REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #101
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsot View Post
Damn that mango snoothie looks good.
Which roti canai did you order? Regular or whole wheat?

What was included and not included in your set menu?
Whole wheat? We got regular.

Everything you see is included EXCEPT drinks. We were going to order more but we were stuffed by the end. I was gonna try the soft shell crab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I just had this last week with extra noodles. Portion looks about the same as the regular sized one in your picture
ORLY? They told me it would be double the amount.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #102
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I just had this last week with extra noodles. Portion looks about the same as the regular sized one in your picture
yeah i ordered the large size and it wasnt that much more than a regular order for the tsukemen. i also found the tsukemen now to be pretty subpar. noodles were a bit too hard and not al dente. broth was lacking flavor. seemed better the first time i had it about a year and a half ago.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #103
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
^
Started off dipping the noodles in the broth. By the third bite, I was eating it like a noodle soup (which would make it a little too salty, but better than bland).

In the end, it didn't blow my mind. If I'm going back, it'd be for their regular ramen.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #104
...in the world.

The fact that some of my older blog posts use pictures that were sized for the old blog format has always bothered me since the pictures always appear too small. My post on Sushi Dai in Tokyo's Tsukiji Market is one of my most popular posts and has hundreds of thousands of views since it was posted in 2008...but all the pics were tiny.

So...I dug up the old RAW files and resized/edited.

Blog post: Sushi Dai @ Tsukiji Market – Tokyo, Japan

This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #105
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Sushi in japan just melts in your mouth like butter.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #106
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Funny enough, I had the same chef making me the sushi when I went, both times! :
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #107
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Funny enough, I had the same chef making me the sushi when I went, both times! :
Same. I brought a different friend the second time and he remembered me, asked me how I know so many pretty girls.

Love that place. Hope they stay the same even when the market moves.

====

New post today.

Double Double is a Chinese restaurant in Richmond specializing in Chinese donuts but they make just about everything pretty damned good. They're popular so you might have to wait in line.

Blog post: Double Double Restaurant

This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #108
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Damn that tofu looks good.

Take me with you!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #109
degenerate extraordinaire

Everybody that we've talked to, who has eaten there, says they're never going back. Good reputation from the old location, but sub-par food at the current place. Stale 'donuts'? Unacceptable, given the name and the legacy it holds.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #110
...in the world.

I've been back several times and it holds up. I never went to the old one but some of my friends that frequented it before it burned down say that the new place is great.

Stale donuts? I've only been during peak hours but they seem to be pumping them out and selling them quick. No reason to have any around that long.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #111

No idea. Parents went, extended family went, family friends went. All at different times, and they all said they're not returning.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #112
...in the world.

Not surprised considering the amount of highly mixed reviews I found on Urbanspoon. I can only speak about my own experiences on my site and every time I've gone, I've had a good meal. Most of the complaints are about poor service, not the food.

Have you gone personally?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #113

I've yet to go to the Richmond location, only been to the old location when I was a lot younger. Only made a single attempt to try the new location, and I walked away when I saw the line up.
This was when it first opened though.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #114
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I went to the "low yau tiu" in richmond, and Im never going back mainly due to service and a little on the food. I love the beef brisket with ho fun, and its damn good value and is tasty thats why I frequent it before but I just couldnt get over the service.

3-4/5 times Ive went, the "yau tiu" chinese donut was cold/stale as Ikkaku said. It wasnt freshly fried or even hot for that matter, it seems like they fry them all before hand and keep them in their little container up at the front near the cashier and just take one out as people order. The last time I went which really pushed me over the edge was when I asked them if they could refry it or get me a hot one, and they said this was as fresh as it gets. So needless to say I was quite pissed

So to sum it up, the service sucks horrible there, but the food is generally good value and tasty I find.

Last edited by wingies; 02-16-2013 at 09:06 AM.
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #115
...in the world.

I hardly ever judge Chinese restaurants in terms of service. I just expect mediocre service. If I pay less than $10 for a meal, the only things I'd expect are that the server takes my order and brings me my food.

Again, if you read Urbanspoon, your complaints aren't uncommon.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #116
...in the world.

An upcoming post:

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #117
...in the world.

So a bit of news: I'll be covering new restaurants for Vancity Buzz, such as Nosh, the restaurant I went to on the weekend.

They're not a sponsor so I won't be posting links directly to VCB but there will be links on my food blog every time I post over there. Here's a couple of preview pics:

Good place, BTW. Decent prices and all the food is quite good.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #118
...in the world.

Back from a short hiatus because I was sick as hell for a week and a half.

New post: 2013 Healthy Chef Competition

Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #119
...in the world.

New post today: The Spud Shack Fry Co.

Train stations are usually litered with golden arches and other fast food royalty rather than actual good food but out in New Westminster, there's a little shop making some of the best poutine in Vancouver.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #120
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
New post today: The Spud Shack Fry Co.

Train stations are usually litered with golden arches and other fast food royalty rather than actual good food but out in New Westminster, there's a little shop making some of the best poutine in Vancouver.

Spoiler!
I was actually going to head out there this weekend, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

How is it compared to Fritz or more importantly (to me at least), La Belle Patate? I love me some poutine so I'm always up for it, especially La Belle Patate. If this is as good if not better, it saves me a trip out to Davie
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #121
...in the world.

I haven't tried those places, to be honest.

I like the crispy fries at Spud Shack. Most places don't get that nice crust on the outside.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #122

Quote:
I haven't tried those places, to be honest.

I like the crispy fries at Spud Shack. Most places don't get that nice crust on the outside.
I just thought I'd bump the discussion since I went over the weekend.

Fries (I think at least) were better than LBP. Gravy was a tad saltier, but definitely some squeaky cheese being used at the Spud Shack. Overall I think it's a great place to watch the game with a beer and some great poutine!

Prices are somewhat in line with LBP, so I won't complain (but I will because how can poutine be so expensive? )
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #123
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Wow I must try this Spud Shack place. Poutines are awesome
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschedog View Post
Wow I must try this Spud Shack place. Poutines are awesome
It's literally off of the skytrain platform (Eastbound I believe. You get off the train, pass the turn-stiles, and boom you're there). Great for stumbling back on the train after a few drinks
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #125
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Everybody that we've talked to, who has eaten there, says they're never going back. Good reputation from the old location, but sub-par food at the current place. Stale 'donuts'? Unacceptable, given the name and the legacy it holds.
Yea, too bad as that's what I've heard from everyone too. I used to go all the time when they were on Main St. When they moved to Kingsway I went a few times but it was already not quite the same. Looks like it's even worse now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote