REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
What, how is this worthy of news?

The practice of agreeing to offer hours above 40 per week with the understanding of no OT pay isn't even unusual..
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
That boss is bossy cuh.
I'd do the samething, that's awesome.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
^^ shitty

when i count tills sometimes its down like 20$ and luckily the restaurant eats it and not me

Which subway is this may i ask?
Mine was marine and cambie pretty close to the old A+B Sound, then I moved to the Cloverdale store.

The people I worked for owned like 12 of them around Van at that time. Not sure how many now.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Actually, he's quite the asshole.
But dicks fuck assholes
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #30
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpadupa View Post
have u guys read that? i dont really see a problem because that something u sign when YOU request over time. NOT if the boss asks you to work it.

Doesnt make sense from the owners P.O.V to pay me 8hrs + 4hrs over time. when he can just hire some one part-time for the over time?

Thats like me asking my Boss, "Hey im done my 8hrs, im gonna stick around and work another 4 so u have to pay me 1.5xhrs ok?"
I hear what you are saying, but this kind of attitude will make us become more like 3rd world countries. This owner is knowingly breaking labour laws so he doesn't have to pay higher wages. Plus the owner is doing something illegal to create a competitive advantage over his competitors (well except for Chinese and asian places). These laws take decades to form to protect workers rights and actions like these are undermining these laws.

I for one don't want us to be like other countries where we work 12 hours a day, have little workers rights or have the mentality where I have to arrive before my boss and leave after my boss. However I know there are many on this forum that are from a culture where this is prominent.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #31
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
I see both sides of this argument, I just think it's a little too easy for the managers/owners to exploit the employees with this sort of thing.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBoostin View Post
Employees sign the form in fear of getting fired. Standing up to your boss in this situation is intimidating, if you do, you will probably get fired. A less fortunate person may really need the job and isn't willing to sacrifice it. It's also plain and simply illegal as stated in the Canada Labour Standards Hours of Work and Overtime Pay
If u read ur own link,

Modified Work Schedules

The term "modified work schedules" includes compressed work weeks and flexible hours of work. For example, workers scheduled to work 10 hours per day, 4 days a week are said to be on a modified work schedule.An employer may establish a modified work schedule or modify an existing schedule under which the hours of work may exceed the standard hours if workers agree and certain conditions are met. Where there is a trade union involved, there must be written agreement between the employer and the union to adopt a new work schedule or to cancel or modify an existing one.

That's what the form is for. You as the employee has every right to say NO i don't accept your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
I hear what you are saying, but this kind of attitude will make us become more like 3rd world countries. This owner is knowingly breaking labour laws so he doesn't have to pay higher wages. Plus the owner is doing something illegal to create a competitive advantage over his competitors (well except for Chinese and asian places). These laws take decades to form to protect workers rights and actions like these are undermining these laws.

I for one don't want us to be like other countries where we work 12 hours a day, have little workers rights or have the mentality where I have to arrive before my boss and leave after my boss. However I know there are many on this forum that are from a culture where this is prominent.
I hear ya but in your example, people are FORCED to work the 12hrs without OT pay. You have a choice here in Canada, that's the difference. And ya the boss may not be there ALL the time, but he takes the stress and whats what hes paid for. If ur company gets sued, guess whos sweating bullets.

I've tried to work more hours at my own work, however im declined due to the fact that IM asking for it. I would honesty rather work an extra 4hrs with same wage, i don't have to waste time getting into my car and driving out to my second job. ( maybe its cuz im a workaholic sry )
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #33
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I was a manager for Subway for a couple of years before I went to school.

Um. Let's see.

As a manager I was expected to make sure the till was even with sales. So if one of my employees lost $10..I had to pay it.

As an employee, if you lost $10, you were supposed to pay it(so I didn't have to)

Sometimes there would be an overage in the till. That became the "rainy day fund" for when the till was short. Sometimes we had to make it rain because I was sick of topping it up. Guess how one would make it rain.

If someone dropped a fake bill in the store, it was "suggested" that I go and bomb another place with it so that I didn't have to pay it myself.

Oh. Food cost was everything. So we didn't throw stuff out. Tuna not a big seller? That's ok. There are more people tomorrow.

Cheat the meat. Enough said.

Yeah, I don't feel so bad for a guy that wants to help you out with more hours, but can't do it without paying you overtime. If you want overtime, I'll just hire another kid at straight pay. Your choice.
I've never really worked in a retail/fast food job, so I could be wrong here, BUT... I thought employers aren't allowed to charge employees for things like that? It's like a restaurant manager forcing you to pay for someone's meal if they do a dine and dash. It's not your fault, so why the hell would they make you pay for it?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
West Can Auto Parts doesn`t Pay overtime either and I was forced to work six day weeks.
tegra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
West Can Auto Parts doesn`t Pay overtime either and I was forced to work six day weeks.
As a PT or FT employee though?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I was a manager for Subway for a couple of years before I went to school.

Um. Let's see.

As a manager I was expected to make sure the till was even with sales. So if one of my employees lost $10..I had to pay it.

As an employee, if you lost $10, you were supposed to pay it(so I didn't have to)

Sometimes there would be an overage in the till. That became the "rainy day fund" for when the till was short. Sometimes we had to make it rain because I was sick of topping it up. Guess how one would make it rain.

If someone dropped a fake bill in the store, it was "suggested" that I go and bomb another place with it so that I didn't have to pay it myself.

Oh. Food cost was everything. So we didn't throw stuff out. Tuna not a big seller? That's ok. There are more people tomorrow.

Cheat the meat. Enough said.
wow i'm pretty speechless at the counterfeit bill part from upper mgmt...it's like stepping on dog shit then wiping it off on someone's carpet hoping they didn't see it.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #37

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Brown.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #38
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacePace View Post
But dicks fuck assholes
regardless, thats a shitty deal coming from anil
Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

lawlz S. Asian Owners
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've never really worked in a retail/fast food job, so I could be wrong here, BUT... I thought employers aren't allowed to charge employees for things like that? It's like a restaurant manager forcing you to pay for someone's meal if they do a dine and dash. It's not your fault, so why the hell would they make you pay for it?
LOL...no offense, but isn't that the point of my story?

The beautiful part is there wasn't forms for most of it like in this story. There was one that people were supposed to sign basically taking responsibility for the till with the term of "I understand that under normal operations there should be no shortages...therefore blah blah blah"

It literally was one of the dumbest places to work, but i got paid fairly well for what I did.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #41
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

The axe swings both ways. I spent a lot of my younger years in entry level crap jobs like this; both at the bottom and at the top. For every competent worker, you get TEN useless piles of crap. Worker rights are great, but the way we have it, it sets it up to foster useless employees. From personal experience, most over-time at these big box food joints accumulates not because the store is unexpectedly busy, but because your employees can't finish the tasks such as closing duties. And if you've worked at places like McDicks/Subway/Starbucks, you know it's something ONE person can do half-assed in half the time corporate expects you to; while serving customers. So you can imagine how little someone has to work if they can't do it in the time corporate allots.

Maybe you should actually visit these 3rd world countries, and compare their work efficiency to ours. Their top notch work isn't from being exploited, it's from honoring and taking pride in what they do. (not that I approve of how they're treated nonetheless)
They respect and appreciate every cent they make (and deserve to make more), while we bitch about every cent we don't make (and we sure as hell don't deserve more).

While everyone bitches about horrible 1st world employers are, no one stops to realize that the employees are just as bad if not worse.
The axe swings both ways:

Would you pay someone to wash your car if all they did is take a barb-wire mitt all over it?
Would you pay someone to clean your house if all they did is take a shit in all your rooms?

And on the flip side,
you wouldn't wash someone's car if they took a piss on you while you did it.
and you wouldn't clean someone's house if they spat on you while you did it.

Yet people can bitch all day long about how employers need to pay employees more, and we need to protect employee rights. But employers can't bitch that their shit employees don't even deserve a fraction of the minimum wage, and no one's compensating them for the shit work ethic of their employees.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #42
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpadupa View Post
If u read ur own link,

Modified Work Schedules

The term "modified work schedules" includes compressed work weeks and flexible hours of work. For example, workers scheduled to work 10 hours per day, 4 days a week are said to be on a modified work schedule.An employer may establish a modified work schedule or modify an existing schedule under which the hours of work may exceed the standard hours if workers agree and certain conditions are met. Where there is a trade union involved, there must be written agreement between the employer and the union to adopt a new work schedule or to cancel or modify an existing one.

That's what the form is for. You as the employee has every right to say NO i don't accept your offer.

I don't know if many of you know. But that right there is basically the averaging agreement. Basically, the employer can have you work up to 12 hours a day on regular pay, and up to 40 hours a week. Anything after that, will be overtime. Of course, from what I gather from what i've read, the guy is avoiding overtime pay all together... so... i don't know. Just thought i'd share that little bit of info.

Also, for the dine and dash comment... if that ever happens, it comes out of the server's tips from my understanding
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #43
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I don't see anything wrong with the agreement.

Then again, I work salary and don't get paid for extra hours at all...
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #44
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:

I find this situation closely resembling big corporations that rely on part-time workers so they don't have to pay any benefits. They might not make you sign a form such as this, but they just won't schedule you any hours over and above.

Solution: owner should have just hired his employees all as part-timers or cap the full-time hours at 40 no exceptions.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #45
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Is this really that different from any other fast food place?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #46
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
wow, not even lordco is that cold lol.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #47
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
heads up for those who live in my hood in east vancouver, grandview hwy / renfrew and the new broadway and nainimo is SHIT!

They are so cheap on toppings and cut so thinly
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ LOL go 2 byrne road/ market crossing subway, they give u sooooo much meat
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #49

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Not here to debate whether or not this is right or wrong, but I will say this.

As a "sandwich artist", you aren't exactly in high demand, as such you likely have little to no negotiating power with your current employer. So if you don't like your employer pushing you into a grey area of the labor laws (Though this is actually legal and common practice with many employers), get some training or education and get a "career"... not a "job".

Otherwise, shut your face and don't skimp on the tomatos.

jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
I bringith the lowerballerith

Fuck Subway!!!

Quiznos and Mr.Sub is 10 times better.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote