REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
For anyone who is approached by someone like this in the future. Fake interest, take a pic of their plate and forward it to the police.

For the OP, the best thing you can do is tell everyone so they don't fall for the same thing. As embarrassing as it is, the only way to battle fraud is to educate others.
And do what, charge them for being salesmen? Ethically, I have all kinds of red flags. Morally...sure. Legally? There is a sucker born every minute.

What time was the OP born?
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
And I'm going to add here, come on!

They told you it was a scam.

"Hi, I have this thing that is worth $7000. I'm willing to eat $6700 because you, some random dude I just met looks that worth it."

At least just tell people it retails for $1000. Make it something remotely plausible.

Makes me think I should turn to a life of crime when I read some of this shit.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Spoiler!
Ignorance is bliss, right?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Ignorance is bliss, right?
Look at Starbucks

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #30
I am grateful grapefruit

Like some people here, I don't really see it as a scam. There's no difference between what happened to the OP, and someone walking into a shady AV store and a salesman saying the same thing. Or a salesman selling you a $150 HDMI cable that you can buy online for $20. There's no difference.

Hell, someone buying a new car can easily be told OEM mudflaps will cost you another $600. Is that a scam or are you just being ripped off? These things are worth however much people are willing to pay. Retail price means nothing.

Bottom line is, do your research. I see stores advertise inflated retail prices all the time. Their sales price might be 50% off, but it could very well be more expensive than the regular price in another store.

OP: Just take this as a lesson and move on with your life.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Look at Starbucks
Hipsters don't appreciate that word around here.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub.g View Post
welcome to 2004

it varies, from 4 door cars like a chrysler 300 with 2 guys in a suit claiming they are selling 2 brand new armani suits because they dont have enough space in their luggage just before they are leaving for the airport
I ran across this scammer in Richmond outside Yohann. Weirdo trying to sell brand name Italian suites in a parking lot lol.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Killer deals on the streets? Care to share some stories?

I only encountered one of these once, where a guy was trying to sell me
designer jackets, giving me the story how he just came from a fashion show
and he had to get rid of these jackets cause he couldn't take them with him
on a plane. And he even used a lighter to burn the leather to prove it was
fireproof and top quality (although I'm not sure if all leather has some sort of resistance to fire).
Anyway, I declined, cause I was suspicious, I don't wear designer clothing, and he was selling each jacket for $900.
Smart move! I'd stay away from anything clothing related. I think clothes are too personal of a thing to risk buying from some random.

Lol hmm my personal best: 2 high end subs (in box) and an amp for 40 bucks. Another time I got a night vision wireless camera + Sansa mp3 for 80. I'm pretty good with electronics so I can tell right away if somethings not right.

My worst: I was walking around downtown looking at the pavement for stones to add my rare unique stone collection when a fella approached me and asked me if I needed any rock. I was ecstatic! You mean you actually sell some I asked? Sure, he replied. Then he pulls out these tiny ass yellowey-white pebbles and says 40 bucks. Are you fuckin shitting me? Talk about a rip off. How does that guy even make any money??!!!??
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #34
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Had some dude approach me trying to sell me this 47" TV out of his van. The whole "I was making delivieries and had an extra box" Scam written all over it but I don't know why he would even try to approach me, i have a 99 civic hatch :/
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #35
Meow

I wasn't looking for any sympathy, i already know i fucked up. I wasn't trying to make a profit off the projector, i always wanted one and it sounded like a deal, so my greediness got the best of me. I am honestly not too mad over it because I made a mistake and ill learn from it. Kinda sucks it costed me $300 but ill survive. Im going to test it out when im off work. Like 5 ads for the projector showed up on craigslist today trying to get over $500 for it. I just don't want other people to get ripped off like i did.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

lol this is the oldest trick in the book
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i'll buy it from you...i'll have to put gas on my blue ford explorer first...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
It's a scam and it is illegal. You can't just go around town selling stuff out of your truck on a street corner with out the proper permits. The stuff they sell is also crap.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
lol the stereo guys tried to sell me a stereo WHILE I WAS DRIVING lol, i finally stopped at a red light and the guy gives me the spiel about it, how he's got extra's etc.

i knew the scam, so i just asked how many Watts the stereo was

"Alot!" he replies lolol
Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

The only time I had this happen was a guy trying to sell me designer jeans...This was maybe 3 years back now and it was in Vegas

The guy was offered me any type of jeans i wanted (Rocks or Tru's i think he had on him at the time)....He wanted like $40/pair but only had size 38/40...I told him I was 28 and if he wanted to sell me a pair I would take one pant leg for $20....He gave me a wtf look and then tried to tell me to grow into this size....
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #41
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
of the 3 scams i mentioned earlier, the guys selling armani suits and guy asking for change is the ones i experienced

here is the thread from 2 years ago

http://www.revscene.net/forums/61898...aker-scam.html

this is what i posted from there

Quote:
iv encountered them since 2003.. different variations of scam

A guy had an engine failure and usually stands outside big grocery stores like london drugs or Shoppers asking people for $2 or so saying he needs to bus back home and claims lived in apartments behind Parker Place ( hahahaa total bs.. there is no apt in that area)... anyone encountered this guy? bald fat short dude with good dirty facial hair

2 "italian" guys in a suit tried to sell me some suits still wrapped up on their back seat, claiming they are just driving around killing time while their flight departs in YVR, they claim they overstuff their luggage and just want to get rid of it..
the guy that was asking for change, i ran into him at samurai sushi across oakridge, bald head middle eastern dude in his 40s, speaks perfect english, i got suckered into giving him $5, he asked for toonie said that his car broke down and needed to cab back to richmond, said he lived in an apartment behind parker place.. (wtf but whatever i ignored it) after giving him the change, he asked for an extra $3 and being the nice guy that i am, i gave him total of $5

apparently couple of ppl from RS ran into this dude from period of 2005 to 2008 from what i recall.. middle eastern/iranian bald guy about 5'5 in his 40s.. last he was spotted was London Drugs in richmond in no. 3 road
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #42
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
3 brown guys stopped me and my buddy at a gas station while we were filling up near the border, me and my bud went along with their lil sharade...

they showed us a shipping order showing that they had 5 surround sound systems to deliver yet they had 6 in their truck so they tried to sell us the 6th....my bud toook a look at the order, and threatend them that he was going to call the number on there and let their boss know what they were doing..they laughed it off and said their boss knew and said throw some money his way and it'll stay hush hush...so my bud then pulls out his wallet and flashes his badge to them, these guys started shitting bricks and all of a sudden started saying shit like "ah ya know, maybe we'll just return it to the company and let them deal with it" and they peaced out asap lol
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
Need my Daily Fix of RS

no smartphone to google the model # and info lol?
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #44
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Box stores pull this scam too

with Monster cables
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #45
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
thx for the heads up bro

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #46
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think the lesson here is learn how to scam the scammers. Otherwise don't buy crap from random people in vehicles.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #47
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Look at Starbucks
Based on your first post, it seems as though you have probably already been scammed by these guys and your failed efforts to console yourself have been unfulfilling thus far.

Starbucks is a luxury, no one goes there thinking there are getting the best value priced coffee on the planet. It's the same as when someone buys a Gucci murse, or Prada handbag. They know they are paying for the prestige, or perceived brand image, rather than getting a 'hot deal'. I am not surprised you can't comprehend the differences, but to any rational person it's easy to understand.

That said, anyone who buys this junk is an idiot. I was in high school the first time I met the white van guys. Right away I felt like something wasn't quite adding up with the story they were giving me, but I had no knowledge of the 'white van scam' at that time. I actually didn't read about it until a few years later. I told them I wasn't interested, and they tried to sell even harder (which confirmed my suspicions).

The kind of people I know who have fallen for it, are always looking for the easy way to make money. They get blinded by dollar signs.

I personally don't really care for people like that. Most of them spend more time and effort trying to make 'easy' money and end up with less than people who do it the traditional way.

The people who fall for this scam, deserve to.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #48
straight from the fields of squamton

I have always wanted to meet one of these scammers. I'd have fun with it.

at least I got to meet the philipino money collectors once. that was fun!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #49
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
I wasn't looking for any sympathy, i already know i fucked up. I wasn't trying to make a profit off the projector, i always wanted one and it sounded like a deal, so my greediness got the best of me. I am honestly not too mad over it because I made a mistake and ill learn from it. Kinda sucks it costed me $300 but ill survive. Im going to test it out when im off work. Like 5 ads for the projector showed up on craigslist today trying to get over $500 for it. I just don't want other people to get ripped off like i did.
I commend you for manning up in a public forum and admitting your mistake so others will not be scammed in the future.

Hope this projector will be useful to you until you get the model you really want.
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
I once saw the scammers selling the speakers and I told them I had to go to my bank and follow me. I ended up driving around the area and 15mins later they pulled beside me at I light and I laughed at them and I told them to find some other sucker. Fuck they were pissed off when I was laughing at them
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: