REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Police Dog Bite (holy #@&!) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662007-police-dog-bite-holy-%40.html)

StylinRed 01-26-2012 11:02 PM

Police Dog Bite (holy #@&!)

this sk8r broke a window with his board and a police dog got sent after him

he needed over a 100 staples to close the wound

i won't link the pictures as they're really graphic, which might get this sent to NSFW

but they're in the link

here's a quote of the article though

Quote:

Man bitten by VPD dog; PIVOT plans to take to watchdog
Lawyer says multiple wounds took 100 staples to close, calls it a case of serious harm

Erin Loxam/Jill Drews Jan 26, 2012 11:12:46 AM

*Warning: This article contains extremely graphic images*

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The case of man brutally bitten by a police dog is raising questions about the training of the animals. PIVOT Legal Society plans to take the fight to the new police watchdog.

According to PIVOT lawyer Doug King, in June 2011, a construction worker missed catching a bus and, out of frustration, broke a window with his skateboard. King says the VPD used a police dog to help in arresting the man and claims the animal was the first contact with police.

The dog bit Christopher Evans, ripping open his leg.

"The dog latched on a few times to his leg. Mr. Evans says the dog started thrashing, which cause a lot of ripping and tearing. The end result was multiple wounds, which took about 100 staples to close," says King.

"[It caused] scarring, trauma and nerve damage," he adds. "In a situation like Mr. Evans, where all he did was break a window, as bad as that is, he's going to have to deal with these injuries for the rest of his life," he explains.

He wonders if the punishment suited the crime. "Mr. Evans did commit a crime and he did need to be arrested. The problem is we're left with this proportionality. Was it necessary to use a dog? Are the injuries that resulted really justified?"

King claims police feel everything is okay with the K-9 unit, but he argues the stats show otherwise, with increasing injury numbers caused by police dogs. He looks forward to the newly-created Independent Investigations Office taking on the case in the coming months.

"We're hoping that when the office really gets established that the definition of serious harm is included to cover events like this because I think this is the kind of injury that really needs to be looked at independently."

*Warning: Extremely graphic images below*
check the news link out but there are graphic pictures at the bottom of the page with ample warning in the link itself
Man bitten by VPD dog; PIVOT plans to take to watchdog - News1130

BaoTurbo 01-26-2012 11:04 PM

Wow this is a little over the top.

Excelsis 01-26-2012 11:05 PM

:suspicious: for breaking a window?

god damn..

Santofu 01-26-2012 11:05 PM

K I wish I haven't seen that before :heckno:

wstce92 01-26-2012 11:13 PM

serves him right.
here's a thought, don't try to act like a big shot and break a window with your skateboard.
they should've filmed it, and make it mandatory that every punk ass kid in this city watch it.

Nabatron 01-26-2012 11:16 PM

thats what u get for being a dumb fuck! that dawg ate the dudes like a bows!

trip 01-26-2012 11:17 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

theres a chunk hanging between two of the wounds

rageguy 01-26-2012 11:27 PM

Wow a chunk of flesh is missing. There is an actual HOLE in his leg.

Renthal 01-26-2012 11:28 PM

lol imagine the damage US military dogs with titanium teeth could do :ahwow:

unit 01-26-2012 11:31 PM

NSFL

NSX 01-26-2012 11:33 PM

Ummm, article doesn't tell the whole story. Why would they send a k9 after him? Did he run? resist arrest? etc...

1exotic 01-26-2012 11:35 PM

lol that's pretty funny.
got was he deserved.

StylinRed 01-26-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renthal (Post 7776297)
lol imagine the damage US military dogs with titanium teeth could do :ahwow:

Ive heard that VPD police dogs have said teeth but never actually seen/heard anything official

sindragon 01-26-2012 11:36 PM

why did i cllick on those pictures..

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...2/template.jpg

jpark 01-26-2012 11:37 PM

holy shit..

mb_ 01-26-2012 11:40 PM

Sounds like he did more than just break a window.. Probably resisting arrest and running away. Deserved it but a little bit overkill.
Posted via RS Mobile

impactX 01-26-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 7776265)
:suspicious: for breaking a window?

god damn..

Probably for fleeing the scene on the skateboard as he admitted in other articles.

q0192837465 01-26-2012 11:42 PM

I'm too scared to click the link now. But I agree, there must be more to the story, the police won't send a dog after just any petty vandals.
Posted via RS Mobile

Nlkko 01-26-2012 11:46 PM

The news feature all statements from the defendant's lawyer. I would take it with a grain of salt. Don't forget the "so-called" victim is somebody who is willing to send a board through a window just because he miss the bus.

StylinRed 01-26-2012 11:47 PM

more in depth article

Quote:

A man who required nearly 100 staples to close a gaping wound on his leg left by a police dog is now suing the City of Vancouver and two Vancouver police constables.

The incident last June began after Christopher Evans, frustrated that several city buses had passed him while he waited near Clark Drive, broke a bus window with his skateboard.

The 33-year-old hopped on his skateboard and headed home along East Hastings Street, only realized he was being pursued by police when a German shepherd sank its teeth into his right calf.
Headphones in his ears, Evans fell to ground with the dog tearing at his right calf and thigh. The accompanying police officer was about 10 metres down the street and approaching, Evans explained.
“The first contact I had with the police was with the police dog,” he said. “I didn’t know the police were around.”

Backed by Pivot Legal Society, Evans is now suing for what he says was careless and excessive use of a police dog. Civil court documents filed on Dec. 12, 2011 name as defendants the officer at the scene, Const. Richard Ronald Lee, and Const. Howard Rutter, the department’s dog training constable, along with the City of Vancouver.

Evans was initially charged with mischief for breaking the window — which he admits “was a stupid decision” — but Crown counsel dropped the charges after they saw pictures of his leg.

Photos taken by Evans in St. Paul’s hospital immediately after his arrest show a pair of gaping, bloody gashes on his right thigh — one of which runs nearly the width of his upper leg.

“The nurse at the hospital told me it was amazing the dog didn’t rupture my artery and kill me,” Evans said. “They were bringing in all the rookie nurses to come see it.”

He lost his job at a warehouse because he couldn’t put weight on his leg for more than two months after the attack, he added.

VPD spokesman Const. Lindsey Houghton said he could not comment on a case that is before the courts, but noted the department’s dog squad will speak to the media today.

Evans’ lawsuit follows a previous attempt to curb what Pivot Legal Society believes is reckless use of police dogs.

Pivot initially raised this issue with the VPD in the fall of 2010 after a different person sustained serious wounds to his torso when a police officer lost control of his dog during a routine interaction.

The VPD dismissed the complaint in a recent report to the Vancouver police board and said no change in dog-handling policy is required.

“We are asking the Police Complaint Commissioner to order the Vancouver police department take [another] look at their dog squad and ask whether or not this behaviour is reasonable,” said Douglas King, a Pivot lawyer and head of the organization’s policing campaign.

Police dogs and their handlers shouldn’t be first responders during routine incidents, and officers should attempt other arrest tactics before setting a dog loose on a suspect, he said.

The lawsuit comes a week after Pivot obtained statistics from the office of the Police Complaints Commissioner which show that from March 2011 to January 2012, 46 per cent of all serious injuries caused and reported by municipal police in B.C. — including the VPD — came from police dog bites.

eduggan@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: Man sues City of Vancouver after police dog attack

the whole article is good but i bolded some parts i found interesting

he was only charged with mischief (not resisting/evading arrest)

and as the article points out police dog bites are a serious issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 7776318)
The news feature all statements from the defendant's lawyer. I would take it with a grain of salt. Don't forget the "so-called" victim is somebody who is willing to send a board through a window just because he miss the bus.

not for missing the bus but because the buses were not stopping for him

124Y 01-26-2012 11:50 PM

Holy shit those are some big holes!

MelonBoy 01-27-2012 12:21 AM

Hmm story seems to one-sided... missed the bus and broke a window with his skate board?? uhh.. really?

xilley 01-27-2012 12:26 AM

seems a little too much for a window

Nightwalker 01-27-2012 12:37 AM

Seriously bad call by the K-9 unit.

Redlines_Daily 01-27-2012 12:48 AM

I hope he sues the shit out of VPD. Dogs shouldn't be used in situations like this.