REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-12-2024, 02:05 PM   #9576
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
Took apart the entire dash and console to investigate the completely shot shifter bushings and radio. Discovered the original shifter bushings were worn to shit and upgraded it to the Z1 short-shifter and bushings, and upgraded the old radio to a modern doubleDIN with wireless Carplay etc. While I was there decided to replace worn original shifter boot and e-brake boot

Confirmed bushings were worn and broken. Old shifter would move around like it was in neutral in all gears, not ideal

Z1 short shifter installed, much cleaner notchier feel and amazing quality.

Fully installed, super clean and the ATOTO S6 is awesome so far, wireless carplay works flawlessly and overall very satisfied so far.
Advertisement
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #9577
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts

New suspension! Custom valved Redshift Competition coils (based on BC Racing BR coils) and offset front UCA balljoints for more camber.

Old ones were goners.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2024, 03:35 PM   #9578
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,720 Times in 3,139 Posts
I’m surprised you didn’t break any of that brittle 90s plastics on the 300zx. That shit would have made me paranoid as fuck when taking it apart
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2024, 08:24 PM   #9579
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
I stole this from the Winter Tire thread.

Switched out from the winters to all seasons. Nothing exciting. Looked exactly like this but in reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Winter is coming.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2024, 08:36 PM   #9580
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,011 Times in 1,891 Posts
Isn't it still snowing in Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2024, 08:52 PM   #9581
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Vancouver - 1
Rest of Canada - 0

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2024, 07:34 AM   #9582
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Man that day without snow only costs 2.3 million dollars. What a steal.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2024, 12:28 PM   #9583
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
lol yah my gf was like oh man there's no cherry blossoms in Calgary... I was like yah that's true but is it worth being a minimum of $1M in debt to see tree flowers for 1 week a year? All those trees are scraggly sticks the other 358 days lolol

We can come back that time of year and stay for free here if the heart desires.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:32 PM   #9584
Performance Moderator

I added speaker wadding and foam and subwoofer ports for the Supra, drilling through brand new parts was extremely nerve wracking despite the relative simplicity of the task lol… the sound system is light night and day better after though, massive improvement and looks pretty factory!

This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2024, 01:20 PM   #9585
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Those subs come factory? I’m surprised that works, you’d think they would have engineered the enclosure for the supplied components.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:44 PM   #9586
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Isn't it still snowing in Ontario
Snow everywhere

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 04:55 PM   #9587
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I added speaker wadding and foam and subwoofer ports for the Supra, drilling through brand new parts was extremely nerve wracking despite the relative simplicity of the task lol… the sound system is light night and day better after though, massive improvement and looks pretty factory!

https://i.imgur.com/xCMar6g.jpeg
Interesting, I did that to my model 3 stock subwoofer....no difference at all. could be the location. Then I replaced the stock 8inch with a kicker. Sooo much better.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:20 PM   #9588
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
^ Woofer boxes are a science, you drill a random hole may not make it sound louder or more responsive.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:44 PM   #9589
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
The port size and length matter big time on a subwoofer box. The length and size determine the tuning of the box. if your port is too small you will get port noise. ported boxes also have to be larger.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:28 AM   #9590
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Those subs come factory? I’m surprised that works, you’d think they would have engineered the enclosure for the supplied components.
It's definitely something Toyota didn't put much thought into. I'm not surprised either, the sound system in the GR Corolla is apparently pretty awful as well...

I actually think the "box" is the main problem on the Supra, it's an empty metal chamber so the sound just bounces around in there cancelling itself out. It's had to describe how the bass sounded before, but "muddy" is what 1 person described it as and that seems apt. No clarity and no punch. I think the adding of speaker wadding inside the box is probably the biggest help, I should have tested it halfway through to see.

They're Harmon Kardon subs too so they're not exactly no name brand.

The other problem on the Supra is that the fake engine noise is piped through the driver side sub, so that causes some distortion and there's no way to turn it off without bimmercode which I haven't looked into yet. I really hate the grills they put on the factory subs too hahaha... looks like something you'd buy at Canadian Tire.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:33 AM   #9591
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Try drilling a hole in that too.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:59 AM   #9592
Performance Moderator

You could also try posting something useful / relevant once in awhile
Old 04-08-2024, 11:03 AM   #9593
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Would be interesting to find the specs of the factory woofers and adapt the box as close as you can, tune the port as needed. Bring back the early 2000’s subwoofer forum lol I could see the rubber sound deadoning inside the metal enclosure would help too.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:30 AM   #9594
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
It's definitely something Toyota didn't put much thought into. I'm not surprised either, the sound system in the GR Corolla is apparently pretty awful as well...

I actually think the "box" is the main problem on the Supra, it's an empty metal chamber so the sound just bounces around in there cancelling itself out. It's had to describe how the bass sounded before, but "muddy" is what 1 person described it as and that seems apt. No clarity and no punch. I think the adding of speaker wadding inside the box is probably the biggest help, I should have tested it halfway through to see.

They're Harmon Kardon subs too so they're not exactly no name brand.

The other problem on the Supra is that the fake engine noise is piped through the driver side sub, so that causes some distortion and there's no way to turn it off without bimmercode which I haven't looked into yet. I really hate the grills they put on the factory subs too hahaha... looks like something you'd buy at Canadian Tire.
The HK systems on BMWs have their ups and downs throughout the years. It was noted that they used to actually do some engineering on making the system sound good but now the HK system is just a bunch of speakers slapped in willy nilly.

Depends on which parts bin bucket your system came from, it could be decent or awful.
The HK system in my M3 is pretty awful and I've been looking into upgrading it. The amp is under powered and the speakers themselves aren't great quality. That's the F chassis HK.
I sat in a friend's F98 X4M (here's the confusing bit, the M cars have their own code and all intents and purposes, the F98 is based on the G02 X4 but they gave it a F chassis code) and he has HK in his. The system sounds a lot better in his car than mine, so it seems like the G chassis parts bin has a better setup.

Now your Supra, the chassis shared with the Z4 which is a G chassis, but the interior bits are all F chassis bin stuff so I have no idea what you got. To upgrade the system is a bitch as well.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 12:49 PM   #9595
Performance Moderator

Yah it looks like it, I saw on the MKV forums doign the sound system was a massive endeavour... some guy who design sub boxes posted this solution and it's one of the most popular threads/mods on the forum so I figured nothing to lose. It is defintiely a big improvement. It's still not great, I honestly think the sound system in my 2004 Lexus IS300 sounds better, but it's way better than before.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:22 PM   #9596
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Yah it looks like it, I saw on the MKV forums doign the sound system was a massive endeavour... some guy who design sub boxes posted this solution and it's one of the most popular threads/mods on the forum so I figured nothing to lose. It is defintiely a big improvement. It's still not great, I honestly think the sound system in my 2004 Lexus IS300 sounds better, but it's way better than before.
From my research, if you don't want to rip the whole thing out and start scratch figuring out wire by wire, this is the amp to get as you can get a PnP harness

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/up-10dsp

You can pair it with speakers of your liking, and get your iDrive coded to match it.

This is a Bavsound pnp speaker replacement review on a F3x 3 series
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=audio+upgrade
Bavsound... depending who you talk to, are positive or negative. I think it's pretty unanimous that ppl say it's an upgrade by just replacing the speakers, but audiophiles say their speakers suck and it's a deadend upgrade. I did note a few ppl have said the HK amp is not powerful enough for the Bavsound speakers and once you turn it up it clips.

I'm looking into the Match up10dsp myself, but as a "budget upgrade" with "minimal hassle" is still quite an endeavor, nevermind that it's probably going to be at least 5k all said and done.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2024, 03:12 PM   #9597
Performance Moderator

Yah $5k isn't going into my sound system for sure... I'd rather get TE37's for that price hahaha
Old 04-08-2024, 08:19 PM   #9598
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Ewwwwwwwww te37s, you wanna look like every other civic and supra on the road?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:31 AM   #9599
Performance Moderator

That is a problem... and will most likely go another route because of it... it's tough because they work so well on it. Thankfully Volk has taken care of making it impossible to get TE's in a decent colour anymore (black, bronze and blue?!) and pricing them into the stratosphere, so it's unlikely to happen.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:53 PM   #9600
I bringith the lowerballerith

i think the supra can pull off a set of 3 spokes... i wonder if advan has a updated version of the super advan
red kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote