REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #51
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Based on your first post, it seems as though you have probably already been scammed by these guys and your failed efforts to console yourself have been unfulfilling thus far.

Starbucks is a luxury, no one goes there thinking there are getting the best value priced coffee on the planet. It's the same as when someone buys a Gucci murse, or Prada handbag. They know they are paying for the prestige, or perceived brand image, rather than getting a 'hot deal'. I am not surprised you can't comprehend the differences, but to any rational person it's easy to understand.

That said, anyone who buys this junk is an idiot. I was in high school the first time I met the white van guys. Right away I felt like something wasn't quite adding up with the story they were giving me, but I had no knowledge of the 'white van scam' at that time. I actually didn't read about it until a few years later. I told them I wasn't interested, and they tried to sell even harder (which confirmed my suspicions).

The kind of people I know who have fallen for it, are always looking for the easy way to make money. They get blinded by dollar signs.

I personally don't really care for people like that. Most of them spend more time and effort trying to make 'easy' money and end up with less than people who do it the traditional way.

The people who fall for this scam, deserve to.
I've never fallen for this scam, I'd like to think that I know what I'm buying. Im trying to help Op understand why he made his buying decision and why he shouldn't exactly be mad.
If OP at the moment saw the value and benefit he was getting and was happy at the time of purchase, went home and used it instead and never googled them, would he still be mad?
Advertisement
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #52
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Its a psycological scam. Buyer thinks they are getting a killer deal on questionable items, however there is a reciept offered so they feel more at ease. Regardless of the story told on how the goods were obtained, as long as they are not stolen its legit. Yeah you got suckered into buying $50 speakers for $300 by a slick salesman and pitch. Too bad they have a no refund policy.

Props for admitting you fell for it amd warning others. Most "scams" go unreported and therefore the police dont look into it. Sorta like rape. The vixtims are too ashamed. Good on you man.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #53
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's a scam and it is illegal. You can't just go around town selling stuff out of your truck on a street corner with out the proper permits. The stuff they sell is also crap.
than i guess garage sales and people selling fresh pick fruits at street corners are illegal too? Its immoral but certainly legal, we live in a capitalistic society afterall.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #54
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Seems like no neighborhood is NOT affected by drug addicts looking for their next score.
This month has not been my month.

Car Window was smashed..lucky I didn't have valuables in it.
And I almost fell for an ADVANCE version of the TOWING SCAM.

Friday night and some regular looking 40 year old man knocks on my door. He claimed he was my neighbor and was short $9 for the tow man down the street.
Warning bells came up because who cant afford $9? You must be one poor mofo if you needed that much. And secondly I wouldn't know if he was really my neighbour. Im asian... we dont chat with our neighbours

But yea good thing I spotted it out quick and good thing he didn't pull a knife and stabbed me to death. If that were happen...Im thinking I woulda got stabbed 3-6 times before I manage to run to the kitchen and grab my own knife to defend myself.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #55
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
similar thing happened to me before outside canadian tire, 2 italian looking guy claiming they were here on a fashion show with left over items and cant bring it home due to tax limits. They were acting all nice and stuff saying they wana give it to me. took them 10 min to get straight to the topic and asked me for donation

They went as far as asking me the direction to the airport, I told them they can follow my car to the airport lmao

JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #56
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
than i guess garage sales and people selling fresh pick fruits at street corners are illegal too? Its immoral but certainly legal, we live in a capitalistic society afterall.
One of the company's that run this scam have been on the news and they have been in trouble with he police for selling without the right permits. You can't just open up shop in a parking lot and start selling stuff. The owners of the land would not be happy.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #57
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Did he get charge? and did the charges stick?

People met up to sell stuff at parking lots alot, technically it isn't all that difference than white van scammer except they are not scamming each other. White van scammer are also usually mobile anyways, flag down someone while in traffic and than go to the parking lot to complete the scam.

Ain't all the different than buying something off craigslist than meeting up at a parking lot to check out the item and complete the transaction.

Now you say they have a company than i can see where they might ran into legal issue as its not a private sale between individuals anymore. I was under the impression they usually work alone or in small group, not as a proper legal company that can be sued and tracked down.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #58

also, lol

White Van Speaker Scam

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #59
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Did he get charge? and did the charges stick?

People met up to sell stuff at parking lots alot, technically it isn't all that difference than white van scammer except they are not scamming each other. White van scammer are also usually mobile anyways, flag down someone while in traffic and than go to the parking lot to complete the scam.

Ain't all the different than buying something off craigslist than meeting up at a parking lot to check out the item and complete the transaction.

Now you say they have a company than i can see where they might ran into legal issue as its not a private sale between individuals anymore. I was under the impression they usually work alone or in small group, not as a proper legal company that can be sued and tracked down.
I believe the drivers have been fined by the police before but the companies have not because they claim the drivers are independent contractors and they have no control over the sales tactics they use.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #60
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
lol i remember this one time dude try to sell me a iphone off the street & it was funny cuz i told him i dun like iphones so the dude just said what about other phones

since i use to know a few ppl that steal things & sell them in high school i told him that i know a guy that might want it, long story short dude booked it after i point at some random buff guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #61
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Seems like no neighborhood is NOT affected by drug addicts looking for their next score.
This month has not been my month.

Car Window was smashed..lucky I didn't have valuables in it.
And I almost fell for an ADVANCE version of the TOWING SCAM.

Friday night and some regular looking 40 year old man knocks on my door. He claimed he was my neighbor and was short $9 for the tow man down the street.
Warning bells came up because who cant afford $9? You must be one poor mofo if you needed that much. And secondly I wouldn't know if he was really my neighbour. Im asian... we dont chat with our neighbours

But yea good thing I spotted it out quick and good thing he didn't pull a knife and stabbed me to death. If that were happen...Im thinking I woulda got stabbed 3-6 times before I manage to run to the kitchen and grab my own knife to defend myself.
I had that happen a good number of years ago at a corner store. Guy comes up to me and he's in a almost new jetta. He ran out of gas and doesn't have his wallet.

OK. Sucks.

Can you spare $5 so I can get some gas? I need to get to the airport to pick up my daughter.

Cool. We've set the stage for emotional connection and an issue of expediency. Nice.

I say I can help. I have a nice full tank that we can siphon from. Just need to get a hose.

"I can't...I need to use 91 octane..its a turbo."

And you lost me. And now I have decided to have some fun. I think you could handle a little pinging and driving gingerly to get out of being stranded.

"Oh...I have no idea what that means"

And he goes on to say he appreciates the offer, but just a few dollars will help.

"Ok, I'm here to help. I will follow you to the gas station 4 blocks away and we'll get you right topped up-my treat!"

"I don't want to risk running out on the way and being really stranded"

"Cool. Cool. I'll tell you what. I'm a generous guy. Leave your car and I will take you to the airport. Get your daughter and you can deal with the car later."

I was literally willing to take him to the airport, I wasn't bluffing. It wasn't a matter that I believed him, but if he truly wasn't a scammer then I was willing to go through with it. The amount of bullshit he came up with to spin out of offers to: fill his tank-for free!, drive his ass to Richmond from East Van-for free! and go and get his wallet-for free! was hilarious.

And he'd trade all of that for $5 in cash.

The owner of the store was just laughing at me the whole time.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #62
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
^ I think I've seen this "corner store" guy.
Asian, early 30's?

I stopped by 7-11 on knight and 33rd to pick up some snacks. Then this guy comes running over, says he's out of gas, needs some money to fill up. Says if I leave him my number, he'll call me to pay me back. He didn't look like he needed any money.. He was in a Hugo Boss track suit, new shoes, but I was still reluctant. I offer to let him use my cell phone. He says his buddies are out of town.. All of them. And he has no family here. I ask him where he lives, I can drive him home. He says he has somewhere important to be, so he needs to fill up his car. I offer to drive him. He declines. I tell him I can't help him then.

The shit people will make up for a few bucks..
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #63
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
I encountered one in Richmond, this time around the guy was in a blue van. When I saw the person trying to pitch me the product I was like
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #64
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
^ I think I've seen this "corner store" guy.
Asian, early 30's?

I stopped by 7-11 on knight and 33rd to pick up some snacks. Then this guy comes running over, says he's out of gas, needs some money to fill up. Says if I leave him my number, he'll call me to pay me back. He didn't look like he needed any money.. He was in a Hugo Boss track suit, new shoes, but I was still reluctant. I offer to let him use my cell phone. He says his buddies are out of town.. All of them. And he has no family here. I ask him where he lives, I can drive him home. He says he has somewhere important to be, so he needs to fill up his car. I offer to drive him. He declines. I tell him I can't help him then.

The shit people will make up for a few bucks..
Mine was a white guy.

I was just laughing the whole time. It was such a crock. Whatever bullshit you come up with, I have a solution, and whatever solution I have, breeds more bullshit.

I was just waiting for the guy to tap out.

"I'm sorry, I was trying to scam you. Can we call it a draw?"

Another guy happened on the scene too and he leaves me to try him. I made it quite clear that I had supplied numerous solutions and the guy kept walking.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #65
I bringith the lowerballerith

Man you guys have alot more patience than I ever will have with these scammers,I would have told them to fuck off within the first 15 seconds or just ignored them.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
I got buzzed one time at my intercom and it was around 1:30AM? This woman said she went out on a date with this guy while when he was driving her home kicked her out of his car. All of her belongings were in his car so now she's stranded and she needs to call home to check on her daughter to make sure she's ok.

I'm like, someone stole your belongings and assaulted you. Do you want me to call the cops? Then she just said no and ran off. hahaha
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
@The_AK, you're confusing what is legal vs what is ethical with what's a scam. As defined.. Scam: "a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation".

Stop being legalistic. It IS a scam. Props to the OP for bringing awareness even though he fell for it.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #68
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
im not gonna lie, amazed at how many fails op got. you guys say "oh this is so 2003" well fuck, realize not all of us are 30+ lol back in 03 i was 11 and never heard or seen any of these scam things until this thread came up. there should def be more thanks then fail, just my .02

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
im not gonna lie, amazed at how many fails op got. you guys say "oh this is so 2003" well fuck, realize not all of us are 30+ lol back in 03 i was 11 and never heard or seen any of these scam things until this thread came up. there should def be more thanks then fail, just my .02
I imagine this scam was a lot more successful back in the 80's since people weren't able to share info as much as we can today

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #70
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks OP for the post. Read this yesterday and today my dad calls me up asking if he should pick up this projector. I told him to punch that guy in the face right now. Saved my dad from being scammed. Thx
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #71
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ I love the fact that he called you. My dad will never consult with me about anything.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #72
RS controls my life!

^ My friend bought that projector shiiit, brought it to my house and asked if he can store it in my basement until he finds a buyer. Its been collecting dust for almost a year.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #73
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

my dad got scammed a while back (10 years ago or so?)
Same thing, 2 guys in some white van saying the same story, but they were selling "high-end" speakers instead. My dad bought them and I ended up using them. They're ok for blasting music across the room :S

Point is, these scams has happened for a loooong time.
yukikaze203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #74
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

yah i been approached by this guy who drives in the blue ford van too, the guy wears sunglasses too. He asked me if i wanted high end projectors. He roams around Oakridge Parking lot
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #75
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
Even when I was 11 I knew better than to buy merchandise out of a van in a parking lot..
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote