REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
If you want to be a dick, the cop did a "rolling stop" also did he not? No excuse if his lights weren't on
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
Saw that too, but dont think i have the cahonas to say that in court and hope to get away with it LOL
Officers are allowed to break the law to enforce the law, mentioning it in court would have no impact.

I once had an officer tailgate only a few feet from my bumper after he caught me speeding. It was a dick move and I didn't appreciate it, hell I even considered slamming on my brakes, yet I was in the wrong and he was doing his job so sometimes you just gotta take a breath and relax.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is why our courts are so backed up and drunk drivers are going free because their cases are taking too long to be heard. Congratulations on being part of the problem, asshole.
The correct response is:

This is why roadside punishments are being enacted, cause abuse of the court system isn't providing "justice" to society. Thanks for encouraging future roadside punishments.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Officers are allowed to break the law to enforce the law, mentioning it in court would have no impact.

I once had an officer tailgate only a few feet from my bumper after he caught me speeding. It was a dick move and I didn't appreciate it, hell I even considered slamming on my brakes, yet I was in the wrong and he was doing his job so sometimes you just gotta take a breath and relax.
while this is true, and i agree completely, i would still bring it up so as to show my distain for the fact that one is receiving a ticket for something as futile as a rolling stop on an empty street, which then the police officer does himself. Now, had the police officer truly believed this maneuver was endangering people, then clearly he wouldn't have done it himself, this was not a chase.

again, i wouldn't expect anything to come from this other than maybe getting 10 people in the room to think about things, and that's good enough for me (i really think we need a complete overhaul of laws, driving standards, driving education, our roads etc. and i'd love to start this movement)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
while this is true, and i agree completely, i would still bring it up so as to show my distain for the fact that one is receiving a ticket for something as futile as a rolling stop on an empty street, which then the police officer does himself. Now, had the police officer truly believed this maneuver was endangering people, then clearly he wouldn't have done it himself, this was not a chase.

again, i wouldn't expect anything to come from this other than maybe getting 10 people in the room to think about things, and that's good enough for me (i really think we need a complete overhaul of laws, driving standards, driving education, our roads etc. and i'd love to start this movement)
Lead the way, i will follow
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #30
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Skimmed through OP's post, and watched the YouTube video without fully reading last section.

Thought the "rolling stop" occurred at 00:07-00:08.
Watch up to 01:10, then realized that wasn't OP's dash cam....but the police's
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Skimmed through OP's post, and watched the YouTube video without fully reading last section.

Thought the "rolling stop" occurred at 00:07-00:08.
Watch up to 01:10, then realized that wasn't OP's dash cam....but the police's
LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #32
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I don't understand why people think police officers need to have their lights on to roll through the stop sign. There's nothing in the MVA about that.

Motor Vehicle Act
hmm..thanks. Did not know this, however "4444" is on the same page as me with my intentions
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
what is a rolling stop? if your still moving, how do you stop?
if what you mean is slow down to a crawl while not stopping at the stop line or red light, then yes you will get a ticket...
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

dispute it .
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

Laws can't always be left for drivers to interpret though. The law for a stop sign needs to say drivers have to stop. It can't say drivers must stop unless they deem it's safe to just roll through. I agree with you, in that our education here is lacking compared to some other countries (people loooove to compare us to Germany) - but people also forget that Germany is extremely strict with their laws - People actually drive 50 in a 50 zone.

I understand where you're coming from - and some police officers will turn a blind eye to things that they deem ok. If they wrote a ticket for every single infraction they see, I'm sure they will never make it down the block. But in this case - the PO was not incorrect to issue a ticket.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #36

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
honestly: you just got unlucky.

i saw the video and to me that's pretty much the way everybody drives.
anyone who says they do complete stops at stop signs and drive on a regular basis are lying, i don't care what you say. even my mom doesn't drive like that, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT.

pay for it, but just learn to recognize cop headlights at night.. it helps.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is why our courts are so backed up and drunk drivers are going free because their cases are taking too long to be heard. Congratulations on being part of the problem, asshole.
Honestly its only because cops always tell me to fight it, if they didnt i would just pay it. But a cop telling you to fight it has to say something.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

I like how the notes say the cop put his lights on further down the road, but he clearly rolls the stop sign too. Without his lights on, meaning he broke the law as well as cops have to follow all the same road rules when their lights are off.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #39
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Without his lights on, meaning he broke the law as well as cops have to follow all the same road rules when their lights are off.
No they don't..
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

if you are worried about the fine or penalty points, then dispute the ticket. plead guilty, as you did "break the law" for that rolling stop of yours. you might be able to have a reduction in points or the fine itself.

if this was in richmond, you have a better chance of having an officer not show up to the court date (you never know still). Apparently Richmond is the training ground for police officers, so by the time you get your court date in 6months to over 1 year, they might be working on a new jurisdiction.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
No they don't..
Yes, they do.

The only exception to my understanding is if they are on the way to a crime scene/break in/whatever. He is clearly not in a "chase" in this video, and also clearly rolled the stop sign.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #42
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Yes, they do.

The only exception to my understanding is if they are on the way to a crime scene/break in/whatever. He is clearly not in a "chase" in this video, and also clearly rolled the stop sign.
I posted this on the previous page.

The different police detachments might have their own internal regulations that I'm unaware of, but the BC MVA does not state they need their lights on to qualify for the exemption.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
If you want to be a dick, the cop did a "rolling stop" also did he not? No excuse if his lights weren't on
I don't understand why people think police officers need to have their lights on to roll through the stop sign. There's nothing in the MVA about that.

Quote:
Exemption for emergency vehicles

122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:

(a) exceed the speed limit;

(b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;

(c) disregard rules and traffic control devices governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions;

(d) stop or stand.

(2) The driver of an emergency vehicle must not exercise the privileges granted by subsection (1) except in accordance with the regulations.

(3) [Repealed 1997-30-2.]

(4) The driver of an emergency vehicle exercising a privilege granted by subsection (1) must drive with due regard for safety, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the following:

(a) the nature, condition and use of the highway;

(b) the amount of traffic that is on, or might reasonably be expected to be on, the highway;

(c) the nature of the use being made of the emergency vehicle at the time.
Motor Vehicle Act
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
if you are worried about the fine or penalty points, then dispute the ticket. plead guilty, as you did "break the law" for that rolling stop of yours. you might be able to have a reduction in points or the fine itself.

if this was in richmond, you have a better chance of having an officer not show up to the court date (you never know still). Apparently Richmond is the training ground for police officers, so by the time you get your court date in 6months to over 1 year, they might be working on a new jurisdiction.
Interesting! No wonder criminals in Richmond never get caught, cops here all noobies! lol!

Sorry if i was no clear in my original message. I have disputed the ticket, this thread was created to get more opinions on whether i should plead guilty or fight the ticket. But from the over whelming response from you guys ive decided to just plead guilty and hope they give me a reduction. Court date March 6! Wish me luck lol!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #44
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I can't remember the last time I came to a complete stop and felt my suspension rebound.

Quote:
See I've had this happen once or twice to me too. If you slam your brakes because you see a raccoon jump out in front of your car and the cruiser rear ends you, if it gonna be his fault?

I'm assuming that if you did "brake check" a cop and he hit you that they would probably do something to make you regret doing it. But just considering the main question, would it be his fault?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
See I've had this happen once or twice to me too. If you slam your brakes because you see a raccoon jump out in front of your car and the cruiser rear ends you, if it gonna be his fault?

I'm assuming that if you did "brake check" a cop and he hit you that they would probably do something to make you regret doing it. But just considering the main question, would it be his fault?
I've asked this before, and the answer was "you better be a good actor".

How nervous are you going to be lying in a court of law. Plus you'll probably get a dangerous driving ticket right away and have to fight that too.

In the end, not worth it. If they are tailgating you, its most likely for a reason. The reason in my case was probably my friend's car had all the windows blacked out and it happened late at night.

What I do now is just pull over/change lanes. The cop can either decide to follow me in which case I know I'm in trouble and pull over and stop, or he just continues on and I know he was just being a douche canoe. Its inconvenient, yet the best alternative.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
I've asked this before, and the answer was "you better be a good actor".

How nervous are you going to be lying in a court of law. Plus you'll probably get a dangerous driving ticket right away and have to fight that too.
Ya that's pretty much what I figured, definitely not worth the hassle.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #47
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I'll admit, I used to stop after the line, until I almost ran over a pedestrian at night, running to catch the bus. That mu'fucker popped outta nowhere
From that moment on, I tell myself to always stop on the line, look both ways, and then proceed.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #48
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I would just plead guilty as that video clearly shows that you didn't fully come to a stop before you turned. That said, I'm still waiting for my courtdate for my "following too close" ticket last May in which I wished that I had an accident recorder back then The courts are so backed up! It's going to cost tax payers more money than what my ticket is worth, but it's the principle of the matter!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
I would just plead guilty as that video clearly shows that you didn't fully come to a stop before you turned. That said, I'm still waiting for my courtdate for my "following too close" ticket last May in which I wished that I had an accident recorder back then The courts are so backed up! It's going to cost tax payers more money than what my ticket is worth, but it's the principle of the matter!
Did a cop see you and pull you over? Or was this an accident?

If i cop pulled you over ask for disclosure as i did to retrieve the video footage i have in the original post. You also get the notes of the officer and whatever evidence he might have on you. If you need it PM me ill give you the details and a template to work on.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #50
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Laws can't always be left for drivers to interpret though. The law for a stop sign needs to say drivers have to stop. It can't say drivers must stop unless they deem it's safe to just roll through. I agree with you, in that our education here is lacking compared to some other countries (people loooove to compare us to Germany) - but people also forget that Germany is extremely strict with their laws - People actually drive 50 in a 50 zone.

I understand where you're coming from - and some police officers will turn a blind eye to things that they deem ok. If they wrote a ticket for every single infraction they see, I'm sure they will never make it down the block. But in this case - the PO was not incorrect to issue a ticket.
you get what i mean here, which is good - the rule is a rule, it was broken, it sucks - i just think we need to rethink the rules, however teh sad thing is we are just not good enough drivers to change the rules (which would benefit us all) - first step is significantly increased driver education and increased standards required to get a license. then, and only then, can we impliment more yield signs, or variable stop systems (for example why do traffic lights need to be on for intersections in teh middle of the night, why not have flashing green for principal roads (granville, oak)/flashing reds for the side streets (a granville & 41st would still have full time traffic lights as this is a major intersection) - ideas like this should be considered

i only say that as an example as when i lived in tsawwassen, i used to get so annoyed at stopping at red lights for nothing, not another car anywhere at 2am in teh morning - just a waste of my time & natural resources

i really wish this were on ppl's lips as opposed to 'speed kills' which is what EVERYONE thinks - speed only kills here because our roads suck, our pedestrians have full right of way, and our drivers are terrible. if speed killed, would germany, england, the US not have a significnatly higher road death rate, as they drive faster there

/rant
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: