REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
jbsali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 271 Times in 76 Posts
you rolled through a stop sign and went over the stop line at the red light. pay your ticket and move on..
Advertisement
__________________
jbsali
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #52
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,741
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is why our courts are so backed up and drunk drivers are going free because their cases are taking too long to be heard. Congratulations on being part of the problem, asshole.
1) Drunk driving cases are tried in provincial court, not traffic court.
2) If cops gave less b.s. tickets for minor infractions, like catching speeders at the bottom of a hill, it would go a long way to minimizing court resources.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #53
is best wrench
 
monkeywrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,479
Thanked 1,081 Times in 267 Posts
There's no exception for rolling stops at a stop sign. You must reach a dead stop for it to be legal. You have evidence for the police, good job!
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS
 
falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,402
Thanked 900 Times in 387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
you get what i mean here, which is good - the rule is a rule, it was broken, it sucks - i just think we need to rethink the rules, however teh sad thing is we are just not good enough drivers to change the rules (which would benefit us all) - first step is significantly increased driver education and increased standards required to get a license. then, and only then, can we impliment more yield signs, or variable stop systems (for example why do traffic lights need to be on for intersections in teh middle of the night, why not have flashing green for principal roads (granville, oak)/flashing reds for the side streets (a granville & 41st would still have full time traffic lights as this is a major intersection) - ideas like this should be considered

i only say that as an example as when i lived in tsawwassen, i used to get so annoyed at stopping at red lights for nothing, not another car anywhere at 2am in teh morning - just a waste of my time & natural resources

i really wish this were on ppl's lips as opposed to 'speed kills' which is what EVERYONE thinks - speed only kills here because our roads suck, our pedestrians have full right of way, and our drivers are terrible. if speed killed, would germany, england, the US not have a significnatly higher road death rate, as they drive faster there

/rant
They dont' drive that much faster here in Germany. The only difference is the left lane is kind of a free for all, but not everywhere. Many freeways here have speed limits around 110-120kph or so. But they are really twisty and even at night I don't feel safe driving that speed on them. Also, here in Germany when there IS a speed limit, everyone follows it. The penalties are really high and points system.

Here, parents dont' save for a University education because it's practically free (say, 500euro/semester at some of the top schools in Germany) they save for their kids' drivers license which can cost over 2000euro when it's all said and done. Lessons are not optional, they are mandatory. You can't drive until you're 18 either.

I agree with all the licensing stuff they have here and think it should be implemented in Canada (aside from the 18/yr age, just due to the fact we don't have a wicked train/transit system like they do here and it would be impossible to get around efficiently).
__________________
FOR SALE: 14'' MR2 MK1 wheels with 90% rubber $130, FD RX7 Transmission $200, Hitch Mount Snowboard/Ski rack w/ THULE clamps, locks $200. PM me for details!

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #55
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 807
Thanked 40 Times in 11 Posts
HOW did u get this video?
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #56
RS controls my life!
 
SupraTTturbo2jz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ?
Posts: 727
Thanked 217 Times in 76 Posts
you did a rolling stop but, so did the cop while he was following you without his lights on. Trying to find excuse to give a b.s. ticket. Fight the ticket cause the cop should have done a complete stop if he was completely with the law.
__________________
ddd
SupraTTturbo2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
you did a rolling stop but, so did the cop while he was following you without his lights on. Trying to find excuse to give a b.s. ticket. Fight the ticket cause the cop should have done a complete stop if he was completely with the law.
You obviously haven't read the entire thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #58
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
z3german's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,112
Thanked 881 Times in 282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp>dom View Post
HOW did u get this video?
You send them a letter asking them for disclosure. Disclosure is basically any evidence the officer is going to use in court against you, its part of your freedom of rights to have a fair trial. If you want PM me ill send you a template!
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #59
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 807
Thanked 40 Times in 11 Posts
^ pm sent
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #60
dL
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,716
Thanked 260 Times in 107 Posts
Here's my take.

Basically, you are guilty. I don't even know why you need to post your evidence here. You can even watch it yourself and come to a conclusion. However.

I would suggest you dispute the ticket as there is a possible chance where the cop may not show up. However, if the cop does show up, then simply plead guilty and pay up. There is no point in raising the point that the cop failed to stop completely as they have the rights to break the law to enforce a law. BUT.

Disputing a ticket means you have to attend court. That may take away one of your work days or vacation or whatever. Whether this is worth it to you or not is up to you to decide. If you do pay early, at least you have $25 deduction which is not bad but I think you will get 2 to 3 (?) points deducted since you admit guilt.

No offence to anyone, while to some people disputing may seem like an unethical move, I seriously question the people who fail anyone in this post to reflect on yourself. Have you ever not speeded? Have you ever not performed a rolling stop? Suggesting a dispute is an option provided to us. Whether you choose to dispute or not is based on your decision and conscience.

Sadly, law is law and when the police officer decides to enforce it strictly, technically 95% of the citizens out there can easily get a ticket. To me, your action is one of the typical behaviours of what people normally do (i.e. 10km/h over speed limit, rolling stop, left turn into the right lane, right turn into the left lane, etc.) Is it right? No. Is it dangerous? Depends. In your situation, it is not dangerous because that intersection is extremely wide and you can easily see the oncoming traffic on Lansdowne although this behaviour can lead to an accident in other situations. This is a good lesson to reflect on the potential consequences that can possibly happen in another setting and situation in the future.

If I were the cop, I would still pull you over but give you a warning about the consequences that can happen if you do perform a rolling stop. That's just me. Sadly, cops in Richmond are far from that.

Not sure if you checked this page out yet, but take a read here. It's in the police forum.

Hope that helps.

dL
__________________
concaved flushed white on white axela | flickr

Last edited by dL; 02-10-2012 at 12:38 PM.
dL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dL View Post
No offence to anyone, while to some people disputing may seem like an unethical move, I seriously question the people who fail anyone in this post to reflect on yourself. Have you ever not speeded? Have you ever not performed a rolling stop? Suggesting a dispute is an option provided to us. Whether you choose to dispute or not is based on your decision and conscience.
The right to dispute is there to provide the innocent the chance to defend themselves against undeserved charges. It is NOT there for the cheap or selfish to waste the cop's and court's time in the vague hope that they might get to skate on a well-deserved ticket.

Quote:
In your situation, it is not dangerous because that intersection is extremely wide and you can easily see the oncoming traffic on Lansdowne although this behaviour can lead to an accident in other situations.
I'm sure a certain van driver recently in Ontario thought it was safe to roll through a stop sign, because it was the middle of the night on little-used country roads across flat, open country with lots of visibility... right up until the grill of a flatdeck smacked him in the face and ended the lives of eleven people.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #62
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,940 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
They dont' drive that much faster here in Germany. The only difference is the left lane is kind of a free for all, but not everywhere. Many freeways here have speed limits around 110-120kph or so. But they are really twisty and even at night I don't feel safe driving that speed on them. Also, here in Germany when there IS a speed limit, everyone follows it. The penalties are really high and points system.

Here, parents dont' save for a University education because it's practically free (say, 500euro/semester at some of the top schools in Germany) they save for their kids' drivers license which can cost over 2000euro when it's all said and done. Lessons are not optional, they are mandatory. You can't drive until you're 18 either.

I agree with all the licensing stuff they have here and think it should be implemented in Canada (aside from the 18/yr age, just due to the fact we don't have a wicked train/transit system like they do here and it would be impossible to get around efficiently).
i completely agree with everything you say, but:

110-120kph is quite a bit faster than 80-90 we get on motorways - so much so that 121 in an 80 zone will lose you your license here, whereas you'll be doing the limit in Germany

and its true that because speed limits are reasonable in europe, ppl follow them - in england you drive at 80mph on the motorway (the accepted limit, the actual limit is 70, but no policeman will ever ticket you for 80, that is accepted), some drive a tad slower, some drive a tad faster, but 80mph is a great speed limit.

education needs to go up here, insurance for <25 yr olds needs to go up here (i say that as a >25 yr old male - i'm now subsidizing <25 yr old idiots with my annual premiums), infrastructure needs to go up, respect for the vehicle needs to go up (they kill, things like drinking and driving shouldn't even be an issue as cars can kill you and others way too easily), and speed limits needs to go up

again, /rant
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #63
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
education needs to go up here, insurance for <25 yr olds needs to go up here (i say that as a >25 yr old male - i'm now subsidizing <25 yr old idiots with my annual premiums),
In BC, your age has NOTHING AT ALL to do with your insurance premiums.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,940 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
In BC, your age has NOTHING AT ALL to do with your insurance premiums.
that's right - but they should

any other place where the government isn't in control of everything in our life, males under the age of 25 pay SIGNIFICANT premiums for insurance, as they are proven to be a higher risk
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #65
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
that's right - but they should

any other place where the government isn't in control of everything in our life, males under the age of 25 pay SIGNIFICANT premiums for insurance, as they are proven to be a higher risk
And that alone is unique in the insurance world. No other form of insurance bases risk premiums on the participant's AGE.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,940 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And that alone is unique in the insurance world. No other form of insurance bases risk premiums on the participant's AGE.
its based on fact - there is proof that <25 yr old males have a higher risk of causing an accident than just about anyone else

just like how i would pay higher contents insurance for the contents of my apartment in downtown vancouver is higher than it would be in say tsawwassen, on the basis that it is more likely you will have a break in or 'issue' in downtown

this discussion/disagreement is pointless - i'd be really interested to see whether there are any other places (non government run) that don't charge premiums for <25yr old males
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #67
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
its based on fact - there is proof that <25 yr old males have a higher risk of causing an accident than just about anyone else

just like how i would pay higher contents insurance for the contents of my apartment in downtown vancouver is higher than it would be in say tsawwassen, on the basis that it is more likely you will have a break in or 'issue' in downtown
It's not the same, actually, because you can choose where you live, and if you want to factor home insurance costs into that choice, you can. You don't get to choose your age, and in general, don't get to choose your gender. In fact, everything that ICBC's rates are determined on - vehicle choice, vehicle use, type of driving, area of residence - are all things that you have a choice in. Things like age, sex, race, ethnicity, and other factors you have no control over, don't come in play, nor should they.

Besides, why is the "dividing line" set at 25? Why not 23? Or 27? Is there some switch in the mail brain that flips on your 25th birthday that magically imbues greater skill and responsibility behind the wheel?

Quote:
this discussion/disagreement is pointless - i'd be really interested to see whether there are any other places (non government run) that don't charge premiums for <25yr old males
This has been discussed before... there are other jurisdictions where this is not the case. The EU has actually banned the use of gender in assessing insurance risk.

Ultimately, basing YOUR insurance risk on YOUR driving record is ultimately more fair than basing it on the demographic you're a part of.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #68
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,940 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
It's not the same, actually, because you can choose where you live, and if you want to factor home insurance costs into that choice, you can. You don't get to choose your age, and in general, don't get to choose your gender. In fact, everything that ICBC's rates are determined on - vehicle choice, vehicle use, type of driving, area of residence - are all things that you have a choice in. Things like age, sex, race, ethnicity, and other factors you have no control over, don't come in play, nor should they.

Besides, why is the "dividing line" set at 25? Why not 23? Or 27? Is there some switch in the mail brain that flips on your 25th birthday that magically imbues greater skill and responsibility behind the wheel?


This has been discussed before... there are other jurisdictions where this is not the case. The EU has actually banned the use of gender in assessing insurance risk.

Ultimately, basing YOUR insurance risk on YOUR driving record is ultimately more fair than basing it on the demographic you're a part of.
statistics mandate the 25 yr old switchover, on average people (males particularily) become more responsible, safe drivers.

male/female, i couldn't care less for, but definitely <25 yr old people should be paying more, based on STATISTICS, fact, not perception, ignornace or anything else.

my example re: home contents insurance was not to illustrate an apple vs. an orange, as you have provided, rather the fact that age is a factor in assessing ones insurance risk, much as one's age, based on statistics on at fault incidents, is, or at least should be in a free and open market insurance sector (which BC isn't thanks to our socialist government), a factor in determining one's insurance premium.

again, you seem to be taking what i'm saying and then arguing apples vs. oranges, thus there is no point continuing this = the conclusion from all of this is that >25 yr olds are paying a premium that should be passed down onto <25 year old, yet ANOTHER reason government intervention skews fair market rates, which is not a good thing for the population on the whole.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #69
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
that's right - but they should

any other place where the government isn't in control of everything in our life, males under the age of 25 pay SIGNIFICANT premiums for insurance, as they are proven to be a higher risk
That would be somewhat redundant given that the higher accident rate among young people is a result largely of inexperience and young drivers begin insuring a car with no experience discount, compared to mature drivers who almost all have significant discounts to reflect experience.

I would not support raising rates on an entire group, regardless of any bias I may have as a young male. Set rates based on individual driving records, punish people with multiple accidents or VTs with ruthlessly high rates if need be.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #70
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
ToneCapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 562
Thanked 344 Times in 104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
You send them a letter asking them for disclosure. Disclosure is basically any evidence the officer is going to use in court against you, its part of your freedom of rights to have a fair trial. If you want PM me ill send you a template!
nevermind
__________________
test
ToneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #71
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
male/female, i couldn't care less for, but definitely <25 yr old people should be paying more, based on STATISTICS, fact, not perception, ignornace or anything else.
Basing it on your individual driving record IS basing it on FACT. Statistics if just punishing good drivers for the collective sins of a few bad ones.

Quote:
again, you seem to be taking what i'm saying and then arguing apples vs. oranges, thus there is no point continuing this
YOU'RE the one comparing auto insurance premiums to home insurance. This is the second time you've surrendered, though, so I shall graciously accept your concession.

Quote:
the conclusion from all of this is that >25 yr olds are paying a premium that should be passed down onto <25 year old,
I'm 43. My insurance for the last 27+ years has been based on my own driving record and nobody else's. I have no need to see good drivers <25 subsidize my rates.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net