REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Meow

Warning: Scammer in a Blue Ford Explorer

Today on my way to the gym, two random guys in a light blue ford explorer asked me if i wanted a cheap projector. Me being stupid decided to take a look and they said its a $7g projector and they had a screen and brackets and everything. They had a bill of lading showing they got 6 but the shipper accidentally gave them 9 so they were trying to sell it cheap. Me being stupid gave him $300 for it. I went straight to my bros work to try it out and it seemed to be working. So i decided to google it (probs first thing I should of done) to find that it was a big scam with the same
story. Seems like hes been all across Canada. I know I'm retarded for falling for it. Just hoping I can stop someone else from making the same dumb mistake.
Advertisement
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
It's called the white van scam. People have been doing it forever.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
What model is it? Is it worth $300?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
there's been a few threads on it in RS
if anything on the side is too good to be true..it probably is stolen/fake/scam
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Meow

alumen a700. Probs worth $50 tops. Had no time to really test it.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Tempted to thank you for sharing, but everyone should know this scam already

Even if you haven't heard of it, how obvious is it?

Greed makes fools of people i guess
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
So does it work?

About a month ago in Richmond, a guy in a black SUV in the other lane told me to lower my window and offered to sell me a surround sound system for cheap. I ignored him and he followed me for 2 blocks asking me lol Not sure if it was a scam or just stolen stuff. Would've notified the police but turned
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
You can resell it for $6000. LoL

A700 Alumen Projector & Alumen Projection Screen New In Box

Fraud and Scam Sightings & Locations - Canada - SCAM SHIELD - An organization protecting citizens against scams and fraud schemes through advocacy and information
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
welcome to 2004

it varies, from 4 door cars like a chrysler 300 with 2 guys in a suit claiming they are selling 2 brand new armani suits because they dont have enough space in their luggage just before they are leaving for the airport

white van scam, varies from electronics, to car parts, usually found in parking lots and red light intersections..

and

a guy asking for couple of change so he can call a cab, use a pay phone and claims live in an "apartment" behind a mall that doesnt exist, sometimes, he has a bill and ask u for change, the bill is fake.. usually can be found outside convenience stores or small asian restaurants
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
There is also a red Ford Windstar rolling around Surrey. He asked me at the TD in Newton if I wanted to buy a projector.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I really have no idea what would compel someone to buy anything from a random stranger driving around soliciting goods for cheap
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I remember being offered speakers from a white van in a parking lot at BCIT. They were shady as f***. If you fall for this scam you deserve it LOL.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I really have no idea what would compel someone to buy anything from a random stranger driving around soliciting goods for cheap
There is a old saying that still holds true today.....there is a sucker born every minute.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Calling yourself retarded is irrational, technically nothing they did was a scam. They claimed it retails for much more (if the item was actually sold in stores that is) and gave you a promising sales speech. I don't see what you should be so mad about right now. You shouldn't Feel scammed. The only reason you feel scammed is because of the information you learned after the fact. Take that info out. What if the projector is working fine? Would you still feel scammed if you set it up in your home and you were pleased with the result? Or does it need to be sold in a best buy? I think the only lying they did is say that it IS sold in stores, I bet nobody carries it.

Not saying I work for these people but you need to consider the other side of the situation.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Calling yourself retarded is irrational.
Buying something on the road from solicitors just because they claim its on sale, and then trying to find a use for it seems pretty irrational to me
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Calling yourself retarded is irrational, technically nothing they did was a scam. They claimed it retails for much more (if the item was actually sold in stores that is) and gave you a promising sales speech. I don't see what you should be so mad about right now. You shouldn't Feel scammed. The only reason you feel scammed is because of the information you learned after the fact. Take that info out. What if the projector is working fine? Would you still feel scammed if you set it up in your home and you were pleased with the result? Or does it need to be sold in a best buy? I think the only lying they did is say that it IS sold in stores, I bet nobody carries it.

Not saying I work for these people but you need to consider the other side of the situation.
How does this make sense? They claimed that the projector is worth a couple grand. Things are worth x$ in retail stores usually because they are higher quality or have brand, or at least is backed up with warranty. Are you saying a 720p TV is the same as 1080p TV? So OP shouldn't be mad as long as it "works"? No, OP is mad because the people LIED and were SCAMMERS. They told him that the retail value is worth a couple g's and then sold it to him for 300 but in fact the projector is worth less then 50 bucks.

OP- Don't feel too bad. I have had friends that was also scammed into buying speakers from white van people. These are professional scammers, and GREAT salesmen. They could be using their sales skills to do something productive, but would rather do shady ass shit instead. I called one out at Parker Place and told him to go fuck himself.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Buying something on the road from solicitors just because they claim its on sale, and then trying to find a use for it seems pretty irrational to me
Good point,

op are you in the market for a projector or did you think you were going to be all and resell it later?

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
Fanboy

For anyone who is approached by someone like this in the future. Fake interest, take a pic of their plate and forward it to the police.

For the OP, the best thing you can do is tell everyone so they don't fall for the same thing. As embarrassing as it is, the only way to battle fraud is to educate others.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

WOW i never even heard about this scam... but about a month ago after walking out of canadian tire on kingsway some guy pulled up in a blue dodge van and asked me if i wanted to buy a projector.... i said no sorry... i assumed he was a junky right after he asked me but when i looked at him he looked like a perfectly normal person...
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub.g View Post
welcome to 2004

a guy asking for couple of change so he can call a cab, use a pay phone and claims live in an "apartment" behind a mall that doesnt exist, sometimes, he has a bill and ask u for change, the bill is fake.. usually can be found outside convenience stores or small asian restaurants
this happened to my buddy a few years back..
was with him when it happened.. HAHA
i told him not to do it but he "felt bad"

his story was he needed a cab, someone stole his car, he lived up the street
he gave him a business card, but he had no other information said hed give it back to him the next day as he works next door he was also afraid that "the people who stole his car have all his information and the keys to his house"
so he needed to get back asap, he offered to call him a cab. but the guy said he called one and its on his way haha.

first asked for $5, than he said do u have a 10 instead? he gave the 10 but the guy kept the 15$ lol!
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've heard about the white van scam before but thanks for the reminder.

Honestly I've been ripped off before, but also got some really killer deals on the streets. It happens... it's just an expensive lesson to learn: do your research and ask lots of questions.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
How does this make sense? They claimed that the projector is worth a couple grand. Things are worth x$ in retail stores usually because they are higher quality or have brand, or at least is backed up with warranty. Are you saying a 720p TV is the same as 1080p TV? So OP shouldn't be mad as long as it "works"? No, OP is mad because the people LIED and were SCAMMERS. They told him that the retail value is worth a couple g's and then sold it to him for 300 but in fact the projector is worth less then 50 bucks.

OP- Don't feel too bad. I have had friends that was also scammed into buying speakers from white van people. These are professional scammers, and GREAT salesmen. They could be using their sales skills to do something productive, but would rather do shady ass shit instead. I called one out at Parker Place and told him to go fuck himself.

Given the information OP was given and satisfaction he could have received he shouldn't be mad. Only after once he looked further into it he should be mad.

They claimed the projector would sell in retail stores for $7000. They're not saying ANYTHING about the quality of the projector or if it DOES sell at that price or even if its WORTH $7000 (unless they did specify "This projector is worth $7000"). Another question to op, did they specify anything about the quality of the speakers or did you just assume "well if they say it would sell for $7000 then it MUST be of high quality!"?

If I go to Future Shop and tell them I want to sell my computer for $100,000 I'm not saying its quality is worth $100,000 or the brand is worth $100,000, its simply stating a price at which I would like to sell it at. They did the same here.

Actual worth and asking price are two different things. In addition, the thing that makes this legal is the lack of information they gave to OP.

Now if a guy approaches me on the street, pitches me something that looks like a leather jacket, I think to myself "well this looks like a nice jacket, it fits and I look good in it", and buy it, I should be happy with it at that point if I base my purchase on the benefits I perceived at that point.

The reason OP is mad is because he researched it further and learned that what he went through is equivalent to a series of other similar events.

Now take out the research, say OP DIDNT google this. Went home, installed the projector, and it did exactly as he expected it to do (Fucking projector shit bullshit onto a wall because its a projector). Would he still be mad? Should he be mad?

Only once they start making false product claims this becomes a scam and is illegal. Op used brbimagination to create benefits for himself at the time of purchase.

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 View Post
I've heard about the white van scam before but thanks for the reminder.

Honestly I've been ripped off before, but also got some really killer deals on the streets. It happens... it's just an expensive lesson to learn: do your research and ask lots of questions.
Killer deals on the streets? Care to share some stories?

I only encountered one of these once, where a guy was trying to sell me
designer jackets, giving me the story how he just came from a fashion show
and he had to get rid of these jackets cause he couldn't take them with him
on a plane. And he even used a lighter to burn the leather to prove it was
fireproof and top quality (although I'm not sure if all leather has some sort of resistance to fire).
Anyway, I declined, cause I was suspicious, I don't wear designer clothing, and he was selling each jacket for $900.

Next time, if I ever encounter one again. I'll play along, and ask for his ID.
Saying I need to have some reinsurance of knowing who he is before I can buy his items.
Then take some pictures of his car plates and then walk off after.
See where that goes.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
10psi aint enough...

Sorry you got cheated into that scam op...

Back in 2001-2, 2guys in a white minivan pulled up on east 12th/clark and asked me if I needed high quality car electronics for my car, I asked how much? $300 for the best alpine amps subs etc...and needed to give them $100 so they could run to the back of this building to grab and pay remaining when return. I said ok, where? He said up clark st and turn left, I said ok I follow your car, they turned left, and I turned right and drove away...
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: