn't take long to start getting really sore joints, which fucks up the rest of my lifts. Maybe it's my form I dunno
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #19522
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Spotted a BMW with rs stickers at Langley golds tonight.
BlackV62K2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #19523

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
prolly just 'd him right....

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #19524
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep87 View Post
Re Belts :
-"A belt reduces low back stress by compressing the contents of the abdominal cavity. This increases the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP), providing more support in front of the bones of the lower back"

-"belts should only be used on two primary occasions. The first is when performing maximal or submaximal lifts in exercises such as the squat or deadlift, in which the weight is supported by the lifter's back. The second is while performing exercises, such as the military press, which may cause the back to hyperextend. The belt should be loosened to allow blood pressure to return to normal levels in between sets"

-The Proper Use of Belts During Weight Training

Your legs are gonna be stronger than your lower back when it comes to maximum strength. Once you start getting close to the limit of your lower back you should use the belt to help protect it. During a 1RM you are focusing on a lot of different things and the possibility of overextending your back exists. Ya, you lose a couple sets of 'aux core work' but just do those after and without the risk factor. As your squat increase so should the weight you can do without a belt if your core is developing at the same rate as your legs.

I know this is hardly new info but after reading the last cpl pages I think some of this isn't actually 'common knowledge'.
Thank you for the post. This definetly clears up alot of the controversy with weight belts... and it all makes sense. When you're pushing around 70-80% intensity(submaximal) to 1RM, it's good to wear a belt. Be good to your back, and in the long run, your back will be good to you..

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #19525

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
yea but what rrxstar and skinny said is also true, get the hang of it and don't start using it at 1 plate lol
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote