REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #51
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Wow @ all the dilapidated structures, amazing what a shitty economy can do to a once vibrant place. Anyone have pictures for comparison sake of what the city looked like during its peak?
Advertisement

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #52
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 20,480 Times in 6,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Wow @ all the dilapidated structures, amazing what a shitty economy can do to a once vibrant place. Anyone have pictures for comparison sake of what the city looked like during its peak?
Detroit hasn't seen its peak since probably the 70's or 60's
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #53
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^yup, the style of the majority of houses built gives you a clue.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #54
Banned By Establishment

When the whites left metro Detroit in the 60s, that is when the city started to go downhill.

Interesting video:

Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #55
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

From what I've seen from this thread and how it Detroit seems like a ghost town. How do they still manage to have 4 pro sports teams?

I understand the Red Wings have a big fan base from all over. But like one member said, the Pistons don't have much fans attending.

Anybody know about the other 2 teams in Detroit?
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #56
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Detroit proper itself is pretty run down and depressing , however Detroit is surrounding by some pretty affluent areas such as Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe, Bloomfield Hills, Beverly Hills, pretty much the Oakland County area of Michigan, not surprisingly these areas are predominantly white.

Red Wings, Lions, Tigers and Pistons draw most of whats left of their season ticket base from these areas. I recall hearing Detroit's population has dropped 25% over the last 10 years, so attendance issues are starting to become a problem. The Lions have started to rebuild and have a young exciting team with guys like Megatron, Stafford, Suh, Best and Fairley with a new stadium, so hope is there. The Red Wings are still a pretty decent draw, with their success of 20 years straight in the playoffs and do draw a large fan base from southern Ontario. Tigers and Piston however are in trouble.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #57
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,430 Times in 1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post

Anybody know about the other 2 teams in Detroit?

I don't know much about the Tigers but the Lions are one of the more popular teams in the mid-west. Its not just Detroit cheering for them, but people all over. They're also a staple of Thanksgiving football and despite the fact that they suck, they're pretty well liked.

The only thing I know about the Tigers is that Magnum P.I. wore a Tiger's hat on the show, so I guess that'd make him a fan.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #58
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Detroit hasn't seen its peak since probably the 70's or 60's
Race Riots in '67.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #59
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Detroit is a shit hole, but how about Michigan?
I've travelled to a fair bit of Michigan for work. Grand Rapids is a decent city, quaint. Places by water are pretty nice, etc. Grand Haven comes to mind.

Never had a chance to go to Detroit though. I find these ghost neighbourhoods absolutely fascinating.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #60
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Greenwich, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine etc. Pretty much the whole North Eastern part of the US surpass their Canadian counterparts in terms of wealth. Remember what hurt US was the manufacturing jobs, it is the mid west (Penn, Ill, Mich) that took the biggest hit There are still plenty of old money around. Heck I would say Chicago is a lot more progressive and advanced right now than our lake front city, TO... Emmanuel vs Ford.

Your statement is just akin to because NWT is full of snow and ice, everywhere else in Canada people must be living in igloos. or new Chinese immigrant, "Just because Richmond is like this, the rest of Canada must be exactly like Richmond).

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or you really have such myopic view of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Please do. Because you took the statement literally, it would be fun to see you list off a bunch of American cities that don't suck.. let's see how far you can go

Last edited by godwin; 04-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #61
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 20,480 Times in 6,503 Posts
people still taking the statement literally, even after I trolled the fuck out of it???

And then you take the troll response literally???
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: