REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #26
racing & tech mod.

^ Do you really think the sales guy gives a shit about losing a deal that had no money in it for him to begin with?

I'm happy to make a skinny deal and get a unit bonus.. but if it becomes a shit ton of work and I'm not making any money on it.. I'm not going to lose any sleep if the customer walks.
Advertisement
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #27
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
For the TSX Tech I picked as my new daily driver in Dec, I did all my negotiations with Burrard Acura through mostly email and a couple of phone calls, found that to be so easy, especially with my busy schedule. I was a returning customer to Burrard Acura, so that might explain why they were more willing to do the majority of my negotiations with me through email.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #28
Old School RS

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
once you get your "new" ride... go back there and just TROLL them.. haha.. show them that they lost your business... but you gotta go back to the same sales guy... hopefully he remembers you... and get your friend to film it..
Why would you go back and fuck with the sales guy? He didn't have anything to do with whether the deal was accepted or not, he's just the guy who has to try not to get his ear chewed off when he brings a lowball offer to the desk.

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
^ except thats its sat through a winter of ice and cold and the motor oil/gas have been sitting for who knows how long
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Exactly, the exterior's even got some algae growing on it, probably needs a detail. Battery needs to be replaced. And that's not even including all the fluids and stuff.[/size]
Lol... Many of those fluids are 5+ years and some are lifetime... an extra 6 months isn't going to make or break anything. Batteries do not get replaced every time a car isn't driven for 6 months. And vehicles are detailed before they are delivered, not when they arrive to the dealership.

I'm not arguing that you should try and get a price break on a 2011 vs a 2012, but the price difference is not that big... you are already getting a $4,000 rebate that you would not get on the 2012, and that's pretty much the difference in value, or even more.

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
no fluids are lifetime
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
you're the buyer, dont let them get a hold of you.
walk off, within a week.. i guarantee you, they will b calling and crawling back to suck your dick.
Guarantee?

Looks like you've never bought anything of significant value in your life.
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
late Dec/early Jan.. dealing with Langley Acura on negotiating on trading in my 08 RDX for an 08 TL-S. Initially made a lowball offer and had a discussion with the sales manager directly. He basically said 'look, that TypeS will sell at whatever price i put it on.. it is in excellent condition..i knew the owner and he took immaculate care of it"... So.. waited a few days..salesperson called me and asked if i wanted to make another offer..and so i did.. much more reasonable...again, sales manager refused ..we were approx $1000 apart. Waited a few days... i called the salesperson to follow up.. "so are we done here? you guys are holding out on me for that difference?"..sales guy responds "ok i will try again"... i follow up and he responds ".. i tried everyone here.. we still cant agree to your offer".. i respond "ok, i'm moving on ..thanks for your efforts!". I move on and pick up a TL from Lougheed Acura. Not even a day later, the langley manager calls me "ok lets do this"..i tell him.. 'dude, i got a car already'.

that TL-S ( as well as 2 others) is still sitting on their lot.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
late Dec/early Jan.. dealing with Langley Acura on negotiating on trading in my 08 RDX for an 08 TL-S. Initially made a lowball offer and had a discussion with the sales manager directly. He basically said 'look, that TypeS will sell at whatever price i put it on.. it is in excellent condition..i knew the owner and he took immaculate care of it"... So.. waited a few days..salesperson called me and asked if i wanted to make another offer..and so i did.. much more reasonable...again, sales manager refused ..we were approx $1000 apart. Waited a few days... i called the salesperson to follow up.. "so are we done here? you guys are holding out on me for that difference?"..sales guy responds "ok i will try again"... i follow up and he responds ".. i tried everyone here.. we still cant agree to your offer".. i respond "ok, i'm moving on ..thanks for your efforts!". I move on and pick up a TL from Lougheed Acura. Not even a day later, the langley manager calls me "ok lets do this"..i tell him.. 'dude, i got a car already'.

hahahaha I did the exact same thing,

I LOVE when that happens, when you tell them you already got another car on the phone, their like,

thatl learn em
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:

That doesnt mean you got a better deal. It just means on that TL they probably had more margin to play with. At the end you settled for a lesser model, so not really a comparison.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
That doesnt mean you got a better deal. It just means on that TL they probably had more margin to play with. At the end you settled for a lesser model, so not really a comparison.
was more about what they were giving for 'trade in value' for the RDX. the folks at lougheed gave $2k more than Langley. The TL, albeit a base navi, was also a certified unit with a much longer warranty and lesser in KM by 10000. The -S was a 'lease return' and he told me his cost on it was approx $24k after all the 'service checkups' were done. They had it on the lot for $28995 at 60000km with only balance of factory warranty. At the end of the day, the 'wild side' of me wanted an S but for my daily commuting/family needs, the 'practical side' of me went for the base.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
was more about what they were giving for 'trade in value' for the RDX. the folks at lougheed gave $2k more than Langley. The TL, albeit a base navi, was also a certified unit with a much longer warranty and lesser in KM by 10000. The -S was a 'lease return' and he told me his cost on it was approx $24k after all the 'service checkups' were done. They had it on the lot for $28995 at 60000km with only balance of factory warranty. At the end of the day, the 'wild side' of me wanted an S but for my daily commuting/family needs, the 'practical side' of me went for the base.
I didnt mean it as in whats the right car to purchase. They gave you more on trade b/c they had more profit margin in that certified TL than Burrard did on that TL-S. Thats most likely the case.

Usually lower priced cars have higher profit margins.

E.g. 10K car can ask for 14500 and sell for 13000
22K car can ask for 25-26K and sell for 24K.

It all depends on the specific unit you are looking at. If you were looking at new car vs new car at langley vs burrard. they would have given you similar trade.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

I pulled a CCC report on the car:

2011 Acura RDX AWD 4dr Tech Pkg
Retail Price * Wholesale Price **
Base $42,490.00 $39,091.00
Freight $1,895.00 $1,895.00
Optional equipment selected
- FEDERAL AIR CONDITIONING EXCISE TAX (-EXTAX) $100.00 $100.00
Totals including all items above $44,485.00 $41,086.00

Keep in mind ALL manufacturer incentives/rebates apply AFTER the whole sale price, because $41086 is the how much the dealer paid. The rebates comes from the manufacturer so the dealer could care less.

With the $4000 rebate that you said Acura gives, then you are looking at $41086-4000+HST. Also, there may be some misc levies/tax such as tire tax, dealership fee, etc. These fees can be waived if you are good at negotiation.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #38
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageguy View Post
Spoiler!
So the dealer wants $43k out the door to make the deal... that is approximately $38,200 to the dealer plus HST and excise tax. Assuming the information above regarding the cost is accurate, you don't think it's reasonable for the dealership to earn $1114 for the transaction?

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
^Well they did say they would still lose $1xxx.00 by selling to me at that price, so either they lied or something else is stopping them from selling to me.

Sales guy did call today, apoligized for promising us 42, 42.5, then going to 43, then to 43.5, said he would get us an amazing deal on any pre-owned.

We'll see how that goes.

On another note, theres an 08 tech for super cheap, ------ 2008 Acura RDX Technology 82K AWD GPS Leather FulLoaded Blue -- called and asked for info, told us there was a front end collision repaired at $4xxx.xx

Part of me is telling me it's okay if we go get an inspection done, but other part is saying stay away cuz theres no telling what the owner knows about it.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
Old School RS

It's not unlikely at all. That is just the cost for the car itself, there is still financing which on a unit in stock for 6+ months is easily $500, registration/pack ($250+ at most new car stores), etc. Burrard Acura's property is worth $5M+ itself... the monthly mortgage payment on that ALONE would be $25k+.

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #41
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
On another note, theres an 08 tech for super cheap, ------ 2008 Acura RDX Technology 82K AWD GPS Leather FulLoaded Blue -- called and asked for info, told us there was a front end collision repaired at $4xxx.xx

Part of me is telling me it's okay if we go get an inspection done, but other part is saying stay away cuz theres no telling what the owner knows about it.
Don't want to assume here but a $4000 ICBC Claim on a front end collision is pretty much nothing on a newish luxury car, definitely get it checked out and find out what was done though.
That price looks like a pretty solid deal
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
It's not unlikely at all. That is just the cost for the car itself, there is still financing which on a unit in stock for 6+ months is easily $500, registration/pack ($250+ at most new car stores), etc. Burrard Acura's property is worth $5M+ itself... the monthly mortgage payment on that ALONE would be $25k+.

Mark
I do understand, businesses need profit to stay alive, all im complaining about is how they kept on raising the price. We offered 42k which even the salesman thought was reasonable. On the salesman first call to the manager, they said 43k at least. We countered with 42.5k then we left. They call back saying that they need 43.5k? I don't know why they bothered to call if the price was gonna be even more.

Nothing against the dealership, and also no hard feelings for the salesman. I think that he did do his best to get that price, but just couldn't do it. If anything, the one complaint would be the attitude he held over the phone while trying to tell us we wouldn't find a better deal.

Also wanna say thanks to jaemc for trying to help us find a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Don't want to assume here but a $4000 ICBC Claim on a front end collision is pretty much nothing on a newish luxury car, definitely get it checked out and find out what was done though.
That price looks like a pretty solid deal
Price looks very good, not so sure about the condition of the car though. Also fairly high mileage for a 3ish year old car. We'll check it out on the weekend, also try to see how we'll sort things out regarding the inspection.

Should buyer always pay 100% for the inspection? Or should we sort something out for something like 50-50 buyer-seller?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #43
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
You want the car, you pay. Unless he's a really motivated seller.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #44
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

$1g difference , big fucking deal

YOu really think dealership gives a rat ass shit about losing one customer?

meh
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #45
I am on the internets

you're an idiot, if you grind the guy for 1000 off on already discounted car, that's been sitting their for a year.. go buy a fucking honda or toyota. hes working his ass off to get you a deal and get himself a number on the board and all you do is sit on the other end of the phone and go "no".

hate people like you. dont buy a luxury car if you cannot afford it.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

shoulda got a base model CRV

instead acting cocky like the dealership is gonna suck ur dick and beg u to buy the car
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
$1g difference , big fucking deal

YOu really think dealership gives a rat ass shit about losing one customer?

meh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
shoulda got a base model CRV

instead acting cocky like the dealership is gonna suck ur dick and beg u to buy the car
I never expected the dealership to care about one customer. We tried our best to work with the dealership to make a deal. When they increased the cost to 42.5K we still thought it was a killer deal, we were going to go buy it the next day TBH. 43k same deal, kept us back another day but still thought it was a good deal.

When they called the next next day and said 43.5k we just thought they were taking advantage of how we were so interested to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
you're an idiot, if you grind the guy for 1000 off on already discounted car, that's been sitting their for a year.. go buy a fucking honda or toyota. hes working his ass off to get you a deal and get himself a number on the board and all you do is sit on the other end of the phone and go "no".

hate people like you. dont buy a luxury car if you cannot afford it.
Thats like buying something off craigslist for $100, negotiating to $80. When you go buy it he says it has to be more than what you negotiated.

Would you still buy it?

Nobody says we cant afford it, when you're buying a car for 40k+ usually you dont care about little extra. But in this case we felt that we were being taken advantage over. So we called the deal off and looked for another steal of the deal.

Last edited by LP700-4; 01-31-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
Old School RS

Let the record be clear that I don't condone overpaying and there are lots of shady operators in the industry, I just happen to see that there are a lot of pretty crummy buyers too. This is a post I wrote on another thread regarding negotiating for a car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I always try to think of things in terms of "what does this money mean to me, and what does it mean to them?" I am definitely a hard negotiator when it comes to buying things, but at a point, you need to figure out what's worth your time and energy and what isn't. For example...

If you are spending $25,000 on a car and there is $2000 profit in it for the dealership (unlikely), then a $1000 discount means that you are paying 4% less for the car, but the dealership is making 50% less profit. It is still $1000 either way, but it represents a much smaller portion of your outlay than the dealership's profit.

I dont work in a new car store, but from what I understand, manufacturer's rebates do not reduce the dealer's margins. Therefore you should (in theory) be able to make the same offer and have it accepted whether there is a $1000 MC promotion in place or not.

If you make a fair and reasonable offer and don't piss me off in the process, I will always work hard to make a deal for you, I am confident that is the case across the industry. In the end though, if it's only a small amount of money that you are apart, just make the deal. It really is a very small contributor to the cheque you write or your monthly payment, but makes a big difference to the salesperson, who generally can make as little as $150 selling you a cheap car.

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #49
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
I do understand, businesses need profit to stay alive, all im complaining about is how they kept on raising the price. We offered 42k which even the salesman thought was reasonable. On the salesman first call to the manager, they said 43k at least. We countered with 42.5k then we left. They call back saying that they need 43.5k? I don't know why they bothered to call if the price was gonna be even more.
They way I read your story, it doesn't sound like they raised the price. It sounds like you and and salesperson started too low, and had to keep trying till you got up to the lowest price. That is not the same as raising a price.

You offered $42 and the salesman thought that was reasonable - but he never confirmed that it was POSSIBLE.

The sales manager told him AT LEAST $43k, which clearly means it could be more.

Not sure why you then offered $42,5K when they told you it would be AT LEAST $43,5k.

I would go as far as saying that the salesperson failed you by setting your discount expectation higher than he should have in the first place. I can say that because I've done it myself. (shot myself in the foot by doing so) Even after 5 years of doing this I still make mistakes, everyone does.

It's an easy trap for a salesperson to fall into - suggesting it might be possible to get $$$$ discount, before he's checked with the manager to actually see what kind of discount is possible. The problem is the customer gets that expectation in his head and when he doesn't get the price, it doesn't seem like a good deal anymore, even if it still IS a good deal in reality.

Basically, it's not always about the final price, but rather 'how you get to' the final price.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #50
racing & tech mod.

Also, for people who are using car cost to find invoice on a car, it doesn't tell you the whole story. You don't know what it costs the dealer in interest to have that car on the lot, the overhead for property and staff and other associated costs, BEFORE they start making any clean profit.
This post thanked by: