REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #8576
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Officer Gizz has a nice ring to it
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #8577
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Yeah that's why I ordered a license plate light, once that arrives I'll make up a bracket to bolt it all onto the spare and plug it into the trailer lighting. There's a big plastic center cap on the spare so I'll just bolt it straight through that. I don't drive it much so for now I'll just risk it, my coworker has had a huge bike rack on the back of his 4Runner for the past 5 years and never had an issue so hopefully I'll be okay.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:11 AM   #8578
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
As some of you know, I picked up a ‘10 STi to be the new daily. High km’s but she is worth saving. I’ve been busy prepping the RS for the track days so the STi has just been sitting in the driveway. Finally had time to wash it.

The paint is absolutely hilarious. Every panel has scratches or dents, the hood/roof has Celtic levels of freckles, the bumper has been sand-blasted so heavily that I’m not even sure how much paint is even left... after washing the exterior it still feels like sand paper. Needs a clay bar, aggressive cut polish and some sort of sealer to even begin to assess the damage. It’s too hot to do that anyways so I started on the inside. Got the trunk done but the seats will need a deeeep soak and steam clean

This is suppose to be a daily driver, but I feel I need to do this car right and save it if I can. There’s no way I could ever afford to own another STi so I should probably try and do right by this car

Old 07-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #8579
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
What do you use to treat the headlights?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #8580

Story time. A while back, I went to put my kids car seat into my Grand Cherokee and realized there's no rear anchor points for them. A bunch of digging and I found a TSB that says Chrysler should install them for free into any Jeep (and a bunch of other Chrysler vehicles) that don't have them. Cool. I call the dealer, and the kit for mine is discontinued. I call another dealer, same thing.

I do more digging and find a copy of the TSB with the actual part numbers for all the kits. There's 1 for each interior colour, duplicated with unique part numbers for the US and Canada, so 4 total. It seems odd, but I figure maybe the Canadian ones have French on them too or something. I send those to my buddy who works at a Chrysler dealer and tell him idgaf what colour they are, I just want any of those kits. He says no dice, all parts NLA.

Yet more digging, I'm firing part numbers into everywhere I can find and expanding my search to add any part numbers that supercede the ones from the TSB. Barely paying attention I search for a "new" part number which is actually the same as one of the other ones, but without the leading 0 that Chrysler uses. I find someone on eBay selling NOS parts that lists the part numbers without the leading 0, which is why I didn't find it before. They happen to even have the correct kit for mine, Canadian spec in taupe, with a generic picture of some car parts.

At this point I don't even know if this is legit or not but I say screw it and order it. I figure worst case I can report it and get my money back. It ships without being cancelled, and I get excited. It bounces through the stupid eBay shipping depot in Kentucky. Today it arrives. I'm cautiously optimistic that I actually got what I need. I pick up the box, and it's suspiciously light for something that should have metal brackets in it. I rip it open, and see this.

Just the trim covers, and instructions, no brackets. At first I thought maybe I accidentally ordered just the covers, but the instructions say "child seat tether anchor kit". Okay so maybe the kit was missing the brackets and that's why it was NOS? I can probably get my money back if that's the case. I decide to read the instructions and see this part:

The brackets and bolts are only included in US packages. The fuck. If I need to order the brackets separately for the Canadian kit, why was the part number not listed with the TSB? I figure I'll see if the instructions list it somewhere. I'm going along when I see this note:

At this point I'm lost for words. I don't really believe this can be real so I cut out one of the templates, grab tape, a box cutter and a sharpie and head outside. After some cutting, the moment of truth.

You've got to be kidding me. I did both sides and popped the covers on and it looks like it should've if Chrysler didn't neglect to install them for some bizarre reason. I would've been fine without the covers, so really I just wasted weeks to get a template on where to cut a hole, which really should be available for the dealers to just give me now that the kit is NLA.

Whatever, it's done now. I'll be scanning a copy of the template so if some other poor SOB stumbles across this they can just print it and go.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 07-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #8581

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
^ lmao great car-guy story. thanks for sharing.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #8582

Thanked 2,069 Times in 557 Posts
So my secondary butterfly valve for my air intake on my GSXR is throwing a fault code 5% of the time, dailying everyday and the error code pops up maybe once a week.

C28 - for 2005 GSXR600

A quick google search reveals that it is a common problem for my generation as the stepper motor for controling the valve is directly mounted to the motor and the solder points to the pins like to shake it self apart.

2 youtube videos later (seems easy enough... like literally 6 screws) re-solder and voila...

F***ing it's always the last stupid screw that gets rounded.... thankfully there is enough meat on the screw head that I managed to file it into a flathead.... (couldnt imagine what I will do if it was beyond saving.... the part is between the gas tank/air box, valve cover annnd the main structural frame... (probably would have needed to hoist the engine out loool?)

almost 2 hours later... (which was suppose to be a <5min job), the part is out... in my hand....

Thankfully just as the youtube vids described, the pins are loose whore like to the circuit board.. so it is defn a faulty connection....

the "easy" fix would be just to clean up the points and re-solder the PINs to the board...

but further research suggests that the best way to "perma-fix" is to directly connect the motor joints to the PINS via wires, this way it is no longer a solid direct connection and the "soft wires" should act as a buffer/dampner between the PINS and the motor...

Should look something like this (youtube screen shot)

Had no supplies on hand, so hopefully I can do the perma-fix tomorrow and be riding again on Thursday/Friday LOOOL, also need to find a new screw...

hahaha... yea....sigh.. so much for the
- 5 min removal
- 10 min solder
- 5 min assemble
< 30min all in fix....

fudge

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #8583
Performance Moderator

I don't think I've ever completed a vehicle repair from a YouTube video tutorial in the same time the tutorial said it could be completed in.

Or anywhere as easily as they make it appear for that matter.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #8584

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I don't think I've ever completed a vehicle repair from a YouTube video tutorial in the same time the tutorial said it could be completed in.

Or anywhere as easily as they make it appear for that matter.
I spent 2 days degreeing my cam last week, as I lost a valve spring restainer lock down the timing chain hole. It fell into the timing chain which took a while to find. Finally found it and dropped into oil pan. Then pull the oil pan in the car. Not fun for a 1 degree cam change. Hahaha.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #8585

Thanked 2,069 Times in 557 Posts
all done and good to go...

Before

during...

Fixed...

defn wont de-solder again...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #8586
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Installed NRG Quick Release. Gross NRG, but I needed a spacer because the hub adapter was too short LOL. Been driving around the last few months with just the bottom of the wheel and not being able to make turns without hitting signal or wipers.

Can't mount horn now tho, seems like a common issue with the MOMO Monte Carlo and the NRG QR.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2021, 11:14 PM   #8587
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
^^ irrrreeeegalllll steering wheel, bad boi
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #8588
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
IF BIC_BAWS doesn't post for a while, we'll know he's in jail with the VPD.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #8589

The strap style mount that I bought for the extinguisher was too small, so I hacked it to bits and chopped up some other spare brackets I have kicking around and made this.

And installed

I had to push it further back from the mount than I was expecting, because of how low the seats are. I wanted the passenger seat to still be able to go as far back as possible, as my codriver is taller than I am.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #8590

Took the RS out for some autocross at mission kart track, was a lot of fun and I enjoyed that style layout more than just the big skidpad with cones. I’m not an avid autox guy so I’m not very good. Here’s a shit dashcam vid of my fastest run of the day (but not the smoothest, it was pretty sloppy). 42.4xx seconds, which just got my goal for the day of under 42.5.

Took 68style out for a rip as well, he seemed to quite enjoy the RS

As far as the project STi is concerned I’ve just been slowly removing parts/panels and putting on POR15 over any surface rust I find.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #8591
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Do you have to sand down the rust? Or do you just slap it on?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #8592

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Do you have to sand down the rust? Or do you just slap it on?
Yeah it’s pretty amazing stuff. Just a brush to knock any loose stuff off and brush it on. They sell a “prep kit” but it’s pretty much just degreaser, only necessary if you were doing subframes or rear diffs that might be oily.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #8593

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
That course looks like fun. I hope I can make one this year finally.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #8594
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Took the RS out for some autocross at mission kart track, was a lot of fun and I enjoyed that style layout more than just the big skidpad with cones. I’m not an avid autox guy so I’m not very good. Here’s a shit dashcam vid of my fastest run of the day (but not the smoothest, it was pretty sloppy). 42.4xx seconds, which just got my goal for the day of under 42.5.

Took 68style out for a rip as well, he seemed to quite enjoy the RS
Thing rips! And the brakes too, pulls your eyes out of their sockets stopping.

Hard to say which one is more sexy, the car or the driver thanks for the ride and awesome to finally meet you!

Too bad my Civic broke!!! Hopefully I can get it fixed up before August 12th.

There’s some pictures on VCMC of our heat from a photographer you could check out I saw some of your car, let me see if I can grab the link here: https://ibb.co/album/4RyXrh?sort=nam...umid%5D=4RyXrh
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #8595
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
What a day. Car started running funny on my way into Coquitlam. It started driving like I was lugging every gear, but I wasn't. No power between 1.5K - 3.5k rpm, felt like it was hesitating / chugging. Above 3.5K car sounded fine, but still low on power - doesn't pull like it should. It felt like putting 87 in a car that takes 91 or driving a BRZ uphill in 2nd LOL.

Car sounded like it was knocking.

Drove to Canadian Tire and sent a friend in to buy oil to top up 500ml. Meanwhile, I started checking the spark plugs on the back two cylinders where I heard the noise coming from. They were fucked. Covered in oil and burnt. Sent another friend in to buy spark plugs. Ended up doing all my sparkplugs in the parking lot of Canadian Tire. I really appreciated the fact that I bring my 3/8 stubby everywhere. It made my life a lot easier.

I thought it fixed the problem, but once the car was at operating temp again, problem came back. I took it to a friend who knows S52s, and it turns out it's a HUGE vaccum leak. We took off the oil cap and it did absolutely nothing in terms of running rough. We checked every coil pack. #2 doesn't seem to work and #6 it starts smoking. We're suspecting a huge valve cover gasket leak that drips on to the exhaust manifold, which also has a leak.

I guess I'm now committed to working on this car.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 PM   #8596
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
IF BIC_BAWS doesn't post for a while, we'll know he's in jail with the VPD.
At least you're not in jail.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2021, 03:36 AM   #8597
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
sound deadening a Tesla

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:23 PM   #8598

Finally an overcast day meant I could start some paint correction on the project STi. To get things straight; the paint is beyond repair. But the goal is to take it from a 50’ car down to a 20’ car. It’s a good start so far

Old 08-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #8599
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Wow that thing was rough. Good job.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #8600

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
The STi looks familiar, used to see it on Craigslist all the time. If I remember correctly, it was trying to be priced similar to cleaner hatchbacks. And it was on Craigslist for a LONG time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote